Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

I Need Help With My Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Need Help With My Dog (506 Views)

I Think My Dog Is Not Dead, The Veterinary Doctor Lied. / My Dog Gave Birth To 7 Puppies This Morning... / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help With My Dog by JustCryptos: 10:38am On Nov 11, 2021
Dog experts in the house, please I need help retraining a new dog. The said dog keeps growling at me when I try to correct it.

Here's the backstory.
I moved into a new apartment in a developing area and got a puppy GSD of 3 months. This is my first time owning a dog so I opted for a puppy to grow with the family. However, the puppy keeps destroying everything destroyable outside - my ugwu, scent leaves, etc. In response, I chained it up at my veranda. Sadly, thieves broke into my house and stole some items about a month ago while I went out in the morning.

I got a 5+ month boerboel to add to the GSD and I allow it roam free in the compound. About a week later, someone jumped into my compound at about 11:55pm. Both dogs barked but didn't attack until the person jumped out.

I told someone about it who offered to train the boerboel while giving me his GSD/Rot of almost 2 years.

His dog has been with me for almost 2 weeks but I am beginning to notice a lot of flaws.

1. This dog attempts to attack my GSD if I go close to it. Jealously obviously.

2. It growls at me and shows it's teeth if I try to correct it.
This morning I released it and immediately I opened the gate, it ran off and came back after a few minutes. Now it has refused me putting back the chain. It is currently in my veranda and has refused to go out. If I try to push it out, it growls at me.

If someone steps into the compound it forgets I am there and tries to attack the person, ignoring every command.

3. I have rabbits in my compound. I has tried to force their cage open to eat them.

How can I train this dog, while retaining it's fierceness?

Meanwhile, my GSD puppy is back destroying everything in sight. The GSD has been on chains, I only release it when I take it for walls outside. How can I stop this habbit?
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by OBALOLA55(m): 10:54am On Nov 11, 2021
PICTURE SPEAKS MORE THAN A THOUSAND WORDS
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Ebiz29(m): 11:03am On Nov 11, 2021
Op I would suggest you return the Dog to avoid the story that touches the heart because it's obvious the dog already has the spot of the Alpha.
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by JustCryptos: 11:10am On Nov 11, 2021
OBALOLA55:
PICTURE SPEAKS MORE THAN A THOUSAND WORDS

I should take picture of a dog growling at me?
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 11, 2021
Collecting a rott of 2yeara from someone else is really scary....your rott will eventually kill the GSD and rabbits....when giving that rott command,look for a 2by 2 plank of hold a chain,if it growls,beat the hell out of it...there can only be one captain in a ship,The rott is trying to pass a bad message to you,if you allow that rott take charge,you are in trouble....if ever I am going to keep a rott,I must have a Caucasian in the house...The Caucasian will tame the rotts sturborness
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by JustCryptos: 11:12am On Nov 11, 2021
Here you go

Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 11, 2021
A friend’s rott recently killed his Samoyed and lhasa,he said he couldn’t move close to the rott throughout that day,it wanted to attack him and his family....I just strolled in with my 3years old pedigree Caucasian and the rest was history......
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by OBALOLA55(m): 11:15am On Nov 11, 2021
JustCryptos:

I should take picture of a dog growling at me?
OGA SNAP PICTURE AND SHOW US, MUST YOU GO CLOSE TO THE DOG BEFORE YOU TAKE PICTURES
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 11, 2021
JustCryptos:
Here you go
if you are not familiar with dogs,please don’t take up a grown rott,it’s dangerous
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by JustCryptos: 11:16am On Nov 11, 2021
[quote author=Benz4pimp post=107518264][/quote]

It's a GSD/Rot mix. The owner says it has more of GSD traits.
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by OBALOLA55(m): 11:17am On Nov 11, 2021
Benz4pimp:
Collecting a rott of 2yeara from someone else is really scary....your rott will eventually kill the GSD and rabbits....when giving that rott command,look for a 2by 2 plank of hold a chain,if it growls,beat the hell out of it...there can only be one captain in a ship,The rott is trying to pass a bad message to you,if you allow that rott take charge,you are in trouble....if ever I am going to keep a rott,I must have a Caucasian in the house...The Caucasian will tame the rotts sturborness
OP KILL THAT ROT BEFORE IT WILL HARM YOU
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by JustCryptos: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2021
OBALOLA55:

Do you own a dog sir?
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Foodqueen(f): 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2021
Return that dog.
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by Geepee77(m): 8:30am On Nov 13, 2021
OBALOLA55:

He should kill the dog? Na him get am?
Re: I Need Help With My Dog by setobaba: 9:58am On Nov 13, 2021
You all get it so wrong, before getting a dog for yourself, especially first time Owners, first know the reason you getting a dog for.
For a family man like op, German Shepards is the best bet to train, forget that the German Shepard is destroying your crops, they are very easy to train and control. Bringing a new grown dog again will only make your Gsd less active, cos the grown dog have over taken the territory, rather you can introduce a smaller dog to the German Shepard and let them grow together.
I have an adult German Shepard and an adolescent Caucasian.
Meanwhile I also have Long Coat German Shepard puppies for sale.

Re: I Need Help With My Dog by kielkiel(m): 1:00pm On Nov 13, 2021
As a first time dog owner am not sure you can handle that dog ..just return it to it owner and get yourself a Rottweiler puppy female to be precisely that way she will grow with your and female are more calm and advisable for a first time dog owner than male and also lock them up inside a cage till they are grown it will increase there security agility… if u need a rot pup let me know

(1) (Reply)

Rabbits For Sale / Cheap Adult Female German Shepherd For Sale..at Ikorodu.. / Is Dog A True Carnivore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.