Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Aramotu Yanked Off The Cinemas-is This Not Discriminatory? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Aramotu Yanked Off The Cinemas-is This Not Discriminatory? (1377 Views)

Kunle Afolayan’s October 1 Movie Set For Cinemas / Flower Girl Movie hits the Cinemas on Valentines Day / Only Three Nigerian Movies Worth Seeing At The Cinemas In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aramotu Yanked Off The Cinemas-is This Not Discriminatory? by wandyvirus(m): 12:20am On Jun 12, 2011
The Movie Aramotu which has won critical aclaim has been yanked off the cinemas. The movie,one historical in nature has Kayode Odumosu [/b]and[b] Peter Fatomilola bringing years of acting experience into their roles while the young[b] Gabriel Afolayan[/b] shows that he is not that far behind. Another feat for the film is its subtitling, which is nearly flawless and on point, with efforts made to translate incantations and Yoruba words with deep meanings.In addition, the proper Yoruba language suited to the period and the people was spoken by all the characters throughout the movie with very few slip-ups.
This treatment of the Yoruba language movies is a trend i have noticed at the cinemas lately. Whereas "Tango with me " has been showing in he last 2 months,"Eti keta" did not spend three weeks before it was yanked. Aramotu is the latest of this trends. I sought to find out why at the Ozone cinema and i was told they don't do Nigerian movie more than three weeks.i pointed out that "Tango with me" and "Ije" ARE Nigerian;The Ozone staff told me that Aramotu was not doing too well and only started doing well four days ago. I totally understand that running a cinema is serious business and it is capitalist in nature,however if the claim is that it was beginning to do well(as evidenced by the number of us who came to see the movie) why put it out. I reasoned along this lines and he responded that Nigerians don't like seeing Yoruba movies.Here we are about 20 of us wants to see the movie and we are all(i'm sure) Nigerians! How do you give us a chance at our own?When will our own come of age if there are not given the chance to compete? I called my Cousin who stared in the movie and she gave me some insight into what goes on behind the scene when they are negotiation a placement of really good movies in the cinemas.Her revelations are very sicking and i think it's time we fight against this. And yes i am interested cos she is my Cousin.I have also seen all of the Nigerian Movies showing at the cinema at the times they ran. So it goes beyond my cousin and it's more about our culture our own. LETS SPEAK OUT!
Re: Aramotu Yanked Off The Cinemas-is This Not Discriminatory? by hollandis(f): 1:55am On Jun 13, 2011
sharaaaap bleeping tribalist

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Movie For Every Mood, As M-net Expands Movie Offerings With 6 New Channels / Winner Of First Hausa Reality Show To Get N2.5m / Nollywood Movie Reviews By Kemi Filani: Married But Living Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.