Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings (46789 Views)

4 Nigerian Slangs Currently Making The Rounds On Social Media / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ijustdey: 4:48am On Nov 05, 2021
By Ekaete Bassey

Youths in every nation have unique ways of expressing some things. A foreigner may find it hard at the beginning to decipher such words but may eventually succeed if they persevere over time and give their best shot at learning it.

Below are 13 uniquely interesting Nigerian slangs trending on the streets:

· E Choke

This was introduced by famous singer Davido. “E Choke” literarily means “It Chokes”. However, in the street language, it is an exclamatory remark for something overwhelming or extremely impressive.

When Nigerians see something or someone that goes beyond expectation, this slang is a way of expressing their surprise though it may be a bit exaggerated.

· E Restrict Airflow
This has the same meaning as “E Choke” but was initiated by another artiste Wizkid. Choking and having a restricted airflow have literarily the same interpretation and effect and the slangs have been used by Nigerians interchangeably.

“E restrict airflow” has also been used as a follow-up response to “E Choke”.

· We Meuuve

What started as an imitation of BBNaija 2020 star Vee Adeyele’s accent when she had a quarrel with her lover, Neo Akpofure during the show eventually became a popular slang.

Vee was heard telling Neo to “meuuve from the door” (move from the door) when the latter was trying to prevent her from leaving the room.

The words become better accepted as a motivational phrase and a way of Nigerians saying “life goes on.” Many tirades of woeful stories often end with “… but then, we meuuve!”

· KPK/OPP

When Nigerians say KPK, they are saying “Ko Po Ke?” Translated to English, it means “is it not plenty?”

This originates from a song by Chisom Ezeh popularly known as Rexxie, featuring Mohbad. In the first line of the song, Rexxie said: “Ta lo sope ko po ke?” which means “who says it is not plenty?”

If a beautiful picture is seen online and the viewer comments with KPK, he/she is saying, who says this beauty is not plenty or is this not plenty?

The standard response to this question according to the original song is OPP (O Po Pa) and OPG (O Po Gan) and they mean “it is very plenty.”

· Tule

“Tule” is another of Davido’s many slang. In a video the pop star made, in reaction to the news of his rift with Burna Boy in Ghana, was seen shouting “Tule Joor, Tule Jare.”

“Tule” is a Yoruba word that means “free me, release me, or leave me.”

The word found its way unto many lips when many Nigerians started shouting “Tule” on social media for N2m cash that Davido promised to whoever could replicate his original video.

In the street vocabulary, “Tule” is used to tell people to drop a topic or leave you alone and stop bothering you.

· Who dey Breeett?

Who dey Breeett? is another slang invented by Davido that simply means “who is breathing?” in Pidgin English.

As simple as that sounds, it is actually questioning why anyone would be taking in the air freely after seeing what has been shown to them.

This is sort of related to another of the artiste’s slangs, “E choke” because when you see a beautiful photo for example, you are expected to “choke” on-air, hence the question, “who dey breeett?”

· Ma Fo

This is one of singer Naira Marley’s slangs that have stood the test of time and are still as famously used as the first day it was said.

Literarily, this is a Yoruba term that means “Don’t break” but in the real sense, it is saying, “don’t be intimidated or don’t be bothered.”

It can be simply used as “Ma Fo” which can also mean “don’t worry” and it can be stretched to a street line, “Omo Iya mi, ma fo, mo wa pelu e” which means, “My brother/sister, don’t be bothered, I am here with you.”

· Chop breakfast/ serve breakfast

It literally means we will all (eventually) have breakfast. Colloquially, it has come to mean this life na ‘turn by turn’ and everyone will definitely have a taste of everything, especially heart break.

On social media, when someone says “She don chop breakfast” or “She has been served breakfast”, it simply means her heart has been broken.

· Japa

This is a Nigerian slang derived from the Yoruba language which simply means ‘to run swiftly’ out of a dangerous situation.

To japa means to abort, run, avoid, terminate, retreat or remove yourself from a situation. If used in a sentence, it would be articulated like: “His girlfriend told him she was pregnant, that is why the guy japa”.

More importantly, it means to emigrate. “Almost every youth wants to japa from Naija.

· Sapa

The word ‘SAPA’ has been the most used word on social media lately and people have also used it to sing.

It is a term used in Pidgin English to describe a state of being extremely broke or poor, usually after spending extravagantly.

We can also call it spirit of poverty that targets one almost all the time.

Aza
This is a slang that simply means bank account digits. When a Nigerian says “send your aza”, he or she simply means send your account number.

Ment

Original word is ‘mental’. As a slang, it is used to question a person’s sanity or to say someone is outrigh mad. “You dey ment?” Or “All of una don ment.”

· We outside

This is a slang that simply means to be down alone or with buddies doing crazy stuffs in the streets. It’s used to say people are having fun outside the country.

When someone posts with friends or alone and captions it: “We outside”, the person is simply saying “We are having fun ‘outside’ (abroad).

https://thenationonlineng.net/13-trending-nigerian-slangs-and-their-meanings/amp/

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Bluntguy: 5:30am On Nov 05, 2021
This one na slang school ni.

5 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ItsGoodToBeGood: 6:02am On Nov 05, 2021
Lol, Which kind ajebo slang Wizkid dey drop.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Naturalobserver(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
Only "Aza" and "japa" amuse me

10 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by drizslim(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
Tule jor!
E shock u!
E choke!
E restrict air flow!

3 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Utanisco(m): 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2021
unam

1 Like

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by money121(m): 12:25pm On Nov 05, 2021
Ok
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 05, 2021
Na only japa dey my mind. I wan japa abeg

28 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
Sapa, nice one

4 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Realdeals(m): 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
Wetin?
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Success77x: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
Mtchew all this one na Ajebo slangs.

1. Bros eh, Senior man Oseh, original Epa, chairmolala, my head burn any how any how ooo, abeg make them sorry for me na.

Meaning: AM BROKE THEY SHOULD GIVE ME MONEY.

2. Come where you, no dey SHIJHUR ME ANYHOW O unless u want make kperelrel fall out

Meaning: don't talk to me anyhow if u don't want the beast in me to come out.

3. Okporkpite remember say this akada wen u fall in so na Accra o, cry your own cry if gbege burst out or kpesh don catch u well.

Meaning: fool remember you are a newbie in this school, u won't have anyone to call on when you finally go broke or hungry bcus is all man for himself.

Today na jumat so all mallam with him own kettle o.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
This na ajebo slang na enter warri or Benin(upper sakponba) make you for hear better slang..

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by slawormiir: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by tradepunter: 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2021
Ok
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ZhanVeera(f): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2021

2 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by candidbabe(f): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2021
Fast following
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Grace001: 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2021
Lori iro
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Kenneth10110(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
SAPA na the most common of all. Slawomir never cash out this month. as e be na matter wey no concern me i one dey choke mouth too.

3 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by EXLOVER(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
All this are mostly twitter and few social media slangs.

For street many people nor know all this weak ajebota slangs

7 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Memphitz357: 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
Nonsense post from a Nonsense OP and it has to be an extremely foolish MOD to bring this up to FP

5 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Xenry: 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
I ain't no big boy bro; I always use to avoid e-choke stories !

5 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Maxymilliano(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
Gibberish
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Newphil: 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2021
SAPA - Serious Absence of Purchasing Ability

Avoid SAPA by accessing latest tenders and contracts information on www.naijabusiness.com.ng

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by OgunkeelAllMod: 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2021
E choke no make sense abeg undecided Radarada

Youth of today no even get slang undecided

But yo-robber sabi form slang no be lie especially in Lagos.. Omo you go tire shocked cool
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by princeade86(m): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2021
The wizzy slang too long to pronounce

1 Like

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Jobio1(f): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2021
Hmm
Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Tonyspecial(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2021
Wetin girlfriend no like na hm i go dey do now

grin cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Richy4(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2021
If you will be writing IELTS in future just stay 200m away from this thread shocked...

7 Likes

Re: 13 Trending Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by harsysky(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2021
. Slangs no dey market again if these ones are slangs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olori Ola Adeyemi Builds House For Her Mother (Photos) / 7 Facts About The North / Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.