Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,920 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title (18922 Views)

Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain Welterweight Title (Video) / Kamaru Usman Knocks Out Jorge Masvidal, Retains UFC Title (Photos, Video) / Isreal Adesanya Beats Paulo Costa To Retain UFC Middleweight Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by ManirBK: 12:02pm On Nov 07, 2021
Kamaru Usman retained his welterweight championship with a hard-earned win over Colby Covington in the main event of UFC 268 at Madison Square Garden in New York on Sunday morning.

The ‘Nigerian Nightmare’ took the fight via unanimous decision after five tough rounds, though the champion’s 19th straight victory and a fifth successful defence of his belt was well deserved, given his superior striking power and the fact that he almost finished ‘Chaos’ near the end of round two after landing a couple of massive left hooks.
It’s a second win over Covington for Usman – the first arrived just under two years ago and was a classic in the welterweight division – and the fact that this fight went the distance and was again very evenly-matched suggests that this rivalry is not done yet.

“I know there was a lot of trash talk, a lot of bad blood here and I’m sure there’s still gonna be some after tonight, but this guy’s a tough son of a b****, he’s tough as s***. I wanted to get crazy, try get him out of there, but I knew with a guy like this, he’s gonna creep back in it and we’re gonna end up in a situation [going to the judges’ score cards] that we don’t want to be in,” said Usman after the fight.
He added, “I am the pound-for-pound best alive right now.”

The co-main event saw Rose Namajunas retain her women’s strawweight title with a split decision win in a rematch with Zhang Weili. While the pair’s first fight lasted less than 90 seconds earlier this year – with Namajunas claiming a stunning knockout – this one went the full 25 minutes and had the champ narrowly edging it on the score cards thanks to her superior ground game.

“I was pretty confident that I won it,” said ‘Thug Rose’ in her post-fight interview. “The first couple of rounds were pretty close, wasn’t sure what was going on, but I was just present in the moment and I wasn’t even too worried about the result.”

She added, “I had a feeling it was gonna be a way tougher fight… and she improved a lot, so I give her some props.”

The main card opened with Justin Gaethje overcoming Michael Chandler via unanimous decision in a lightweight match; before Shane Burgos out-pointed Billy Quarantillo in the featherweight division; and Marlon Vera defeated Frankie Edgar in a bantamweight clash, with the former claiming victory thanks to a front-kick TKO in the third and final round.
The next UFC event is a Fight Night at the APEX Facility in Las Vegas on the late evening of Saturday 13 November, headlined by a featherweight bout between Max Holloway and Yair Rodriguez.

UFC 268 – Main card results
Main event: Welterweight championship: Kamaru Usman def. Colby Covington via unanimous decision (48-47 48-47 49-46), R5, 5:00

Co-main: Women’s strawweight championship: Rose Namajunas def. Zhang Weili via split decision (47-48 48-47 49-46), R5, 5:00

https://leadership.ng/nigerian-nightmare-usman-beats-covington-to-retain-ufc-title/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Sirheny007(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
Congratulations.

But this guy better not visit the harbinger of evil and bad omen installed in Aso Rock.

The way his career will spiral downwards, he go know say Katsina Juju no be here.

grin grin

38 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by isram: 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
If you like go visit Buhari, waitin happen to Anthony Joshua go happen to u

24 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by TheGameYard(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
Quick question. Did he snap with Buhari?

4 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by nnanyereugo(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
Nice

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Uco01(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
That's great

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by YourNextLevel(m): 3:52pm On Nov 07, 2021
Hh

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Boogyman557: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool WTF MAN

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Sambai65(m): 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2021
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Walins: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2021
Keep it on brother

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by jayrock(m): 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2021
Edo power is working…

4 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by rabokav: 3:53pm On Nov 07, 2021
Yet to have a contact with Buhari that's why he is still winning

Anybody that comes in contact with the FAILURE PERSONIFIED begins to lose

Woe unto the useless mannequin
Woe unto the vulture griller

9 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by westlius(m): 3:54pm On Nov 07, 2021
TheGameYard:
Quick question. Did he snap with Buhari?
So u want him to loose abi

5 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Yeyeboi05(m): 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
Edo man

2 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by treatise: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
isram:
If you like go visit Buhari, waitin happen to Anthony Joshua go happen to u
Judging from your experience?

2 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by BlackPantherxXx: 3:55pm On Nov 07, 2021
grin

Kamoru... with his name sef. He can beat you to a pulp.

3 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by arthurwillia(m): 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2021
Yoruba Muslim be doing wonders!! Glory glory Yoruba Muslims

Lol I know say edo people go still come fight me, come I d ready.

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by kennyjam: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2021
Yeyeboi05:
Edo man

Kogi state I heard he's from

2 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by fourboys: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2021
Our naija man, keep making us proud

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by googlepikins: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2021
Nairaland e don do Na , how many times una wan post am

5 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by JavaScript90: 3:56pm On Nov 07, 2021
great. he has proven to deserve his name 'nightmare' after turning 'chaos' into peace
Hello, I am a fullstack web developer. I develop all types of website. I major in developing complex custom website and mobile apps for businesses and startups. If you have an idea and need a competent programmer to translate your idea into codes, I am the right man for the job.
I also have a nice real estate website for sale specially designed for the Nigerian market
Click my username to see my WhatsApp number on my profile

1 Like

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by tamafa: 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
Well deserved victory
Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by abbey621(m): 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
Congrats champ but he was sloppy in this fight especially when loading his punches but when you are champ you can afford to take risks. There is no more competition in this weight class, the most they can do now is offer him a big payday to lose a fight or move him into the next weight class, the guy is just too dominant.

5 Likes

Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by pointstores(m): 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
Nice
Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by mrkings84(m): 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
What our politicians can't do our sportsmen are going.
Nigeria shall be great again!

Congrats Usman
Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Analyst7: 3:57pm On Nov 07, 2021
Na this guy suppose beat buhari
Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Reperod: 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2021
Anthony Joshua shouldn't have met with Buhari, he would have retained his title
Re: Kamaru Usman Beats Colby Covington To Retain UFC Title by Omicron007: 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2021
shocked

Congratulations Kamaru.

But for your own safety and more success, decline any visit by that lifeless vegetable in Aso Rock and don't go close to that Nigerian Billionaire's daughter who is doing her masters in Oxford and also a Disc Jockey with a dog that licks her cuntus.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rohr Still In Search Of Quality World Cup Goalkeeper, To Assess Ezenwa With CHAN / Atletico Madrid Vs Barcelona: Liga Iberdola Women Match 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Wike Appoints Joseph Yobo As Special Assistant On Sports Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.