Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,209 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe (1805 Views)

The Honda Place Abuja Bills Man N15million To Fix A N4million Honda Civic Coupe / Low RPM, Sluggish Acceleration In Hyundai Accent / N120m 2019 Range Rover SV Coupe Is The Most Luxurious 2-door SUV (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 5:19pm On Nov 15, 2021
Hello Nairalanders,
I have a 2012 inline 4 Honda Accord coupe, car has been an absolute thrill, zero issues, no stress until three months back, travelled out of town for work, spent a little of three weeks, car was undriven during the whole time. came back and all hell broke loose, first AC wouldn't changed the in cabin filter, Flushed and refilled, Problem solved, had issues cranking the car, battery was on its way out, so I replaced. Issue now is the car is slow as f**k, overtaking and hill climbing is such a chore, especially when the engine is under load(AC on).
Yes i have scanned, yes check engine is on. Don't have the results as i wasn't there but mech said its only cold start sensor that appeared under powertrain codes.

Its a little better if i put the selector in D3, As advised by my mechanic i've replaced the following:
1. Injector nozzles(All 4) with a complete assembly from oyingbo
2. Cleaned throttle body(process was a b***h because i took forever to successfully relearn the correct idle position )
3. Changed all 4 spark plugs twice(Honda branded first, NGK next)
4. Two faulty distributor wires
5. Transmission Fluid Change(Did the recommended flush and refill x3 couldnt get DW1 for the 2nd but have drained and refilled with DW1)
6. Fuel pump assembly
7. Throttle Position sensor
8. Air filter
Even after the car still accelerates like a diesel truck, mech is tired says to just manage it like that. I'm a loyalty person so i haven't changed mechanics but i'd be open to doing just about anything to solve this problem. I'm in Lagos, Gbagada to be precise.
NB:
Noticed that my upstream 02 sensor is disconnected, plug is broken so i couldn't connect myself, took it to my mechanic and he says replace, Paid twice but he say's he can't get a working one and advised against going myself because i'd be easily swindled on a part like that, read about the open and closed loop operation of oxygen sensors so could this be the culprit?
cc
Gazzuz
Nurey
Kingreign

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2021
Just noticed that the tps looks broken, should i replace?, 2nd picture is what they've turned the present up stream 02 sensor to, in the name of troubleshooting

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by samintegrity(m): 5:44pm On Nov 15, 2021
Pls change the mass air flow meter and also I can see your O2 sensor wiring has been tampered with, you may replace as well

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by seanfer(m): 6:03pm On Nov 15, 2021
speedfreak:
Just noticed that the tpms looks broken, shouod i replace, 2nd picture is what they've turned the present up stream 02 sensor to, in the name of troubleshooting

Change the Mass air Flow meter, and also the o2 sensor. You can contact Gazzuzz here, look for his contact.

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by nurey(m): 6:29pm On Nov 15, 2021
Change maf sensor

Clean or change the air filter

Do a relearn for the system

Fix the disconnected sensor

Then check condition of vehicle and scan also b4 touching injector and other sensitive sensors
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by samintegrity(m): 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2021
speedfreak:
Hello Nairalanders,
I have a 2012 inline 4 Honda Accord coupe, car has been an absolute thrill, zero issues, no stress until three months back, travelled out of town for work, spent a little of three weeks, car was undriven during the whole time. came back and all hell broke loose, first AC wouldn't changed the in cabin filter, Flushed and refilled, Problem solved, had issues cranking the car, battery was on its way out, so I replaced. Issue now is the car is slow as f**k, overtaking and hill climbing is such a chore, especially when the engine is under load(AC on).
Yes i have scanned, yes check engine is on. Don't have the results as i wasn't there but mech said its only cold start sensor that appeared under powertrain codes.

Its a little better if i put the selector in D3, As advised by my mechanic i've replaced the following:
2. Cleaned throttle body(process was a b***h because i took forever to successfully relearn the correct idle position )
5. Transmission Fluid Change(Did the recommended flush and refill x3 couldnt get DW1 for the 2nd but have drained and refilled with DW1)
6. Fuel pump assembly
8. Air filter
Even after the car still accelerates like a diesel truck, mech is tired says to just manage it like that. I'm a loyalty person so i haven't changed mechanics but i'd be open to doing just about anything to solve this problem. I'm in Lagos, Gbagada to be precise.
NB:
Noticed that my upstream 02 sensor is disconnected, plug is broken so i couldn't connect myself, took it to my mechanic and he says replace, Paid twice but he say's he can't get a working one and advised against going myself because i'd be easily swindled on a part like that, read about the open and closed loop operation of oxygen sensors so could this be the culprit?
cc
Gazzuz
Nurey
Kingreign

Why do I even feel that mech is the one scamming you sir..

He obviously doesn't have an idea of what's wrong, hence the need to keep pushing money.

Moreso, a simple obd scan should at least give you a clear direction sir..

That said, it's a rewirer work sef not your mech..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by Structuralman: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2021
How is the fuel consumption after you parked the car for 3 weeks??
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by adanny01(m): 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2021
Also check all your engine mounts and especially the rear engine mount.

I experience smoother gear shifts and better acceleration when i change a bad rear mount.

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2021
speedfreak:
Hello Nairalanders,

6. Fuel pump assembly
8. Air filter
NB:
cc
Gazzuz
Nurey
Kingreign

It would not hurt to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-0yRfyc9HQ

https://www.nairaland.com/6775387/how-avoid-catastrophic-engine-failure

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2021
seanfer:

Change the Mass air Flow meter, and also the o2 sensor. You can contact Gazzuzz here, look for his contact.
Thanks chief
Considered it but his place is way out of my way, not really conversant with the mainland but i may just head over there tomorrow.
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:42pm On Nov 15, 2021
samintegrity:

Why do I even feel that mech is the one scamming you sir..

He obviously doesn't have an idea of what's wrong, hence the need to keep pushing money.

Moreso, a simple obd scan should at least give you a clear direction sir..

That said, it's a rewirer work sef not your mech..

Mech and vendor at Ladipo both said its quite difficult to get a new sensor that works, basedon the $100 naira card limit, ordering an oem one is out of the option atm.
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:45pm On Nov 15, 2021
Structuralman:
How is the fuel consumption after you parked the car for 3 weeks??
Tbh, i haven't really paid attention to official MPG figures, but I've always used a full tank, 10k7 for a week, sunday to sunday, car hardly gets to ΒΌ tank when i refill.
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:47pm On Nov 15, 2021
adanny01:
Also check all your engine mounts and especially the rear engine mount.

I experience smoother gear shifts and better acceleration when i change a bad rear mount.
Thanks boss, changed one rear engine mount and both transmission mounts during my last tune up. But I'll have them checked.
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2021
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 8:38am On Nov 16, 2021
nurey:
Change maf sensor

Clean or change the air filter

Do a relearn for the system

Fix the disconnected sensor

Then check condition of vehicle and scan also b4 touching injector and other sensitive sensors
Buying a new Maf and 02 sensor this morning, the relearn is it the normal "start with all loads off and idle till the fans circle once" or another?
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by seanfer(m): 9:33am On Nov 16, 2021
speedfreak:

Thanks chief
Considered it but his place is way out of my way, not really conversant with the mainland but i may just head over there tomorrow.

call him first and he will direct you... from Gbagada just find your way to Ikeja or Ogba and you're close to his workshop.

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by nurey(m): 10:34am On Nov 16, 2021
speedfreak:

Buying a new Maf and 02 sensor this morning, the relearn is it the normal "start with all loads off and idle till the fans circle once" or another?

Check Google for the procedure. I am not to conversant with it.
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 4:59pm On Nov 18, 2021
Update:
Replaced both MAF sensor and the upstream 02 sensor, sluggishness disappeared immediately grin, still have a glowing check engine light but I'll scan and troubleshoot on Saturday. Thanks for the recommendations

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by homeboy205: 5:32pm On Nov 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Update:
Replaced both MAF sensor and the upstream 02 sensor, sluggishness disappeared immediately grin, still have a glowing check engine light but I'll scan and troubleshoot on Saturday. Thanks for the recommendations

Nice, run from that your mechanic first

1 Like

Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by speedfreak(m): 6:54pm On Nov 18, 2021
homeboy205:

Nice, run from that your mechanic first
I ran chief grin
Found another in Oyingbo, long drive but its definitely
worth it
Re: Sluggish Acceleration, Please Advise On A Way Forward, 2012 Honda Accord Coupe by samintegrity(m): 8:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
speedfreak:
Update:

Glad to hear this...

Those mech can be very annoying most times...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ford Ranger Develops Engine Issues. / How Good Is 2001 Nissan Pathfinder? / Help With Gear Issues On Toyota Camry 2007 A.k.a. Muscle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.