Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,514 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA (2682 Views)

Man Kneels Down To Thank God He Left Nigeria For The UK / What Are Top Skills I Need To Learn Before Leaving For USA? / Nigerian Man Reveals Why He Dumped His High Paying Job To Relocate To Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by slimanyd: 12:48pm On Dec 08, 2021
Unibenfucker:

Nawoah how can she work 20hrs and can't afford to pay her rent

grin Imagine o bro . Some people just like to dey sugarcoat things .
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by TheEnforcer: 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2021
Unibenfucker:

Nawoah how can she work 20hrs and can't afford to pay her rent
Don't mind him.Hows that possible?I can understand it might be difficult to settle down when you don't have anybody there but the guy is exaggerating
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by neurosci: 12:19am On Dec 09, 2021
Brexxit:
I guess she's into minimum wage jobs $7.25 per hr over there in the USA.

Advise her to go for skilled or professional jobs,with this she can live comfortably there.If she doesn't have a degree let her go to university or get a skill.

She made the best decision of her life moving to the USA.

She went on a tourist visa. Do you realize she is actually illegal and therefore cannot switch to a professional job? She is not authorized to do any type of work, including the minimum wage job she is doing illegally.

2 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by klawaaa: 12:25am On Dec 09, 2021
Have you yourself made the best decision to move to the USA? You know seen is believing!
Brexxit:
I guess she's into minimum wage jobs $7.25 per hr over there in the USA.

Advise her to go for skilled or professional jobs,with this she can live comfortably there.If she doesn't have a degree let her go to university or get a skill.

She made the best decision of her life moving to the USA.

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by neurosci: 12:26am On Dec 09, 2021
Gerrard59:

Assuming the story is true (which is not true itself, just an assumption), the bold is entirely untrue. Someone in his/her 30s c[b]an start from the top by getting an MBA from a top-20 school in the US or getting an L-1 visa from a US-based company in Nigeria and moving to a similar position in the US or getting a JD from a top law school. Or a PhD from a good school and enter corporate America. [/b]

Going back to school is not starting from the top. A student is not at the top. You get to the top after school, not while you are a student. Top-20 MBA, do you know how much she'd need in student loans which she may not even qualify for? How many years before he/she finishes a Ph.D and then enter corporate America? How many Ph.D's are even in corporate America? How is it starting from the top when you spend your first five years studying rigorously and barely earning minimum wage from research assistantship?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by GboyegaD(m): 12:29am On Dec 09, 2021
Hmm....What part of Houston is she that she works 20 hours and still cannot afford to pay rent. If things are that hard, she doesn't need your advice on what to do since she can book a flight back home.

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by GboyegaD(m): 1:33am On Dec 09, 2021
ednut1:
google under the table jobs

She can't survive under the table like that since they are overworked. Either the writer or the lady is exergerating.

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by GboyegaD(m): 1:34am On Dec 09, 2021
Gerrard59:
Another episode on What Never Happened.

No sensible individual who earns N1M in Nigeria (to earn such in Nigeria means the person has at least two degrees and some industry certifications) will relocate to the US on a tourist visa, none whatsoever. Not when the Canada exodus fever reverberates across corporate Nigeria. Worse still, in her mid-40s? grin OP is one of those cretinous fvcktards who wants to discourage young and ambitious Nigerians from fleeing the country. Don't be surprised he is a newly recruited staff of the BMCs wink

FAKE NEWS

Are you sure I guess you need to hear some people's stories though. Some have enough information and we'll planned thought before leaving naija.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Nobody: 2:11am On Dec 09, 2021
Skybridge33:
A friend of mine called me last week, she resigned from a high paying job working for a Telecom company in Nigeria to move to America with her two kids. Before she left she was doing okay, her salary was over a million, her kids went to the best schools in Lagos and she bought a plot of land in lekki. She sha want to leave Nigeria and japa even though she was in her mid forties and can't hustle like before. She got a tourist visa and left with her kids.
Now she's complaining even after advising her not to leave as she was average rich here before she left . Now she lives in a one bedroom apartment in a ghetto area of Houston. She works 20 hrs a day doing two jobs and she still doesn't make enough money to pay her rent, the landlord will chase her out anytime. Now she's complaining that things are hard and she wants to come back to Nigeria. What should I tell her, everybody wants to japa thinking life is better there. Eventually when they get there, instant regret it's cold, the people are unfriendly and even the blacks there are racist to Africans.

Please tell her to come back, she should bring her kids back & there is no shame in it. She can always strategize on how she can move abroad with a legal type of Visa. She should come back & reinstate her 1Million Naira job.

Moving abroad is very hard if you do it illegally. People live average life and a lot are not or never happy. Even people who moved to US on a HB1 Visa have been on the queue for Green Card for years. US is the worst place an immigrant can move to illegally, It is a land of slavery for anyone who doesn't have proper documents.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by ednut1(m): 2:15am On Dec 09, 2021
Gerrard59:
Another episode on What Never Happened.

No sensible individual who earns N1M in Nigeria (to earn such in Nigeria means the person has at least two degrees and some industry certifications) will relocate to the US on a tourist visa, none whatsoever. Not when the Canada exodus fever reverberates across corporate Nigeria. Worse still, in her mid-40s? grin OP is one of those cretinous fvcktards who wants to discourage young and ambitious Nigerians from fleeing the country. Don't be surprised he is a newly recruited staff of the BMCs wink

FAKE NEWS
unfortunately many Nigerians earning good salary did this and are still doing it. Not everyone qualifies for Canada or wants to go through all the process na. Majority of Nigerians went to usa with tourist visa and never came back. There are people who have houses in lekki and went to usa then crossed to Canada to claim fake assylum. Even politician pikin dey do am.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Nobody: 2:21am On Dec 09, 2021
neurosci:

Going back to school is not starting from the top. A student is not at the top. You get to the top after school, not while you are a student. Top-20 MBA, do you know how much she'd need in student loans which she may not even qualify for? How many years before he/she finishes a Ph.D and then enter corporate America? How many Ph.D's are even in corporate America? How is it starting from the top when you spend your first five years studying rigorously and barely earning minimum wage from research assistantship?

IMO, even the Ph.D can be very worthless in the corporate America, In recent years IT professionals thrive on certifications and professional courses, if she is in IT & Telecom's industry, it would mean there are many professional certifications she has to do. That 5 years she would spend in school is better off gaining more work experience in Nigeria and writing professional certifications, then plan for One Year Canada PG diploma.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by damzy88: 2:31am On Dec 09, 2021
Gerrard59:

Assuming the story is true (which is not true itself, just an assumption), the bold is entirely untrue. Someone in his/her 30s can start from the top by getting an MBA from a top-20 school in the US or getting an L-1 visa from a US-based company in Nigeria and moving to a similar position in the US or getting a JD from a top law school. Or a PhD from a good school and enter corporate America.

Nice
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by neurosci: 2:39am On Dec 09, 2021
truthsayer009:

IMO, even the Ph.D can be very worthless in the corporate America, In recent years IT professionals thrive on certifications and professional courses, if she is in IT & Telecom's industry, it would mean there are many professional certifications she has to do. That 5 years she would spend in school is better off gaining more work experience in Nigeria and writing professional certifications, then plan for One Year Canada PG diploma.

Right. A PhD is not a route to make money. PhDs are for people who are passionate about research or teaching. Many PhD holders become college professors are they are grossly underpaid for their worth. Most of their earnings come from their research grants rather than salaries. A computer science professor at Harvard, for example, earns less than a computer science entry level employee at Google who graduated from the same Harvard. I tell people, do a PhD only if you’re passionate about it. That isn’t something you go into because you’re trying to break into the corporate space.

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by kpolli(m): 2:46am On Dec 09, 2021
Skybridge33:
A friend of mine called me last week, she resigned from a high paying job working for a Telecom company in Nigeria to move to America with her two kids. Before she left she was doing okay, her salary was over a million, her kids went to the best schools in Lagos and she bought a plot of land in lekki. She sha want to leave Nigeria and japa even though she was in her mid forties and can't hustle like before. She got a tourist visa and left with her kids.
Now she's complaining even after advising her not to leave as she was average rich here before she left . Now she lives in a one bedroom apartment in a ghetto area of Houston. She works 20 hrs a day doing two jobs and she still doesn't make enough money to pay her rent, the landlord will chase her out anytime. Now she's complaining that things are hard and she wants to come back to Nigeria. What should I tell her, everybody wants to japa thinking life is better there. Eventually when they get there, instant regret it's cold, the people are unfriendly and even the blacks there are racist to Africans.

She's working illegally, if she had moved the right way; she will be enjoying. Her resume would have gotten her a better job
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Bifwoli: 2:56am On Dec 09, 2021
Skybridge33:
Tis unrealistic to think she'd just come over and make her life fantastic overnight.You have to toil and make your way up.She's a victim of her very own designs,miscalculations & faulty engineering.

When i came over to USA i'm glad that,unlike many immigrants,i didn't have unrealistically high expectations thinking money will grow from trees and my life would be paradise overnight.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by dasparrow: 5:07am On Dec 09, 2021
Skybridge33:

So let me start by saying that your friend is working 20 hours A WEEK and not a day. No one works 20 hours a day and even if such people exist, they are very few who may do that. As a result, the money she is making working part time is not enough to pay rent. Rent in America can be expensive depending on where you live. There are people who are working full time which is 40 hours a week and yet can't make rent because they are struck in low income jobs. Currently, inflation in America has caused the prices of items including food and rent to keep soaring.

Another thing I want to point out is that your friend lacks wisdom for someone who is in her mid-forties. I can understand giving up a well paying job in Nigeria if you are going to America with a green card in hand. But to give up a 1 million Naira a month job in Nigeria and move to America illegally with children is foolhardy at best. Why would she leave such a great paying job for a life of uncertainty in America as an illegal immigrant? Did she not do her homework? Did she not do her research on America? If she really wants to know the real deal about America, she should visit YouTube or Quora because that is where you will find Americans that will tell you what is really going on in America. Nairaland is not a good place to learn about America because most Nigerians are NOT truthful about life in America and in other western countries.

Right now, even if your friend were to find someone that will be willing to marry her for green card, U.S immigration will still mandate that she goes back home and wait in Nigeria for a final decision to be made regarding her permanent residency permit because she came to America on a tourist visa, flaunted the rules that apply to her visa category and then overstayed. Gone are the days that you could come to America on a tourist visa, overstay your visa, marry an American citizen and change your status from illegal immigrant to permanent resident. It does not work that way anymore. And when they tell her to go back to Nigeria, there is still a possibility that her application for permanent residency could be denied even if she married an American because immigration may have cause to believe that she married that person for green card.

There are people who have lived in America 20 years now and they are still not yet able to legalize their stay. So the point I am making is that things are going to be very difficult for her because she does not have the legal right to reside and work in the United States. This pandemic has also made things more difficult because you just never know when they might decide to institute another lockdown.

Those saying your friend made a good decision to migrate illegally have clearly never stepped foot outside of Nigeria or Africa or lived in the United States. Without a social security card, your friend cannot work legally. Without a social security card, she cannot open a bank account. Without a social security card, she cannot get a drivers license. If an employer decides to swindle her of her salary knowing fully well that she does not have papers to legally reside and work in the United States, she will not be able to report the case to the police because when they find out she in an illegal immigrant, she risks deportation.

Sincerely speaking, I won't advise anyone with a decent paying job in Nigeria to throw all that away and migrate illegally because it can take years to get your papers and sometimes, you won't get them at all even after decades spent in that country as an illegal immigrant. Western countries are constantly changing their immigration rules and each time they make amendments to their immigration rules, they make the rules more stringent. So many Nigerians are stuck abroad wallowing in hopelessness. They don't have their papers. They can't come back to Nigeria and are finding it difficult to legalize their stay abroad. Yet, Nigerians like your friend think they can outsmart America's immigration system.

My advise is, if your friend can get her job back, she should move back to Nigeria ASAP. If she cannot get her job back, she will have to make a decision on the way forward. As someone who considers America my second home, I can tell you for free that America is hell if you don't have a work permit, green card or citizenship that permits you to reside and work in America legally. Those children should not have to suffer due to your friend's stupid mistake. Like your friend rightly said, the weather does get cold this time of year because we are in the winter and yes, Americans are not very friendly and yes, anyone who is an African and has ever lived in America for an extended period of time knows that most Black Americans generally don't like Africans and treat Africans with hostility and disdain when they meet us because they claim we sold their ancestors into slavery. They are too dumb to realize that this generation of Africans were not walking the surface of the earth 500 years ago when the transatlantic slave trade was taking place in full force.

Anyway, whatever your friend decides, I wish her good luck because your friend has entered one chance. I am very conversant with U.S Immigration law so I know that it will be difficult for her to change her status from illegal immigrant to legal immigrant without being told to go back home. My sister who is a U.S citizen had filed for her husband who is an illegal immigrant already residing in America. Guess what immigration told the couple? They told them that her husband has to return back to Nigeria and wait in Nigeria for a decision to be made regarding his permanent residency application. So e no easy as before. All the best to your friend though.

3 Likes

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by yunqdady: 5:29am On Dec 09, 2021
Skybridge33:
Japa on tourist visa, why won't she cry?
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Gerrard59(m): 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2021
ednut1:
unfortunately many Nigerians earning good salary did this and are still doing it. Not everyone qualifies for Canada or wants to go through all the process na. Majority of Nigerians went to usa with tourist visa and never came back. There are people who have houses in lekki and went to usa then crossed to Canada to claim fake assylum. Even politician pikin dey do am.

Anything they see, they should take it like that. I'll never encourage illegal migration especially as a black African. Na sufferhead don start so

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Gerrard59(m): 12:16pm On Dec 09, 2021
neurosci:

While you're right about a PhD not leading to immediate wealth after studies, it's entirely dependent on the industry as some industries rate PhDs higher than others. Also, if you recheck, I mentioned an L-1 visa especially for someone who is in a managerial position.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by TheEnforcer: 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2021
dasparrow:

So let me start by saying that your friend is working 20 hours A WEEK and not a day. No one works 20 hours a day and even if such people exist, they are very few who may do that. As a result, the money she is making working part time is not enough to pay rent. Rent in America can be expensive depending on where you live. There are people who are working full time which is 40 hours a week and yet can't make rent because they are struck in low income jobs. Currently, inflation in America has caused the prices of items including food and rent to keep soaring.

Another thing I want to point out is that your friend lacks wisdom for someone who is in her mid-forties. I can understand giving up a well paying job in Nigeria if you are going to America with a green card in hand. But to give up a 1 million Naira a month job in Nigeria and move to America illegally with children is foolhardy at best. Why would she leave such a great paying job for a life of uncertainty in America as an illegal immigrant? Did she not do her homework? Did she not do her research on America? If she really wants to know the real deal about America, she should visit YouTube or Quora because that is where you will find Americans that will tell you what is really going on in America. Nairaland is not a good place to learn about America because most Nigerians are NOT truthful about life in America and in other western countries.

Right now, even if your friend were to find someone that will be willing to marry her for green card, U.S immigration will still mandate that she goes back home and wait in Nigeria for a final decision to be made regarding her permanent residency permit because she came to America on a tourist visa, flaunted the rules that apply to her visa category and then overstayed. Gone are the days that you could come to America on a tourist visa, overstay your visa, marry an American citizen and change your status from illegal immigrant to permanent resident. It does not work that way anymore. And when they tell her to go back to Nigeria, there is still a possibility that her application for permanent residency could be denied even if she married an American because immigration may have cause to believe that she married that person for green card.

There are people who have lived in America 20 years now and they are still not yet able to legalize their stay. So the point I am making is that things are going to be very difficult for her because she does not have the legal right to reside and work in the United States. This pandemic has also made things more difficult because you just never know when they might decide to institute another lockdown.

Those saying your friend made a good decision to migrate illegally have clearly never stepped foot outside of Nigeria or Africa or lived in the United States. Without a social security card, your friend cannot work legally. Without a social security card, she cannot open a bank account. Without a social security card, she cannot get a drivers license. If an employer decides to swindle her of her salary knowing fully well that she does not have papers to legally reside and work in the United States, she will not be able to report the case to the police because when they find out she in an illegal immigrant, she risks deportation.

Sincerely speaking, I won't advise anyone with a decent paying job in Nigeria to throw all that away and migrate illegally because it can take years to get your papers and sometimes, you won't get them at all even after decades spent in that country as an illegal immigrant. Western countries are constantly changing their immigration rules and each time they make amendments to their immigration rules, they make the rules more stringent. So many Nigerians are stuck abroad wallowing in hopelessness. They don't have their papers. They can't come back to Nigeria and are finding it difficult to legalize their stay abroad. Yet, Nigerians like your friend think they can outsmart America's immigration system.

My advise is, if your friend can get her job back, she should move back to Nigeria ASAP. If she cannot get her job back, she will have to make a decision on the way forward. As someone who considers America my second home, I can tell you for free that America is hell if you don't have a work permit, green card or citizenship that permits you to reside and work in America legally. Those children should not have to suffer due to your friend's stupid mistake. Like your friend rightly said, the weather does get cold this time of year because we are in the winter and yes, Americans are not very friendly and yes, anyone who is an African and has ever lived in America for an extended period of time knows that most Black Americans generally don't like Africans and treat Africans with hostility and disdain when they meet us because they claim we sold their ancestors into slavery. They are too dumb to realize that this generation of Africans were not walking the surface of the earth 500 years ago when the transatlantic slave trade was taking place in full force.

Anyway, whatever your friend decides, I wish her good luck because your friend has entered one chance. I am very conversant with U.S Immigration law so I know that it will be difficult for her to change her status from illegal immigrant to legal immigrant without being told to go back home. My sister who is a U.S citizen had filed for her husband who is an illegal immigrant already residing in America. Guess what immigration told the couple? They told them that her husband has to return back to Nigeria and wait in Nigeria for a decision to be made regarding his permanent residency application. So e no easy as before. All the best to your friend though.
There is no way immigration will tell anyone to go back home when trying to adjust your status. It is only when you enter without inspection , those that crosses the border illegally that you will be asked to go home.And even then the person can obtain a waiver, so that he won't be subject to the ten year ban .in this case, the person flies back home, and then comes back to adjust.IT IS ONLY THE PEOPLE WHO CROSSED THE BORDER ILLEGALLY THAT ARE NOT ABLE TO ADJUST.EVERY OTHER PERSON CAN IF MARRIED TO A CITIZEN AND XAN PROVE THAT THE MARRIAGE IS BONAFIDE.YOUR SISTERS HUSBAND CROSSED THE BORDER ILLEGALLY, WITHOUT BEING INSPECTED BY CBP AGENTS AND STAMPED IN.immigration lawyers can still help him with a waiver though

1 Like

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by GboyegaD(m): 3:42pm On Dec 09, 2021
truthsayer009:

Not true. Myself and many of my colleagues and friend in corporate America do not feel that way. Most often than not, the tenacity from graduate school days has been of help when working on daunting projects.
Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Deffjam: 5:57pm On Dec 09, 2021
Charles61:

Could you please share us the season 2?
Hmmm tourist visa?
Someone who is well educated and rich. Would be fool enough to go and work in US with tourist visa, and even resigned.

When will Nigeria stop fabrication stories and start giving young people an education information with fact. I just tired for this country called Nigeria
you said my mind,this story is 100% haox, the op is among the people that will go any length to discourage potential immigrant.
How can a sensible person, relocate with a tourist visa.

I have aquired enough information on nairaland to travel legally when the time comes..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: She Left A High Paying Job In Nigeria For USA by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 09, 2021
GboyegaD:

Not true. Myself and many of my colleagues and friend in corporate America do not feel that way. Most often than not, the tenacity from graduate school days has been of help when working on daunting projects.

Alright if you say so, maybe I was biased in my opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ghastly Container Accident At Mile 2 Durban Junction Incapacitate A Lady !!! / Canada Permanent Resident Card, Advise Pls / Ghana Vs Nigeria,compare And Contrast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.