Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? (18555 Views)

Nigerians In UK Engage In Praise And Worship On The Street Of Cannock (video) / Why Didn't You Go To Church?? Sundays Frequently Asked Question / Opinion!!!!! Any Christian That Goes To Work On Sundays Will Not Make Heaven.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Solofresh2: 9:56am On Nov 28, 2021
Hello Nairaland Christians, have you for once wondered why you christains worship on Sundays and not the Sabbath day.

If you study your Bible well, you will realize that when GOD was done with his creations,he rested on the Seventh day and blessed it saying we should keep it holy.

Now, looking at the days of the week, the seventh day of the week is Saturday and not Sunday.Sunday is the first day of a new week.
So,why do we worship on Sundays and not the seventh day of the week?
Are we really following God's commandments at all or we are just deceiving ourselves?

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by ImoleNaija: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
Modified: confusion as usual

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Yungmil: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
The mods sorry gods must be crazy?

How on earth did this make front page?

Watch out the next thing you will see on front page will be.....

Why do people eat food!!!!!!!

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by devilmaycry: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
Simple question

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Vnnapoo: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
Because they chose to

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Chatflick(m): 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
Waiting for pastor righteousness to come

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by BigSarah(f): 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
There are many Flavours of Christianity, not all Christians worship on Sunday

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by nairavsdollars(f): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Why do Muslims worship on Fridays

97 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Xenry: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
To some, Monday is the first day of the week. To others, it is Sunday. I believe it's Monday instead.
But which ever one it is, I'm just tire of all these many churches. Some of them are built and managed by agberos who left the street to try another hustling strategy.
What I do these days is pray on my own, believe and live with faith. The bible said my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, that means that I lives in a Church of God. So, I'm enough even when I'm alone with God.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by holygoat(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Because of sunday rice

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by yemzone(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Let me take my chair and wait for responses.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by sotall(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Man wasn't made for the law.

The law was made for man

Hence, man can choose any day of the week to serve his God.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by swhiss: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
After God brought His people out of Egypt and through the Red Sea, the Sabbath day took on even more significance as a covenant sign that God sanctified His people (Ex. 31:13). On that day, the saints celebrated the reality that God had created them and that their rest was rooted in His rest: "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day" (Ex. 20:8-11). As well, the Sabbath signified that God had redeemed His people (Deut. 5:12-15). Finally, the annual Day of Atonement fell on a Sabbath (Lev. 16:30-31), so the Sabbath also celebrated God's forgiveness of His people.

Under the old covenant with Israel (Ex. 19; Heb. 8:6, 7, 13), the Sabbath day was extremely strict. Not only was no work to be done by the Israelites and their children, they also were to give rest to all in their households—servants, livestock, even sojourners (Ex. 20:10). God even gave regulatory laws over what could and could not be done. For example, if one even went out to gather sticks on the Sabbath in order to kindle a fire (Num. 15:32-36; Ex. 35:1-3), he was to be put to death (Ex. 31:14-15; 35:2). All this strictness was a part of the tutelage of the law, which was meant to lead Israel by the hand to Jesus Christ (Gal. 3:24), who is the final sacrifice ending the old covenant (Heb. 7:11-12, 18-19; 8:7, 13).

When Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week, things changed. Christ, the second Adam, "finished" (John 19:30) the work that the first Adam failed to do (Rom. 5:12-19). Because of that pivotal event, the church determined that for Christians under the new covenant, the day of worship and celebration of the Lord's grace in Jesus Christ was to be the first day of the week, Sunday: "From the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, [the Sabbath] was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week, which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's day, and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath" (WCF, 21:7). On this day, we are reminded of and participate in the glorious reality that we have already entered God's rest (Matt. 11:28; Heb. 4:10) and that we await the experience of the fullness of this rest in eternity in the new heavens and new earth (Rev. 21-22). We now assemble corporately for worship and enjoy a foretaste of our eternal rest, then go out into the kingdom of this world to work for six days.

So why do we worship on Sunday and not Saturday?

•The first day of the week was the day on which our Lord rose from the dead (John 20:1; cf. Ps. 118:24).

•The first day of the week is called "the Lord's day" (Rev. 1:10; cf. 1 Cor. 16:2).
The first day was the day on which the Holy Spirit was poured out on the church (Acts 2:1-36).

•Just as on the first day of creation God made light and separated it from the darkness, we gather on the first day of the week to celebrate the light of the gospel in Jesus Christ, who has separated us from the world of the darkness of sin (John 1:5, 9; 3:19; 8:12; 2 Cor. 4:1-6).

125 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Andyvilly: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Because of the Roman sun God Sarturn. Hail be it's name cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by brosom(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

But Sunday is not the Sabbath day, it's Saturday.

It was doctrine/ignorance of men that fixed Sunday as Sabbath/holy day.

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Tototoosweet: 9:59am On Nov 28, 2021
Going to church doesn’t change anything or guarantee your salvation
I have my altar in my house where I worship my God
I pay my Tithes to a particular church whenever I am in Lagos
So lock up

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021
Holy day
Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by OtemAtum: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021
Hmm. They do so because Paul the Apostle was trying to divert the minds of people on those days from Saturday(Sabbath day, Holy day of Judaism) to Sunday(which should become the holy day of the christians instead).

Anyways, nowadays as Jehovah remain in his SPIRITUAL CAGE, Sunday is gradually becoming a normal day as many people don't go to church anymore.

It's AGE OF AQUARIUS, we are experiencing mind evolution to take us past the lies of religions into the truth of SCIENCE.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Bilabong(m): 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021
Don't know!
Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by chigoziri2403(m): 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021
It's Christian practice
Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by ReacherSaidNoth: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021
It doesn't matter what day, still a useless activity undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by NwaNimo1(m): 10:00am On Nov 28, 2021

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by tiswell(m): 10:01am On Nov 28, 2021
Sunday is a day the Romans worship their sun god.

The Roman calendar and Roman Catholic,during the Roman empire changed the mode and day of worship for Christianity.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by twilliamx(m): 10:01am On Nov 28, 2021
SUN-DAY

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by GboyegaD(m): 10:01am On Nov 28, 2021
It has been established as our sabbath day.
Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by DropsMic(m): 10:01am On Nov 28, 2021
Hmm

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by McBishop2020: 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
.Who made Sunday the first day of the week? Who made the calendar?
Was it the Almighty that made some months 31, some 30, and yet another either 28 or 29? Where is it recorded in the Bible that the Creator of the universe rested on Saturday?

What is the significant of 7th day and rest?
For those in a culture that counts a week by 4 days, which day is their 7th day of the week?
When was the days of the week, as we have them now, named and who named them: the Creator, Adam, or the created?

Finally, who is the Creator of the universe?

Answer these questions and stop raising stupid questions. Your question is meant for the gullible and uneducated ones.

Thanks.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Tototoosweet: 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
Honestly I gave up when I see the so called acclaimed people calling themselves Christian indulge in so many ungodly acts and they occupy prominent and sensible positions in the church...
And those positions requires holiness but no they are polluting that specific area hereby taking away God’s presence from the church..
This is not a once issue but a continuous act

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
Because that was the day Christ resurrected

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Christians Worship On Sundays? by Myer(m): 10:02am On Nov 28, 2021
Do your research. You have google for Christ sake. Don't be lazy.

Originally Sabath (Shabath) was observed on Saturday according to early Jews and was at Mount Horeb or by facing it.

But since Jesus said he is the Lord of Sabath, the sacredness of Saturday as sabath became optional.

Constantine, the king of Rome decided to shift the Sabath to Sunday since Jesus resurrected on Sunday.

As a Christian, what is most significant is to have personal relationship with God. Worshiping God in spirit and truth. John 4:21-24

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Great Bible Contradictions / Noah : The Real Story - Joseph Prince Sermon Notes / "I Want To Go To Heaven" - Olusegun Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.