Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,165 members, 7,849,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:11 AM

Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case (47826 Views)

Burial Photos Of The 32-Year-Old Lady Raped & Murdered In Jos / Ruth Yakadi: Lady Raped, Murdered & Dumped Near Bridge Is A UNIJOS Student / Esther Ita Stephen Gang Raped & Murdered In Akwa Ibom (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 7:58am On Nov 21, 2021
DNA evidence helped Washington State police officers to finally crack the 62-year-old cold case involving the brutal murder of a 9-year-old girl who was selling Camp Fire Girl mints.

Candy Rogers went missing in Spokane on March 6, 1959, and was found raped and strangled to death with her own clothing two weeks later.

Through the help of modern DNA evidence, police announced on Friday that Rogers's murderer was John Reigh Hoff, a US Army deserter who committed suicide in 1970.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10225665/62-year-old-cold-case-killed-9-year-old-Candy-Rogers-cracked-DNA-evidence.html?ito=social-facebook

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 7:58am On Nov 21, 2021
DNA evidence recently matched John Reigh Hoff to the crime. Hoff's sister had known Rogers.

The army deserter killed himself in 1970.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 7:59am On Nov 21, 2021
Cathie Hoff volunteered a DNA sample in September that helped cops lead to her father as the killer.

Police unearthed his body and found he was a match.

The big breakthrough came after police conducted DNA testing of a well-preserved semen sample found on Rogers's clothing, linking it to three brothers, John Reigh, Andrew and Terry Allen Hoff.

John Reigh had a daughter, Cathie, who then volunteered to submit a DNA sample in September that showed John Reigh Hoff was likely the killer.

Later that month, cops unearthed Hoff's grave to test his DNA, which conclusively indicated that the DNA found on Rogers was Hoff's, police said.

Cathie said she was angry when police told her that her father was the murderer.

She was just nine years old when Hoff killed himself.

Spokane Major Crimes Detective Zac Storment called the Candy Rogers case the Mount Everest of cold cases.

10 Likes

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 8:00am On Nov 21, 2021
Police uncovered her body in the woods. They concluded that the girl had been raped and then strangled to death with her own clothing.

The Camp Fire Girl treats was the only thing found during a town-wide search in the days after Rogers went missing.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 8:01am On Nov 21, 2021
During the initial days of the search for Rogers, a helicopter crashed and three airmen died.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Explorers(m): 8:01am On Nov 21, 2021
Rogers's cousin, Joanne Poss, cried as she learned the truth. 'I feel like candy's loss was just a horrible loss. She was just so cute'

Candy Rogers was an only child, and her parents have since passed away.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by cayorday89(m): 8:04am On Nov 21, 2021
Wow, power of technology, unraveling best kept secret.
Next technology should be about mind reading to eliminate evil people before they carry out their evil intention.
Can't imagine what all those families went though then, especially those who died in the crash during the search.

154 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by AlhajiNatty(m): 8:08am On Nov 21, 2021
Explorer on the beat!
Science to the rescue once again.
If only John Reigh had reined in on his sexual urges, Candy would have been 71 years and probably a grandmother.
One can only imagine the pains the little girl pass through before dying.
What an uncandy way for Candy to die!

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Ahmed0336(m): 8:11am On Nov 21, 2021
Ah

Lucky them, the now know who committed the crime.

Had it been this happened in UAR, the case would have long be buried or them go just hang am on top one innocent pesin head.

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by ugwumichael(m): 8:22am On Nov 21, 2021
Expressway to front page

Wow......... the beauty of science

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by lkillbrokehoes: 8:26am On Nov 21, 2021
This is what I love about the US, they wouldn't stop an investigation even if takes a century.

Assuming it happened in the giant of shíthole, the investigation would have been long forgotten since 1959.

108 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by extol1(m): 8:27am On Nov 21, 2021
OK
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by yanabasee2: 8:38am On Nov 21, 2021
She was innocent and committed no crime... But a man who couldn't control his dick found her sexually enticed enough to molest and killed her....

Having such a father will mean nothing to me...

I feel like exhuming his body and lay it straight and flog the deadbody till he will feel it in hell where he certainly is....

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Martinez39s(m): 9:09am On Nov 21, 2021
It is so sad that the rapist never got to suffer for what he did. He has forever eluded the claws of justice.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by tillaman(m): 9:13am On Nov 21, 2021
Damn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by JavaScript90: 9:14am On Nov 21, 2021
very painful and unfortunate loss to the parents. this is a working society where every case matters. finally I will say that 'TECHNOLOGY IS A GOD'
Hello, I am a fullstack web developer. I develop all types of website. I major in developing complex custom website and mobile apps for businesses and startups. If you have an idea and need a competent programmer to translate your idea into codes, I am the right man for the job.
I also have a nice real estate website for sale specially designed for the Nigerian market
Click my username to see my WhatsApp number on my profile

4 Likes

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Aaaaarghmed(m): 9:24am On Nov 21, 2021
God forbid Nigeria,why was I born here.

5 Likes

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by DamnnNiggarr: 9:53am On Nov 21, 2021
Following...
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by sisisioge: 11:03am On Nov 21, 2021
Martinez39s:
It is so sad that the rapist never got to suffer for what he did. He has forever eluded the claws of justice.

The azzzzhole suffered. He had to kill himself eventually. Can you imagine what turmoil he lived with?

Poor girl....I hope shes resting well. May God save us from the wickedness of this earth!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by descarado: 11:11am On Nov 21, 2021
In Nigeria whenever we can't unravel any mystery like this, sickness, events happening around us, we will chant " leave it to God or may God punish that person"

The same way we have been shouting may God punish buhari yet the old man has refused to die grin
If he dies now, he died a fulfilling old man as most of us will not live up to half his age.

Let us continue deceiving ourselves and continue to seek after loose money greedily.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by faithfull18(f): 11:12am On Nov 21, 2021
Hmmn!
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Doubleoh7: 11:34am On Nov 21, 2021
A cold case of 62 years still kept receiving adequate attention till it was solved. But here, once a new event occurs, everyone moves on. Next thing you will hear is God knows everything or leave vengeance to God

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Beremx(f): 1:58pm On Nov 21, 2021
DNA serving justice to criminals.

Nice one.

Lalasticlala
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by ForeThinker: 2:31pm On Nov 21, 2021
E b things
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by ILoveDemMANNA: 4:12pm On Nov 21, 2021
The rapist is burning in hell right now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Finewarriboy: 4:12pm On Nov 21, 2021
Oga pablo

Nawa o... Such a waste.
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by flexlatifa: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2021
OYIBO SEF......

MEDICINE AFTER DEATH...

VICTIM AND RAPIST ALL GONE AND NA NOW UNA COME DEY INVESTIGATE.

1 Like

Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Risingblue008(m): 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2021
Hmmm
Omo
Na real mount everest

Such a painful death u knw embarassed embarassed
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by illicit(m): 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2021
shocked
Re: Candy Rogers Raped & Murdered By John Reigh Hoff In 1959, DNA Solves Case by Cdng86: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2021
Too much bad news....

Hello, I create professional ANIMATIONS to advertise your products, services, business etc..... Send a message on whatsapp for samples via 0 9 0 6 4 4 5 8 1 0 9

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo Of The Nigerian Undergraduate Jailed For 24yrs For N25m Internet Scam / Thief Nabbed After Coming With Stolen Property For Another Operation In Abia.PIC / Police Defend Drambi Vandi Who Killed Pregnant Lawyer, Call Him ‘Nice Man’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.