Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,614 members, 7,816,523 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

The Problem Isn't A Lack Of Opportunities. It's An Abundance Of Distractions... - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Problem Isn't A Lack Of Opportunities. It's An Abundance Of Distractions... (275 Views)

What Career Has Lot Of Opportunities For Nigerians / I Am Worried My O'level Isn't Good Enough For My Cv / Whatsapp Groups Are Becoming More Of Distractions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Problem Isn't A Lack Of Opportunities. It's An Abundance Of Distractions... by YourBestSelf: 1:24am On Nov 20, 2021
Bought and started working on an online course but can’t bring yourself to finish?

Dread Monday mornings because you always have tasks from the previous week that you couldnt find a way to see through?

Started an online business, but after a few months, you seem to not find time to promote your business?

If you have faced any of the above, then you’re probably more like me, wondering why you can’t get anything done.

Think you’re lazy?

No freaking way!

Banish such thought. You’re not lazy. Or indisciplined.

You’re DISTRACTED.

Don’t believe me? Read on to see that distraction is why you can’t get anything done.

Lessons From My Father
After the Biafran War in 1970, my father jumped into a lorry, popularly called 911, and moved from his small village to Aba.

His own father, my grandfather, had pushed my father away from the village to go serve as an apprentice since my dad had no head for books...

The man whom my dad was to serve made panties for babies. At scale.

So, my dad had to learn how to operate the Singer sewing machine and other electric machines.

He learnt this very quickly and kept on helping his oga’s business thrive.

During his stay there, he noticed something interesting.

All the apprentice there could read, write and speak English. My dad could do none.

So, while those who were literate engaged in so many leisure activities – listening to the radio, reading newspapers, writing letters, etc.

He made pants.

Day and night he worked.

A few years later, he will transform his little “making pants” shop into Gabtex Manufacturing Co, employing hundreds and turning over multi millions in naira.

Looking back, many of the literate guys ended up working for him or being the talkers at meetings, with no financial security.

He was different. He got stuff done. On time. And profitably.

When I started teaching him how to read and write at 45, he looked at me hard and said:

The white man’s education distracts people. I now know why I succeeded. Because I had nothing else to do, I focused on making pants the way I learnt it. And even better.

Am I dissing class room education?

No way.

Education is the engine of civilization. But there’s a downside.

We now have billions of people who see endless education as the path to success.

Jumping from one interesting opportunity or venture to another.

The problem we face today is not a lack of opportunity. Opportunities are everywhere.

The problem we face today is an abundance of distractions!

Original Post: Why You Can't Get Anything Done?

2 Likes

Re: The Problem Isn't A Lack Of Opportunities. It's An Abundance Of Distractions... by Nobody: 3:18am On Nov 20, 2021
True

(1) (Reply)

#2022 / The Complete Fiverr Mastery Course You Will Ever Need / Tech Jobs: Is It All About Coding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.