Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

7 Facts About The North - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Facts About The North (46800 Views)

Why Is Their A Decline In The Use Of Other Languages In The North? / The Problem With Nigeria Is The North / Who Says The Hausas Are Not Nice; My Experience In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Facts About The North by Mavrick2012: 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
(1) Their are about 73 DIFFERENT languages in Taraba state alone,48 in Plateau,60 in Bauchi,58 in Adamawa,57 in Kaduna,38 in Niger,29 in Nasarawa and 28 in Borno.

(2) Apart from Sokoto and Zamfara state, EVERY other state in the north has indigenous Christian population.

(3) Except Benue,kogi,plateau,Niger and Borno,the remaining 14 state's heads of traditional councils are all Fulanis.

(4) The sultan of sokoto is the only traditional leader that occupy's the highest number of offices in Nigeria:head of sokoto state traditional council,head of northern traditional council,chairman of the traditional council of Nigeria,head of Nigeria's muslim umma(congregation) and co-chairman of Nigeria's interfaith council.He also functions in various offices common with Nigerian traditional and religious leaders.

(5) A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

(6) After "sekin uku",i.e third divorce,a northern muslim can remarry his divorced wife only if she (a) marry's another man,(b)have sex with him atleast once and (c)get a divorce from that man.

(7) Boko haram was founded and being run by Kanuris (not Hausa/Fulanis)

25 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 12, 2013
Still can't believe this TIV's crazy culture.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2013
^yes I agree. whats wrong with these Tiv

and i thought Adamawa has more languages. . tongue

also the Etsu Nupe of NIger is not pure Nupe. HE is half-bred FUlani-Nupe.

The True and REAL pure Etsu Nupe RUlers, desendants of the Nupe Prince Jimada, are still fighting for their claim to the throne from Patigi, north-East of Bida and are protesting against this foreign rule.

also Saarkin Daura of Katsina State is a FUll-blooded Hausa and a descendant of BAyanjidda.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Afam4eva(m): 6:26am On Jan 17, 2013
So, it's Taraba that houses most of Nigeria's languages.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^yes I agree. whats wrong with these Tiv

and i thought Adamawa has more languages. . tongue

also the Etsu Nupe of NIger is not pure Nupe. HE is half-bred FUlani-Nupe.

The True and REAL pure Etsu Nupe RUlers, desendants of the Nupe Prince Jimada, are still fighting for their claim to the throne from Patigi, north-East of Bida and are protesting against this foreign rule.

also Saarkin Daura of Katsina State is a FUll-blooded Hausa and a descendant of BAyanjidda.

Interesting. I had thought it was only Emir Bauchi that was fullblooded Hausa but not necessarily a Bayajida descendant.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ifyalways(f): 2:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
Interesting.

Quick question, do they understand themselves and do they have a common/generally accepted and understood language?(Taraba state and co that are multi lingual)

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by SeunPlus(f): 11:03am On Jan 19, 2013
Educative thread
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
bokohalal:

Interesting. I had thought it was only Emir Bauchi that was fullblooded Hausa but not necessarily a Bayajida descendant.

who told you that? Emir Bauchi is Fulani. His ancestor was one of the commanders of Usumane Dan Fodio.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:21pm On Jan 19, 2013
ifyalways: Interesting.

Quick question, do they understand themselves and do they have a common/generally accepted and understood language?(Taraba state and co that are multi lingual)

Hausa is catching up these days. but what is annoying is that, many non-Hausa tribes are becoming Hausaized and losing their own languages. sad

5 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 7:31am On Jan 20, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

who told you that? Emir Bauchi is Fulani. His ancestor was one of the commanders of Usumane Dan Fodio.
Agreed he was one of the commanders but he was not Fulani.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by cfours: 8:11am On Jan 20, 2013
this should be on the front page.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by ezeagu(m): 9:39am On Jan 20, 2013
I still don't believe that language thing. I think that is mainly due to ethnicity.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 1:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
bokohalal:
Agreed he was one of the commanders but he was not Fulani.
He was the only nonfulani flagbearer and from a sub-Hausa group, the Gerawa.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2013
Mavrick2012: (5)A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.

Wow.

I was wondering if the rumors I heard about this practice are actually true.
How disgusting.
In this day and age people are still using their wives to serve as entertainment for visitors.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by Paschal007: 6:07pm On Jan 20, 2013
Mavrick2012: (5)A traditional Tiv man allows his "special" visitor or relation to make love to his wife.
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
bokohalal:
He was the only nonfulani flagbearer and from a sub-Hausa group, the Gerawa.

hmm i think you are right. Gerawa rulers are actually called Nallo. many still practice Trad. religion. even muslims.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by achi4u(m): 11:34pm On Jan 20, 2013
fellis:

Wow.

I was wondering if the rumors I heard about this practice are actually true.
How disgusting.
In this day and age people are still using their wives to serve as entertainment for visitors.
Too disgusting!

But I don't think such traditions were still in existence.

*the fear of dreaded HIV..
Re: 7 Facts About The North by achi4u(m): 11:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

hmm i think you are right. Gerawa rulers are actually called Nallo. many still practice Trad. religion. even muslims.
PAGAN thanks for the info...

Alot of language in Taraba state.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 4:05am On Jan 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Thank you. Now,how did the Jihad miss out on Daura being one of the major Hausa states ?

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by bokohalal(m): 5:07am On Jan 21, 2013
^^ Just found out it was the British that made a Hausa Emir. The Fulanis had conquered Daura and had a Fulani Emir.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
achi4u: PAGAN thanks for the info...

Alot of language in Taraba state.

noo problem! wink

bokohalal: ^^ Just found out it was the British that made a Hausa Emir. The Fulanis had conquered Daura and had a Fulani Emir.

yes thats right. they chose him from one of the descendants of Bayanjidda who was running a rebel kingdom against the Fulani. that is about one of he only good hings the british did. ateast Daura has helped preserve Hausa history and culture.

btw Saarkin Argungu is also a Hausa Emir. today Argungu is a Hotbed of Hausa festivals, religion, culture, tribal sub-goups ,etc.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by lekkie073(m): 6:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
the tiv culture cannot be said to be disgusting ib so far as its with the consent of the couple. even the eskimos do that!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Facts About The North by gst101: 2:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
it not the way you people see it, tiv. That practice is no longer found among them that is if it was ever found.

from our judeo-christian mentality, looking at what we acuse the tiv people of doing, we may get the wrong impression. They did not do it for imorality and abuse of the woman no! They did it (if they ever did) to show hospitality and pls dont laugh. That was the rationale behind it. It will be very wrong to judge the people with our judeo-christian thinking.

It is just like judging jews in the time of jesus for marrying underaged girls. Jesus' mother was underaged when she got married and had a son.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 4:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
gst101: it not the way you people see it, tiv. That practice is no longer found among them that is if it was ever found.

from our judeo-christian mentality, looking at what we acuse the tiv people of doing, we may get the wrong impression. They did not do it for imorality and abuse of the woman no! They did it (if they ever did) to show hospitality and pls dont laugh. That was the rationale behind it. It will be very wrong to judge the people with our judeo-christian thinking.

It is just like judging jews in the time of jJesus for marrying underaged girls. Jesus' mother was underaged when she got married and had a son.

^^off point.
How old do you KNOW Mary was by the way?

Wife (and husband) sharing is simply disgusting.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About The North by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:23pm On Jan 22, 2013
gst101: it not the way you people see it, tiv. That practice is no longer found among them that is if it was ever found.

I agree. also the visitors were Tiv men i am sure.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 22, 2013

It is just like judging jews in the time of jesus for marrying underaged girls. Jesus' mother was underaged when she got married and had a son.

I really hope the practice no longer goes on. Rumors are still going round that it hasn't stopped though.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 22, 2013
some-girl:

^^off point.
How old do you KNOW Mary was by the way?
Wife (and husband) sharing is simply disgusting.

Women were probably twelve to fourteen years old when they got married. This was the normal age for girls to be married. But men normally would marry around 18 to early twenties.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 1:34pm On Jan 23, 2013
fellis:

Women were probably twelve to fourteen years old when they got married. This was the normal age for girls to be married. But men normally would marry around 18 to early twenties.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2013
[quote author=some-girl][/quote]

Cultures differed back then. Girls were married off very early in many parts of the world. Nothing strange about that.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 2:13pm On Jan 23, 2013
fellis:

Cultures differed back then. Girls were married off very early in many parts of the world. Nothing strange about that.
I agree and they still do.

Point is, if you are going to refer to (a) particular person(s), you have to provide some kind of proof.
Re: 7 Facts About The North by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jan 23, 2013
some-girl:

I agree and they still do.
Point is, if you are going to refer to (a) particular person(s), you have to provide some kind of proof.

Lol. Many sources and accounts say that Mary married Joseph when she was twelve. I don't know how you are unaware of this.
[size=2pt]inb4 epic butthurt response[/size]
Re: 7 Facts About The North by somegirl1: 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
fellis:

Lol. Many sources and accounts say that Mary married Joseph when she was twelve. I don't know how you are unaware of this.
[size=2pt]inb4 epic butthurt response[/size]

I'm not unaware of what some sources say. With the advent of the internet, many couch researchers now have a voice.
A fourteen year old married to an 18yr old is fair enough.
One married to a much older man is disgusting regardless of culture.
Just as wife and/or husband sharing are just plain nasty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero Is Dead! Emir Of Kano's Uncle Dies / Unoaku Anyadike Visits The Ooni Of Ife (photo) / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.