Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company (277 Views)

Nigerian Startup Bill Signed Into Law By President Buhari / The Unluckiest Man In The World: Meet The Apple Founder Who Sold His Shares For / Nigeria’s Startup Scene Is Buzzing With These 5 Tech St (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company by rexwalters: 10:53pm On Dec 07, 2021
Equinix, a California-based provider of internet and data center services, announced today (Dec. 7) that it will buy MainOne, the first private company to land a submarine cable company in west Africa, in a $320 million deal that highlights Africa’s growing internet-driven economy.

Based in Nigeria, MainOne started laying its 7,000 km fibre optic cable network that stretches from Portugal to South Africa in 2008, launching it two years later. In the decade since, the company has grown from a startup providing internet to Nigerian businesses, homes, internet service providers, and large telecom operators like MTN and Airtel, to a pan-African company covering 10 countrieS.

Key MainOne assets that will now belong to Equinix as a result of the deal include three operational data centers and one under construction expected to open in the first quarter of 2022. One other asset is Funke Opeke, MainOne’s founder and CEO, who will continue in her role.

MainOne’s exit validates Opeke’s big risk

Opeke returned to Nigeria in 2005 after a twenty-year telecoms career that saw her become an executive at Verizon. But at the time of her return, the internet was nascent and expensive in Nigeria with huge infrastructure costs for service providers. After a plan to privatize Nigeria’s now defunct state telephone company (NITEL) fell through, Opeke turned her attention to the difficult challenge of landing west Africa’s first private submarine cable

As she tells it, there was initial skepticism even from one of those who would later become a MainOne’s founding shareholders. But the company sparked to life after raising $240 million from a number of Nigerian banks, the Africa Finance Corporation, and the Africa Development Bank (AfDB.)

MainOne has since been the internet service provider for 800 business-to-business companies, and has especially partnered with organisations like Co-creation Hub that have been integral to Nigeria’s thriving tech scene. At Decagon, a Lagos-based software engineering training institute, MainOne provides the internet service that ensures students have constant up-time.

It portends a brighter future for internet adoption in Africa, to accelerate the spread of internet-based services like internet banking, ecommerce, and even an exciting rise of independent digitally-native creators on TikTok and other platforms.

Last year, Paystack’s acquisition by Stripe was the landmark M&A deal in African tech. Though MainOne has sold for more money, it was founded at least five years before Paystack and raised much more from investors than the $9.3 million Paystack did. Most reactions to the deal praise Opeke—who has played a leading role in shaping Nigeria’s national broadband plan—for running and selling a very profitable company, while some have speculated whether Equinix’s offer price undervalues the company.

But for Brown, MainOne’s sale is another indicator of exponential growth in Africa’s startup sector, and a case for more long-term funding for tech ventures in Africa.

This deal to me demonstrates the power and flexibility that equity funding gives African founders, allowing them to reinvest in their businesses and play a long game. Funke played the long game and built an impactful business.”

Re: A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company by ActuaRise696969: 10:57pm On Dec 07, 2021
I got to get off all ISPs and and get Starlinks sat internet. Don't trust these government backed companies with my node
Re: A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company by SavageResponse(m): 7:35am On Dec 08, 2021
ActuaRise696969:
I got to get off all ISPs and and get Starlinks sat internet. Don't trust these government backed companies with my node

My friend keep quiet if you don't know what to say? MainOne does not have any government money in it's equity!
Re: A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company by ActuaRise696969: 12:19pm On Dec 08, 2021
SavageResponse:

My friend keep quiet if you don't know what to say? MainOne does not have any government money in it's equity!

Your parents were stupid not to raise you well. Equinix is backed by the Seven Sisters you mor0n.
Re: A Founder Who’s Been Pivotal To The Nigerian Startup Scene Will Sell Her Company by SavageResponse(m): 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2021
ActuaRise696969:

Your parents were stupid not to raise you well. Equinix is backed by the Seven Sisters you mor0n.

It's already clear that the spirit of imbecility is firmly rooted in your family from your great grand parents on both paternal and maternal sides and will say with you till your tenth generation!

(1) (Reply)

Am I Been Cheated / 6 Most Suitable Sea Shipping Type For You. / Mushroom Farming Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.