Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,121 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. (4673 Views)

Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? / Apart From Work, What More? / After Work, What Next? We Will Create Your Business Plan For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by sommyboi(m): 2:01pm On Nov 12, 2021
There is no better time to invest in yourself than now. Technology is moving too fast, and the need to adopt new technologies and move along with the speed is so important. The world is so connected remotely that you can get a doctor operate on a patient, many nautical miles away. How much prepared are you for this?

Here's what you should know; it doesn't matter where you are in the world, if you can do the job, you'll be hired. While much of this argument is supported by the Techyverse (my word for a global community of Tech people) , I think the rest of the world has adopted this practice - Entertainment, Arts, and Education. Ladies and gentlemen, the time of remote work is upon us, and only those who are equipped with the right tools, are the ones enjoying the benefits. It is worthy of mention that the market value for your labour is about to go through the roof, if you work in Tech, Consulting, Finance, Sales, Design, Media, Law etc.

Believably, once most companies go fully remote, it means that the labour market will become global and hyper-efficient. For those of you who studied economics, you know that efficient markets are better collectively, but not necessarily better individually. In layman's terms, those who are good at what they do will make a lot of money and those who are overpriced will see their compensation go down or given to someone else altogether.

High-skilled workers who can find other jobs, have leverage and can ask for remote-friendly the same way people negotiate salary or vacation time.
Companies will realize that to retain top talent they either become more remote-friendly or pay people more to come into the office.

Now is the time to equip yourself, enlarge your network, learn as many digital skills as possible, and get ready; the world is taking a new shape, and when it does, you will not be taken by surprise.

4 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by sommyboi(m): 2:05pm On Nov 12, 2021
There are a few things to begin with; writing a convincing CV should definitely be the first thing on your to-do list. Because landing an interview is a race against the clock—dozens of job seekers have already written their resumes and applied for that job position that you're most excited about. Not to discourage you, but to make you understand that writing a professional resume is the first knock that opens the door.

I have put together some useful tips that are going to be helpful in your next application, considering you follow through with the procedures outlined in the document. However, below is a summary of what a stunning Curriculum Vitae that converts to job interview invitation looks like:

Stay relevant—Every single item on your CV should prove you are the best possible candidate.

Tailor—Make one CV specifically for one specific job and company to apply at. Name the company and pick skills which relate to the open position.

Choose the right stuff—Use active voice, write a heading statement for your situation, and don't include unnecessary details.

Be consistent—Follow the same formatting, styles, colors, and conventions throughout your resume
Double-check—Don't send your CV off before you are certain there are no typos and errors. Ask a friend for help or do go through a CV critique.

Add a Cover letter— A Cover Letter is like a marketing campaign, it is where you sell yourself to the hiring manager. It is the first, and shortest impression you'd make, you have to put your best at convincing them on why you're the best fit.

3 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by sommyboi(m): 2:07pm On Nov 12, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by sommyboi(m): 2:15pm On Nov 12, 2021
Where do you begin?

While it might be tempting to list a couple of freelancing websites and point you to resources that would help you set up real quick, I won't be doing that.
The aim of this thread is to expose you to the world of remote working (full-time jobs), and not throw you out there in the cold world of freelancing. I shall drop two websites that are a great starting point for this purpose. Okay, maybe I'll make it three. If this thread gains more attention, I'll be talking more about the practical steps in optimising your profile on these websites, and I'll be dropping more websites.

Remote job websites:
1. Toptal.com
2. Remote.co
3. Pangian.com

4 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by sommyboi(m): 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2021
If you find this thread interesting, and would need assistance, you can contact(chat) me on:

0 eight 1 three six 3 four 6-2 zero zero

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by ogomilekan: 2:38pm On Nov 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by bmegng: 9:34pm On Nov 13, 2021
I agree with you that there is no better time to invest in yourself than now. But it's better to invest in what would earn you Legit money right from the comfort of your home. once I had researched how to make money online after losing my job and had no backup plans, I ended up with lots of jargon until I got an eye-opener from a friend who was into remote jobs and helped me in my quest. I can now say today i need not leave my house to make money. answerable to know one, self boss. i would like to connect with like minds also let share ideas https:///3qzLyTb
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:15pm On Dec 03, 2021
Hey guys working remotely is sweet. I will be dropping legit application links to help people with skills but no opportunity to apply them. I know my account is just some minutes new so let me make this clear. Don't email me and I am not looking for money. I won't ask for shit from no one.

this opportunity is for Graphic Designer (Social and UX)
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/eight-clients-graphic-designer-social-and-ux

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:18pm On Dec 03, 2021
Senior Visual Designer, Brand
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/contra-senior-visual-designer-brand

they are all abroad opportunities so make sure ur skill sets are solid b4 u apply. so keep learning to be the best in what u do and success will chase u all the way to ur sleep.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2021
UI/UX Designer
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/yoko-co-ui-ux-designer

we rise by lifting others so if u don't have the skill sets reach out to ur friends that may be qualified. Help a soul today.

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:22pm On Dec 03, 2021
I work remotely because someone helped me. I want to return the favour. Working remotely is good because no office fights and gossips. no dress code or late coming. just finish ur task b4 deadline.

Don't email me just follow the links.

ask ur questions here

4 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:24pm On Dec 03, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 2:25pm On Dec 03, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by Carolinesilva: 12:15pm On Dec 07, 2021
Remote work is the new way of how things are done today. Almost every company out there, even banks and hotels, have transitioned to having remote employees who do their jobs from the comfort of their own homes. It is advantageous for many reasons which I will go into here.

Remote workers need to be resourceful with scheduling because they cannot just grab coffee with colleagues or head out early on Fridays like they used to. This forces them to self-discipline more so than if they were in an office environment where these interactions were present all the time. They also need to be diligent about setting clear boundaries between home life and work life so as not to end up working all day long (or night).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 4:58pm On Dec 10, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 5:00pm On Dec 10, 2021
PHP Developer
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/operatebeyond-php-developer

help some one today .

tell your friends and even your enemies with the right skill sets about this opportunity. apply as a nigerian an be bold
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 5:02pm On Dec 10, 2021
Android Developer

https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/clevertech-android-developer-2

don't be a doubting Thomas. check it out and apply if u meet the requirements.

we don't need to wait for FG any longer
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 5:04pm On Dec 10, 2021
Full Stack Engineer

https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/reconnect-inc-full-stack-engineer

for my web developer brothers.

we rise by lifting others.

it is always very difficult but the truth is only those who try will be rewarded.
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by Klass99(f): 7:35pm On Dec 10, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:07pm On Dec 10, 2021
Klass99:

Okay. I'll really appreciate your answer to these questions;

1. Do other remote work opportunities exist, besides IT, on this platform where you get advertised roles? yes. There are marketing and other stuff there too. I'll do my best to post other roles.

2. Which of these IT skills, would you recommend a female should learn? Don't think because u are a female there are things u can't do. women have contributed so much to technological advancement as much as men. Ada Lovelace is a good example. you could go into data entry and from there extend it to data analytics or pick web development or you could go to coursera.org and do a course there. If u can't afford the fee for the course you could apply for financial aid and do your course for free. I am currently combining my remote job with a coursera.org scholarship on IT SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATE. it ain't easy but the stress is worth it.

3. Or rather which (in your opinion) would be the most suitable to learn within the shortest amount of time?
go to coursera.org and pick a skill u like and follow it.

u need data, steady power supply and a PC. if u decide to go into programming it will favour u there are big organisations that support women in the tech field.

good luck

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by Klass99(f): 9:50pm On Dec 10, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 7:54pm On Dec 12, 2021
I get the remote jobs I post here from https://weworkremotely.com/

only apply for the ones that are labelled "anywhere in the world"

Don't let any one discourage you. It may be hard but I promise you your efforts will be rewarded in no time. Have faith in yourself and whatever you believe in and hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:03pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:05pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:08pm On Dec 12, 2021
WordPress Content Writer
https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/awesome-motive-wordpress-content-writer-4

oya ooo. una way dey always shout I will write for you bla bla bla

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:09pm On Dec 12, 2021

1 Like

Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:11pm On Dec 12, 2021
Re: Remote Work: What You Need To Know, And Where To Begin. by thestreets(m): 8:12pm On Dec 12, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SURVEY REQUEST :would The Ambience Of The Company Matter ? / Most Expensive Prostitute In The World Costs N18 Million Per Night / Meet The Lady Who Makes Furniture With Used Tyres Gotten From Dumpsites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.