Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,280 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) (37438 Views)

What Is A Sloth And 10 Incredible Facts About The Sloth? (Pictures) / Sloth Caught In My School Today / Escaped Kano Lion Eats Ostrich As Zookeepers Mull Killing Animal (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Holiness2100: 4:29pm On Nov 10, 2021
ADORABLE: Footage shows newborn baby sloth at London Zoo after it surprised keepers with its speedy birth

A baby sloth surprised keepers at London Zoo with its speedy arrival in the world.

Zookeepers at ZSL London Zoo were shocked to discover two-toed sloth Marilyn had gone into labour while they were preparing her sweet potato breakfast on October 24.

Keepers were aware that Marilyn was due any day but believed she was comfortably tucked away in her den.

When they returned less than an hour after their previous check they found she had given birth at a speed uncharacteristically fast for the famously slow-moving species.

The zoo has now released footage of the baby two-toed sloth clinging to her mother in the Zoo's Rainforest Life section.

The video shows Marilyn hanging from a branch with her little one on her stomach, in their tropical paradise, which is heated to 82F all year round.

Keeper Marcel McKinley said: 'We looked in on her first thing and there was no baby - and no sign at all that she was in labour.

'Less than an hour later, I spotted something that looked like a tiny arm tucked into Marilyn's tummy; I called the rest of the team to confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

'They arrived just in time to see her turn around in the tree and give us the perfect view of her healthy newborn - who she'd quietly delivered, with no fuss at all, while we'd been chopping up sweet potato for her breakfast.

'She clearly took the whole thing in her stride.'

The two-week-old baby has been named Terry and is 'doing really well' as keepers await confirmation of its sex by DNA analysis.

Mr McKinley said: '(The name is) after one of the zoo's longest-serving zookeepers - our colleague Terry March, who has devoted his whole life to caring for threatened species and educating the public about wildlife.'

Mr March, 65, joined ZSL London Zoo as a trainee zookeeper in 1973 and has looked after the animals ever since - including caring for the sloths for the past 15 years.

Keepers do not know the sex of the new arrival, which is spending its days clinging on to Marilyn, and will not be able to tell until it is scanned by vets as there are no external differences between male and female sloths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3thglBbcxY

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10182359/amp/Newborn-baby-sloth-London-Zoo-surprised-keepers-speedy-birth-Video.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Holiness2100: 4:30pm On Nov 10, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by bigdammyj: 4:36pm On Nov 10, 2021
Okay

1 Like

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Righteousness2(m): 4:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
GOD ALMIGHTY is too Wonderful and Perfect.
Everything HE Created is Beautiful!
BLESSED be the Name of the LORD .

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Candidlady: 5:00pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

halleluya pastor

am thinking of becoming pastor mrs righteousness
where can idrop cv?

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:33pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

Let me also join my voice with yours and say BLESSED be the Name of the LORD.

Hallelujah somebody

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by slawormiir: 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Nice

Just like some women.....when it is time .....before you say jack robbison or rather in a twinkle of an eye... the baby is out already.....Hale and healthy

Righteousness2:
Shebi you see as this your comment mature because you nor link am to end time...you sound so mature and normal today...I owe you some bottles of beer...oh sorry....I don forget say you nor dey drink beer

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 7:37pm On Nov 10, 2021
Hmmmmmmmm..

She clearly took the whole thing in her stride. That's why I love laid back folks, we keep it simple, no fuss, no noise.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by doggedfighter(f): 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2021
undecided

1 Like

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Boogyman557: 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool REAL MATTERS. WTF MAN
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by bcomputer101: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
Is this not what Yoruba people called Bush-baby "IGBÉRE?"
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

Evolution

5 Likes

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by ForeThinker: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
Deep world
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by seamfund: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
Blessed be the one that giveth and the one that taketh...

3 Likes

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Gten(m): 7:41pm On Nov 10, 2021
Slow like one presidiot I know.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by omlueh(m): 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2021
May His Name Be Forever Praised.
Righteousness2:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by kennykruzmason: 7:42pm On Nov 10, 2021
No time for drama
cool
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by KhingLufem1(m): 7:44pm On Nov 10, 2021
Ok
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by ogelekpomgam(m): 7:45pm On Nov 10, 2021
Imagine,they named the baby sloth after a long serving staff,Terry.If na for one zoo country,you come name am bu-something...na jail straight.. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
When they returned less than an hour after their previous check they found she had given birth at a speed uncharacteristically fast for the famously slow-moving species.
This is so cool

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Guestlander: 7:46pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

Blessed be the name of the Lord. You sound really normal today.
Other times you remind me of pastor Remote on you tube.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Omicron007: 7:50pm On Nov 10, 2021
[s]
NLPoliceWoman:

Seun Mynd44 Justwise Dominique.
Rule 1.

1. Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.
[/s]

Dead on arrival.
E pain am grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by obonujoker(m): 7:53pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

Too perfect.... Too gracious...

Please continue like this...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by Omniman(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2021
Reminds me of Terry 2 Toe
Re: Two- Toed Baby Sloth Suprises Zookeepers With Speedy Birth (Pics, Video) by mountmoriah(m): 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2021
Righteousness2:

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Electricity Is Generated From Water - HYDRO-POWER/HYDROELECTRICITY / Nigerian Survives 3-Days At Bottom Of Atlantic Ocean / See Innovations :mechanical Corn Roaster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.