Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? (1735 Views)

Please Help! My Dell Inspiron 3251 Laptop(win8 )cannot Connect The Windows Store / How Relevant Is Linux / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Bawss1(m): 9:39pm On Nov 04, 2007
Its seems everyone has got a problem or the other with Microsofts vista these days(Vista is relatively new and with most new products it has some design flaws). You'd think it was the worst thing to hit computers. This leads me to ask if is such problems are just confined to vista. Is there nothing in Linux that makes you want to scream, or are people just downplaying its flaws so that it doesn't look bad?
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by hayprof(m): 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2007
Every OS has it's Own Flaws,

With LinuX -It's not much of a Problem [Only if u do it rite with the Use of Comands]

But on Windows we get complaints Everyday, and e.t.c
wink
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Seun(m): 8:56am On Nov 05, 2007
Linux is relatively problem free if you're using it to run a server. It's reliable and consistent.
For simple tasks like word processing, software development, and data processing, it's perfect.

But for gaming and support for all the features the latest hardware, Windows is far superior.
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by socrates08: 9:07am On Nov 05, 2007
Humans are not perfect so what we make is the same. Still puts windows to shame.

Most PC problems are caused by the user. There is no need at all for vista at this time. More mem, eye candy and dx10 is what I recall. dx10 hack for xp is out or will be soon. I just wish they would fix XP! But its MS and instead of fixing xp they release a new OS and charge us double the xp price. Then they say "vista only has half as many problems as xp when first released" and "took 10,000 people 5 yrs to create vista".  I don't see how thats even close to a 100,000,000 hr product. Sound good and some will take the bait.

Linux has a steeper learning curve than windows. Uses less resources and very stable. Not hard, just everything is new and unfamiliar. Network setup can be a pain depending on distro. The com line is where many shy away. Learning the basic commands is not that bad. Kinda reminds me os dos x C+ on the juice. File structure takes some getting used to. Biggest drawback is driver, or lack of any. If PC was made in the last yr don't waste you time. Older HW, 2 yrs+, will usually be supported. Check the list of supported hardware. Linux is not for gaming. Great for servers. Boot from CD, no HD and runs fine.

Just DL a Bootable img to play with without removing xp(I assume). Create a multi boot options drive to run both from same drive. Understand this and know how? PClinux is good for 1st timers. UBUNTU is also good.

DL here. If a gamer get supergamer otherwise get big daddy.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pclinuxos

pclinux video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bTpkp_ZEQ5Y

How to guides for linux
http://www.howtoforge.com/image/tid/42

Best OS I've used this year is by far the MAC! Like Linux the lack of HW support is an issue.
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Ralvy(m): 12:58pm On Nov 05, 2007
Seun:

Linux is relatively problem free if you're using it to run a server. It's reliable and consistent.
For simple tasks like word processing, software development, and data processing, it's perfect.

But for gaming and support for all the features the latest hardware, Windows is far superior.

U said it all mayne. . .
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2007
yeah windows is not all that bad , infact windows is superior to linux, especially when it comes to spywares,trogans and the likes, also the design on the kernel is so cool that it doesnt just crash on u, it allows u to click ok , and u don't have to bother about , instability and slow downs, and drm, , they come bundled with the os , including a special fixture called The blue screen of death, and if u use vista , then u have the luxury of having 90% of your system resources been used up by the system,
the guys that designed the gui felt that it was soo cool that u did not need to customize it to your taste, so the gui is not customizable, but if u insist on customization then prepare to shell out cash to buy third party programs like windows blind, which in addition to adding style to your system would also enhence the slowness,
yeah its a windows world, and windows rock
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Tini(m): 3:56pm On Nov 08, 2007
bigrovar:

yeah windows is not all that bad , infact windows is superior to linux, especially when it comes to spywares,trogans and the likes, also the design on the kernel is so cool that it doesnt just crash on u, it allows u to click ok , and u don't have to bother about , instability and slow downs, and drm, , they come bundled with the os , including a special fixture called The blue screen of death, and if u use vista , then u have the luxury of having 90% of your system resources been used up by the system,
the guys that designed the gui felt that it was soo cool that u did not need to customize it to your taste, so the gui is not customizable, but if u insist on customization then prepare to shell out cash to buy third party programs like windows blind, which in addition to adding style to your system would also enhence the slowness,
wat are u talkin about.does it make sense
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Neptune(m): 11:06pm On Nov 08, 2007
what are u talkin about.does it make sense

Ironically.

But the fact always remains that linux works for different ppl in different ways. I dont use it often because most of the things i need, linux does'nt have. I use linux sometimes and it just crashes or the screen freezes. Windows is vulnerable. Thats no news. We've been dealing with that for years.

plus

Understanding linux for newbies can be a little stressful. Thats another reason why their are a few of linux guys round.
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Hayorbahmy(m): 9:01pm On Nov 09, 2007
This debate about Linux and windows has always been and would probably be forever.
on a scale of ten putting them, side by side( I stand to be corrected tho) I think this is their scores.

Condition                                                                   Linux                                                         Windows

Reliability                                                                      9                                                                  6
Longetivity                                                                    8                                                                   4
Graphics                                                                      5(ubuntu xcluded)                                         7
Flexibility                                                                      8                                                                    5
User friendliness                                                          5                                                                    8
                                                                                   ___                                                                ___
Total                                                                            35                                                                  30

So it's pretty obvious who is better let's stop judging based on just one criteria let's look inward
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by texazzpete(m): 3:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
@Hayorbahmy
your list is critically flawed if it ranks Grphics on the same scale as user-friendliness

@Poster
I do not use linux much. I actually have Ubuntu GUtsy Gibbon installed on my ps3, but that's just as a curio. Linux is developed as a free, open-source alternative to the commercial OSes out there (Windows, mac). But that's what it is. a personal alternative.
What makes people like me (and millions others) dislike linux is the attitude taken by linux fanboys and zealots that they are the elite of the computing world. They trot out absurd assertions about the reliability and stability of Windows PCs. What they won't tell you is how really stable post-SP2 Windows Xp has been, and is how well Vista runs if you have a system that meets the recommended specs.
Some criticisms of Vista (i.e not compatible with all existing software) are pretty absurd. In fact, stuff like this has constantly held back OS makers from innovating significantly and moving away from pre-existing notions. i mean, God forbid that any OS maker releases a version that doesn't work well with Corel draw 11 or Studio max 7. One guy even trashed Vista because his graphics apps that ran well on Xp didn't run on vista.

I use windows XP on my laptop, and i don't have random crashes and blue screens. Linux users will babble on about how their machines can run for years without being reset. I dunno about you, but i prefer to restart once or twice a week than to spend days tweaking drivers and command lines just to get a TV card to work, or to spend hours in a forum asking for how to patch ATI drivers to work well in my Linux install.

Bottom line? Linux is a great OS, but i wish it's adherents cease bashing all other alternatives. see Bigrovar's post above for an example. Not even Linus Thorvalds trash talks others commercial OSes out there.
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Ralvy(m): 3:43pm On Nov 10, 2007
Tini:

what are u talkin about.does it make sense

Why don't u make the sense? angry

bigrovar:

Well said bigbrovar grin cool
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Hayorbahmy(m): 4:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
@texazzpete
It's Linus Torvalds and not Thorvalds
But the fact still remains that windows has issues, Linux has issues but weighing which is which gives a clearer picture and If u read carefully I told u I stood to be corrected.
Whatever
I am a Linux user,programmer and an enthusiasist I dont care what u say or do
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 6:47pm On Nov 10, 2007
texazzpete:

@Hayorbahmy
your list is critically flawed if it ranks Grphics on the same scale as user-friendliness

@Poster
I do not use linux much. I actually have Ubuntu GUtsy Gibbon installed on my ps3, but that's just as a curio. Linux is developed as a free, open-source alternative to the commercial OSes out there (Windows, mac). But that's what it is. a personal alternative.
What makes people like me (and millions others) dislike linux is the attitude taken by linux fanboys and zealots that they are the elite of the computing world. They trot out absurd assertions about the reliability and stability of Windows PCs. What they won't tell you is how really stable post-SP2 Windows Xp has been, and is how well Vista runs if you have a system that meets the recommended specs.
Some criticisms of Vista (i.e not compatible with all existing software) are pretty absurd. In fact, stuff like this has constantly held back OS makers from innovating significantly and moving away from pre-existing notions. i mean, God forbid that any OS maker releases a version that doesn't work well with Corel draw 11 or Studio max 7. One guy even trashed Vista because his graphics apps that ran well on Xp didn't run on vista.

I use windows XP on my laptop, and i don't have random crashes and blue screens. Linux users will babble on about how their machines can run for years without being reset. I don't know about you, but i prefer to restart once or twice a week than to spend days tweaking drivers and command lines just to get a TV card to work, or to spend hours in a forum asking for how to patch ATI drivers to work well in my Linux install.

Bottom line? Linux is a great OS, but i wish it's adherents cease bashing all other alternatives. see Bigrovar's post above for an example. Not even Linus Thorvalds trash talks others commercial OSes out there.

Hahaha mehn u remind me of when i was like u,   https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=45022.msg1206031#msg1206031  , thank God i know better,  let me just make some points clear, yeah call me a zealot And a fan boy i agree ,  at lease its better than being a mungu that has to shell out Thousands of dollars just to make my computer experience reseanable. oh , sorry u don't buy anything windows right ? ,  but why should u u can always cracked them from illegal site , and thanks to Nigeria a country where illegality go largely unpunished, u go home feeling good with your self , maybe if u had to buy vista for $500, antivirus program for $300 with excluding subscription, MS office for $300 ,also add idm,nero,coredraw and other cool windows apps to your list then u just might have a rethink about windows.  u just said sumtin about ati ? ,  right , yeah they are all part of the evil empire that is windows,  their refusal to make a good driver for linux is the cus of all the problem the community is having with it, and do u know why they havent? , well its becus linux is bad for bizness this is an os that is free and open source where people work day and night to make free programs that performs better than the expensive bloats u have on windows , so the Good bizness minded people in ati don't want to have anything to do with such people, they rather support windows that make os that would be so high hardware dependant that any body dreaming of using them would have to buy a brand new systems which would ensure more money for ati, i use intel card and it works perfectly well with linux and i have never had any need to have to use command line , everything is as easy as point and click, linux is not perfect, but there is a way around every problem ,  am not a guru neither have i been to a computer school before i just started linux some 3 months ago i have leant enof to make me stand on my two feet infact i have not gone back to windows in 2 months know, everthing i need i do with linux, and i have a stable system no whahala , 
what makes me a linux zealots is not bcus the os is perfect ,  its bcus it an os that believes in the idea of open source, where softeware developers are driven by passion and not money, an os that rate helping others over profit,  where the motto is humnity to others ,  an not lock downs and drms ,  i feel free using linux ,  i own my operating system, so i don't just have a right of use, i have met people so committed to the cause of open source that there sell the personal effect just to support a personal project , linux is backed by a community of millions of people willing to help out  on issues, linux is free ,  u can even request for ubuntu and it would be delivered to your door step free of charge ,  i a proud community member and some other linux zealots in Nigeria have setup a projects called www.ubuntunigeria. where we give out free ubuntu cds and help new users with support and installation free of charge ,  i can't count how many people i have installed linux for,  i have spent thousands of naira buying empty cds,paying for downloads , shipping cds to people in need,  i even lost my phone whiile installing linux for a lady that insisted on having it on her system that is the free giving spirit i have gotten from linux,  so u see linux is not just an os ,  its a philosophy,  and a movement,  its a voice and a statement against expoitation,  and for all this am proud to be a Zealots,
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Hayorbahmy(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2007
Nice one bigrovar,
Good riddance to bad rubbish
I think wot has to be done is to male all these windows freaks buy the original softwares for their PCs then they would know the worth of open source
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by texazzpete(m): 1:59pm On Nov 11, 2007
@Hayorbahmy, bigbrovar

You two are a sad example of how the 419 culture has destoyed Nigerians. Not everyone around you has your latent ability to defraud. I work for a living and i'm easily able to afford genuine versions of Windows OS. I use a VAIO laptop, and it came pre-installed with Windows Xp with the SP2 built in. All my friends and colleagues have similar setups. So it's extremely offensive, not to mention stupid to assume stuff like that.
I run Avira's AntiVir, a FREE antivirus and it works well for me, so don't go blabbing what you do not know. No one needs programs like Corel Draw to make their 'computing experience reasonable'. these are extras that go with the job. Also, freeware Windows programs exist.

There's nothing EVIL about developers developing for money. many do it for passion AND money, and they are not mutually exclusive. Money makes the world go round, and people expect to get paid for their efforts. It's as simple as that. Go ask your precious Mark Shuttleworth how he made his money, if not from a capitalist system.

Linux remains a viable alternative to Windows, and the fact that it's free is a great alternative. But calling people 'mugus' because they recognise the advantages Windows has over linux (in their own opinions) is not only silly, but extremely immature. As i said before, not even Linux's inventor (Linus Torvalds) goes into bashfest mode the way you guys do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
Unlike many open source icons, Torvalds maintains a low profile and generally refuses to comment on competing software products. Torvalds generally stays out of non-kernel-related debates. Although Torvalds believes that "open source is the only right way to do software", he also has said that he uses the "best tool for the job", even if that includes proprietary software.[9

I use Windows Xp, and as far as i'm currently concerned it does the job for me. It also allows me do something i cannot replicate on Linux: Play modern 3d games. Until when you guys can succeed in properly emulating Direct X 9 and allow me play Call of Duty 4 and gears of war on ubuntu, for me it remains a no-go area.

That doesn't mean i hate linux or open source OS. I've had extensive experience with using PHP and MySQl on Unix servers. in fact, in my stint as a web designer i never touched windows servers and i couldn't be arsed with asp.
As i said before, i installed Ubuntu on my Ps3 for study purposes. But it does take some considerable work to get many things working properly in linux, so on that count i'm rather comfortable with windows.

Microsoft and Apple are companies that try to make a profit for themselves and their shareholders. To do this they sell their proprietary OS for money. I do not consider that to be exploitation. Why would i? You cannot get windows anywhere else for less, if you could, that would have been exploitation. You can get a very different alternative for free, but that doesn't mean exploitation. the fact that i can borrow Tupac CDs from a friend and rip them to my iPod for free doesn't mean that iTunes music store is exploiting me when it offers me Tupac songs to download at 99 cents.

You might want to think, to ask yourself why it took exposure to a community of generous people before your own generousity was unlocked. Go find out how much Bill Gates (the person you zealots bash the most) has given to charity. Find out how many billions he's spent in the research for cures to numerous deadly diseases, not least of all the newly resurgent and drug resistant tuberculosis.

Every so often, linux users on different linux forums blithely urge me to leave windows Xp and move to linux. they urge me to emulate windows in VMware if i really need the windows experience. Now i wonder, the Windows Xp that many of you guys emulate in VMware, is it legally purchased? Because, if it is it's also costing you money like the rest of the windows 'freaks'. if it isn't then where's the moral high ground to condemn people that buy pirated windows OS in alaba? grin

Bottom Line?
There are valid reasons why i cannot make a full switch to linux at this point in time. Millions of people around the world find windows to be adequate for their needs and are quite willing to part with the money to purchase it. If you've gotten an alternative, good for you. but leave windows users alone.
Windows users spend some time fixing security issues, rebooting and contending with the odd crash. linux users spend een more time chasing down dependencies and running command line code to get things to work the way they want. Bottom line is not one of these OS (including Mac) is perfect. use what you can afford.

@All
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2007
texasspete,

this is offtopic, but,
rest assured, there are several nigerians working for a living that cannot afford genuine versions of windows. no be everybody wey fit work for 'oyel company'.

as to using pirated windows being an example of how 419 culture has destroyed Nigerians- Pulleeze! People all over the world use pirated software! on the warez forums i frequent, i see posts from people of ALL nationalities! was it 419 oriented nigerians that invented software cracking?

you've admited to stealing music( which is what ripping a tupac CD you didn't buy is)
Can you state with all honesty, that you have never used pirated software? at least before these halycon days as 'a nigerian working for a living'?)
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by texazzpete(m): 9:25pm On Nov 11, 2007
oyb:

texasspete,

this is offtopic, but,
rest assured, there are several nigerians working for a living that cannot afford genuine versions of windows. no be everybody wey fit work for 'oyel company'.

as to using pirated windows being an example of how 419 culture has destroyed Nigerians- Pulleeze! People all over the world use pirated software! on the warez forums i frequent, i see posts from people of ALL nationalities! was it 419 oriented nigerians that invented software cracking?

you've admited to stealing music( which is what ripping a tupac CD you didn't buy is)
Can you state with all honesty, that you have never used pirated software? at least before these halycon days as 'a nigerian working for a living'?)

Oyb,
I have tremendous respect for you, so i'll try and be as inoffensive as possible.
The '419 culture bit' was not meant to refer to purveyors of pirated products as 419s. It refers to the automatic assumption by bigbrovar and Hayorbahmy that just because i'm a Nigerian i must be using pirated windows puchased from otigba. It's the mutual distrust and suspicion of all other Nigerians i refer to. There's no reason why anyone should automatically state with certainty that i'm running a pirated version of Windows.
Most workers that buy laptops (even cheap celerons) have licensed versions of XP or Vista in them, so this assumption is pretty tragic.
It's pretty amusing that you took my Tupac CD analogy literally. the last CD i ripped was legally bought by ME!

I've done my fair share of music downloads. i've even run pirated windows XP a long time ago on my first PC (in 2001/02). I can freely admit this. what i take exception to is the attitude taken by Linux fanboys. My good friend chxta has NEVER bought or paid for anything from Microsoft in his life, he's installed pirated versions of Windows 95 - Xp for loads of people, yet he feels no shame putting a dollar sign in Microsoft (i.e Micro$oft) or calling Bill Gates 'the leader of mammon'. I find this kind of attitude hypocritical.
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by texazzpete(m): 9:28pm On Nov 11, 2007
At this stage, Linux users should ask themselves what exactly they plan to achieve. i get people telling me Linux can run well on Pentium IIs and older machines.
Guess what? I dont HAVE a pentium II and i don't need one either.

They say Linux is stable, doesn't crash and no need for reboots after installations.
My Windows PC (post SP2) rarely crashes or become unstable, only ONE BSOD in 18 months and i really do not mind restarting after installation. After all, restarting's a whole lot more passive than typing commands such as 'make' during the installation process of many Linux apps.

They say you can run many Windows programs in Linux, including games. My good friend Chxta even whips out a screenshot of him running Football Manager 2007 on ubuntu using WINE. He falls silent when i ask him to emulate Quake Wars. . .

They say linux has great ease of use. My cousin can easily run ZSNES (a super Nintendo emulator) on his desktop cos it comes with an easy-to-use GUI. The Linux version of ZSNES runs from command line, and has no GUI to speak of until you spend quality time seeking it out, downloading it and running some crappy commands to configure GUI.

So why upgrade? I'll be buying Laptops from here on as my Job and lifestyle demands mobility. My systems will always be powerful and cutting edge so they'll run Windows flawlessly. The extra horsepower the linux geeks claim i'll save from running Ubuntu or some other 'non bloatware OS' will never be used by any demanding game or 3D app, so why bother?

1 Like

Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 12:49pm On Nov 12, 2007
mahn y are u so paranoid , i never accused u of using a pirated windows , i just asked if u buy anything windows or u download them from illegal site, and instead of giving a straight answer u just went on about how 419 culture don kill nigerians finish, well i let that pass ,
Not everyone around you has your latent ability to defraud.
man i don't defraud, who his dissing now ?

I work for a living and i'm easily able to afford genuine versions of Windows OS. I use a VAIO laptop, and it came pre-installed with Windows Xp with the SP2 built in. All my friends and colleagues have similar setups. So it's extremely offensive, not to mention stupid to assume stuff like that.
mahn thank god for u but how many people in nigeria can afford to pay 22,000 for a an original windows vista,or 10,000 for original win xp , thank God for Otigba, if not for them and computer village , linux would be King in this country,

the point u miss is that piracy is the number one factor that sustains windows in many developing countries in the world, it shields people from the real cost of using windows, even those that have the money don't have the means of payment , so u get an os for say 22,000 (i.e vista) then u discover that u still have to buy an office program for $200 (office 2007) that is like fifteen thousand naira ,ok since there are free AV programs u are lucky, but when it comes to buring cds u are not so lucky u have to pay about 14,000 naira for a program like nero ,ok let me stop at that , but do the maths 22,000 +15,000+14,000 = 5,1000 , that is is the price of a good deskop , so tell me how many Nigerians can afford that, and what is the sense in making an os that cost 22,000 and does not come with an office program and a burning software , not even an anti virus, when u can get an os for free, that comes with this features and more by default, so if that is not exploitation , then what is,

There's nothing EVIL about developers developing for money. many do it for passion AND money, and they are not mutually exclusive. Money makes the world go round, and people expect to get paid for their efforts. It's as simple as that. Go ask your precious Mark Shuttleworth how he made his money, if not from a capitalist system.

i never said there was anything evil in developers making money for what there do, ijust said that free open source alternative are better than their expensive over bloated windows counterpart, e.g k3b is better than nero, gimp and inkscape work better for me than photoshop and corel draw , so i will be a mungu for paying for sumtin i can get for free, or don't u think ?

Linux remains a viable alternative to Windows, and the fact that it's free is a great alternative. But calling people 'mugus'
i never called any body a mungu , i just said i wasnt a mungu , cus i can't pay for something that i can get for free

because they recognise the advantages Windows has over linux (in their own opinions) is not only silly, but extremely immature. As i said before, not even Linux's inventor (Linus Torvalds) goes into bashfest mode the way you guys do
hey hold it there , recognise the advantages of windows over linux , hhahahahahahah , the people u claim to recognise the advantage of windows over linux many of them have not even tried linux before, or those that did used things like redhat,arch linux,or gentoo , these are distros of linux that even me dey fear, there are linux for gurus , u see linux is very big there are different distros , each to your needs , i prefer ubuntu and i tell u windows has nothing near that, ubuntu floors windows , before i tried ubuntu i spent many times reading about it, even then when i started it took some times geting used to the linux way, that is life u just have to spend some times learning new things, that does not mean that windows is better , it just mean that linux was new to me, many new user feel that the success of their linux depend on how windows like it works for them, but with little time they adjust , my room mate in school , my girl friend, strangers i met in internet cafes have all begged me to install ubuntu on their system, and when i do there make it their default os, many of then are just amazed at how things work so seamlessly, infact very few people have seen ubuntu on my system and have preferred windows to it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
Unlike many open source icons, Torvalds maintains a low profile and generally refuses to comment on competing software products. Torvalds generally stays out of non-kernel-related debates. Although Torvalds believes that "open source is the only right way to do software", he also has said that he uses the "best tool for the job", even if that includes proprietary software.[9
really ? but that is strange cus i once heard him say "I don't actually think that something like Vista will change how people work that much," Torvalds told Computerworld. "I think it, to some degree, has been over-hyped as being something completely new and I don't actually think it is, "One of the things we will probably notice is the hardware requirements for Vista are obviously much higher, and that could end up helping Linux just because people notice that you can run Linux on machines and have it work very well even if that same machine couldn't run Vista at all," he said, "

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;261269498;fp;2;fpid;1
basically i always jump into any linux windows debate cus that it was one of such debate that made me giv linux a try , so who knows i just might bring u too over , hmmm that would be very nice,

I use Windows Xp, and as far as i'm currently concerned it does the job for me. It also allows me do something i cannot replicate on Linux: Play modern 3d games. Until when you guys can succeed in properly emulating Direct X 9 and allow me play Call of Duty 4 and gears of war on ubuntu, for me it remains a no-go area.
hmm u are right about the games bro , we have games to on linux but we can't stand what there have on windows, but WTF , I still have my vista partition, u see that is just another advantage of linux it allows u to dual boot windows wont give u that option doing installation, so thanks to linux i can always use windows and a slave os for gaming, about emulating direct x , i laugh again , we don't need to bro linux uses open gl which does a good job, it is just that many gamers prefer to port their games to direct x cus the market is big, not bcus open gl is inferior if u doubt , check out compiz that shit murders your bloated areo effect( that needs 1gb ram to run) to high heavens and it would work on 256 of ram, and compiz uses open gl ,

i installed Ubuntu on my Ps3 for study purposes. But it does take some considerable work to get many things working properly in linux, so on that count i'm rather comfortable with windows.
to start i never saw ps3 as one of the hardware were ubuntu can be installed, ubuntu is for desptops! there are working on a version compatible for ps3 , if u need a linux for ps3 get yellow dog , if u don't want probs why don't u read about ubuntu how to install on a system dual boot, things are may be hard if u have never used linux before but u can read guides online and it would help u, linux is not windows, so there4 it does not work like windows does not mean its hard or things are hard to setup, no, it just mean that u try to do thing the windows way, try linux with a open mind read guides on line on understanding the basics once u do and u get started u are done, then u can start having fun, look if u give windows to a person that has not seen it before he too would have probl;em getting things going, how to install programs and unistall them how to use control panel might be a problem for him, same with ubuntu its not hard at all , u just have to understnd how things run on it,

Microsoft and Apple are companies that try to make a profit for themselves and their shareholders. To do this they sell their proprietary OS for money. I do not consider that to be exploitation. Why would i? You cannot get windows anywhere else for less, if you could, that would have been exploitation. You can get a very different alternative for free, but that doesn't mean exploitation. the fact that i can borrow Tupac CDs from a friend and rip them to my iPod for free doesn't mean that iTunes music store is exploiting me when it offers me Tupac songs to download at 99 cents.

look vista is exploitative , its just a windows dressing of windows xp , with a better security , that was copied from linux and a gui stolen form apple. but poorly implimented. that is why it is having all the problems, so after the initiall plan for vista failed , bill just called some kid from visual styles to develop a gui, and added security features stolen from the design of unix, spend billion on marketing, arm twisting the computer companies to stop shipping xp, added drm, and whala , u have a new operating system form micro $oft, splited into basic,home,enterperice and ultimate, the smallest cost 22 thousand naira, add the price of an extra one gb of ram plus the little cal we did earlier , then u might just get what i mean,

You might want to think, to ask yourself why it took exposure to a community of generous people before your own generousity was unlocked.
yeah u are right i was a stingy bastard on windows before until ubuntu delivered me and made me generous ,

Go find out how much Bill Gates (the person you zealots bash the most) has given to charity. Find out how many billions he's spent in the research for cures to numerous deadly diseases, not least of all the newly resurgent and drug resistant tuberculosis.
omo that is really loudable, but u want to know why we bash him,
we the guy is always on the nick on linux threaten us with lawsuits about how we stole everything from windows , from the mouse ,to some other things we wont talk about, man do u know how many lectures that man has said shit about linux, omo i wont lie we diss him very much, cus he does the same to us ,

Every so often, linux users on different linux forums blithely urge me to leave windows Xp and move to linux. they urge me to emulate windows in VMware if i really need the windows experience. Now i wonder, the Windows Xp that many of you guys emulate in VMware, is it legally purchased? Because, if it is it's also costing you money like the rest of the windows 'freaks'. if it isn't then where's the moral high ground to condemn people that buy pirated windows OS in alaba? Grin
just like u we use the installation disks that came with our windows lappy for virtualisation , and i only use my virtualised windows for show off, i am completely independent of windows,

Bottom Line?
There are valid reasons why i cannot make a full switch to linux at this point in time.
man bring your lappy let me install and love-vendor ubuntu for u, them no go force u, before u switch, come i have used windows i know everything there is to know in windows, abi no be windows? wetin u wan tell me about am, but there are a million things i can show u on linux, that would leave u WOW!, give it a try mahn , not on a ps3 o , on a real desktop , like that your sony vaio lappy hmm that would be yummy,

time. Millions of people around the world find windows to be adequate for their needs and are quite willing to part with the money to purchase it.
wrong many people don't part their money to buy windows, it always comes preinstalled with their laptop and systems, so there don't really have a choice, many havnt even heard of linux cus we don't do advert , linux does not believe in making advert, there prefer to spend the money on making the linux kernel work better, so as a result many people don't know about linux, and the few that do still have the wrong notion that linux is for only gurus, and that it has no gui, but a friends mum runs linux,a truck driver in kenya runs it,i run it, my girl friends uses it, a friends who is more of a club boi than a geek uses it, all becus some one told them about it, the first time i heard ubuntu i tot it they were a computer maker, until someone told me about it on Nairaland, so u see many people use windows cus there don't know that they have an alternative, not bcus the feel
windows is best,

you've gotten an alternative, good for you. but leave windows users alone.
i don't use it mahn, i don't need it, but i have to bring more people to the light and to do this i have to make them realise that there is something better than windows

Windows users spend some time fixing security issues, rebooting and contending with the odd crash. linux users spend een more time chasing down dependencies and running command line code to get things to work the way they want.
wrong again, not about the windows, about the linux, there is a prgram called synaptic that would install all your program and its dependencies while u sip a cup of tea, i even heard there want to bring something like that to windows, and for the very few programs not in synaptics u just have to double click on them and there would download the dependecies for u ,and about the copmmand line u can run ubuntu without using command, everything is point and click, even then the little command u have to learn are easy and u can copy and paste,
i don't know where u get your facts from but , they do not represent the current state of ubuntu linux

Bottom line is not one of these OS (including Mac) is perfect. use what you can afford.
that i agree
but don't forget my offer , lets end this debate, i fit come your house then we try out ubuntu and vista side by side,
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 1:36pm On Nov 12, 2007

At this stage, Linux users should ask themselves what exactly they plan to achieve. i get people telling me Linux can run well on Pentium IIs and older machines.
Guess what? I don't HAVE a pentium II and i don't need one either.
u might not but there are many people who are not that rich who do and ubuntu give them the experience of running a fast os on a low computer after all its not a crime to be poor
They say Linux is stable, doesn't crash and no need for reboots after installations.
My Windows PC (post SP2) rarely crashes or become unstable, only ONE BSOD in 18 months and i really do not mind restarting after installation. After all, restarting's a whole lot more passive than typing commands such as 'make' during the installation process of many Linux apps.
actually its sudo make install , and u don't have to do that u can use synaptic or adepts there are all easy gui way of installing , just search for the program right click and install
They say you can run many Windows programs in Linux, including games. My good friend Chxta even whips out a screenshot of him running Football Manager 2007 on ubuntu using WINE. He falls silent when i ask him to emulate Quake Wars. . .
WHT that is why there is a slave os on dual boot that is for gaming, beside am not a game guy, but if i was i will just boot windows,
They say linux has great ease of use. My cousin can easily run ZSNES (a super Nintendo emulator) on his desktop because it comes with an easy-to-use GUI. The Linux version of ZSNES runs from command line, and has no GUI to speak of until you spend quality time seeking it out, downloading it and running some crappy commands to configure GUI.
mahn styop lying chai , there are many game emulators on linux and even zsnes has a gui, and all u do is use synaptics to search for it and install , now, mehn u too dey lie

So why upgrade? I'll be buying Laptops from here on as my Job and lifestyle demands mobility. My systems will always be powerful and cutting edge so they'll run Windows flawlessly. The extra horsepower the linux geeks claim i'll save from running Ubuntu or some other 'non bloatware OS' will never be used by any demanding game or 3D app, so why bother?
man i also run cutting edge system , the point is if ubuntu runs fine on p2 what would it do on core 2 duo ? don't answer that
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by texazzpete(m): 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2007
@bigbrovar
Sorry if i made a few offensive statements in my reply.
Visit psubuntu.com. The official ubuntu site has isos for PS3, both Live CD an full install. You can run a full install of ubuntu on PS3, only thing missing is all the eye-candy, i guess due to PS3 linux lack of access to the GPU.

1.) Any horsepower you claim to save by running ubuntu on a core 2 duo over Xp, what d'ya use it for?

2.) Contrary to what you say, piracy is only that much rampant in Africa and Asia. Most Windows revenue comes from people buying new systems with Vista or Xp pre-installed.

3.) Aero ripped off the Mac interface?! WTF?! Have you even seen the MAc interface? Does every cute GUI have to be a Rip-off of Mac OSX? Will every cute phone GUI be a rip-offf of the i-phone? Weird.

Anyway, to each his own. I pretty much can figure out Ubuntu on my own, but it remains a broken OS for me until i've got internet access in my house. Synaptic won't do crap for you if you're offline
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 7:00pm On Nov 12, 2007
2 frank even window ìs a lame duck ìf u r offline.abi where do u download codecs,drivers,freewares,i mean if u use windows offline on a fresh install it wont b any beta dn ubuntu.infact add d fact dt ubuntu comes preinstalled with an office programme,a messager client dt can run yahoo,an advance photo editing software,a cd burner,a bluetooth client etc on a fresh install dn ubuntu is a beta choice if u r offline.beside i have a ubuntu package cd which u can add to synaptics 2 install programms offline
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by bigrovar(m): 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2007
about d xtra core2duo power. what i meant was dt if ubuntu works well on p2 dn it is super fast on sometime higher like core2duo, *
Re: Is Linux Problem Free? Why All The Windows Bashing? by Bawss1(m): 10:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
Omo it has tayed o. grin

Where are all the Linux guys on Nairaland? Seems they have been relegated to the underworld of computing despite all the huffing and puffing of yesteryears. Linux here continues to be the focus of just hobbyists and no one else.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Format My Windows8 (655) Hp Laptop? / Lenovo Thinkpad T420 For Sale In Lagos 65k / Hp Probook 450 G3 For Sale (12gb Monster Ram And Space For Super Fast M2 Ssd)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.