Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,331 members, 7,819,137 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

How Relevant Is Linux - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Relevant Is Linux (4829 Views)

Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Relevant Is Linux by Optimus10(m): 1:43am On Jun 10, 2011
Hello peeps,please i need info on how relevant linux is in the nigerian technology industry especially the telecoms sector?are there alot of opportunities for the linux guru?thanks in anticipation of favourable responses
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by kanirip: 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2011
There are a fair amount of opportunities in the Telecoms Software ( VAS ) field for Linux engineers. Most of the Charging systems being developed by the Telecom vendors depends on Unix based systems.

In order to get in the door you may need to get a UNIX based certification ( Sun or IBM) and then once you are in , you can showcase and translate your abilities onto any platform that you are faced with.

Hope this helps.

BR,
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by naijaswag1: 5:40pm On Jun 27, 2011
google runs on linux.that is how relevant linux is worldwide.if the website that has hit 1billion visitors a month runs on linux,use your teeth and count your tongue.

the recent inec registration exercise application runs on linux too,that is to bring it closer home.

as for the sector you are interested in,i donno.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
It is most relevant in server based applications that any other.

1 Like

Re: How Relevant Is Linux by lojik(m): 9:36pm On Jul 06, 2011
I run Linux on my Laptop (Only Ubuntu linux no windows at all). I have also changed the official laptops of all my staff to Linux only. I couldn't continue with virus infested windows.
There's really not much difference because i run my windows exe files in linux.
I am typing this post on Firefox 5 on my Ubuntu Linux.
My entire company is now running on Open-source Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty) and we are happy about it.

I dont like piracy so i am better off with Opensource.
In my own capacity, Linux is indispensable.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2011
There are still loads of software which are not com compatible with Linux. Even there are a lot of Windows applications that wine rather Winetrick and PlayonLinux can't really convert to operate on Linux platforms. They usually crash or report bug errors. On Desktop Linux still has a lot to do but on the server side of things it is the master. It all depend on what you really what to do with both, Windows and Linux are okay in their own respective areas. If I were you I would use both of them. It will broaden your mind!
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by lojik(m): 11:58pm On Jul 06, 2011
"Broaden my mind"?
I have been using windows sing late 90's, i am not using it for games. My use is driven by productivity and so far, wine + playonlinux runs the few software that i cant get a linux equivalent for.

You also need to use Ubuntu 11.04 and its unity (Unity+compiz=outstanding) interface on a tablet pc or slate to see how poorly designed for the future windows 7 is.
As for me, there's nothing else windows can offer me for my work that i have not found on linux right now.

Best of all, its free + its virus free + its fine (compiz+unity) + its free + its touch friendly + its free + its fast + its free (did i mention that its free?)
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 12:20am On Jul 07, 2011
I am using both at the moment! I am using Ubutun 11.04 Natty Narwal at the moment as linux OS!

There are a lot you can't do in messaging clients, most especially, in the area of video and voice. I think only Skype is the online messaging client that is using video and voice effectively on Ubuntu. When compare with the number of people using those clients for daily activities you would soon find out how important they are.

Not everything is meant for business uses. Point of correction Windows 7 is not the future, there are more Windows versions to follow. Windows 8 would soon be out and be effective in tablets, if not better. Windows is innovative, though, somehow very marketing oriented.

Linux is very good being an Open Source and I respect it for that! I really do! But, the truth must be told where it deserves to be told!
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by alexis(m): 3:29pm On Jul 15, 2011
It's very relevant.

Most of the telecom systems are running tainted versions of Unix/Linux i.e. SMSCs, billing platforms etc. I suggest you start looking at certifications like LPIC, Redhat and others. This forum is probably running on a server powered by Linux smiley

Also, the skillset you will get as a Linux tech/admin will help you in order environments. Picking up other OSes like microsoft, MAC and others will come in handy and the transition will be very easy.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by lojik(m): 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2011
@all4naija
While linux may not solve a lot of things that have become a standard in windows, there's a price to pay for using windows. It all depends on what you use it for.
I have a lot of document that needs to be secure even when any of my laptops are stolen.
I have to be effectively protected against spywares and viruses at minimum or no costs and minimum or no updates.
I have a lot of needs that are simply too costly or impossible to implement in windows. I use Linux.

*Point of correction*
Windows 8 is not coming anytime soon (except of course 1 year is "soon" to you) and moreover, windows 8 does not support most screen resolutions you have on low cost consumer laptops and tablets available today.
Also, windows 8 is not coming free! not even cheap! and it comes with so many bugs! and so much incompatibility with some device drivers! and different versions with several prices! some sites you visit on it may harm your computer! It may hog your system resources like vista! you may have to run some programs in compatibility mode! and so on,
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 17, 2011
^^^^I don't get you right and, you are still begging the question while trying to defend what most people know.

You don't get Windows 8 spec right. If primarily it supported higher resolutions doesn't mean it can't work on low resolutions.  For your information its hardware requirements are even lower than that of Windows 7. By September there will be more broader information releases about it. Mind you over one billion people are using Windows world wide so, don't make it look as if it is minuscule or irrelevant.

When I mean soon, I mean in the near future - that it will be the next Windows version to be released. It is going to be compatible even with mobile hardware and applications. It is still on the development stage which will give it a final time to make it more broader in compatibility than you are assuming it not to be. I was told it will work very well on tablets.

I am not in objection of using Linux, I personally like using the two of them. One being Open Source doesn't negate the fact that the other is not a giant in the industry. Windows have advantages and disadvantages so have different Linux  versions.

And, there are some Linux  products that come with cost too!
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by lojik(m): 12:33am On Jul 18, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8
The new interface is primarily designed for 16:9 screen resolution, with 1366×768 and larger screens able to display two Windows 8 applications using "Snap". 1024×768 screens can display one Windows 8 application in full-screen, and 1024×600 screens can only use the traditional Windows desktop

"Most" available windows based tablets today(and mine) have 1024×600 maximum display resolutions. They will not display the finger friendly windows 8 interface which would have been its primary appeal to the tablet world.

I am not anti-windows. I am just pro-linux. Windows is dominant but you still cant deny the vulnerabilities, issues and costs that come with it. To the man who uses pirated software, windows is cheap. To those who pay for every release of every software per pc (or multiple licenses), na money be dat.

I am not saying that windows is bad or not functional, i have only highlighted some of its endless problems as a reason why i use linux as a worthy alternative.

When you say soon, microsoft has scheduled the first editions of windows 8 to be released in 2012(see http://blogs.computerworld.com/18341/microsoft_windows_8_release_date_2012_demo_next_week)

Windows 7 is very unpleasant when used on tablet pcs. If you disagree, try buying a windows 7 on capacitive screen tablet and see for yourself.

Indeed, windows 7 is not designed with tablets in mind. It was designed for older breed of PCs (desktop and laptop).
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by surveycash(m): 1:05am On Jul 19, 2011
lojik:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8
The new interface is primarily designed for 16:9 screen resolution, with 1366×768 and larger screens able to display two Windows 8 applications using "Snap". 1024×768 screens can display one Windows 8 application in full-screen, and 1024×600 screens can only use the traditional Windows desktop

"Most" available windows based tablets today(and mine) have 1024×600 maximum display resolutions. They will not display the finger friendly windows 8 interface which would have been its primary appeal to the tablet world.

I am not anti-windows. I am just pro-linux. Windows is dominant but you still cant deny the vulnerabilities, issues and costs that come with it. To the man who uses pirated software, windows is cheap. To those who pay for every release of every software per pc (or multiple licenses), na money be dat.

I am not saying that windows is bad or not functional, i have only highlighted some of its endless problems as a reason why i use linux as a worthy alternative.

When you say soon, microsoft has scheduled the first editions of windows 8 to be released in 2012(see http://blogs.computerworld.com/18341/microsoft_windows_8_release_date_2012_demo_next_week)

Windows 7 is very unpleasant when used on tablet pcs. If you disagree, try buying a windows 7 on capacitive screen tablet and see for yourself.

Indeed, windows 7 is not designed with tablets in mind. It was designed for older breed of PCs (desktop and laptop).

lojik I was directed to meet you by Slyr0x for my Joomla questions. Where do you want me to post them? Thank you.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by lojik(m): 1:39am On Jul 19, 2011
@surveycash
info [at] lekeojikutu [dot] com
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by mxxpunkxx: 10:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
@lojik

when u're addicted 2 sumfin, it's so hard to let go, Windows vs Linux, is analogical to Blackberry vs Nokia

u get the point? Linux is more server-side interesting than Windows; but Windows is more user-friendly.

Its not easy grasping the "sudo apt install" "sudo get install" b/shit, believe me, not everyone is tech-savvy as you reckon.

Besides, Linux has their own brand of virus and trojans. Dont even argue, cos i write viruses, if u want a test on your Linux pc, u got it coming!

My friend uses win7 on his tablet pc, runs like a v8, no glitch, so could u retract your statement.

I dont wanna call you a fanatic. so let me say u're just being BIASED.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Fayimora(m): 11:00pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lmao, hmmm Easy does it! Windows more user-friendly? Hmmm anyways depends on whoever is using it. I have a windows system as well as a mac and linux but trust me, I wud rather not use a system than use the damn annoying windows. Windows is only gonna be good when they learn to think! and not modify what already in stock. I doubt if @lojik is biased.

As a developer, I dont think you should be running away from Linux. It has 1000X things to offer than `windows`. Forget about server side. You cant tell me that everything you do is server side. How about speed cheesy

Windows 8, windows 8!!! OK wats in windows 8? The iphone interface?? lmaooo
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by mxxpunkxx: 12:51am On Jul 30, 2011
@fayimora

Hhhmm, and that's where we all make mistakes. We are all programmers in here and stop looking at it from the programmer's side of it.

Look at it from the layman's viewpoint: It's Windows all the way.

I agree, Linux is good for coding, but its not "perfecter."
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 30, 2011
^
I agree. From a layman's point of view, it is Windows all the way.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Fayimora(m): 2:14am On Jul 30, 2011
[size=17pt]Well i still hold ma grounds. Windows still has its popularity because thats we started with. Trust me if mac was cheaper I doubt windows would still have a place. [/size]
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Beaf: 6:18am On Jul 30, 2011
Outside of servers, Linux has little place in a programmers life. In the home, its 100% Windows.
Even corporate networks run Windows; indirectly due to the MS Office suite requiring a Windows environment, nobody will runn a Linux enviroment and install Office for users with a cut and nail arrangement. Linux is mainly for PHP servers.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by mxxpunkxx: 1:16am On Jul 31, 2011
Beaf:

Outside of servers, Linux has little place in a programmers life. In the home, its 100% Windows.
Even corporate networks run Windows; indirectly due to the MS Office suite requiring a Windows environment, nobody will runn a Linux enviroment and install Office for users with a cut and nail arrangement. Linux is mainly for PHP servers.

Right on point, lol.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by iGravity(m): 11:25am On Aug 03, 2011
Basically if you want to be totally naive about how a computer works and you're just concerned with what it does, the point-and-click Windows is your choice. Linux on the other hand "allows" you configure it to your heart's content. Now "allow" is in quotes because most Windows users mistake this for "must use terminal to do everything in Linux - even watching Blackberry Babes", no.

I saw a reply about the Apt-Get framework and how people should not be confronted to conform to this command-line interface. Uhm, that is why there is the Synaptic Package Manager you can use to accomplish the same thing.

When you get into core web development - and I don't mean the shallow HTML, CSS and Javascript - server scripting sturves such as Node.js, Rails, RaphaelJS (which is a graphical JS library but has rendering qualms with windows), DJango and all other etcheterams (ecetera), you will find that Windows is a pain to work with. DLLs make your life miserable - and easily hackable too. You will have to end up installing unnecessary helper software to run a Hello World script.

There is a Unix based OS that mimics Windows. It's called ReactOS. I honestly think the author of that os was cajoling Gates. Check it out for your entertainment.

Windows spends time making their UI better not knowing that they are subconsciously reducing the number of elite programmers in the framework compared to other OSes such as Unix, Linux and Solaris.

Getting the job done = Unix/Linux
Pretty = Windows (even dat one sef dem no too strong cos eva since broda Macbook went Pro, church bin close for Windows).
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 03, 2011
iGravity:

Basically if you want to be totally naive about how a computer works and you're just concerned with what it does, the point-and-click Windows is your choice. Linux on the other hand "allows" you configure it to your heart's content. Now "allow" is in quotes because most Windows users mistake this for "must use terminal to do everything in Linux - even watching Blackberry Babes", no.

I saw a reply about the Apt-Get framework and how people should not be confronted to conform to this command-line interface. Uhm, that is why there is the Synaptic Package Manager you can use to accomplish the same thing.

When you get into core web development - and I don't mean the shallow HTML, CSS and Javascript - server scripting sturves such as Node.js, Rails, RaphaelJS (which is a graphical JS library but has rendering qualms with windows), DJango and all other etcheterams (ecetera), you will find that Windows is a pain to work with. DLLs make your life miserable - and easily hackable too. You will have to end up installing unnecessary helper software to run a Hello World script.

There is a Unix based OS that mimics Windows. It's called ReactOS. I honestly think the author of that os was cajoling Gates. Check it out for your entertainment.

Windows spends time making their UI better not knowing that they are subconsciously reducing the number of elite programmers in the framework compared to other OSes such as Unix, Linux and Solaris.

Getting the job done = Unix/Linux
Pretty = Windows (even dat one sef dem no too strong cos eva since broda Macbook went Pro, church bin close for Windows).

Lol, on that last sentence. I wish you can't account for those over one billion users of Windows. Anyway, Windows is still the layman best Operating System even at the presence of Mac OS.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Fayimora(m): 5:21pm On Aug 03, 2011
[size=15pt]Yope. Pretty = Mac OS[/size]
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by iGravity(m): 9:40pm On Aug 03, 2011
all4naija:

Lol, on that last sentence. I wish you can't account for those over one billion users of Windows. Anyway, Windows is still the layman best Operating System even at the presence of Mac OS.

Layman, yes. Bible talk am sey "must we sin because grace abounds?" - Me con yan my oen sey "must one be a layman because Windows exists?"

If all man chose to be lay - as in d kain lay wen no sabi anytin, d kain lay wen na only floor pesin dey decide chill everyday - sure Windows will rock and rule; but we will all be dead!
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by iGravity(m): 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2011
Fayimora:

[size=15pt]Yope. Pretty = Mac OS[/size]

[size=20pt]Confirm! Utunu[/size]
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by okechukwudiei(m): 1:48am On Aug 04, 2011
Linux or Windows? Well Linux is a UNIX derivative that was inspired by the GNU Project of the Free Software Foundation which wantd 2 develop an open source/free UNIX based kernel. Unix/Linux dominates to corporate market being found on most servers, mainframes, & supercomputers. Windows on the other hand dominates d consumer market because of its user friendly interface. Linux is difficult only if u want 2 limit urslf intellectualy. Its major advantage is dat its stable, bug free, & powerful. Windows is pretty to luk at bt lacks d depth to attract system admins bt on d other hand bank executives luv windows. Windows is EXPENSIVE, and u dnt even own d software u pay for; u cnt copy it or modify d source code unless u'd like to spnd 20yrs in prison. Wit linux, u own wat u get n u cn tweak d code. My advice, linux=pro, windows=amateur.or; u cnt copy it or modify d source code unless u'd like to spnd 20yrs in prison. Wit linux, u own wat u get n u cn tweak d code. My advice, linux=pro, windows=amateur.
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Beaf: 11:22am On Nov 29, 2011
okechukwu.diei:

Linux or Windows? Well Linux is a UNIX derivative that was inspired by the GNU Project of the Free Software Foundation which wantd 2 develop an open source/free UNIX based kernel. Unix/Linux dominates to corporate market being found on most servers, mainframes, & supercomputers. Windows on the other hand dominates d consumer market because of its user friendly interface. Linux is difficult only if u want 2 limit urslf intellectualy. Its major advantage is dat its stable, bug free, & powerful. Windows is pretty to luk at bt lacks d depth to attract system admins bt on d other hand bank executives luv windows. Windows is EXPENSIVE, and u dnt even own d software u pay for; u cnt copy it or modify d source code unless u'd like to spnd 20yrs in prison. Wit linux, u own wat u get n u cn tweak d code. My advice, linux=pro, windows=amateur.or; u cnt copy it or modify d source code unless u'd like to spnd 20yrs in prison. Wit linux, u own wat u get n u cn tweak d code. My advice, linux=pro, windows=amateur.

You are confusing issues. How can you make bank executives love Windows? Based on what? The banking World loves C# (which runs on Windows), because of its superior floating point math capabilities as compared to Java and the financial World runs on decimal points to fine accuracies. But we are not comparing languages, we are comparing OS's.

Calling Windows amateur and Linux professional is the height of sacriledge, especially when practically all Linux companies are paying Microsoft. The latest victim being Casio. Don't you wonder how your "pro" system is using stuff invented by Microsoft for what you call an amateur system?

No operating system is amateur between Android, Apple, Linux, Windows and the various other Unix variants.

Casio Pays Microsoft for Using Linux

Microsoft has signed a patent licensing agreement with Casio over the use of Linux.

Microsoft with its patent program is trying to persuade companies that ship devices with Linux to pay avoiding possible litigation by Microsoft. Casio joins the long of list of Linux customers such as Fuji Xerox, Samsung and Melco/Buffalo, etc. who pay Linux patent royalties for Microsoft.

Although both of the companies did not declare the financial aspects of the agreement, Casio has acknowledged that it is paying Microsoft for using Linux, Microsoft, on the other hand, said that Casio uses Microsoft software for some of its products too.

“We’re pleased to reach an agreement and to see continued recognition of the value of our patent portfolio, particularly as it relates to operating systems,” said Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel of Intellectual Property Group at Microsoft.

Mark Raby on TGDaily stated that "Although Microsoft does not own Linux, it has argued that Linux products are in violation of its patents. As such, anyone looking to incorporate Linux into their company is essentially forced to sign licensing arrangements with the software giant."

"It looks like Microsoft is about to rake in a lot of money from [companies using Linux]" he added.

http://jordanopensource.org/freeplanet/article/casio-pays-microsoft-using-linux

Even Android vendors are paying Microsoft:

Yet another Android vendor pays Microsoft patent royalties

By Mary Jo Foley | June 29, 2011, 7:10am PDT

Summary: Just days after announcing that General Dynamics was paying Microsoft undisclosed patent royalties to cover Android-based devices, Microsoft announced a similar deal with custom-PC vendor Velocity Micro Inc.

Microsoft announced its second Android patent-protection deal this week on June 29.

Just days after announcing that General Dynamics was paying Microsoft undisclosed patent royalties to cover Android-based ruggedized devices it was selling, Microsoft announced a similar deal with Velocity Micro Inc.

Microsoft and Velocity “have signed a patent agreement that provides broad coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio for Velocity Micro Inc. Android-based devices, including Velocity Micro, Inc.’s Cruz Tablet,” according to Microsoft’s press release. As in the case with General Dynamics, terms are not being made public, other than the fact that Microsoft will received some undisclosed royalties.

Velocity Micro, based in Richmond, Virg., is an OEM that provides companies with custom-designed and -built gaming system, PCs, notebooks, workstations, servers and small-business systems. While its Cruz tablet runs Android, its notebooks run Windows 7.

Microsoft has been targeting vendors running Google’s Linux-based Android operating system and is working to convince them to pay royalties to Microsoft to cover alleged patent-infringement issues involving Android. HTC signed a patent-protection deal with Microsoft for an undisclosed amount last year that focused on Android.

Not all Android vendors are signing on the IP (intellectual property) dotted line, however. Barnes & Noble is in a legal fight with Microsoft over Microsoft’s claim from earlier this year that the Android-based Nook e-reader violates Microsoft patents.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/yet-another-android-vendor-pays-microsoft-patent-royalties/9859?tag=mantle_skin;content
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by purplekayc(m): 11:25am On Nov 29, 2011
if you are interested in security you will like it  and it never freezes unlike windows
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by Ayowumie(m): 11:44am On Nov 29, 2011
I hate that damn thing called Ubuntu, it is not even user friendly. What do i use computer for other than the basics (read and send email, update website contents, develop on line data base etc). I would rather i dont do anything than go for a round of difficulty test-running Ubuntu.

Windows all the way jare

iGravity:

Basically if you want to be totally naive about how a computer works and[b] you're just concerned with what it does, the point-and-click Windows is your choice[/b]. Linux on the other hand "allows" you configure it to your heart's content. Now "allow" is in quotes because most Windows users
Am not a programmer, am only interested in the bolded
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 1:47pm On Nov 29, 2011
Windows all the way
Re: How Relevant Is Linux by blackrules1(m): 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2011
Server without Linux running on it is no server.

PERIOD!

(1) (2) (Reply)

✈✳✅ SOLD ❌❌❌ silver Colored Dell Inspiron 5447 /ram-8gb / 1tb Hdd Keyboard Light / What Is The Difference Between A VPN And A Proxy Server / Pls How Do I Use My Nokia E63 As A Modern For My Desktop Cmp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.