Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,154 members, 7,845,806 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Flash Fiction/short Stories. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Flash Fiction/short Stories. (379 Views)

The Genesis (A Flash Fiction Story By Kayode Odusanya) / My Islamic Short Stories / Google: Short Stories Google Told As They Celebrate Women Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Flash Fiction/short Stories. by Timazi: 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2021
Hi guys, I am (Timazi) a Writer/Storyteller. I'll post short stories and flash fiction here. You can add yours too, comment and follow for more.

Let the fun begin!

I'll go first.

THE INVITE (Flash Fiction)

It started with a knock on my door that morning. I was in my bathrobe, preparing to begin my day when I heard it. I hurried down and opened the door but to my utmost surprise, there was no one there. Probably a prank I thought, I was about to close the door when I saw it. A letter.
Turned out it was a letter of invitation to a banquet dinner which was to hold that evening at the town hall. I hadn’t been invited to anything at all in a long time, so without thinking about it, I decided I would go. Of course I was thrilled and surprised but I was also too excited to wonder who could have organized the dinner.
At night, I put on my only shimmering black strapless gown and slid on my red bottom heels, I carefully combed my red hair and packed it into a ponytail. I put on red lipstick and mascara and I did my brows. In an hour, I was ready. I hailed a cab right outside of my house and off I went.
I got to the town hall and it was buzzing with activities, there were a lot of people there and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. I wandered about for a while, admiring the beautification of the environment. I hadn’t been there for almost three years before that night and the decor that night was a sight to behold.
I asked and was directed to the banquet hall by a stranger. When I got there the guy at the door looked surprised and asked for my invite, I showed it to him and he ushered me in afterwards.
There were tables with numbers on them and tons of people in the room. I quickly checked my card and saw the letter 20 written at the top left corner and circled. I scanned the room and saw the table labeled 20. I marched to my table and I found there were two sits there just like at every other table.
I wondered who was coming to join me and that was when I actually began to wonder who exactly had invited me and what the dinner was about.
A man in suit soon appeared before me and took a sit, all the while receiving a call. He didn’t seem to notice me at all so I cleared my throat to draw his attention. He looked surprised to see me.
I smiled and waved at him. He didn’t smile back, he only peered closer at me and the he whispered, “You’re not supposed to be here, you’re a girl.”
I didn’t understand but what he just said to me sounded so funny that I laughed out so loudly that a lot of people turned to look. I clamped my hand over my mouth and looked around the room and that was when I noticed.
There was no other woman in the room.
There were people in dresses, but they weren’t women, they were all men. I realized I hadn’t actually heard a woman’s voice or even laughter, all the voices I had heard since I got there were masculine but I hadn’t paid attention.
Without uttering another word or even a question, I took my purse and walked out with my head bowed, lips cursing the dimwit that had dropped the invite and hundreds of eyes on my back.

I'm also a freelancer, I can write for you (Fiction stories,novels, Ebooks and even blogposts). You can reach me here; timahbadmus@gmail.com

Check out my book: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/how_not_to_end_up_like_my_mother/45723

1 Like

Re: Flash Fiction/short Stories. by Timazi: 2:31pm On Dec 07, 2021
Here's another one:

What Happened To Taylor?

Taylor is my next door neighbor, she once used to come out to her balcony every night. I would watch her from my windows, as she sat or stood humming to different melodies that came from the streets at night. Some nights she danced wildly and drank afterwards and i would watch as she staggered back into her apartment drunk.

She is very pretty and rarely ever talks to anyone, not even me. I only know her name because a delivery man once knocked on my door to drop a package for her and then she had appeared and received her package from him, right in front of me.

She never had any friends nor visitors come to look for her either. She lived a dull, lonely life, from my own perspective. I had once thought to bake a pie and knock on her door, a way of offering to be a friend but an inner voice had stopped me, because what if she wasn’t interested in any friends or what if she was a psycho?

So, I had just stuck to watching her every night through my windows. Once or twice I think she noticed me watching her but she never did nor said anything about it.

For some months now however, she hasn’t been coming to her window, i haven’t seen her go in or come out either. I don’t know if she traveled or moved but I never saw her moving out.

No one knows where she is or what might have happened to her, we all have no one to ask because we have no information about her except her name and I happen to be the only one who knows that.

I still watch from my window every night, hoping she appears or that i just catch a glimpse of her but nothing of such has happened.

Just last night as i was about to draw my curtains close for the night, i saw the light from her apartment come on and i waited for two more hours after then to see but nothing else happened.

I’m going to be waiting again tonight, i hope she comes, then maybe i will bake that pie tomorrow.

(1) (Reply)

Blood Shed In Campus / "The Denial Of Death": An Award Winning Book By Ernest Becker / Don't Be Like Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.