Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,616 members, 7,809,260 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University (4244 Views)

6 Boys Rape SSS1 Student In Kaduna / Armed Robber Trying To Rob A Uniabuja Student In Gwagwalada, Caught / Nigerian Student Stabbed To Death By Countrymen Over Girlfriend In Cyprus(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by Ndipe(m): 9:47pm On Jul 25, 2007
Ill. student accused of terrorist threat By JIM SUHR, Associated Press Writer
28 minutes ago

EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. - A university student was arrested after authorities say he threatened a "murderous rampage" similar to the Virginia Tech shootings that left 32 people and a student gunman dead, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A gun dealer had alerted federal authorities about the man, saying he had seemed overly anxious to get a shipment of semiautomatic weapons, according to an affidavit filed in court by a police detective.

Olutosin Oduwole, who was taking summer classes at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, was charged Tuesday with attempting to make a terrorist threat, a felony. He remained jailed Wednesday in lieu of $1 million bail.

According to the affidavit, the 22-year-old wrote a note demanding that money be deposited to a PayPal account, threatening that "if this account doesn't reach $50,000 in the next 7 days then a murderous rampage similar to the VT shooting will occur at another highly populated university. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!"

The note had suggested the shooting would target a "prestigious" university, but that word was crossed out. There was no direct mention of Southern Illinois University.

John Cernkovich, Oduwole's attorney on unrelated theft and fraud charges filed last week, described Oduwole as a musician who writes rap lyrics and said the threatening note was on a sheet of paper that included rap words.

"I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I understand that in this environment — post-Sept. 11 — authorities don't take any chances," Cernkovich said. "Unfortunately, my client now is in custody because of that."

Authorities found the note Friday in Oduwole's car on campus, university spokesman Greg Conroy said. Police also said they found a loaded gun in Oduwole's dorm room.

The detective said in the affidavit that Oduwole, of Maplewood, N.J., had recently bought three semiautomatic guns online but had not yet received them, and also had ordered a weapon similar to an Uzi submachine gun.

A gun dealer alerted the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives because Oduwole "appeared very anxious to get these firearms and seemed very impatient," the affidavit said.

According to a search warrant, police also seized a picture of Oduwole flashing gang signs, a camcorder and U.S. and Nigerian passports. The court documents did not list the name on those passports.

Oduwole was charged July 19 with theft and fraud for selling an M-16 rifle online but failing to ship the weapon to the buyer, prosecutors said.

Cernkovich said Wednesday his client is a U.S. citizen and described him as "pretty normal."

"I didn't think he was an irrational person," the lawyer said.

Steve Holeman, 24, a senior at the school and Oduwole's friend, said the matter was "absolutely a misunderstanding." He declined to discuss it further.

Oduwole, who is president of the local chapter of the Iota Phi Theta fraternity, first attended the school during the 2005-06 year but sat out a year on academic probation, Conroy said.

Cernkovich said Oduwole's father was in the area Wednesday.

"His dad's having a difficult time understanding how the system works," Cernkovich said.

The Madison County state's attorney did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.

Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville is about 20 miles northeast of St. Louis and has an enrollment of about 13,500 students.

___

On the Net:

http://www.siue.edu/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070725/ap_on_re_us/student_threat_charges;_ylt=AvC7ESVieTMYhgi96DzcwfSs0NUE
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by initiator(m): 9:57pm On Jul 25, 2007
The guy appears, from the story, just living the hip hop fad. Tracing his "actions" to terrorism or re-enactment of the virginia tech episode is unfounded.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by naijaway(m): 9:58pm On Jul 25, 2007
that's crazy
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by TayoD(m): 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2007
@initiator,

The guy appears, from the story, just living the hip hop fad. Tracing his "actions" to terrorism or re-enactment of the virginia tech episode is unfounded.
Are you kidding me? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 10:55pm On Jul 25, 2007
Which kain hip hop fad Tell this to homeland security! Another of our southern brothers bringing shame to Nigeria as a whole! embarassed

A 22 year old gun dealer? shocked Why we choose to imitate negative aspects of any developed society beats my imagination!
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 10:57pm On Jul 25, 2007
the makings of a Cho!
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by initiator(m): 11:12pm On Jul 25, 2007
@ MILITIA
i just cant help with your porous thinking.
Must you make this a north-south west-east issue?

I think the guy's lawyer got it. He was caught @ the wrong time - with the virginia tech issue and terrorist fears. He was caught with inciteful writing in a paper that contained other rap lyrics in his car.
Yea he's got strong suspicion hovering around his doings but not like the psychotic virginia tech case or some1 with a political cause. The fear of our times should not make us lump things like this together. Criminal matters like these should be treated case after case.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by denex: 11:41pm On Jul 25, 2007
ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A TERRORIST THREAT?!!!

I really don't understand this one. Not terrorist threat, not attempted terrorism, but an attempted terrorist threat. PATRIOT Act at work.

FLASHING GANG SIGNS?!!!

Like the Game and Ja Rule do everyday of their lives?

OVERLY ANXIOUS TO GET A SHIPMENT OF SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPONS.

Is it not obvious that this Oduwole fellow had defaulted on the deadline on a deal for an M-16 automatic weapon and was now anxious to get the weapon from his supplier and Ship to the buyer that was already suing him?

@MILITIA

is gun dealing a crime? The guy is a law abiding citizen.

Shey you guys see what that ball-headed JUDGE Bush is doing to America with his PATRIOT Act?

It'll be your turn next.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by OgidiBoy(m): 11:48pm On Jul 25, 2007
I'm surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked where are all the Igbo haters, make una come see oh!!
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 12:00am On Jul 26, 2007
must people always retort to tribalism.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by Esss(m): 12:04am On Jul 26, 2007
OgidiBoy:

I'm surprised shocked shocked shocked shocked where are all the Igbo haters, make una come see oh!!

Nna find dem. Kpo ha ni ne, ndi anumani. Fa bia fu nwanne fa. Onye ofe mmanu bu terrorist.

@ Topic

If na South south pikin now, Una for don call am militant. If na Easterner, Una for say Igboman don start again. Now na Westener, all of una dey call am Law abiding citizen abi?? Make una leave hypocricy hand make hypocricy leave una too.

k0be:

Yes O! yes . O now that a yoruba man is involved it is tribalism abi?? Absolute rubbish
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by grafikdon: 12:05am On Jul 26, 2007
@Ogidiboy, that was totally uncalled for. Like Denex said, it's the patriot act at work, maximum paranoia.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 12:19am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss you have your 5 senses for a reason, use them concisely.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by denex: 12:22am On Jul 26, 2007
And by the way I'm not Yoruba! Yet this case is simple. Somebody is being sued because he promised to deliver a gun to a buyer, he's past the deadline and is now in trouble. Shouldn't he be anxious to recieve the gun from his supplier?

Then they say he was flashing gang signs. If that is evidence to charge somebody, then Snoop Dogg should be in jail.

Attempt to make a terrorist threat? Please you guys should listen to that.

Recently, a guy was charged in australia with recklessness which provided aid to terrorists. Don't all these charges sound stupid to you.

The new terrorism laws even allow for you to be arrested for standing at the bus-stop.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by OgidiBoy(m): 12:36am On Jul 26, 2007
k0be:

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think OK. Like Esss said, if that was an Igbo name up there, this thread would have been 6 pages long by now with all that Igbo this and Igbo that nonsense. I pray that fake ass wannabe terrorist gets a life sentense for  all I care. I'm off to dinner, you all have a good evening.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 12:37am On Jul 26, 2007
Denex there's no use in explaining simple incidents to punks so please by all means let them flaunt their skunkiness
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by denex: 12:44am On Jul 26, 2007
Okay.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 12:57am On Jul 26, 2007
initiator:

@ MILITIA
i just can't help with your porous thinking.

I think the guy's lawyer got it. He was caught @ the wrong time - with the virginia tech issue and terrorist fears. He was caught with inciteful writing in a paper that contained other rap lyrics in his car.
Yea he's got strong suspicion hovering around his doings but not like the psychotic virginia tech case or someone with a political cause. The fear of our times should not make us lump things like this together. Criminal matters like these should be treated case after case.

I did not say it is a tribal issue please! angry  I am only saying that since I come from the southern part of Nigeria, I feel humiliated by this! Ha!!!!! shocked  While you keep making excuses for this "waco", I will choose to remain "porous" ----thank you very much!!!!! kiss

denex:

ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A TERRORIST THREAT?!!![/b]I really don't understand this one. Not terrorist threat, not attempted terrorism, but an attempted terrorist threat. PATRIOT Act at work.

@MILITIA
is gun dealing a crime? The guy is a law abiding citizen.

Shey you guys see what that ball-headed JUDGE Bush is doing to America with his PATRIOT Act?

[b]It'll be your turn next.

Denex, while gun dealing is not a crime, what is a 22 year old summer student doing with "guns" for sale to God knows who Carjackers, murderers, terrorists, burglars and all what not!!!  If it were your son, would you be proud of him  Instead of concentrating on how to make a decent living when he graduates, he is engaging in "runs" dealing guns!!!!!!  Like I said he will deal with homeland security for life and this is going to make Nigerians, especially southern Nigerians more scrutinized in America!!!!! 

Hope you like that since you are safe away in "Hasso Rock"!!!! It will never get to my turn because I respect the people who have given me an opportunity to better my life and those of my family members where Nigeria failed. I will not give them the slightest opportunity to feel i am a threat to their safety!!! So let us wait for the other southern brothers and sisters to keep ending up in jail and disgracing themselves!!! grin

You think America is like Nigeria when people open their mouths without thinking--------some stupid parents will come to their aids and say "do not mind him or her" ,  he/she was only joking!!!!  Try it here in America!!!  he he he he he!!!! After 9/11 you cannot open your mouth and talk any how in public!!!!!  Nigerians need to learn that!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 1:03am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

Nna find them. Kpo ha ni ne, ndi anumani. Fa bia fu nwanne fa. Onye ofe mmanu bu terrorist.

@ Topic

If na South south pikin now, Una for don call am militant. If na Easterner, Una for say Igboman don start again. Now na Westener, all of una dey call am Law abiding citizen abi?? Make una leave hypocricy hand make hypocricy leave una too.

Yes O! yes . O now that a yoruba man is involved it is tribalism abi?? Absolute rubbish

Esss!  Boy! I have missed you! grin grin grin grin grin  See trouble oh!  Who said anything about tribes here now?  That is why certain people will never grow up from their  "punkhood"!!!! grin  Esss--------na you talk am!!!!  Please stop oh before Seun wake up to give warning!!!! grin  This political section really sucks most of the time just because of the same old farts!!!! angry
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by denex: 1:06am On Jul 26, 2007
I'll be proud of my son selling guns legally. In fact I will use his success in the business to weigh my options of moving into the business.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 1:13am On Jul 26, 2007
denex:

I'll be proud of my son selling guns legally. In fact I will use his success in the business to weigh my options of moving into the business.

I trust you ke!!!! tongue  This your partucular son "Olutosin Oduwole" will send your business into bankruptcy now for looking for $1million dollar bail now!!!  10% is $100,000 dollars to be paid up before his gun-dealing arse will smell out of jail!!!!! grin The consequences of careless, stupid talk---in this age of terrorism!!!!  Please send bail money over here oh---from Donald Duke your uncle!!!!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 1:19am On Jul 26, 2007
militia the overgrown idiot, i've told you to confront me like the dog you are when you want to address your occasional rants to me.
denex and grafikdon understand what I meant when I mentioned tribalism, I don't expect you to reason unbiasedly in this situation because you started the tribalistic junk in the first place.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 1:22am On Jul 26, 2007
I'll attempt to jog your memory

of our southern brothers bringing shame to Nigeria as a whole!
@ MILITIA
i just can't help with your porous thinking.
I'm surprised where are all the Igbo haters, make una come see oh!!

now if you'll like to continue pretending that you don't know how tribalism creeped into the thread, you can talk to the back of my hand.
just don't bite off my fingers.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 1:27am On Jul 26, 2007
k0be:

militia the overgrown idiot, i've told you to confront me like the dog you are when you want to address your occasional rants to me.
denex and grafikdon understand what I meant when I mentioned tribalism, I don't expect you to reason unbiasedly in this situation because you started the tribalistic junk in the first place.

I know you could not wait to "unleash" your love!!!  Go ahead and give it your best shot!!! I know your other "Nairaland gangsters" are waiting to give you great back up!!!! Just continue and spoil this thread like you did yours in the family section!!!!! grin Poor Seun had to delete 2/3rds of the ye ye thread!!!! grin He will wake up and do the same to this one!!!! Keep it up!!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 1:31am On Jul 26, 2007
love hahahahah, don't flatter yourself, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, abeg just frown.

"nairaland gangsters" meheh, look here bro, the only internet hoodlums i've encountered (worthy of being called gangsters) are hackers.
I hope you're not subjugating that I hack? if you are, thanks for the compliment  grin.

p.s. you and I both know your rambunctious intentions deflected that thread from its true purpose.
i'm still waiting on you to offload your fury, I guess the vaccine from earlier this morning is still effective? glad to see you're under control. good job logan, good job!
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by Esss(m): 1:36am On Jul 26, 2007
Militia my sister, No mind dem. E don reach their turn all of them don dey sing one nigeria but make the boy name change to Ikenna Chidiebere you for see all the rubbish wey for don fall out from their mouth.

I understand what yall is saying but I'm sticking with the tribalism side. A YORUBA MAN IS A TERRORIST, deal with it. They should check he might even be linked to al-queda. grin
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 1:38am On Jul 26, 2007
k0be:

love hahahahah, don't flatter yourself, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, abeg just frown.

"nairaland gangsters" meheh, look here bro, the only internet hoodlums i've encountered (worthy of being called gangsters) are hackers.
I hope you're not subjugating that I hack? if you are, thanks for the comliment  grin.

p.s. you and I both know your rambunctious deflected that thread from its true purpose.
i'm still waiting on you to offload your fury, I guess the vaccine from earlier this morning is still effective? glad to see you're under control. good job logan, good job!

Thank you sir!!!!!! grin  Anything to contribute to the "topic" besides my darling beloved "Logan"? tongue
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 1:40am On Jul 26, 2007
I understand what yall is saying but I'm sticking with the tribalism side.
Dearest Militia  wink
A YORUBA MAN IS A TERRORIST, deal with it. They should check he might even be linked to al-queda.
Lol. Esss, did you think typing with cap-locks on will make you more famous?
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by MILITIA(f): 1:44am On Jul 26, 2007
Esss:

Militia my sister, No mind them. E don reach their turn all of them don dey sing one nigeria but make the boy name change to Ikenna Chidiebere you for see all the rubbish wey for don fall out from their mouth.

I understand what yall is saying but I'm sticking with the tribalism side. A YORUBA MAN IS A TERRORIST, deal with it. They should check he might even be linked to al-queda. ;

@ Esss
Sad to say-------the first to be apprehended by homeland security for terroristic language!!! embarassed  But on a serious note, are we not all Southerners shocked  So why all this bad belle--among us
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by denex: 1:45am On Jul 26, 2007
@MILITIA

I am proud of Donald Duke anytime.

I am also sad for innocent Nigerian going about his civic duties when he was hounded into a jailhouse. I'm sure he's one of those mugu Nigerians that went to Yankee to start shouting that Nigeria is bad.

Today it's him, tomorrow, E FIT BE YOU O! (lotto nigeria).
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by k0be: 1:46am On Jul 26, 2007
Thank you sir!!!!!!   Anything to contribute to the "topic" besides my darling beloved "Logan"?
Re-read carefully.  I mentioned "the makings of a Cho"

On another note, are you insinuating that there's a problem with 22-year-olds handling guns?

Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I just wanted to point that out to you, though I'm not an avid supporter of the pro-gun agenda.
Re: Nigerian Student In America Threatens To Blow Up American University by Chiori(m): 1:47am On Jul 26, 2007
Damn the tribalism already and lets face facts. Whether the culprit is Yoruba or Igbo, he is a Nigerian. And whether or not we admit it, his action is going to further affect every Nigerian youth's ambitions of going to the United States for any purpose, especially for studies.

And while you raise a tirade over which tribe is terroristic and which one is not, remember, no one has the monopoly of violence, evil, etc. So stop this whole nonsense of turning the forum into a Hate Hall of Fame!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Men Arraigned For Stealing He-goat / Bori Army Attacks Photos Of Dead Bodies In General Hospital / Supreme Court Okays Death For 2 Robbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.