Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,813 members, 7,844,635 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? - Business (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? (1127742 Views)

Naira Appreciates Against The Dollar / How Much Did You Exchange The Pound For Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by spinoff: 10:17am On Feb 25, 2016
kaycodes:

Sorry to say, the hard times have not started. If oil price does not improve drastically before the 3rd quarter of the year, expect more hardship. Either way we have to brace up for tougher economic policies. And even with the right things put in place in Nigeria it will still take some time for things to get better. So until we successfully diversify the economy this dollar and naira game will continue. Then each time the dust settles we will have a new black market steady rate.

Example, earlier speculations drive the dollar to 250, it then settled to 230...

Now it went as high as 375, and is now settling to 2xx, maybe we might see a final steady price of 250. Then after a while demand will spike again and so on and so forth. The CBN cannot defend the naira for ever.

That's my lay man's economics grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by opomulero(m): 10:18am On Feb 25, 2016
bashit:
USD rising, now selling 310 in Abuja

Dont rely on words of mouth, did you go out physically or call to confirm this information?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by toluxa1(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2016
AbuMaryam1:
$ is trading @ 330, Abuja, Lagos and Kano.

I thought you said 200 at your place just yesterday. Now 310 again? When I dey reason to visit zone 4
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 10:43am On Feb 25, 2016
Please USD was selling at $1 to N220 yesterday at Sheraton. I routinely change dollars every week so I can confirm to you that the exchange rate has improved.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by mavinc4u(f): 10:46am On Feb 25, 2016
stagger:
Please USD was selling at $1 to N220 yesterday at Sheraton. I routinely change dollars every week so I can confirm to you that the exchange rate has improved.

Which sheraton?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:37am On Feb 25, 2016
toluxa1:

I thought you said 200 at your place just yesterday. Now 310 again? When I dey reason to visit zone 4
Yes bros, it fluctuate and that's the market. It's started trading at buying 200/$ buying, selling best on negotiations, as of yesterday. Later in the day it closes at 330 selling.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by SGCSolutions(f): 11:39am On Feb 25, 2016
dokgen:

DOnt get it, you mean you are selling for 220?

what exactly don't you get?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 11:58am On Feb 25, 2016
mavinc4u:

Which sheraton?
Sheraton Abuja. But the rate was fluctuating so much that in different cities it was at 295, 235, 240, 270, 265, etc. No single uniform rate or rate band and this is all a sign of choppiness. It is only by next week that we will have a steady band across the whole country.

But in my view, the pressure on the Naira will continue and the CBN will be forced to make a decision about the exchange rate very soon. The question is, for how long will the CBN continue to use the foreign reserves to defend the Naira? Switzerland could not do it with their Euro/Swiss Franc peg, Japan's interventions to stop the Yen from strengthening could not do it, and I don't see Nigeria being able to do it when there is virtually only one source of USD for the central bank which has dropped by 65%.

A renewed speculative attack on the Naira will occur and the CBN will be forced to devalue by the time the foreign reserves drop to $18bn. I don't see a way out here unless Nigeria decides to stop the importation of petroleum products which presently accounts for about 70% of Nigeria's foreign exchange usage as a very radical measure.

Frankly put, Bubu is in trouble and he knows it. That is why he is running all over the world looking for money.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by mavinc4u(f): 12:04pm On Feb 25, 2016
stagger:

Sheraton Abuja. But the rate was fluctuating so much that in different cities it was at 295, 235, 240, 270, 265, etc. No single uniform rate or rate band and this is all a sign of choppiness. It is only by next week that we will have a steady band across the whole country.

But in my view, the pressure on the Naira will continue and the CBN will be forced to make a decision about the exchange rate very soon. The question is, for how long will the CBN continue to use the foreign reserves to defend the Naira? Switzerland could not do it with their Euro/Swiss Franc peg, Japan's interventions to stop the Yen from strengthening could not do it, and I don't see Nigeria being able to do it when there is virtually only one source of USD for the central bank which has dropped by 65%.

A renewed speculative attack on the Naira will occur and the CBN will be forced to devalue by the time the foreign reserves drop to $18bn. I don't see a way out here unless Nigeria decides to stop the importation of petroleum products which presently accounts for about 70% of Nigeria's foreign exchange usage as a very radical measure.

Frankly put, Bubu is in trouble and he knows it. That is why he is running all over the world looking for money.

Lol, bubu is in trouble or Nigerians are in trouble.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by mekaboy(m): 12:16pm On Feb 25, 2016
I changed for 300 naira today.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by makzeze: 12:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
mekaboy:
I changed for 300 naira today.
buying is 320, selling 330
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by mekaboy(m): 12:32pm On Feb 25, 2016
makzeze:
buying is 320, selling 330

So I sold at a loss, this nairaland.com sef. All this rubbish rates will make one panic, thank God I just sold 200, I planned selling 1000 out of panic.

Thank God bank said they did not have.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by opomulero(m): 12:46pm On Feb 25, 2016
mekaboy:

So I sold at a loss, this nairaland.com sef. All this rubbish rates will make one panic, thank God I just sold 200, I planned selling 1000 out of panic.

Thats what I've been saying, people always rely in dem-say, we hear say.........
sorry for the loss sha..................
Please if our source of information is not reliable, we should just stay put and dont try confusing people, we all believe we can get better information on this platform.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by agarawu23(m): 12:50pm On Feb 25, 2016
mekaboy:

majority of them are forex trade dealers, they bring fake news here so that u can rush to sell your dollar for them and they resell higher.

I have been watching.......
Dollar rate no let me fit sleep these days sad
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by lancee(m): 12:52pm On Feb 25, 2016
Hopefully we will know the actual rate days to come

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Kx: 12:56pm On Feb 25, 2016
stagger:

Bros, please throw more light on this.

If we devalue to say N320 officially to the dollar, if another round of speculation "sheles" thereafter, does it mean we should devalue then again to say N500 or N600 as the case may be?
Are we saying at the slightest drop of a hat, our reaction should be to devalue?
If we adopt that as a policy, for how long shall the devaluation exercise last?

Floating the rate one might argue, but what exactly does am import driven nation stand to gain from a floating rate forex regime even with our own greed driven experience?

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by 1kachi4u(m): 1:02pm On Feb 25, 2016
I want to buy $1000 at N260.....anyone willing to sell...?....
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by grandstar(m): 1:07pm On Feb 25, 2016
Kx:

If we devalue to say N320 officially to the dollar, if another round of speculation "sheles" thereafter, does it mean we should devalue then again to say N500 or N600 as the case may be?
Are we saying at the slightest drop of a hat, our reaction should be to devalue?

Floating the rate one might argue, but what exactly does am import driven nation stand to gain from a floating rate forex regime even with our own greed driven experience?

A devaluation to 240 is enough. It will lead to a convergence of the black market and official rates
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 1:36pm On Feb 25, 2016
Kx:

That is the issue. Devaluation is bad for any import-driven economy. A float will see send the Naira into a tail spin before it balances out. We are now paying the price for clueless leadership since 1984.

Things will only get worse before they get better. The fundamentals have not changed and will not change for a long time to come. The power situation is not going to be fixed overnight. Our credit financing regime for SMEs will not change overnight. Bank lending rates will not come down overnight. Tastes for foreign goods are not cured overnight. You can invite all the foreign investors, car makers, tire makers, etc to come here to invest. What will power their machinery?

Nigeria must as a matter of urgency do the following:

a) provide the environment for enough modular refineries to cut down our fuel imports by two-thirds this year. Fuel imports consume about 70% of forex usage in Nigeria. This is very urgent.

b) Do all it can to boost power generation and transmission to ensure at least 16 hours of electricity, especially to known industrial hubs like Aba, Kano, Lagos, etc. This can be done this year of the govt is serious.

c) All states must channel their efforts into boosting agricultural production for local and international consumption. China is moving away from exporting to the world to channeling their products for their 1.5billion people to consume to create sustainable growth. I don't see why we should be talking of export when we cannot even produce enough fish, poultry and other products for local demand. The woman who supplies my wife cooking ingredients told me once that her ugu suppliers cannot supply enough ugu to meet the demand of her customers! I am talking about fluted pumpkin, not even other more regarded agric products.

All this talk about diversifying is nebulous. Ask a typical state governor and all you will hear is they want to increase IGR. That is their only solution to their revenue drop. How do you tax people who are unemployed or whose businesses are struggling? You can't put the cart before the horse.

I am talking with two state governors now and believe you me, if they can follow my blueprint 100%, things will start working there and serve as a model for the entire country.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by topsquino(m): 1:40pm On Feb 25, 2016
At last, I have a confirmed source that this rise of naira is nothing but a propaganda. Most of the people here on nairaland are just posting ridiculous prices based on hearsay. I dey advertise my $3000 for 310, yet some people dey offer me 250. Well, in my parlance, we call that MAGOMAGO. Thank God that the smart ones bought it from the desperate ones at ridiculous prices yesterday. By next week, the game of forex, which would be determined by the law of demand and supply, has just begun. grin
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by Nichobabe(m): 2:06pm On Feb 25, 2016
grandstar:

A devaluation to 240 is enough. It will lead to a convergence of the black market and official rates

Just like that? Please how did you arrive at 240?

Because this talk of devaluation is getting too much. Explain further please

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by demosoft: 2:11pm On Feb 25, 2016
dokgen:
Please i need Neteller or bitcoin of about 2500 dollars anybody in the house have to sell?
URGENT Please.
Or better still anybody whose got a relative in yankee who wanna send money home. So i just pay em in naira into their Naija bank account and they send the cash to me in dollars via Money gram coz im in yankee presently.
contact me via my signature .I can send you WU /MG /bitcoin
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by jjcena(m): 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Who got $$ bills to sell. Drop your phone number and your rates as well let me call you or you pm me. I stay in lagos.
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by doyinisaac(m): 3:18pm On Feb 25, 2016
jjcena:
Who got $$ bills to sell. Drop your phone number and your rates as well let me call you or you pm me. I stay in lagos.
320naira per dollar....If you are not interested just simply say "NO",I know wan hear story of how dem dey sell dollar for 260 for abuja or London...grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by grandstar(m): 3:53pm On Feb 25, 2016
Nichobabe:

Just like that? Please how did you arrive at 240?

Because this talk of devaluation is getting too much. Explain further please

History always repeats itself.

In 2009, the price of oil collapsed from $35 per barrel from $148 in 2008.

Because of the massive reduction in dollar inflows from crude oil exports, there was msssive pressure for the naira to depreciate from around 120 where it was at the official market. There was only about 2naira difference from the black market.

Rather than depreciate, the then CBN governor, Charles Soludo started introducing foreign exchange restriction like the type Buhari demanded.

The black market rate started to diverge from the official rate and it fell to 190

Immediately Sanusi took over he devalued the official rate to 150 and almost overnight, the black market rate converged with the official rate.

Do you know why that hsppened?

Imagine 1billion naira was chasing $1billion. The rate will be $1= N1.

Imagine the dollar inflow dropped to $500m, what will the new rate be? Will it still be 1 to 1 when 1billion naira is chasing $500m? Does the rate need to change to accept the new reality?

Buhari hss said the rate must remain at 199 to $1 despite persistent reduction in forex inflows, is this realistic? Why did a staunch Buharist and a straight talker like Sanusi say that Buhari should stop living in denial?
He even added that these policy has never worked where it is practice.

Now let's go further.

So if 1billion is now chasing $500m and the government insist it should remain at 1 to 1, what do you think will happen?

After selling $500m for N500m, what do you think will happen to those who fid not get or receive or a portion of what they wanted? Will they not find an alternative source? Most likely. That alternative source is the parallel or black market.

What do you think will happen to the rate at the black market with the sudden surge in demand? Will the rate appreciated rapidly or depreciate rapidly at the black market?
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by larez(m): 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2016
GTB Yesterday =199

1 Like

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by pappilo(m): 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2016
stagger:

I hate people like you who try to sound knowledgeable on issues but are actually clueless.

Japan's government's problem is nothing like Nigeria's. In fact its the opposite. The Yen regularly gains on the dollar and becomes too strong so Bank of Japan devalues the currency so their exports become attractive. You illiterates are asking for devaluation in the face of a weakining Naira.

I wish we had the Swiss problem. The Swiss National Bank artificially kept the value of the franc low and when it removed the cap pegging the Franc to the Euro at 1.20, the Franc appreciated by 15% in one day.

Now tell me do the 2 issues above look like the problems facing the Naira in any shape or form?

6 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by kolomax(m): 4:46pm On Feb 25, 2016
demosoft:
contact me via my signature .I can send you WU /MG /bitcoin
Bitcoin is how much
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by demosoft: 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2016
kolomax:
Bitcoin is how much
330/$
Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by JAZES(m): 5:08pm On Feb 25, 2016
pappilo:

I hate people like you who try to sound knowledgeable on issues but are actually clueless.

Japan's government's problem is nothing like Nigeria's. In fact its the opposite. The Yen regularly gains on the dollar and becomes too strong so Bank of Japan devalues the currency so their exports become attractive. You illiterates are asking for devaluation in the face of a weakining Naira.

I wish we had the Swiss problem. The Swiss National Bank artificially kept the value of the franc low and when it removed the cap pegging the Franc to the Euro at 1.20, the Franc appreciated by 15% in one day.

Now tell me do the 2 issues above look like the problems facing the Naira in any shape or form?

Thank you jare my brother, I hav personally didn't want to comment at stagger's comment since morning cos I can't believe he is comparing Japan and Swiss issues with ours, there are two different issues.
Sometime it's better one just keep shut if you don't know what you are saying than displaying your ignorance for all to see.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 5:33pm On Feb 25, 2016
pappilo:

My friend, hate me all you want. I really don't give a damn. The 2 examples I used show the futility of a central bank in trying to artificially control an exchange rate. Nigeria's CBN maintains a fixed exchange rate regime and tries to control the rate by selling a certain amount of dollars to the key players who need dollars. Whatever demand is not met will spill over into the parallel market where if there is excess demand and dwindling supply (created by the policy of the CBN to starve the BDCs of dollars), the exchange rate will definitely be much higher.

The question you should ask yourself is:

a) Does CBN print dollars? NO! Any dollars the CBN uses has to be earned (in our case from crude oil sales) or drawn from the foreign reserves.
b) Has the CBN's source of dollars to satisfy the demand on the local market to keep it at the fixed rate been undermined by falling crude prices? YES!
c) Does the CBN have the ability to sustain the fixed exchange rate INDEFINITELY under the present conditions? NO. Either our crude earnings have to go up, or we keep drawing on the foreign reserves until it is all gone!

We all know that Japan and Switzerland are export-oriented economies which favour weakening of their currencies to make their products internationally competitive.

Now ask yourself:

a) The Bank of Japan, with help from other central banks, sold 700 billion Japanese Yen in exchange for US Dollars in March 2011. It propped the USDJPY from 79.18 to 85.53 in three weeks. WHAT HAPPENED THEREAFTER? Look at the chart and answer for yourself.

b) When the SNB tried to stop the Swiss Franc from strengthening below 1.2000 to the Euro, even when Europe was in a crushing sovereign debt crisis, which was causing the Euro to weaken so much, what happened? After selling and selling and selling large amounts of Swiss Francs to purchase the Euro so as to prop the Euro and weaken the Swiss Franc, what happened? The SNB had to give up. They could not keep using money to defend the indefensible.

My analogy from the Bank of Japan and Swiss National Bank was to show that intervention and interference with exchange rates are not the solution. For the Naira to strengthen, the fundamentals of Nigeria's economy must shift.

That is the lesson I was trying to pass across. So Mr hater, if you need more economics lessons to make you hate me more, I will gladly oblige you.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Did You Exchange The Dollar For Today? by stagger: 5:40pm On Feb 25, 2016
JAZES:

Thank you jare my brother, I hav personally didn't want to comment at stagger's comment since morning cos I can't believe he is comparing Japan and Swiss issues with ours, there are two different issues.
Sometime it's better one just keep shut if you don't know what you are saying than displaying your ignorance for all to see.

Jazes, I have a lot of respect for you on this forum. So to see you post this comment simply shows you did not understand the point being passed across. I was not comparing the Japanese, Swiss and Nigerian economies. Japan and Switzerland are export oriented, Nigeria is import oriented.

Devaluation, which is an artificial reduction in a currency's value, works for export oriented economies. It is bad for import-based economies like Nigeria.

The point of my post which I now feel I should spell out clearly before you say something more stupid than your last sentence, was to show how manipulation of exchange rate by a central bank without a shift in the underlying fundamentals will end up not working. In other words, I am saying Nigeria should change its economic fundamentals and not leave the CBN to use our precious foreign reserves to keep defending the Naira's value. How long will that last?

Pass across your message. But don't be rude or throw insults.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (362) (Reply)

Football (+/Other Sports) Betting Season 15 / ➜ ➜ ➜Currency/E-currency Market Deals 2020 ➜ ➜ ➜ / EXCLUSIVE : How To Make Level 2 Seller On Fiverr In A Month As A Nigerian Seller

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.