Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,355 members, 7,850,298 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:57 PM

How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? (888 Views)

Tech Job Or U.K Fully Funded Scholarship / Lawyers In The House Please Help. Can I Leave My New Job Without Issue / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by munstaqq: 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2021
I'm sure my story is quite similar to many people out there, so your advice will mean a lot.

My background is Accounting and I started learning Data/Business Analytics sometime this year and I'm quite good at Microsoft Excel, SQL, Power BI, Tableau, PowerPoint, and even started learning Python recently.

But there is a problem, I don't have a traditional experience. On several occasions, employers had reached out to me on LinkedIn for job opportunities but ghosted me when I told them I don't have experience.

Also, I have received tens of automated rejection emails. I believe I'm good and just need a chance to prove my worth. But hmm.

So the question is, how did you land your first tech job without experience?
And what advice would you give, given your knowledge of the industry?

Thank you.

Lalasticlala
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by TouchOfSpice(m): 4:17pm On Nov 20, 2021
The desired Good news you crave for will come sooner than you expect.

I wish you well in your new quest .

Cheers ...

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by munstaqq: 5:59pm On Nov 20, 2021
TouchOfSpice:
The desired Good news you crave for will come sooner than you expect.

I wish you well in your new quest.

Cheers ...
Amen

Thank you, sir.

Please any advice?
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by Ch1g: 8:50pm On Nov 20, 2021
Look for a volunteer jobs in that area of your expertise for some time That will give you the experience you seek to land a better job

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by munstaqq: 8:05am On Nov 21, 2021
Ch1g:
Look for a volunteer job in that area of your expertise for some time That will give you the experience you seek to land a better job

That's good advice. Thank you
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by dobnina(f): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2021
munstaqq:
I'm sure my story is quite similar to many people out there, so your advice will mean a lot.

My background is Accounting, and I started learning Data/Business Analytics sometime this year and I'm quite good at Microsoft Excel, SQL, Power BI, Tableau, PowerPoint, and even started learning Python recently.

But there is a problem, I don't have a traditional experience. On several occasions, employers had reached out to me on LinkedIn for job opportunities but ghosted me when I told them I don't have experience.

Also, I have received tens of automated rejection emails. I believe I'm good and just need a chance to prove my worth. But hmm.

Thank you.

Lalasticlala
I am a freelancer, though I am unsure if you will find my advice useful, but I will still say it.
From my personal experience, I got myself a Mentor in my niche.
I worked under him for free for a month and added some of his works to my portfolio as part of my experience when Clients reached out to me and asked if I had any experience.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:41am On Nov 21, 2021
Just apply to jobs that's all.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by dobnina(f): 9:45am On Nov 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Just apply to jobs that's all.
A client will not want to give a novice his work to do.
Clients prefer someone with experience and that's why they will keep asking if you have any experience in the field.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48am On Nov 21, 2021
dobnina:

A client will not want to give a novice his work to do.
Clients prefer someone with experience and that's why they will keep asking if you have any experience in the field.

Well you can build projects which show you have some experience. Data science is a bit complicated though as its core business decisions. Op might not get a job in that field sha for years.
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by dobnina(f): 9:50am On Nov 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Well you can build projects which show you have some experience. Data science is a bit complicated though as its core business decisions. Op might not get a job in that field sha for years.
Wao!
That's serious. I didn't know that. I was only talking based on my own experience as a freelancer.
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:51am On Nov 21, 2021
dobnina:

Wao!
That's serious. I didn't know that. I was only talking based on my own experience as a freelancer.
Yeah I know lots of people who have gone to get jobs internationally sef with very fat salaries by just applying no experience just previous projects.
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by Raalsalghul: 10:50am On Nov 21, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

You should understand the difference between Data Analytics and Data Science.

A data analyst collects, cleans, visualize analyzes data and also compile reports.

A data scientist applies advanced statistical methods (basically machine learning) to predict data trends and is more of a programmer/mathematician when compared to an analyst.

Stop lumping them together.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by Raalsalghul: 10:58am On Nov 21, 2021
munstaqq:

My background is Accounting and I started learning Data/Business Analytics sometime this year and I'm quite good at Microsoft Excel, SQL, Power BI, Tableau, PowerPoint, and even started learning Python recently.

Thank you.

Lalasticlala

Start building projects. Register on Kaggle, there are enough datasets you can use for an end to end analysis there.

Then get a github account and post your projects there: then you can paste the link of your github account on your resume/LinkedIn profile for potential employers to see your works.

You might also have to look at international markets too as Nigeria is not ready for core analytics. Most analyst jobs in Nigeria are just data wrangling and entry.

And since you have an accounting background, also search for opportunities too in that field and see how you can combine the two to scale up.

The fact that employers are reaching out to you means there's demand. Don't give up!
Re: How Did You Land Your First Tech Job Without Experience? by ojaylyte: 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2021
munstaqq:

Thank you.

Lalasticlala

Try work experience in firms, offer to work for free in forms, get a mentor who can give you reference. Check my profile

https://joemad.softlink.cc/excelininformation

(1) (Reply)

You Can Supply Palm Kernel Shell (esan) To Cement Company As A Good Business / Be Itil First, Grab Service Desk Job With Etisalat,mtn,glo, With Ease / I Luv My Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.