Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:38 AM

Oracle DBA Corner - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Oracle DBA Corner (53477 Views)

Newbies Corner / Windows 8 Is Around The Corner / The Best Laptop Engineers Around The Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by larryoncol(m): 3:38pm On Aug 14, 2007
@CYBERBOB

COULDN'T REALLY GET WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO SAY IN YOUR LAST POST, KINDA OUT OF POINT. TRY FOLLOW UP ON THE DISCUSSION OK.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Truetalk(m): 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2007
I AM A CERTIFIED ORACLE DBA BUT I HOPE TO MEET OTHER DBA"S HERE IN NIGERIA THAT ARE CURRENTLY WORKING THAT WE CAN SHARE OUR EXPERIENCE TOGETHER AND THOSE THAT ARE WILLING TO KNOW ABOUT ORACLE CAN GETIN TOUCH WITH ME OR BETTER CAN CHAT WITH ME WITH THIS YAHOO IS rikkyzone or email me for help rikkyzone@yahoo.com.

BE VERY FREE AND OUTSPOKEN
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by femoshyguy: 11:23pm On Aug 19, 2007
pls can i get an odb certified person in the house to give me tutorials on oca/ocp as well as career advice thank u.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by sleektoe: 5:58am On Aug 20, 2007
@SLEEK_CHIC
I HAVE A PROBLM RUNNING ORACL AFTER INSTALLATION ON MY LINUX MACHINE.
AFTER RUNNING THE INVENTORY SCRIPT.
IT GETS TO A PART WHERE IT AUTOMATICALLY CHECKS THE CONFIGURED APPLICATIONS AND LOCATIONS.IT JUST RRORS OUT.THOUGHT IT WAS MY CONFIGURATION,BUT IT IS GOOD.
PLEAS HELP OUT CUZ IT SEEMS UR REALLY GOOD WITH LINUX SYSTEM
TO BE SPECIFIC RH 3
AS REGARDS SOFTWARES.IS IT POSSIBLE TO GT SOLARIES 10 AT OTIGBA
ACTUALLY HAVE A BOOK ON IT BUT DO NOT HAVE THE PLATFORM
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 12:28pm On Aug 20, 2007
I am pretty new to this stuff i have got experience with SQL server but i prefer Oracle and would like to get one or two advices from experienced folks on it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by babasin(m): 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2007
@sleektoe ,

I was in Nigeria in May. I gave some Solaris10 CD to some guys on the chat here.

May be they can make copy for you. Otherwise, downloand and burn for use.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 8:19am On Aug 22, 2007
i tried installing oracle on Red Hat Linux 9.0. It errored out with unsupported version. Can't oracle be installed Red Hat Linux 9.0?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Banderas(m): 8:31am On Aug 22, 2007
You need to get the redhat 9.0 version. It's available on the oracle site. It also depends on what version of oracle you want to install.

This is a link to oracle 9i (if you intend to download it) http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/linuxx8664soft.html

Also check on the internet for ways to install oracle on linux to get information from people who have installed it already. I used this link for assitance when I got stuck

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 9:02am On Aug 22, 2007
actually it was oracle 10g release 2
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by cabali(m): 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2007
I hope y'all is having fun here.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Harryeze(m): 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2007
Hello Folks,

I joined this forum new.
Am very much interested on Oracle Database Administration, can any one help me get started?

Harrison
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 11:36pm On Sep 03, 2007
Hi Monex,

Redhat 9 is actually not supported by oracle 10g, but you could edit your /etc/redhat-release file to be able to install. This link should help you.

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml

Don't forget to install the RPM's and dependencies.

@ sleektoe,sorry for the late reply. What version of Oracle are you installing on Red Hat. If its 10g, then u could use the link above to ensure u took the right steps. If its Oracle 9i, then you could use the link posted by Banderas. Be careful, especially when editing ur .bash_profile file . I would also need the exact error message and number to help you cos there are so many errors that could arise.

Never forget to use the net as much as you can. Its been very helpful to me.

Concerning the Solaris, Babasin actually dropped some CD's with Larryoncol. You could get a copy from him. Might be easier if you are in ABJ cos i dont know if any lagosian has been able to get any.

@Cabali, howz life. Hope u are cool. Been a while. Were u able to get the cd's from Larryoncol?

@ Babasin, howz everything. Howz ur job

@everyone, hope u are all having fun. Take care
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 8:56am On Sep 04, 2007
thanks for the information sleek_chic.

I never new Oracle only supported Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I was advised however to use it on solaris as solaris is a more popular platform for Oracle Database.

The net has been really helpful especially forums like this and more especially people like you
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by cabali(m): 9:40pm On Sep 04, 2007
it will b helpful if we all spill our issues here as experienced day after day so we can thrash it and then help others as well.

gr8, guys!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by whatnext: 2:29pm On Sep 05, 2007
@Sleek_chic,

pardon my ignorance please. What are RPMs and their dependencies? how are they installed?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by IG: 8:15pm On Sep 05, 2007
Hi guys, After seeing a lot of praises on oracle. I've finally decided that I will give a try.
I've worked with MSSQL Server, Mysql, and other lighter dbms like sqlite and access(ashamed of admitting) but
finally settled on firebird.
I will try Oracle because everybody is talking Oracle. Although it seems to me that majority of the
people talking Oracle have never tried another DBMS apart from it.

Now I've downloaded the Express Edition Of Oracle 10g from their website.
Am planning to play with it and see how it diifers from other DBMSes and if there is any significant
advantages that it offers.

I also plan to post my observations on Nairaland.

Why am posting this here is because I may need clarification from long time Oracle users in case
there is anything I got wrong.

One more thing, am talking from a software developer's viwepoint and not that of a DBA. So am relatively
free to choose the best DBMS that fits the project am working on.

Till then be cool. cool
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by IG: 8:18pm On Sep 05, 2007
whatnext:

@Sleek_chic,

pardon my ignorance please. What are RPMs and their dependencies? how are they installed?

RPM (Redhat Package Manager) rpm files are used for installing packages on linux distributions that are are based on redhat linux. They are like the setup.exe you use in windows but are not exactly the same.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by segebee(m): 5:46pm On Sep 07, 2007
on oracle on linux, there are some parameters or configs you must type in first

i got those at niit
u might see guys here who have it

Pls if anyone has a part time oracle job, i'll be glad to take it, i really want to work wt real life databases
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by cabali(m): 2:13am On Sep 08, 2007
I thought u said NIIT provides jobs in companies for their students

when I spoke words of elders to u, u wouldnt listen

who can help out please
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by segebee(m): 8:33pm On Sep 08, 2007
you were right cabali

though NIIT helped me a lot, u see they wouldn't have been able to help cos im in school
and i might not b able to combine it.

i remember dreamin about workin in the bank and how id drive my official car in school
even my friends don't know im a DBA

got introduced to web programmin at NIIT and that's my major now

so u were right, thanks a lot!

how ave u been wt oracle
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 10:58pm On Sep 08, 2007
@ monex,

Oracle does not support only red hat. It can be installed on some others like suse, etc. Not all red hat versions are supported though.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Truetalk(m): 10:59am On Sep 10, 2007
you want to create user
right? try this
create user tom
identified by win2007;

Talking bout the password file that would be done on the operatiing system level ok.

You must specify Oracle SID ok
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by olawa20(m): 11:55am On Sep 10, 2007
Does anybody know how to enable wireless connection on red hat linux in order to have other users access resources like oracle isqlplus page on it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by adepojutop(f): 4:55pm On Sep 17, 2007
Hello Fellow DBA,I must confess i have followed your conversations for a while and i must confess its really educative but cant we still feed each other with Job openings,expecially fellow landers who are already working i must confess its not easy geting started as DBA but once the first job comes u start enjoing every bit of the skill invested so much to acquire.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 7:55pm On Sep 18, 2007
i just wrote the oracle database 10g administration 1 (1z0-042) and passed with 100% score.

thanks vivienne , sleek_chic, babasin, larryoncol, cabali, sbucareer etc.

i would soon write the administration 2 (1z0-043) exam as i have been reading for it even before writing the 1z0-042.

I had an old braindump and saw about 15 new questions but i emphatically say that the sybex books i read together with refering to oracle docs helped me answer just about every question. thanks vivienne once again.

sleek_chic, i had to forget about the linux idea. i later installed solaris 10 and i am about installing oracle on it. i had problems with dd command and dual booting as i wanted the windows boot loader (my kid brothers use my PC). i rememver babasin saying something about solaris being cool for oracle.

Please lets share more
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Truetalk(m): 12:54pm On Oct 02, 2007
My fellow DBA's i need a recent OCP DUMPS
pls. I would be very greatful if anyone could forward the recent on to my email address

rikkyzone@yahoo.com
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Truetalk(m): 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2007
adepojutop:

Hello Fellow DBA,I must confess i have followed your conversations for a while and i must confess its really educative but can't we still feed each other with Job openings,expecially fellow landers who are already working i must confess its not easy geting started as DBA but once the first job comes u start enjoing every bit of the skill invested so much to acquire.

IT IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT.
IT IS NOT VERY EASY WRITTING THE WHOLE EXAMINATIONS AND YOU ARE YET TO FIND A JOB.

THANKS adepojutop IT'S A NICE SUGGESTION.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by cabali(m): 8:53am On Jan 16, 2008
I think private practice makes more sense than looking for a job in nigeria cos there just aint much around cry
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by stardeejay(m): 3:07pm On Feb 07, 2008
pls i need help on DBA in NIIT Abuja
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Truetalk(m): 11:46pm On Feb 08, 2008
how can i be of help to you?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by stardeejay(m): 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2008
what are some of the softwares i need to get on my own to help prepare for the oca and ocp exams?
pls,how can u connect me to sllek_chick or monic?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by surryg(m): 8:30pm On Feb 13, 2008
Cabali, there is no reason why you can not study at home and pass your oracle exams. I know of those who do pass at home so no fear. Just try hard and prapare very well. Good luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / Airtel 4gb Free For 1month 100naira 2015 Tweak / How To Make Google Chrome Browse More Faster With These 4 Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.