Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli - Music Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music Business / How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli (223 Views)

How To Write A Good Song In 2023: By Amechi Okoli / How To Choose The Right Producer For Your Songs - Written By Amechi Okoli / How Upcoming Artistes Can Be Relevant In 2022: Written By Amechi Okoli (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 11:17am On Nov 30, 2021
How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli

As I watched ILL Bliss do the traditional Ibo dance in the first episode of Kemi Adetiba's "King Of Boys" Netflix series, I thought to myself - This dude has come a freakin' long way!

From doing the low budget "Street Hop" music video with The Thorobreds, to starring in a Netflix original series worth millions of Dollars.

We can all agree that it's been a long journey for illy Chapo, but how did he manage to last for over 2 decades in an industry where many of his peers have fallen off?

Let me try to analyze this.

We all know ILL Bliss is a staunch hip hop head, which is why you heard him in the early 2000s rapping over heavy boom bap beats alongside Elajoe, Obiwon, Amaka, and B-Elect. Fast forward a few years into the mid 2000s, he's gone solo, and he's putting his debut album together.

By this time, the industry had changed, and it was being dominated by a more commercial sound. ILL Bliss was smart enough to recruit Terry G, one of the forerunners of the commercial era to lace a hook for him.

Aye Po Gan was the end result, and it became a smash hit.

He also understood the power of visuals, which is why he aligned himself with none other than Clarence Peters, who is arguably the most successful cinematographer in Nigeria.

Fast forward a little more into the future, new artistes began to pop, and ILLY did collabos with a lot of them. Including Wizkid, Olamide, and Runtown.

He also spotted new talent like Phyno and Chidinma. Both of whom he helped reach the top of their respective games.

In-between all that, ILL Bliss never lost touch of his love for undiluted hip hop, as he teamed up with producer XYZ to make "Position Of Power". He also teamed up with Teck Zilla to form the illyZilla collective, releasing the self-titled EP in the process.

How about branding?

ILL Bliss scored himself a Hero Lager Beer endorsement, and that alone ensured that you'll see his face on many Hero Lager billboards across the country.

With all these taken into consideration, here's how I think ILL Bliss passed the test of time -

1. Hard work

2. Consistency

3. Affiliation with those who matter

What's your take?

Written by @amechi_okoli for @234hiphop (IG)

Re: How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli by Payperboii(m): 11:34am On Nov 30, 2021
Quite factual. Hardworking people aren't always the successful ones, being smart is staying rich

1 Like

Re: How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 3:07pm On Nov 30, 2021
Payperboii:
Quite factual. Hardworking people aren't always the successful ones, being smart is staying rich

True.
Re: How ILL Bliss Passed The Test Of Time - Written By Amechi Okoli by amechispeaks(m): 6:31am On Dec 02, 2021
Writing gigs

(1) (Reply)

NFOE Says "I Will Out Shine Phyno" / Vocalist In Ibadan / Get Your Music On International Digital Stores, Radio Stations And Blogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.