Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,826 members, 7,844,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Question About The Yoruba Language: - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question About The Yoruba Language: (13566 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Yoruba Spreading In Scandinavia- Scandinavian Schools Endorse Yoruba Language / Nigeria's National Anthem In Yoruba Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 6:17pm On Jun 26, 2011
Booshman,

I'm shocked at the responses to you on this site. Very shocked!! I will face to you shortly, let me first address my people.

Yoruba people, shame on you!!! Shame!!!!

Ileke-Idi was the only person that bothered to raise any challenge/question to this guy.

Babe asked questions after the fact.

Omosoji asked questions and got a shitload of clues but was blinded by his own story that he omitted to follow up on those clues.

Now, Booshman, let's talk. Why are you here to learn Yoruba? You are producing a revenue generating art, why not invest money to learn the tools that you need?

This work is a proprietary art, is it not?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 2:09am On Jun 27, 2011
Why are you shocked? You sound very defensive. Are you mad because there wasn't anyone engaging in brainless tribalism and telling me to go away, because I'm a non-Yoruba? I'd rather ask actual Yorubas for translations, because if I were to continue my current methods, I'd continue to get the wrong translations. I could have just said "Screw it!"and not cared and made up "African sounding words", but I didn't because that's not right. Ileke-IdI DID ask me if I was studying Yoruba, and I answered him. BABE asked me as well, and I answered her as well. But it seems as if you just skimmed over my answers, so you could "continue to be outraged".

Do you have an actual purpose for questioning my motivations, or are you just nit-picking because like some unfortunate Yoruba, you have deep seeded hatred for your own language? If you're worried that I am just "using" Nigerians for Western entertainment, then you couldn't be further from the truth. My target audiences are varied with the main ones being Nigerians and Westerners. (Slightly moreso towards Nigerians though.)
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 2:21am On Jun 27, 2011
Well, there you go!

Does any Yoruba in here believe that Booshman was sincerely interested in learning Yoruba for a good cause, or is it backed by something else?

Booshman, you are foolish, coming here masquerading yourself with false identity and fronting.

No Yoruba lessons for you. Go and pay for the lessons.

Beside, you are making cartoons for children but yet the contents will be adult rated. Who are the target of this cartoon, yoruba children? And unaware, yorubas are giving you the tools that you can use to destroy the minds of our children.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 3:01am On Jun 27, 2011
Nothing I said remotely hurt my argument!

You just decided to take the mentally simplistic route and didn't even listen to my answers because you believe what you want to believe. Despite how overwhelmingly incorrect you are. You couldn't even wait a few posts before you engaged in self-destructive tribalism like I mentioned earlier. Typical. The contents of what I'm making is primarily for teenagers and young adults. But there are more than enough lighthearted aspects in the fantasy world that I'm creating to create spinoffs tailored specifically for children. The problem with assumptions is that you tend to make a fool of yourself. Just like you have demonstrated, with your very first post in this thread.

Sorry, I don't believe in corruptiing children. As that is one of the few things that I hate more than the devil himself. I leave that up to already corrupt Yorubas like yourself and your governments officials, that want to keep "the status quo" by creating distractions for their people. Distractions like you lambasting what I'm doing, despite the fact that it's an honest project. How can something that instills pride in the minds and hearts of Yoruba, a people that have very few (if any) positive images to look forward to, be a bad thing? Just how backwards are you?? So you try and create a witch hunt, because someone outside of the Yoruba group actually wants to see it thrive? That's just moronic! So besides the creation of the educational program Bino and Fino, what are you and other Nigerians doing to uplift their children and people?

In terms of learning the Yoruba language, it's not that easy. Most schools and universities in America don't offer any African language besides Swahili. Which, last time I checked, ISN'T Yoruba!
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 5:36am On Jun 27, 2011
Apparently your inherited instincts for exploitation is still thriving and you are yet to completely bleach out the stereotype that you are the World savior from your dna.

Has the Amerian or the European cartoon market become too saturated with barney and square pants? So you need a new adventure in buffonery and who can provide that. . , ? Oh, I know, let's try Yoruba!

Stupid Booshman, our teenagers and young adult are not that daft as you assumed that they must sit in front of some damned cartoon to learn adult content lessons of life. That's not our culture, maybe it is in yours that 14, 15, 16yrs sit idle watching cartoon characters throw vulgar languages back and forth at one another and curse at their parents and grand parents.

Stupid ass, This is YORUBA, an African culture! Your forefathers in their warped and backwardness said we were heathens when they immatured minds could not understand the sophistication of our relatively more advanced way of sociaizing.

Now you come with your mouth looking like the north end of a shouthbound cow talking about learning our language from us so that you can create cartoons with it for our young adults to learn adult content.

You have lost your motherfhoking soul!

What adult content is that beside presenting to them life altering materials that in your society you deem armless. In our society cursing a parent is a taboo! Telling parents that you will shoot them is a taboo! Man engaging in serx with another man is taboo! Woman licking another woman is taboo! what else is left in what you call adult content?

Heteroserxual? They don't need cartoon to teach them that, the African rhythym in their dna will soon clock it in.

Booshman, like I told one of you motherfhokers earlier today on a separate site, GET DA "F" OUT OF HERE!
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 6:08am On Jun 27, 2011
I'm a black American who is trying to learn about two types of Nigerian dialect for a comic book project I'm working on, and I have a question about the Yoruba language. (I didn't know what other section to put this topic in.) The details of "why" are unimportant, but it's something that requires Yoruba words, and I can't continue unless I learn these words.

In reference to transparency, This mugu said "the details of why are unimportant".

I tell you what, why don't you go try this shyyyt with the Arabs? Yeah, take your stpid arsse go ask Samil to teach you arabic so you can create cartoon for his sisters and brothers and children to learn to shoot one another and curse at adults and blow up schools and classmates. . . .see if you don't get a turbanned visitor next day.

You fool!!! I hope you come back here so I can really tell your gaddem arss what I think of you.

Moderator can you turn off the censor bot for couple hours so I can use adult content on Booshman?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 11:02am On Jun 27, 2011
And Negro_Ntns is a prime example of why the majority of world looks down on Africans like him as being nothing more than silly and backwards primates. I feel sorry for the good Africans that become ashamed when they see unintelligent and loudmouthed idiots like you making the majority of them look bad. It's funny because you're the only Yoruba here that has a problem with what I'm doing. Which is why I decided to do this, because I have more faith in your own people and their willingness to think outside the box than you do! In terms of what I'm actually doing, it's not going to commercialize Yoruba culture in the least bit. The Yoruba aspects which are unknown to non-Yoruba are merely something that will be familiar to Yoruba, so they can relate to the characters. If that's too advanced a concept for your infant like mind to grasp, then that's not my problem.

For someone who claims that he's so sophisticated, you sure spell like a complete "donkey".

Now please point out where I said that I planned on doing any of the following things that you accused me of! I dare you to!

- Verbal disrespect towards adults and elders
- Violence towards adults
- Vulgarity in general
- Homosexuality
- Corruption of teenagers

Please go back and quote me where I said I was doing any ONE these things. I'll wait! You know what? I'll just save you the trouble. I didn't say any of those things, and you're just a wacky person that pulls random theories out of his behind!

And who's forefathers said those incorrect things about Yoruba culture? If you hold some random forefathers accountable for their past actions, then I should hold ALL Africans accountable for someone as silly as you! But you know what? I don't and I WON'T! Why? Because I'm not a worthless waste of space, who sits around and whines like you are and like you do!

Newsflash you friggin' slowpoke: I'm doing all of this to counter act that misinformation!

For the record, I hate Spongebob Squarepants with the rage of over a billion burning suns.

And the only reason I stated that "the details are unimportant" is for copyright purposes. Do you even know what that phrase is? Or is your "sophisticated" mind too slow? Moderator, can you ban this poster, because he's too "mentally child-like", to contribute in any meaningful way. Not to mention the fact that he drags down the image of Africans as a whole.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 2:26am On Jun 28, 2011
I heard from the grapevine! Smbody told me u posted a comeback so I said what about and it was explined to me. So I came in mysel to read.

Exvuse typing, I'm on road and nowadays it is illegal to type and drive.

In any case,I felt it if if what was told me was true then I owe u an apology but only after I read and confirm for myself.

Ask anyboDy on NL that know me I'm fierce but I know to humble myslef when I'm in error.

Booshman, I read your post and true the grapevine was correct.

I would have apologized but t you now but I found ouple of missteps in your action.

First, you failed to dislose this was for manga. Even if you Did disclose, it was not expressly firmed up. Remember I asked if this was a proprietaru work?

Because you are using an endowment that is a public property (ie language) you are notnecessarily oblighated to compensate the sources, howevber since the time and exertion of effort by your contributors can be measured as a unit of labour. . . .and since you are conducting this transaction across international boundaries, it is incumbent upon you to pay compensation and or profit sharing of thje gross revenue and or royalty - dependiong on the terms of applicable negtiation to that effect -, and as set in the statues of the United States and Nigeria. Failing which the codes of the statues of the ITO -which governs certain trades of internatonal nature - and as well any appliable and enforceable laws under the auspiCes of the UN, as agreed to and ratified by the members of th Alliance of Natons both to cover for (1) endowments of native/ethnic groups; (2) the fair labor statues and (3) exchange and trade of merchandise with intenion to distribute.

Now, I must of course apologize to my fellow Yorubas for preempting the matter, though with good intentions but nonetheless with a resulting damage. I hope they forgive the action nd not hold this against the person of Negro. I'm like a pitbull when it comes to my Yoruba peple and loking out for their safety and well being. If you knoiw me well you wouldd wish I belong in your tribe. Negro will fight for you, trust me, I don't play and compromise on what I love! I klove Yoruba, Period!

Now, I guess to build good relations for the fture I really should apologize to you but with condition.

You have to promise to come visit Nigeria one day in future.

You have seen the interactions between the tribes online, well, we have more beauty than the tribalism. Come see West, come see South, come and see East and come and see North.

Do not forget to see about compensating those people that gave u resources for translation.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I heard from the grapevine! Smbody told me u posted a comeback so I said what about and it was explined to me. So I came in mysel to read.

Exvuse typing, I'm on road and nowadays it is illegal to type and drive.

In any case,I felt it if if what was told me was true then I owe u an apology but only after I read and confirm for myself.

Ask anyboDy on NL that know me I'm fierce but I know to humble myslef when I'm in error.

Booshman, I read your post and true the grapevine was correct.

I would have apologized but t you now but I found ouple of missteps in your action.

First, you failed to dislose this was for manga. Even if you Did disclose, it was not expressly firmed up. Remember I asked if this was a proprietaru work?

Because you are using an endowment that is a public property (ie language) you are notnecessarily oblighated to compensate the sources, howevber since the time and exertion of effort by your contributors can be measured as a unit of labour. . . .and since you are conducting this transaction across international boundaries, it is incumbent upon you to pay compensation and or profit sharing of thje gross revenue and or royalty - dependiong on the terms of applicable negtiation to that effect -, and as set in the statues of the United States and Nigeria. Failing which the codes of the statues of the ITO -which governs certain trades of internatonal nature - and as well any appliable and enforceable laws under the auspiCes of the UN, as agreed to and ratified by the members of th Alliance of Natons both to cover for (1) endowments of native/ethnic groups; (2) the fair labor statues and (3) exchange and trade of merchandise with intenion to distribute.

Now, I must of course apologize to my fellow Yorubas for preempting the matter, though with good intentions but nonetheless with a resulting damage. I hope they forgive the action nd not hold this against the person of Negro. I'm like a pitbull when it comes to my Yoruba peple and loking out for their safety and well being. If you knoiw me well you wouldd wish I belong in your tribe. Negro will fight for you, trust me, I don't play and compromise on what I love! I klove Yoruba, Period!

Now, I guess to build good relations for the fture I really should apologize to you but with condition.

You have to promise to come visit Nigeria one day in future.

You have seen the interactions between the tribes online, well, we have more beauty than the tribalism. Come see West, come see South, come and see East and come and see North.

Do not forget to see about compensating those people that gave u resources for translation.

Guy i was getting seriosly pissed with you and ready to lash out at you but i would let it pass, but you need to seriously chill, agbalagba ko gbodo ma se langbalangba.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2011
Pure - Mimo gaara, mimo means clean or holy, the 'gaara' qualifies it as of extreme or pristine cleanliness or holiness. mimo i.e me-more, gaara pronounced gaa as in ti-ger but pronounced long and ra as in rat.
Corrupt- Ibaje i.e e-bar-je as jelly
Evil- Ibi
Sinister - depends on usage you could use bad or evil
Dark- Okunkun means darkness, while dudu means black, i.e oh-kun-kun, cant think of a world that i can use, okay like rapunzle in the fairy tale but replace the p in pun with a k.
Justice-idajo ododo, e-dah-jor oh-do-do, dodo as in 'dodo the kid from outer space' cartoon.
Erase-paare, the p has a peculiar sound like it has k preceeding it, kpaa-re, re as in red.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 4:38pm On Jun 28, 2011
Rabzy, do not get pissed at me. If you get to that point confer with me first through email.

I have taken many positions here on NL on many other discussions and topics that you were proud of me on.

There is a post in here about adult content for some juvenile project but it was not connected with Booshman work or the manga Project but things got mixed up and triggered my fury. I was contacted and told to read it again.

You see I took immeddiate action, even at the cost of violating the law on driving and texting to maKe sure I did the right thing.

I am just as humble as I am confrontational.
I gave my apology to the people I accused and I gave apology to the man I charged at.

I still maintain strongly however and will like to re-enter and emphasize the point that we should not take things for granted, even though Booshman came armless, a litle probe at the gate is helpful.

M'fe ko binu si mi lori oro yi. Ma binu si mi, s'ogbo?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Adeniki(f): 1:10pm On Jun 29, 2011
After all of that I am slightly afraid to post in this thread!

BABE!:

Yoruba lang. doesn't really have a set rule for tenses. It all depends on how you use them in sentences.

For Example--- The verb "walk", meaning "Rin"

I am walking -- Mo n rin  -- present

I walked --- Mo rin ---past

I have walked --- Mo ti rin -- past

I walk--- Mo ma n rin. --continuous

Another example;

The verb "read/study" meaning "k'awe"

The student is reading ----  Akeko na n k'awe. -- present

The student has read--- Akeko na ti k'awe. --past

Most of the time, there is a convenient pattern--kinda.

If you wanna say something in  present tense, put "N" between the subject and the verb.

Something in past tense that doesn't have an "have/has" in it-- don't put anything between the subject and verb.

Something that has "have/has" -- put "TI" in between.

Something in continuous tense-- put a "MA N"

@BABE: thank you for the above, I am trying to learn Yoruba, and I found this very helpful. However one further question regarding tenses, how would you form the conditional? Eg I would, I could, I should etc?

Thank you!!!
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 10:58am On Jun 30, 2011
@ Negro_Ntns

Ooooooh! Now I see what angered you. Did you think I was "learning" Yoruba to make a manga to make fun of Yorubas, and to teach Yoruba youth naughty things?

No, what I'm doing isn't to make fun of Yorubas and Yoruba culture. It's the exact opposite, my friend. Its sole purpose is to replace the horribly un-African fantasy heroes like Superman and Batman and Ben 10 in Nigeria (and eventually all of Africa) with easily recognizable fantasy versions of what is familiar to Yorubas. Hence why I'm studying the Yoruba language and customs, to make it feel as authentic as possible, but still keeping it in the realm of fantasy. I don't know how you feel about that sort of thing so far, but my intent isn't to insult Yoruba culture by me making fantasy, heroic, and magical versions of pre-colonial Yorubas (and other African groups). It's kind of hard and somewhat frustrating to explain without showing you, because it would cause you to go "Oooooh!" and would be instantly understandable. But I can't just yet, for copyright reasons. But be warned, chances are what I'm doing is not what you're thinking, whether your feelings are good or bad. I feel that it will quickly instill pride in any Yoruba child/teenager/young adult, by reminding them just how great their people are. Pride, while putting many things into context, by teaching them life lessons and morals from the events that transpire in my stories.

This is the thread about what I'm doing in slightly more detail:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-681712.32.html#msg8490136

And for the record, I've wanted to visit Nigeria ever since I was in elementary (primary) school. I just want to learn how to hold a basic conversation in Yoruba before I go. Can't rely on everyone speaking English. That just seems a little arrogant (also known as "Horribly American"wink to assume that everyone will cater to my native language, in a country that isn't America or England. My goal is for this to spark-up something in the country to create a comic industry, because there is a lot of money to be made, if it is nationally supported. Just look at how all every single age group in Japan has comics tailored to their levels of maturity and how rapidly other countries import them. (I'm not comparing anything I'm doing to Japan's comics, it's just an example.) I don't see why the same can't be done in Nigeria.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by NegroNtns(m): 8:31pm On Jun 30, 2011
You are welcome here brother.

If anyone make trouble for you let me know.

Do not forget to make compensation arrangements with those resources you use. Most important, make effort to come visit Nigeria and tour our beautiful landscapes and cultures.

Welcome to Nairaland!
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2011
Nice one brother, if you need some legendary figures and the powers that they were believed to have we could get you some. I remember Timi of Ede, the warrior with the flaming arrows. i think its going to be so exciting, its just the national support/govt support that i am not sure of. But it is something that would really excite the University community and also some western state governors.

Cheers man and all the best.

@adeniki,

I could - mo le i.e moe-lay, mo as in moses
I should - o ye, i.e oh-ye, ye as in yesterday
i would - mo ma i.e mo-ma, ma as in madam
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 9:37am On Jul 02, 2011
rabzy:

Nice one brother, if you need some legendary figures and the powers that they were believed to have we could get you some. I remember Timi of Ede, the warrior with the flaming arrows. i think its going to be so exciting, its just the national support/govt support that i am not sure of. But it is something that would really excite the University community and also some western state governors.

Cheers man and all the best.

Oh! You reminded me of a detail I forgot to mention. I'm actually making sure to include dynamic heroes from the actual folklore of numerous African groups. Even incorporating them with the kingdoms and the groups they encounter, so they feel as if they are a natural part of the story. So far, the main characters even bump into a few of them during their long and dangerous journey.

But a warrior with flaming arrows? I'd love to hear his tale. Culture heroes like that are [b]exactl[/b]y what I've been searching for. Over the past few days, I have even purchased over 11 novels about that. African folktales and cultural heroes. So far I've only finished 2 books, and I've gotten a lot of material. Especially when it comes to magical spells and magical items. But any Nigerian cultural heroes or magical items, I'd really love to learn about, because they seem to be some of the hardest to find information on. Well besides Shango and the Orishas at least. There's plenty of information about them.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Adeniki(f): 11:31pm On Jul 02, 2011
Thanks Rabzy  smiley So for other verbs in the conditional, would it follow the same pattern as English? ie. Mo ma se, mo ma fun, mo ma sun etc etc?

Also: "mo le" is "I could", but isn't "le" also "can"? Does it change (tonation?) in order to be the conditional tense? If not, is there any way to distinguish between present (I can) and conditional (I could)?
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 7:23am On Jul 05, 2011
@ Rabzy

Hmm, I can't really find anything on the original Timi of Ede. Nothing about his heroics or his flaming arrows, just information on his modern descendants. Do you have any info on him? Because "right off the bat" I have the perfect place to put him, in my project. I just need to know a little more about him and his character, in order to make it an accurate depiction of him.

(I really should devote a seperate thread towards folklore. . . . )

Oh, which reminds me! Is his name pronounced "Tee-mee" with any tonial change? And also if you don't mind me asking, from which Nigerian group does he hail from? If he's a Yoruba then that makes things really easy.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 9:07am On Jul 13, 2011
Sorry guys,

I have been away for a while.

@Adeniki

Let me expalain it with sentences. i will go home = mo ma lole. i can go home= mo le lo le, i should go home or am suppose to go home= o ye kin lole. i could go home would also be translated as = mo le lole. Even in english some of these terms are used interchangeably and also because English borrowed so many words from other languages it often has so many words/phrases for the same/similar things. African languages often don't use several different words for the same thing.

@Booshman, the story of Timi of Ede is so inspiring. Ede is a major town in present day Osun state and that is the best place to get the story. Sango is also in the story because they were contemporaries.
Sango had two war generals, Timi and Gbonka. Timi Agbale Olofa-ina could shoot arrows of fire, it was said that he does not shoot more than six arrows at a time. Gbonka was equally powerful. Alaafin Sango sensed that he was not safe with these two powerful generals and tried to set them against each other. He sent Gbonka to Ede, another town in Yorubaland, to capture Timi. Gbonka was immune to Timi's fire arrows, because he also mastered the secrets of fire, and put Timi to sleep by chanting incantations. He brought Timi back to Oyo. Sango insisted they fight again in the public square. Gbonka repeated his feat, was again victorious and cut Timi's head off. Gbonka then asked to be burned alive. He was burnt to ashes, and miraculously re-appeared on the third day. Gbonka then gave Sango the ultimatum to leave town for his infidelity. Sango is then said to have sadly left town and committed suicide on the Ayan tree in a place called Koso. His followers quickly rallied and declared defiantly that the king did not commit suicide, rendered in the Yoruba language as "Oba ko so". They then attacked anybody who said otherwise with the lightning that they had been allowed to wield by the death of their lord. That is why anyone killed by lightning in Yorubaland is buried by the members of the Royal Cult of Sango, whose members are typically referred to as Baba-mogba. As a tacit acknowledgement of the propaganda that is ascribed to the cultists, one of the late king's praise names is Olukoso- the one who did not hang.

There is a yoruba film that was done on gbonka and timi made by people who knew the story very well and would definitely do more research before making the film, i would try and watch so i can give you more gist or if there is a way you could watch it too.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 9:28am On Jul 13, 2011
There are so many interesting characters to pick from, there is Soun of Ogbomoso, who killed a mythical creature Elemoso, One of his descendants is right here beside me, we went to the same University and also work in the same office, tho he does not know am writing about him . The Juju from his lineage is still with him. I find it hard to believe, but he too was shocked when he found out. i would give you the gist if you ask me. His great-great-grandfather is Ojo Aburu-maku, i.e Ojo (thats his name), Ojo Aburumaku means Ojo that is so wicked and still refuse to die. He was a Yoruba supreme war commander, Aare-Ona-Kankanfo, who reigned when there was no major war and so he went on fomenting troubles and quelling it. He was a really bad guy.

There is Ogedengbe of Ilesa, Bashorun Gaa (really bad guy if not the baddest), Iyalode Ilu Ibadan Efunsetan Aniwura (One of the worst women in Yoruba history), Gbotosa of Ibadan, Fabunmi of Oke-Imesi, Oluyole of Ibadan, Sodeke of Egbaland. Of note is that all these people are historical persons, Their sons still rule, and we have photographs of some of them.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 6:09am On Jul 14, 2011
@ Rabzy

Ooooh! I had known about that story of Shango for years, but I didn't know that it involved Timi and Gbonka. As everytime I heard that tale, it didn't go too deeply into who the two generals were. Let alone their powers. Btw, I don't mean to be insultive or a "know-it-all", but I heard that Shango's enemies lied about him commiting suicide to make him look cowardly, because suicide was (from what I heard) looked down upon by Yorubas. I would love to hear about Aburu-maku (pronounced Ah-boo-roo Mah-koo?), Aare-Ona-Kakafo, and Soun though. Any details would be very appreciated. I just have a few questions about though. . . .

1. When Timi and Gbonka were generals in (mortal) Shango's kingdom, were they comrades who got along? Or were they enemies even before Shango tried to make them kill each other? If they were friends (or at least didn't hate each other) before Shango stepped in, then I have a fantastic idea on how to impliment them

2. Was Ojo Aburumaku the war commander who constantly set himself up to look like a hero, by starting and ending conflicts? Or was that Aare-Ona-Kankanfo?

3. Is it "Aburu-maku" or "Aburumaku", and is this his actual last name or a special title/nickname that he was given?

4. Just what is an Elemoso? I love learning about all sorts of mythical creatures, and Africa's are just supreme

5. Is Timi pronounced "Tee-mee"?

6. Just so I'm 100% sure, the "Alaafin" is the ruler of the Oyo kingdom? Like "Oba" was for Edos of the Benin Empire?
Oh, and if that movie about Timi and Gbonka is a Nollywood film, then I think I'll be able to find it. Might take a few days, but it shouldn't be too hard. And thank you for all the incredible information you've given me so far, my friend.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 6:33am On Jul 14, 2011
Also, could anyone please tell me the Yoruba words for:

Lava
Magma (if it's different than Lava)
Leaf
Cover (like "to cover something" or "a cover"wink
Cripple
Circle
Soak
Automation (Or a "machine"wink

Also, I know Rabzy said "Conquerer" was "Segun", I was wondering how that's pronounced. Is it. . .

"Say-goon"
"Shay-goon"
"Say-goo-neh"
"Shay-goo-neh"

Forgive my western tongue, as I'm a little mixed up when it comes to certain letters, when they are placed at the beginning and end of words. I'm still learning though.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Gbenge77(m): 11:35am On Jul 15, 2011
Yoruba language is beautiful.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Dotman01(m): 10:41pm On Jul 15, 2011
Booshman:

Also, could anyone please tell me the Yoruba words for:

Lava
Magma (if it's different than Lava)
Leaf - Ewe (re mi) like a-way
Cover (like "to cover something" or "a cover"wink- abo (do do) like aah-bow
Cripple- aro (re re) like aah-raw
Circle
Soak
Automation (Or a "machine"wink

Also, I know Rabzy said "Conquerer" was "Segun", I was wondering how that's pronounced. Is it. . .

"Say-goon"- nope its pronounced like shell without d LL. .
gun -goon = she(ll)-goon
"Shay-goon"
"Say-goo-neh"
"Shay-goo-neh"

Forgive my western tongue, as I'm a little mixed up when it comes to certain letters, when they are placed at the beginning and end of words. I'm still learning though.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 9:23am On Jul 18, 2011
Hello Booshman,

From all indications, sango committed suicide, its his adherents that tried to change the story and when he appeared in the sky as the god of thunder, they took it as a confirmation that he did not commit sucide and also to instil fear into others. Sango was a very rash and often irrational man and his fits of anger are legendary, so he would not care about any taboo if he wants to take his own life.

Aare-ona-kankanfo is a title given to the supreme General of the Yoruba army. Several people have held the title over the centuries and most of them if not all died in Battle. The last One was Chief MKO Abiola who died while fighting for his lost mandate in 2008. Ojo Aburu-maku was also an Aare-ona-kankanfo and when there was no war in the land, he fomented troubles and quelled them himself, out of idleness and also to set himself up as a hero. There are many Aare-ona Kankanfo and all of them were legendary in their exploits. The aare before MKO died in the 1967 Military coup. Am not sure any one else is ready to step into the shoes of the Aare-ona-Kankanfo now because its almost like a death sentence.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 9:35am On Jul 18, 2011
Aburu-maku was a nickname given to him, just to explain his nature. Most villains like him live a fast short life, but he seems to have lasted more than expected, so they gave him, the bad-one-that-refused-to-die. Both spellings you gave are right.

Timi and Gbonka were reknowed generals, and they have fought numerous battles side by side for the kingdom. They may not be exactly friends, and they don't stay in the same town because they commanded their seperate communities, but they were not foes, they were like feudal Lords that are called upon in the day of war.
When Sango became King, He used them in quelling revolts but he gradually felt insecure and believed they were becoming too hot to handle.

Timi is pronunced 'tea-me' me as in 'me' in English.

Yes the Alaafin is the paramount ruler in Oyo empire, just like the Oba of Benin, only that he has the council of chiefs 'oyo-mesi' to answer to, and they can ask him to commit suicide if he has become too tyrannical but one of the Oyo-mesi must also die along, so that they don't just apply the rule anyhow.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 10:09am On Jul 18, 2011
segun is pronounced shell-gun, gun as in the japanese shogun or gun as in lagoon. We don't have lava flows here so i doubt if there is a word for it. But am sure one would have been created for it. Dothman gave a nice explanation for it.

a cover is called - ideri, i-de-ri, e-day-real, real without the long e and l. Abo as explained by dothman is protection and not a covering.

Soak is 're' that is Red without the D but the 'e' is pronounced very long.

Machine is Ero, pronounced like error, but the emphasis is placed on the 'ro', unlike error where emphasis is placed on 'e'. Then the type of machine is now describe in the next word. Like Computer is ero ayarabiasa, i.e the machine that is as fast as a hawk. Television is ero amohun-maworan, the machine that captures sound and pictures, Radio - the machine that talks but does not get a reply, Telephone - the machine that is used in talking, Cellphones- Ero agbekapa, the machine that is clutched by the hand.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 18, 2011
Lava - No idea
Magma (if it's different than Lava) - No idea
Leaf - Ewe pronounced a-way
Cover (like "to cover something" or "a cover"wink - this depends on usage. Verb form is bo but noun form is ideri
Cripple - aro as in ah -raw
Circle - Yipo
Soak - Re

Addition to rabzy's translations smiley.

I know this has already be covered but the correct translation for lightning is monamona whilst thunder is ara
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Booshman(m): 1:29pm On Jul 19, 2011
@ Rabzy
Hmm, Shango's human characteristics have changed a few things. Looks like I'll have to rewrite a major aspect of the story. Although, with the addition to Timi and Gbanko it adds a really nice area of plot development. Sort of a "things are not what they always seem" lesson.

Oh, and what is an Elemo?

@ Anyone

Now I'm glad that the confusion about "Lightning" being "Monamona" and not "Ara" (being "Thunder"wink is cleared up. (I really hope it's cleared up, although honestly I liked it more when I thought it was "Ara", because it just sounded neat, with how I had used it.) Speaking of "Ara" I'm still confused on something. Is there any tonal variation of "Ara" that means "skin". And by skin, I'm strictly referring to "human skin", because I have heard there is a seperate word for "animal skin". Which is "Eranko". I'm hoping to nip the confusion I have with this issue in the bud, so I can proceed.

In terms of other words to be translated into Yoruba:

Prince (I can't believe I forgot to ask this, )
Princess (Same with this one, )
Queen (And even THIS one!)
Grandmother
Grandfather
Wash (If it's different than Soak)
Scrub (If it's different than Soak)
Spear
Sword
Shield
Knife (or dagger)
Armor
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2011
Booshman:

@ Rabzy
Speaking of "Ara" I'm still confused on something. Is there any tonal variation of "Ara" that means "skin". And by skin, I'm strictly referring to "human skin", because I have heard there is a seperate word for "animal skin". Which is "Eranko". I'm hoping to nip the confusion I have with this issue in the bud, so I can proceed.

I believe the corrcet translation for skin when referring to human skin is ara, the previous translation of awo is used when referring to animals

In terms of other words to be translated into Yoruba:

Prince (I can't believe I forgot to ask this, ) - Omo oba but if aremo ( a as in add, re as in red and mo as in mob )is always the word used for the heir to the throne
Princess (Same with this one, ) - Not sure if there's a separate term other than omo oba
Queen (And even THIS one!) - Ayaba ( a as in add, ya as in yam and ba as in bad)
Grandmother
Grandfather
Wash (If it's different than Soak) fo as in for with the r silent
Scrub (If it's different than Soak) -gbo,sorry there's no english equivalent
Spear - oko (o as in or and ko as in corn)
Sword- ida (i as in eat and da as in dad)
Shield -odi ( o as in open and di as in dig)
Knife (or dagger) -obe ( o as in or and be as in bend)
Armor - no idea
[quote][/quote]
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by rabzy: 12:49pm On Jul 21, 2011
I think the most appropriate term for Queen is 'olori', oh-low-ri' ri as in re-al.
Prince - Aremo or Arole. Arole is used if the prince is the next in-line. Ah-row-lay
Grandmother- 'Iya-agba' or Iya-iyami, iya-baba-mi, i.e the mother of my mother or the mother of my father respectively,
Grandfather 'Baba-agba, Baba-baba-mi, Baba-iya-mi i.e the mother of my dad or the mother of my mom.
Scrub as in scrub the floor would be 'nuu' i.e clean the floor.
@booshman,

As to the lightening and thunder issue, the usage also matters, if someone is struck by lightening or killed by it, we don't use monamona, we use ara, so if you sent a lightening bolt to someone, we say 'o ran ara si' i.e he struck him with lightening/thunder'. In usage ara is used in virtually every usage instead of monamona. So you should be able to use 'ara' instead of monamona.
Or u cud send sample sentences, so that we can translate it for you.
Re: Question About The Yoruba Language: by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2011
^ Rabzy, i don't think nuu is the right translation for scrub. Nuu is probably wipe i think

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Best African Accent? / Alo A Pa Gbe / Bishop Paulinus Ezeokafor's Iwaji (New Yam) Festival 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.