Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,469 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:04 AM

What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation (1761 Views)

Is Being Slain In The Spirit Biblical? / Slain In The Spirit - Pure And Absolute Heresy / Italian Nun Slain In Mogadishu - Asks God To Forgive Her Killers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jun 09, 2011
The term "slain in the Spirit" is used in the Charismatic circles of Christian Churches to designate a supposed movement of the Holy Spirit upon a person.  The claim is that the Holy Spirit moves with such power on a person, that the person is "slain."  This does not mean the person dies, but that he/she is so overcome by the presence of the Spirit that he/she falls down to the ground being completely overcome.

Many evangelists have televised meetings where Christians gather.  Some of these meetings have special times of healing or "receiving the Spirit."  This is where the "evangelist," who is supposedly anointed to be able to do this, goes around putting his hand on peoples' foreheads causing them to fall down -- to be slain in the Spirit -- as they are overcome by the presence of the Holy Spirit.  This display is unfortunate since it is unverifiable, ostentatious, and could very well be nothing more than the overcoming power of emotions of a person.

On the other hand, it is possible that the Holy Spirit could move so powerfully on a person that he/she is overcome.  After all, God is incredibly powerful.  But, the problem is not with this possibility, but with whether or not it is biblical.  We must always seek to remain as close as possible to the word of God and let it guide our words and practices.  So, let's look at the Word.

Perhaps the closest occurrence we can find in the Bible to being slain in the Spirit is where Paul the apostle fell to the ground when Jesus appeared to him:

"And it came about that as he journeyed, he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; 4 and he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?'" (Acts 9:3-4).

Is this being slain in the Spirit?  No, it is not.  But it is an instance where people fell to the ground when the presence of the Lord was strong.  In fact, my own subjective experience includes a time where the power of the Lord was so strong that I was forced to bow my knee and be laid low to the ground.  But the result was worship and adoration, not a lack of bodily control.

Nevertheless, let's look at some additional scriptures used to support being slain in the Spirit:

"And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. 3 And his appearance was like lightning, and his garment as white as snow; 4 and the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men," (Matt. 28:2-4).
Judas then, having received the Roman cohort, and officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, came there with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all the things that were coming upon Him, went forth, and said to them, 'Whom do you seek?' 5 They answered Him, 'Jesus the Nazarene.' He said to them, 'I am He.' And Judas also who was betraying Him, was standing with them. 6 When therefore He said to them, 'I am He,' they drew back, and fell to the ground," (John 18:3-6).

"at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me. 14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads,"' (Acts 26:13-14).

We can see that in the presence of God people fall to the ground.  This is natural and proper given the majestic holiness of God compared to our sinfulness.  Falling to the ground in the presence of the Lord is to be expected.  But, does this mean that being slain in the Spirit is biblical?

When someone is slain in the Spirit, he or she is usually touched on the forehead by a pastor or teacher or evangelist, etc.  This touch alone seems to be the compelling means by which a person receives this movement of the Spirit.  The person is then incapacitated for a period of time.  Again, is this biblical?  Apparently not since there is not a single instance in the New Testament where someone is touched on the forehead and falls to the ground due to the presence of the Spirit.

Furthermore, the danger in this phenomena is that it can be set up by the teacher who appears as someone special, an "anointed" individual with the power to cause the Spirit to move on people. They then congregate around this individual and view him/her as a specially-anointed person.  This is inherently dangerous, especially given the numerous theological errors taught by many of the TV evangelists.

Now, I am not saying that the Spirit of God cannot knock someone down or that the Spirit of God does not move today.  I wholeheartedly believe that the Spirit is still very active in the Church.  But, given the sensationalism in the TV church, the numerous unbiblical practices and teachings that occur there, and the over-eagerness of people to be slain in the Spirit, I would conclude that this phenomena is to be frowned upon.

http://carm.org/questions/about-church/what-does-it-mean-be-slain-spirit
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by yommyuk: 12:00am On Jun 10, 2011
Seeing is believing.

Go to one of this CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHIRST churches listed below and see the real manifestation of the HOLY SPIRIT.

Just go for the experience.

National Headquarters (8 Harton Street, Depford, London SE8) [TEL: 0181 692 8320]

Elephant & Castle Parish (Glengall Road, Peckham,
London SE15) [TEL: 0171 639 9417]

Battersea Parish (Caius House, Holman Rd, Off Lombard Rd, Battersea, London SW11 3RL) [TEL: 0171 924 7541, FAX: 0181 678 1556, MOBILE : 0956 411 319]

Clapham Parish (204A Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough Junction, London SW9 8SA) [TEL: 0207 737-7927, 0207 737 6464]

Edward Street Parish (St. Marks Centre, Edward Street, London SE14 6QX) [0208 692 9036 - MSE F.A.O. SALU]

New Jerusalem Parish (Unit 20, Richmond Hills, 159 Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DL [Tel: +44 7553037150, +44 7733842141] Email: cccnjbradford@yahoo.co.uk).

God bless smiley
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by PstRotimi1: 9:28am On Jun 10, 2011
Dear frosbel,I can see you know scriptures but probabbly due to some bad experiences you've had with some believers, you chose to have a different view of some of this experiences. The scriptures you quoted are correct but you see experiences with individuals vary.

Rev 1:17 17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:.

I personally believe that the pupose of laying on of hands is not to make people fall. The primary essence is to transmit the power of God to the individual. The reaction now varies from people to people. Some may not fall at all, some do. If it is a demonic case you may see a violent reaction.

Mark 9:25-27
25When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

26And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead.

27But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

If the purpose of ministering to people is to fall, that is wrong just pure human egotism. But for a true servant of God, his pupose is to minister to the people praying for them to break the hold of the devil and to heal the sick.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by Joagbaje(m): 10:12am On Jun 10, 2011
yommyuk:

Seeing is believing.

Go to one of this CELESTIAL CHURCH OF CHIRST churches listed below and see the real manifestation of the HOLY SPIRIT. Just go for the experience.

I remember " aisun ipari osu" (monthly vigil) I don't know if they still do it.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by yommyuk: 11:32am On Jun 10, 2011
Yes we do. First Thursday of d month
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by nuella2(f): 3:02pm On Jun 10, 2011
Joagbaje:

I remember " aisun ipari osu" (monthly vigil) I don't know if they still do it.

Whats the meaning of the words in red?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 10, 2011
To be honest I have my reservations on white garment churches.

I will do some research and come back with an article.

But many of their practices are not scriptural but are based on the flesh and emotion.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by Joagbaje(m): 4:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
^^^
why you are busy doing research to criticise others, have you researched how you ought to receive the holyghost as Jesus promised the church, have you researched what role you ought to play in world evangelisation, intercession etc.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by Joagbaje(m): 5:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
nuella2:

Whats the meaning of the words in red?

The interpretation is in the bracket
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by newmi(m): 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
@yommyuk
No SEEING IS BELIEVING at all, that is for the world because its not scriptural rather BELIEVING IS SEEING
"John 20:29
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed[ are] they that have not seen, and[ yet] have believed"

So l wonder on what basis your affirmation is founded
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by nlMediator: 9:29pm On Jun 10, 2011
"No SEEING IS BELIEVING at all, that is for the world because its not scriptural rather BELIEVING IS SEEING."

Actually, both are for the christian. In some natural (not necessarily the same as worldly) things, christians are expected to walk by sight; to see before they believe. That's what you do everyday when you cross the road. That's what you should do when you look at your bank account and know the amount in it, so you don't mislead somebody selling an item to you. It also applies to some spiritual matters, which may include the context it was used in the earlier post, inviting somebody to see the manifestation of the Spirit. You can believe God that a miracle would manifest even before you see it. But after the miracle manifests, it is alright, especially for others, to want to see it before one believes it truly happened. That's why christians should not shy from presenting healings and miracles wrought though their hands for independent evaluation.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by thehomer: 11:37pm On Jun 10, 2011
frosbel:

The term "slain in the Spirit" is used in the Charismatic circles of Christian Churches to designate a supposed movement of the Holy Spirit upon a person.  The claim is that the Holy Spirit moves with such power on a person, that the person is "slain."  This does not mean the person dies, but that he/she is so overcome by the presence of the Spirit that he/she falls down to the ground being completely overcome.

Many evangelists have televised meetings where Christians gather.  Some of these meetings have special times of healing or "receiving the Spirit."  This is where the "evangelist," who is supposedly anointed to be able to do this, goes around putting his hand on peoples' foreheads causing them to fall down -- to be slain in the Spirit -- as they are overcome by the presence of the Holy Spirit.  This display is unfortunate since it is unverifiable, ostentatious, and could very well be nothing more than the overcoming power of emotions of a person.

On the other hand, it is possible that the Holy Spirit could move so powerfully on a person that he/she is overcome.  After all, God is incredibly powerful.  But, the problem is not with this possibility, but with whether or not it is biblical.  We must always seek to remain as close as possible to the word of God and let it guide our words and practices.  So, let's look at the Word.

Perhaps the closest occurrence we can find in the Bible to being slain in the Spirit is where Paul the apostle fell to the ground when Jesus appeared to him:

"And it came about that as he journeyed, he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; 4 and he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?'" (Acts 9:3-4).

Is this being slain in the Spirit?  No, it is not.  But it is an instance where people fell to the ground when the presence of the Lord was strong.  In fact, my own subjective experience includes a time where the power of the Lord was so strong that I was forced to bow my knee and be laid low to the ground.  But the result was worship and adoration, not a lack of bodily control.

Nevertheless, let's look at some additional scriptures used to support being slain in the Spirit:

"And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. 3 And his appearance was like lightning, and his garment as white as snow; 4 and the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men," (Matt. 28:2-4).
Judas then, having received the Roman cohort, and officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, came there with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all the things that were coming upon Him, went forth, and said to them, 'Whom do you seek?' 5 They answered Him, 'Jesus the Nazarene.' He said to them, 'I am He.' And Judas also who was betraying Him, was standing with them. 6 When therefore He said to them, 'I am He,' they drew back, and fell to the ground," (John 18:3-6).

"at midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining all around me and those who were journeying with me. 14 And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew dialect, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads,"' (Acts 26:13-14).

We can see that in the presence of God people fall to the ground.  This is natural and proper given the majestic holiness of God compared to our sinfulness.  Falling to the ground in the presence of the Lord is to be expected.  But, does this mean that being slain in the Spirit is biblical?

When someone is slain in the Spirit, he or she is usually touched on the forehead by a pastor or teacher or evangelist, etc.  This touch alone seems to be the compelling means by which a person receives this movement of the Spirit.  The person is then incapacitated for a period of time.  Again, is this biblical?  Apparently not since there is not a single instance in the New Testament where someone is touched on the forehead and falls to the ground due to the presence of the Spirit.

Furthermore, the danger in this phenomena is that it can be set up by the teacher who appears as someone special, an "anointed" individual with the power to cause the Spirit to move on people. They then congregate around this individual and view him/her as a specially-anointed person.  This is inherently dangerous, especially given the numerous theological errors taught by many of the TV evangelists.

Now, I am not saying that the Spirit of God cannot knock someone down or that the Spirit of God does not move today.  I wholeheartedly believe that the Spirit is still very active in the Church.  But, given the sensationalism in the TV church, the numerous unbiblical practices and teachings that occur there, and the over-eagerness of people to be slain in the Spirit, I would conclude that this phenomena is to be frowned upon.

http://carm.org/questions/about-church/what-does-it-mean-be-slain-spirit

If the holy spirit himself could go around assassinating people for not fully giving away their money, how difficult will it be for him to just temporarily make sinners swoon?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by OmoTier1(m): 6:08pm On Jun 11, 2011
thehomer:

If the holy spirit himself could go around assassinating people for not fully giving away their money, how difficult will it be for him to just temporarily make sinners swoon?
Correction, these people were never slained by the Holy Ghost. Just take your time to study that scripture again.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by thehomer: 12:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Correction, these people were never slained by the Holy Ghost. Just take your time to study that scripture again.

Oh? So who killed them?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be Slain In The Spirit? - An Honest Evaluation by yommyuk: 8:11pm On Jun 13, 2011
newmi:

@yommyuk
No SEEING IS BELIEVING at all, that is for the world because its not scriptural rather BELIEVING IS SEEING
"John 20:29
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed[ are] they that have not seen, and[ yet] have believed"

So l wonder on what basis your affirmation is founded

@newmi

Job done for me
nlMediator:

"No SEEING IS BELIEVING at all, that is for the world because its not scriptural rather BELIEVING IS SEEING."

Actually, both are for the christian. In some natural (not necessarily the same as worldly) things, christians are expected to walk by sight; to see before they believe. That's what you do everyday when you cross the road. That's what you should do when you look at your bank account and know the amount in it, so you don't mislead somebody selling an item to you. It also applies to some spiritual matters, which may include the context it was used in the earlier post, inviting somebody to see the manifestation of the Spirit. You can believe God that a miracle would manifest even before you see it. But after the miracle manifests, it is alright, especially for others, to want to see it before one believes it truly happened. That's why christians should not shy from presenting healings and miracles wrought though their hands for independent evaluation.
kiss

(1) (Reply)

Mother Theresa Orphanage Home, Ketu / The Lineage Of Jesus Is From Mary Not Joseph / Uk Charity Commission Takes Over Christ Embassy In The Uk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.