Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? (6490 Views)

Poll: Theresa Vs Oyedepo: Which of them inspires you MORE?

Mother Theresa: 70% (49 votes)
Bishop David Oyedepo: 30% (21 votes)
This poll has ended

The Actual Declaration Of Bishop David Oyedepo. / Bishop David Oyedepo Barred From Entering The UK / Mother Theresa As A Great Christian / Catholic Example :: Fable Or Fact? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by LoveKing(m): 4:46am On Jun 05, 2011
who would you choose as your role model?
who do you think will inspire you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Oyedepo
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by emailguru: 5:19am On Jun 05, 2011
I am inspired by David Oyedekpo. The man is awesome.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 05, 2011
One is a CEO involved in gospel

The other one is a shining example of God's love
"Our Lord wants me to be a free nun covered with the poverty of the cross. Today I learned a good lesson. The poverty of the poor must be so hard for them. While looking for a home I walked and walked till my arms and legs ached. I thought how much they must ache in body and soul, looking for a home, food and health. Then the comfort of Loreto [her former order] came to tempt me. 'You have only to say the word and all that will be yours again,' the Tempter kept on saying , Of free choice, my God, and out of love for you, I desire to remain and do whatever be your Holy will in my regard. I did not let a single tear come"
"
"Mother Teresa wrote many letters to her confessors and superiors over a 66-year period. She had asked that her letters be destroyed, concerned that "people will think more of me—less of Jesus"

Those inspired by one are inspired because of wealth and materialism.

The other inspires those who choose to seek God, and fully depend on Him.

There's no choice for me. I know who my role model is.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 05, 2011
I'm inspired by the dead one. All these christians hollering about prosperity should read about her love for "poverty".
I bet she wouldn't get away with this kind of love in today's world. But again, Oyedepo is running a much more simpler scam and people still can't figure it out.

The quality of care offered to terminally ill patients in the Homes for the Dying has been criticised in the medical press, notably The Lancet who is owned by Reed Elsevier and the British Medical Journal, which reported the reuse of hypodermic needles, poor living conditions, including the use of cold baths for all patients, and an approach to illness and suffering that precluded the use of many elements of modern medical care, such as systematic diagnosis.[3] Dr. Robin Fox, editor of The Lancet, described the medical care as "haphazard", as volunteers without medical knowledge had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors. He observed that the order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.[4] The spending of the charity money received has also been criticized by some. Christopher Hitchens and the German magazine Stern have said Mother Teresa did not focus donated money on alleviating poverty or improving the conditions of her hospices, but on opening new convents and increasing missionary work.[5]

Additionally, the sources of some donations accepted and the lack of transparency have been criticized. The Missionaries of Charity accepted donations from the autocratic and corrupt Duvalier family in Haiti and Mother Teresa openly praised them. She also accepted 1.4 million dollars from Charles Keating, involved in the fraud and corruption scheme known as the Keating Five scandal and supported him before and after his arrest. The Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles, Paul Turley, wrote to Mother Teresa asking her to return the donated money to the people Keating had stolen from, one of whom was "a poor carpenter". The donated money was not accounted for, and Turley did not receive a reply.[6]

Christopher Hitchens was the only witness called by the Vatican to give evidence against Mother Teresa's beatification and canonization process,[98] because the Vatican had abolished the traditional "devil's advocate" role, which fulfilled a similar purpose.[99] Hitchens has argued that "her intention was not to help people," and he alleged that she lied to donors about the use of their contributions. “It was by talking to her that I discovered, and she assured me, that she wasn't working to alleviate poverty,” says Hitchens. “She was working to expand the number of Catholics. She said, ‘I'm not a social worker. I don't do it for this reason. I do it for Christ. I do it for the church.’”[100]

In the process of examining Teresa's suitability for beatification and canonization, the Roman Curia (the Vatican) pored over a great deal of documentation of published and unpublished criticism of her life and work. Vatican officials say Hitchens's allegations have been investigated by the agency charged with such matters, the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, and they found no obstacle to Mother Teresa's beatification. Because of the attacks she has received, some Catholic writers have called her a sign of contradiction.[101] The beatification of Mother Teresa took place on 19 October 2003, thereby bestowing on her the title "Blessed."[102]

A second miracle is required for her to proceed to canonization.

musKeeto:

The other one is a shining example of God's love"

True Talk!!!!!  grin

Mother Teresa's philosophy and implementation have faced some criticism. Catholic newspaper editor David Scott wrote that Mother Teresa limited herself to keeping people alive rather than tackling poverty itself.[42]

She has also been criticized for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus.[43] Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International , criticised the failure to give pain killers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could “hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers are even in hard cases not given. According to Mother Teresa's bizarre philosophy, it is ‘the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ’.”[44]

Joagbaje and co, this is how a real "saint" gets down with Jesus.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 7:03am On Jun 05, 2011
The topic of this post should be changed to 'who is a true christian? Mother theresa or david oyedepo!
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 7:06am On Jun 05, 2011
Being a true christian means following the undiluted teachings of christ which is centred on showing God's love to others.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 7:10am On Jun 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

The topic of this post should be changed to 'who is a true christian? Mother theresa or david oyedepo!

KunleOshob:

Being a true christian means following the undiluted teachings of christ which is centred on showing God's love to others.

Well they both show love, just in different ways. They are both "true christians" because they both do it for Jesus.

Let people suffer needlessly to make them feel closer to Jesus? Mother Teresa did.

Give inspirational and motivational speeches based on Jesus and get paid well for it? Oyedepo is said to be doing quite well.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 7:21am On Jun 05, 2011
^^^
Yeah right! Oyedepo shows love only to his own greedy pocket!
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

^^^
Yeah right! Oyedepo shows love only to his own greedy pocket!

Maybe he dooes show love to his pockets but that doesn't make him less christian than any other christian. As long as he keeps professing jesus as his lord and saviour he will remain a christian, regardless of his pockets.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by thehomer: 7:46am On Jun 05, 2011
Neither of them is inspiring.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jun 05, 2011
Martian:

I'm inspired by the dead one. All these christians hollering about prosperity should read about her love for "poverty".
I bet she wouldn't get away with this kind of love in today's world. But again, Oyedepo is running a much more simpler scam and people still can't figure it out.

The quality of care offered to terminally ill patients in the Homes for the Dying has been criticised in the medical press, notably The Lancet who is owned by Reed Elsevier and the British Medical Journal, which reported the reuse of hypodermic needles, poor living conditions, including the use of cold baths for all patients, and an approach to illness and suffering that precluded the use of many elements of modern medical care, such as systematic diagnosis.[3] Dr. Robin Fox, editor of The Lancet, described the medical care as "haphazard", as volunteers without medical knowledge had to make decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors. He observed that the order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.[4] The spending of the charity money received has also been criticized by some. Christopher Hitchens and the German magazine Stern have said Mother Teresa did not focus donated money on alleviating poverty or improving the conditions of her hospices, but on opening new convents and increasing missionary work.[5]

Additionally, the sources of some donations accepted and the lack of transparency have been criticized. The Missionaries of Charity accepted donations from the autocratic and corrupt Duvalier family in Haiti and Mother Teresa openly praised them. She also accepted 1.4 million dollars from Charles Keating, involved in the fraud and corruption scheme known as the Keating Five scandal and supported him before and after his arrest. The Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles, Paul Turley, wrote to Mother Teresa asking her to return the donated money to the people Keating had stolen from, one of whom was "a poor carpenter". The donated money was not accounted for, and Turley did not receive a reply.[6]

Christopher Hitchens was the only witness called by the Vatican to give evidence against Mother Teresa's beatification and canonization process,[98] because the Vatican had abolished the traditional "devil's advocate" role, which fulfilled a similar purpose.[99] Hitchens has argued that "her intention was not to help people," and he alleged that she lied to donors about the use of their contributions. “It was by talking to her that I discovered, and she assured me, that she wasn't working to alleviate poverty,” says Hitchens. “She was working to expand the number of Catholics. She said, ‘I'm not a social worker. I don't do it for this reason. I do it for Christ. I do it for the church.’”[100]

In the process of examining Teresa's suitability for beatification and canonization, the Roman Curia (the Vatican) pored over a great deal of documentation of published and unpublished criticism of her life and work. Vatican officials say Hitchens's allegations have been investigated by the agency charged with such matters, the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, and they found no obstacle to Mother Teresa's beatification. Because of the attacks she has received, some Catholic writers have called her a sign of contradiction.[101] The beatification of Mother Teresa took place on 19 October 2003, thereby bestowing on her the title "Blessed."[102]

A second miracle is required for her to proceed to canonization.

True Talk!!!!!  grin

Mother Teresa's philosophy and implementation have faced some criticism. Catholic newspaper editor David Scott wrote that Mother Teresa limited herself to keeping people alive rather than tackling poverty itself.[42]

She has also been criticized for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus.[43] Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International , criticised the failure to give pain killers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could “hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers are even in hard cases not given. According to Mother Teresa's bizarre philosophy, it is ‘the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ’.”[44]

Joagbaje and co, this is how a real "saint" gets down with Jesus.

Thanks, Martian. Just did a google search on criticism of mother theresa. can't believe what i'm reading,

Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by EarsWide(m): 8:45am On Jun 05, 2011
I am just reading up on the criticisms of Mother Theresa now so I will hold fire on her, however Oyedepo is a charlatan - who should not inspire anyone.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 8:47am On Jun 05, 2011
@Martian
Obviously you have very little idea what it means to be a true christian. Being a christian is not so much as professing christ but more of following in his footsteps and teachings.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 05, 2011
Jesus inspires me the MOST.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

@Martian
Obviously you have very little idea what it means to be a true christian. Being a christian is not so much as professing christ but more of following in his footsteps and teachings.

Really? So who's a real christian if Oyedepo is not?  How is he not following jesus' teachings when it is the same teachings that have made him rich?  He also spreads the word like jesus commanded in the book.

Are you a "true christian"?  If so, lets use you, "the true christian" as a yardstick to judge the rest of your brethren.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 05, 2011
After reading the criticism on Mother Theresa, I've come to a conclusion that christianity is between a single soul and God. Looking at people can be devastating. Imagine being blown by a wind and hanging onto a tree for dear life, only for that tree to be uprooted too, that's how it feels when supposedly MOG and others use the Word to benefit their pockets.

The life of Jesus was about love, love God, love your neighbours, I'll stick to that.

Jesus, though full of the Holy Spirit, surprisingly never spoke in tongues. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong

1 Like

Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Micuilles: 9:25am On Jun 05, 2011
@ muskeeto,

Please read your bible very well. Groaning in the spirit refers to praying in the spirit which is speaking in tongues. Jesus spoke in tongues at the grave of Lazarus. Read John 11;31-38. He did this twice in this instance.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 05, 2011
musKeeto:

After reading the criticism on Mother Theresa, I've come to a conclusion that christianity is between a single soul and God. Looking at people can be devastating. Imagine being blown by a wind and hanging onto a tree for dear life, only for that tree to be uprooted too, that's how it feels when supposedly MOG and others use the Word to benefit their pockets.

The life of Jesus was about love, love God, love your neighbours, I'll stick to that.

Jesus, though full of the Holy Spirit, surprisingly never spoke in tongues. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong

You shouldn't say that. He was probably speaking exclusively in tongues between the ages of 12 and 30 and no one could understand him. But he could also have joined a traveling circus and spent time wrestling bears and tigers.

Micuilles:

@ muskeeto,

Please read your bible very well. Groaning in the spirit refers to praying in the spirit which is speaking in tongues. Jesus spoke in tongues at the grave of Lazarus. Read John 11;31-38. He did this twice in this instance.

So  does "speaking in tongues" mean you are speaking a "spiritual" language which sounds a lot like gibberish or does it mean you are speaking an extant language that can be understood by the people you are preaching to?

Acts 2:5-11 , 'And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.'
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 05, 2011
I think you should read your Bible

John 11:31-38
31When the Jews who were sitting with her in the house and consoling her saw how hastily Mary had arisen and gone out, they followed her, supposing that she was going to the tomb to pour out her grief there.
32When Mary came to the place where Jesus was and saw Him, she dropped down at His feet, saying to Him, Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
33When Jesus saw her sobbing, and the Jews who came with her [also] sobbing, He was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. [He chafed in spirit and sighed and was disturbed.]
34And He said, Where have you laid him? They said to Him, Lord, come and see.
35Jesus wept.
36The Jews said, See how [tenderly] He loved him!
37But some of them said, Could not He Who opened a blind man's eyes have prevented this man from dying?
38Now Jesus, again sighing repeatedly and deeply disquieted, approached the tomb. It was a cave (a hole in the rock), and a boulder lay against [the entrance to close] it.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 05, 2011
Brethren stop following MEN and follow JESUS otherwise you will end up in the ditch!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 05, 2011
musKeeto:

I think you should read your Bible

John 11:31-38
31When the Jews who were sitting with her in the house and consoling her saw how hastily Mary had arisen and gone out, they followed her, supposing that she was going to the tomb to pour out her grief there.
32When Mary came to the place where Jesus was and saw Him, she dropped down at His feet, saying to Him, Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
33When Jesus saw her sobbing, and the Jews who came with her [also] sobbing, He was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. [He chafed in spirit and sighed and was disturbed.]
34And He said, Where have you laid him? They said to Him, Lord, come and see.
35Jesus wept.
36The Jews said, See how [tenderly] He loved him!
37But some of them said, Could not He Who opened a blind man's eyes have prevented this man from dying?
38Now Jesus, again sighing repeatedly and deeply disquieted, approached the tomb. It was a cave (a hole in the rock), and a boulder lay against [the entrance to close] it.

The bible is always open for interpretation so maybe he really does think that jesus spoke in tongues in these verses.
Yea, I agree with him! Jesus did indeed speak in tongues, you just have to have the "spirit of discernment".

frosbel:

Brethren stop following MEN and follow JESUS otherwise you will end up in the ditch!!!!!!!!!!

Well since you seem to know where jesus is because you're following him, could you tell folks where they can meet him, the location, time and a brief description of what he looks like. This way people can stop being fooled by MOGs.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by thehomer: 5:21pm On Jun 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

@Martian

So just who is a True Christian?
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Joagbaje(m): 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2011
Some are called to be among the peasants , others can minister to kings . They are all of God,

Compare Jesus and John who inpired you.

Matthew 11:18-19
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. 19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Who is real between them?

1 Like

Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2011
thehomer:

So just who is a True Christian?

A true christian is someone who believes and puts into practise the teachings of our lord Jesus christ. Practise being the key word. Oyedepo is certainly not practising the true teachings of christ.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by thehomer: 6:24pm On Jun 05, 2011
KunleOshob:

A true christian is someone who believes and puts into practise the teachings of our lord Jesus christ. Practise being the key word. Oyedepo is certainly not practising the true teachings of christ.

Can you please name five people who are True Christians?
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2011
thehomer:

Can you please name five people who are True Christians?

While he is at it, it would be nice if he could name five true Scotsmen as well.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by kabukabu50(m): 6:13am On Jun 06, 2011
Mother Theresa,easy, grin grin
Oyedepo is a fraud.

Mother theresa had no mansions,gulfstream jets or megachurches,she spent her life with the lowly folks in the slums of India.No ostentatious possesions like Oyede-fraud grin grin
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by thehomer: 6:25am On Jun 06, 2011
Idehn:

While he is at it, it would be nice if he could name five true Scotsmen as well.

You've beaten me to it.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by airzzee(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2011
emailguru:

I am inspired by David Oyedepo. The man is awesome.

Obviously, many people here do NOT understand what Christianity is all about. There is no basis for comparison b/w Mother Theresa, who followed the steps of Christ, visited war-torn areas, had no inheritance, nor private jet (like Christ), enjoyed not the pleasures of this world; and Oyedepo, who is already comforted in the world by his riches, amassed from poor people's pockets. Jesus did NOT take from the multitudes, He gave to them at every preaching.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by JAZES(m): 6:58am On Jun 06, 2011
musKeeto:

The other one is a shining example of God's love
"Our Lord wants me to be a free nun covered with the poverty of the cross. Today I learned a good lesson. The poverty of the poor must be so hard for them. While looking for a home I walked and walked till my arms and legs ached. I thought how much they must ache in body and soul, looking for a home, food and health. Then the comfort of Loreto [her former order] came to tempt me. 'You have only to say the word and all that will be yours again,' the Tempter kept on saying , Of free choice, my God, and out of love for you, I desire to remain and do whatever be your Holy will in my regard. I did not let a single tear come"
"
"Mother Teresa wrote many letters to her confessors and superiors over a 66-year period. She had asked that her letters be destroyed, concerned that "people will think more of me—less of Jesus"

Those inspired by one are inspired because of wealth and materialism.

The other inspires those who choose to seek God, and fully depend on Him.

There's no choice for me. I know who my role model is.

You spoke my mind on this one.
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by Acidosis(m): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2011
People can be very funny atimes. What gives y'all the impression that the rich i.e Oyedepo is not a true christian. Oh! Because he has more money, you think he won't make heaven?
Re: Mother Theresa Or David Oyedepo: Who Inspires You? by KunleOshob(m): 7:53am On Jun 06, 2011
^^^

I did not say Oyedepo is not a true christian because he is rich! I said he is not a true christian becos his teachings and way of life does not conform with the teachings of christ. There is nothing wrong with being rich as far as christianity is concerned as far as the wealth is obtained legally and morally.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Believing In Jesus Without Obeying His Words' Like Building A House On Sand / Let God Love You Instead - Joseph Prince / Jehovah's Witnesses, Illuminati And The New World Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.