Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System (9896 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Princess Adeola-Ogunwusi In Nigeria For Her Fathers Wedding / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by aloyemeka1: 1:53am On Jun 09, 2011
[size=14pt]Igbo royal fathers move to end Osu cast system – Ada Igbo , Ready to give out own daughters to Osu in-law [/size]
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu

Wednesday, June 8, 2011
In the days she led the police women association when her husband was still a Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of police, Evangelist (Mrs) Chioma Adeoye, made the association one to be reckoned with as she was vocal on many national issues. And today as a partner of the Royal Ministerial Outreach to Traditional Rulers of Africa (ROMTROA), Mrs Adeoye, who hails from Mbaise in Imo State, is adding her voice to the good work the traditional rulers are doing in the country, particularly in Igbo land.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/jun/8/522.html

She spoke with Daily Sun last week at the end of the 4th All Igbo Kings Convocation held at the Old House of Chiefs Chambers, Enugu now the Enugu State House of Assembly Complex, saying that the royal fathers in their group have resolved to abolish the Osu cast system in Igbo land even as one of the traditional rulers has vowed to give her daughters out to Osu son-in-laws. Excerpts:

My beginning

I gave my life to Christ in 1985. I remember when I was a young girl; I used to lead the block rosary. I have always really done the work of God. So, right from time I knew that I have the Holy Spirit in me and that the Lord has some assignment for me.

Our Kings from Igboland programme

These are the kings from Igbo land, Anambra, Abia, Imo, Ebonyi, Enugu, Delta and Rivers states, the kings from the seven states converged here on Enugu and our leader is His Royal Grace, Eze Tony Chukwuma Okoro from Umudike, Ikwuano kingdom. Before he became the leader of this group he used to be a Scripture Union member and an engineer by profession. But after he accepted the Ezeship of his kingdom, God called him to go and work with other Ezes and bring them back to God’s kingdom, in other words, for them to stop ritual practices, that the Ezes need somebody who will be telling them the truth, that some of the Ezes do not know some of the things they follow.

For instance, the Osu cast system, just yesterday some of the Ezes came out and promised to relinquish this Osu thing in their kingdom because they saw some of their colleagues that have done it and nothing happened to them. You know that some might be thinking that if I abolish this thing maybe I will die, but this forum is one that when they come together they share testimonies and go deep into the Bible to really see whether what they are doing or following is of God or not. But some of them find it difficult to come out, but God has used this group to really make some of the Ezes to stand. Last time we had some of our brethrens from Israel and the US who came together. Also God has made some openings through the Ezes too to Igala-land and Idoma, and a lot of them are now going back to God.

My recognition by the Ezes

You can see that today they made me the Ada-Igbo, Esther, which originally was my name and you will know the story of Esther. Esther did not marry to her people, she was married outside, but she had love for her people and, therefore, anywhere she was she was able to do something for her people and that is what I am doing.

Yes, to them I am their Esther and their Ada-Igbo. Like the Eze of Nri, Akajiofor of Igboland; we know Nri to be the first son of the Igbo. I don’t take chieftaincy titles, but these Ezes came together and brought out money to say this is a point of contact and made me the Ada-Igbo, the Esther of the Igbo. They gave me the money as a point of contact and prayed with me and I ministered to them. It is said that a prophet does not have honour in his land, but being the Ada eji eje mba 1 of Igbo land, I think my people deeply appreciate me. For instance, none of the kingdoms where these Ezes come from will do anything without calling me and there are occasions I go abroad to represent them.

Our leader, Eze Okoro

He has been the one that God has been using, this is the fourth convocation. It is a yearly event, but we still go out to other kingdoms like the one in Ekiti state, it is all about those who have believed in God and those who are ready to relinquish fetish things in their kingdoms. Like this Osu thing has been abolished by a good number of the Ezes.

Possibility of abolishing the Osu cast system in Igbo land

Yes, it is like the Eze that came out yesterday weeping, he said … in fact, when he was talking somebody asked a question, do you think the people will not be afraid of this and he said that he would help the Osus to come and marry his own children, he said that he would bring some of the Osus to his palace. That is what people are doing now, if you don’t have a daughter that they can marry, you allow them to marry from elsewhere. You’re to be the example, they have seen from the scripture that God did not call anybody an outcast, there is nothing like an Osu with the coming of Jesus Christ, it might have happened in the old testament, but when Jesus Christ came He abolished the whole thing.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 3:28am On Jun 09, 2011
grin Where to begin, where to begin. . .
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Odunnu: 5:16am On Jun 09, 2011
MayGOD give them the grace. Its long overdue
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Abagworo(m): 8:10am On Jun 09, 2011
This Osu issue was dead long ago but resurrected by a movie known as "taboo" in the early 90s.The more people keep talking about it the more newer generations know about it.For example I never heard of it until I watched taboo in 1997.I feel this was the case for most people.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by thosedays: 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2011
d
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Metalgoong(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2011
Who wants to marry an osu? Never!!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Kx: 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2011
thosedays:

They should end it in their respective families NOT in igbo Land.

Voice of dissent?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 09, 2011
Osu Caste system in Igbo land is like a Stubborn fly perching on the Scrotum Sac. Caution is needed in order not to aggravate the seemingly controlled case.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by babyme1(f): 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2011
Senseless culture.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by thosedays: 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2011
Kx:

Voice of dissent?

100% positive
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by akunta(f): 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2011
I Applaud any move 2 abolish such barbaric system disguised as "Osu" in Igbo land.
the Funny thing is that most of the so called "osu" are far better than the so called "free Born"
In the eyes of God, we r all created equally,"no more shall the sins of the father be visited upon the sons"
In as much as one is no longer involved in the worship of deities like their fore fathers, they should be
allowed to interact freely with others!
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by freezy(m): 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2011
Okoro2015:

Osu Caste system in Igbo land is like a Stubborn fly perching on the Scrotum Sac. Caution is needed in order not to aggravate the seemingly controlled case.

^^^^  grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2011
People do not seem to understand the value of letting sleeping dogs lie.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 12:52pm On Jun 09, 2011
I am not surprised that the lady mentioned in article, Chioma Adeoye, who seems to spearhead the futile effort on Osu is married to a Yoruba man. Any Eze that allowed his family to get involved in OSU issue shall cease to be royalty. The practice that gave rise to Osu system is no longer obtainable in Igboland. Those trying very hard to extricate themselves from the unfortunate cultural maker should be very careful not to rekindle the awareness.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ektbear: 1:24pm On Jun 09, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Mortiple(m): 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2011
Okoro2015:

GBAM!!!

Osu issue is a very sensitive one. People who continually bring it up for deliberation in public domain are not helping the situation. They end up sensitizing our young ones, especially those born in the city that are not even conscious of its existence. I think the system will die a natural death if no one discusses it in years to come.

For instance, in some localities in Igbo land in the past, free born would not buy or sell products to them; allow them participate in (village) meeting; invite them or attend their functions; participate in Osu's wake-keep (as it was an abomination to pass night there); befriend or marry an Osu, confer an Osu with a Chieftaincy title, etc.  All of these have changed, except on the issue of marriage.

The Eze's should do more than talking.  Let them encourage their children and immediate family to marry Osu (that is, if they themselves are Free Born); by so doing, their subjects will take them serious.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by panteleonk: 1:51pm On Jun 09, 2011
God forbid, i will never marry an osu or umeh, neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it can never be abolished neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by kabukabu50(m): 2:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

And just who is the sleeping dog in this case Einstein grin

People like you and I who have no say in what family that they are born into,but end up having their future determined for them by a bunch of illiterate egomaniacal old men??

You need to have an total epiphany on what life is,my friend grin
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by adeibi: 2:39pm On Jun 09, 2011
panteleonk:

God forbid, i will never marry an osu or umeh, neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it can never be abolished neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and what is it about UMEH? Are they also OSU? Cos I had a friend back in high sch who bears Umeh as surname.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ifyalways(f): 3:24pm On Jun 09, 2011
The so-called Osu system and people exisit only in the cyberworld or in some poor man's head. . .

In the real world,2011,I without doubt believe that No such thing is pratised or obtainable anymore in Igboland.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by deadie(m): 3:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
thosedays:

They should end it in their respective families NOT in Igbo Land.

Metalgoong:

Who wants to marry an osu? Never!!

Dede1:

I am not surprised that the lady mentioned in article, Chioma Adeoye, who seems to spearhead the futile effort on Osu is married to a Yoruba man. Any Eze that allowed his family to get involved in OSU issue shall cease to be royalty. The practice that gave rise to Osu system is no longer obtainable in Igboland. Those trying very hard to extricate themselves from the unfortunate cultural maker should be very careful not to rekindle the awareness.  

ChinenyeN:

panteleonk:

Let me start by saying that I am not an Osu or Umeh or whatever. My dad is a traditional ruler who is in support of the Osu caste system. I remember having a discussion with him once about it, which ended up making him really mad. The above quoted comments will probably resonate well with my father, but it I see it as the highest level of ignorance that one can display, especially in the 21st century. I am a very proud Igbo man, who really loves my culture. What I love most about us is that we are hardworking and believe in the freedom of religion.

However, this Osu system is probably what I hate most about our culture and anyone who promotes it deserve to be stuck in the slave trade era. I am not speaking from a religious point of view, I don't really consider myself a Christian. I consider myself more of a traditionalist, so why shouldn't I be in favour of the  age  old tradition?

I can't quite tell how Osu and Umeh originated. But let us argue that culture and tradition should be maintained and not changed. The consequence? Obama would be a slave. Every black man in the US would be a slave. I, living in Europe would be a slave. You think it is horrible right? Well, those were White people, doing it to people they considered were less human, so it should be easier to justify. Speak in favour of slavery in the civilised world now and they probably would put you in a museum as an archeological discovery. How about discriminating against your OWN brother, who speaks the same language and shares the same cultural value with you? That is the ultimate, the worst form of discrimination that you can do.

It is really sad that young and educated Igbos can espouse the views quoted above. It just shows that you guys are stuck in ignorance and deserve no place in a modern Igbo society. I salute the royal fathers for their stance. Time to end discrimination against our own. And for you guys who wish for the system to continue, I hope you travel out of your little world to where you would be discriminated against. Classic M.O.R.O.N.S.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Refugee1: 4:19pm On Jun 09, 2011
Is the Osu system still in existence. I thought the damn thing was done away with long ago. By the way, who is an Osu? If two people stand naked in front of a crowd, one an osu and the other not an one, is there any difference between them. Why do people still abide by useless laws and traditions. As for me, I don't recognize royalty. As a popular Igbo saying goes, everybody is King in his own house. Lest I forget, Colonel Ike Nwosu (child of an Osu) was a one time military administrator of Abia state. All the so-called royal fathers were obeying his commands. So damn the tradition.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ZE: 4:25pm On Jun 09, 2011
Okoro2015:

Osu Caste system in Igbo land is like a Stubborn fly perching on the Scrotum Sac.

that is,

ikere bere na akpa amu

very risky
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Guyman02: 5:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
its no longer a big issue in Igboland. most of the so-called traditional rulers have no respect in their communities and with the proliferation of automous communities by subsequent PDP Govts, many of those who were once refered to as Osu are now traditional rulers themselves and occupy political positions on behalf of the S/E.

There is nothing much to be discussed on this thread. Most of those who grew with it as a taboo are rapidly dieing off to old age while the younger generation even get married in court in the cities before coming to the village to inform their families.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by lagcity(m): 5:10pm On Jun 09, 2011
adeibi:

and what is it about UMEH? Are they also OSU? Cos I had a friend back in high sch who bears Umeh as surname.

which high school u go?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 5:46pm On Jun 09, 2011
deadie:

Let me start by saying that I am not an Osu or Umeh or whatever. My dad is a traditional ruler who is in support of the Osu caste system. I remember having a discussion with him once about it, which ended up making him really mad. The above quoted comments will probably resonate well with my father, but it I see it as the highest level of ignorance that one can display, especially in the 21st century. I am a very proud Igbo man, who really loves my culture. What I love most about us is that we are hardworking and believe in the freedom of religion.

However, this Osu system is probably what I hate most about our culture and anyone who promotes it deserve to be stuck in the slave trade era. I am not speaking from a religious point of view, I don't really consider myself a Christian. I consider myself more of a traditionalist, so why shouldn't I be in favour of the  age  old tradition?

I can't quite tell how Osu and Umeh originated. But let us argue that culture and tradition should be maintained and not changed. The consequence? Obama would be a slave. Every black man in the US would be a slave. I, living in Europe would be a slave. You think it is horrible right? Well, those were White people, doing it to people they considered were less human, so it should be easier to justify. Speak in favour of slavery in the civilised world now and they probably would put you in a museum as an archeological discovery. How about discriminating against your OWN brother, who speaks the same language and shares the same cultural value with you? That is the ultimate, the worst form of discrimination that you can do.

It is really sad that young and educated Igbos can espouse the views quoted above. It just shows that you guys are stuck in ignorance and deserve no place in a modern Igbo society. I salute the royal fathers for their stance. Time to end discrimination against our own. And for you guys who wish for the system to continue, I hope you travel out of your little world to where you would be discriminated against. Classic M.O.R.O.N.S.

I must state categorically that any form of ignorance displayed on this discuss comes from you. You are not only ignorant to the soul but deluded to the nature. You simply can not eat your cake and have it.

You elucidated two schools of thought that tend to contradict your goofy believes about the issue in question. If you publicly accepted the tradition, via your father as traditional ruler and freedom of religion which saw the creation of Osu and still call out those who cherish their religion and culture with moderations, I say you are yet to find your self. It is matter of delusion for you to remotely call Obama, whose grandfather was traditional ruler in Kenya, a slave.

Since you are a self acclaimed prince, thus you father is a traditional ruler as stated, I suggest you blaze the trail by marrying Osu from your autonomous community. It is very funny you wrote about education or lack thereof. Again, I resourcefully say you have no business talking about “education”. I am quite sure you are also deluded about the word-education. By the way, the secondary education I received from my forebears was to understand the dictates of Igbo culture and tradition. In fact, I did not need the four walls of European-styled curriculum to comprehend my space.

Whether you are an Osu or Diala, marriage requires stringent family background investigation unless you are such an imbecilic m.oron who would murder prudence on the altar of stupidity called anti-discrimination.  Nobody has stopped Osu from achieving personal goals in Igboland. Some of the Osu have become anything from school headmaster to governor in Igboland. Who is the fool talking about discrimination?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 5:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
Refugee 1:

Is the Osu system still in existence. I thought the damn thing was done away with long ago. By the way, who is an Osu? If two people stand unclothed in front of a crowd, one an osu and the other not an one, is there any difference between them. Why do people still abide by useless laws and traditions. As for me, I don't recognize royalty. As a popular Igbo saying goes, everybody is King in his own house. Lest I forget, Colonel Ike Nwosu (child of an Osu) was a one time military administrator of Abia state. All the so-called royal fathers were obeying his commands. So damn the tradition.

Please be cautioned that names and surnames in Igbo land do not necessarily indicate if one is Osu or Ume as in the case of Nwosu or Nwumeh.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Roland17(m): 6:04pm On Jun 09, 2011
even if they pronounce the end of the cast system, the mentality would be there for a long time, my Girl back then was very scared we would not get married because she was that shiiiit.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by Dede1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2011
Roland17:

even if they pronounce the end of the cast system, the mentality would be there for a long time, my Girl back then was very scared we would not get married because she was that shiiiit.

Please for the sake of a curious mind, did you marry the shiiiit?
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by ChinenyeN(m): 6:09pm On Jun 09, 2011
kabukabu, you don't know what you're talking about. I'll reiterate, people do not seem to understand the value of letting sleeping dogs lie.
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by adeibi: 7:03pm On Jun 09, 2011
lagcity:

which high school u go?

umukoro community development high school.
She was such a nice girl. Not until today did I find out that Umeh is Osu. Na wa o
Re: Igbo Royal Fathers Move To End Osu Cast System by senator2b: 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2011
It will be good thing if they abolish this long over due culture but it will make more sense if the EZEs could give out their own immediate families hands in marriage to an OSU person first. I know wat i'm saying coz recently i was involved in an OSU girl and the only reason she could not marry me until now is the OSU stigma she has and if even before now she has lost many suitor to this devilish culture, which prompted her to want have anything to do with Igbo people can u be tat. sad angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo Tribal Marks And Their Meaning / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman: / 13. Odu Otura Meji- Fear God And You Will Succeed As A Leader Of Men!.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.