Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,555 members, 7,819,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam (766 Views)

INTERVIEW 101. A Book For Every Job Seeker Out There To Ace Their Next Interview / ICAN Intensive Liveclass Replay Link Plus Exam Secret Success Tips / You Can Get #10,000 Or More By Just Helping Your Community. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam by kassyware: 5:28pm On Dec 08, 2021
The 11 Plus Exam is a competitive entrance examination. This exam is usually taken towards the end of Year 6 to get into Year 7 in a grammar school. While this exam may not be compulsory anymore, many parents in the UK still wish to have their child sit the exam to get into the best grammar schools.

Are you one of those parents who want their child to take and ace the 11+ exam but don't know what you can do to help, don't worry! We will guide you in choosing the suitable 11 Plus Tuition in Aylesbury.

We're here to share with you some of the most excellent tips through which you can help your child pass their 11 plus exam.

Examine your options

While it might be tempting to bombard your child with unnecessary information and textbook knowledge, doing a little research of your own can be a good idea as it would save both time and energy. The internet is currently filled with thousands of web pages providing information regarding the 11 plus exam. Luckily, you don't have to spend hours going through every detail as we're here to sum it all up for you.

So, the first thing that you need to do is decide whether you want to prepare your child for the exam yourself or do you want to hire a tutor?

There are many excellent online tuition centers in High Wycombe, London, Manchester and other towns in the UK. These tutoring companies provide the best tutors, training programs and preparatory exam sessions for students of all classes.

Now, whether you choose to go with online tutoring or the good old DIY, it's important that you have enough information about both options.

Hiring an Online Tutor

If you're like most modern parents who don't have enough time on their hands to help their children with homework and examinations, online tutoring might be a life-saver for you. Nonetheless, with so many options around, how can you know which one to pick?

How to choose the best online tutoring company for your child's 11 plus exam preparation?

The task of selecting schools or tutors for your children can become challenging at times, but with the right knowledge, you can make a good decision for your child's education. While choosing an online tutoring service, there are certain things that should be kept in mind.

Legitimacy

With more options, there are always more chances of running into a scam. Therefore, checking for the legitimacy of an online tutoring company should be the first course of action. Many legitimate online tutoring companies in the UK have a history of teaching and preparing children for their 11 Plus exam. For this purpose, it is good to read reviews or talk to fellow parents using such services.

Expertise

Teaching children is not an easy job, especially when preparing them for a competitive exam. Therefore, parents need to go for an online tutoring company with the most expert teachers and faculty. Experienced tutors have better chances of generating good results even in not-so-academically able children. So, whether your child is a genius or not-so-sharp, it is always a good idea to put them in the hands of expert teachers.

One-to-one sessions

The entire purpose of getting additional help from online tutoring is to help your child learn what he might not have been able to understand in school. School classrooms are crowded places, and one teacher can't pay equal attention to each student. Therefore, when you're planning to get some extra help, you have to make sure that you're going for a tutoring service that offers one-to-one sessions for your child. One-to-one sessions provide your child with the teacher's undivided attention and time. Similarly, tutors are better able to understand a child's needs and requirements in these sessions.

Compatibility

You can pick the country's best tutoring service with experts and one-to-one sessions, but all your effort will go down the drain if there's no learning and teaching compatibility between your child and the tutor. For this reason, it is necessary that you have a meeting with the tutor beforehand and communicate all your child's needs and learning patterns. It is also advised that you ask the tutor about their teaching styles and lesson delivery methodologies. If you think that a particular tutor or tutoring company might not be able to address your child's needs, then there's no point in moving forward.

Try it before you buy it.

Online tutoring can sometimes waste your time and money; therefore, test drives are not only essential before buying a new car but also before choosing an online tutor for your child. Many online tutoring companies have started to provide students with free trial periods where they can attend classes for free and leave at the end of the trial period if it doesn't work for them. This way, if your child does not seem to make any progress and the tutoring sessions proves to be unfruitful, you can easily opt-out and try some other options.

Now that we've covered some ground rules for selecting an online tutoring company for your child's 11 plus exam preparation, it is time we help those parents who want to prepare their child for the exam themselves.

How do I prepare my child for the 11 Plus Exam myself?

Every parent wants to see their child succeed; however, with the rising academic pressure and competition, it can become challenging for some parents to prepare their children for competitive exams themselves.

Are you one of those parents who don't want to take help from any tutor and wish to prepare your child for the exam yourself but are struggling to start? Then you're at the right place.

Following are the five tips that you can use to prepare your child for the exam yourself.

Start early

The smartest thing you can do for the preparation of the 11 plus exam is to start early. The ideal time to start prepping your child is around Year 4. This way, your child can develop all the necessary skills such as creative writing, grammar, vocabulary, addition, subtraction, division and analytical and critical reasoning, which will be useful for the exam.

Do your homework

Before you ask your child to memories every little piece of knowledge there is in the primary school books; you must do your complete research on the 11 plus exam. While the exam structure may vary depending upon the area of the country you're in, the core content remains the same. The 11 plus exam consists of 4 major subjects, including; English, Maths, Verbal reasoning and Non-verbal reasoning. Therefore, while teaching, your main focus should be on these subjects.

Another important thing to remember is that there are currently two main exam boards in the UK that conduct the 11 plus exams each year, the first being the CEM and the second GL Assessment. It is your responsibility to make sure which exam board is being used by your desired grammar school. Not knowing this beforehand can badly affect your child's chances of passing the exam.

Get hold of the practice papers.

While it might be possible to prepare your child for the simple Maths and English questions using their textbooks, it can be tricky to teach them how to answer verbal and non-verbal reasoning questions successfully. For this reason, having practice papers can help you in familiarizing your child with the repeated questions and the techniques used in answering them correctly.

Encourage reading

If you didn't start preparing your child in Year 4, it is now time to develop a habit of reading. Motivating your child to read every day can help boost their vocabulary along with teaching the correct use of grammar and sentence structure. A child that can write his answers using correct vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure has significantly higher chances of passing the 11 plus exam.

Set a time and place

Studying at the same time every day can help form a learning routine. Children who have a daily learning routine have an easier time concentrating and engaging in the lesson. While you're preparing your child for the exam, it is crucial that you reserve a quiet corner in the house solely for teaching and learning. This means eliminating all the distracting elements that can divert your or your child's attention away from the exam preparation.

Prepare, practice, repeat.

Lastly, the key to acing the 11 plus exam is a lot of practice and then some more. Until your child passes the exam, never skip a preparatory learning session. Frequent practice and repetitive learning can help your child comprehend complex lessons and achieve better grades in exams.

To wrap it all up, passing the 11 plus exam might seem like a challenge at first. However, with the right planning and preparation, every parent can help them ace the 11 plus exams.
Re: Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam by CrazyJill: 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2021
If you are a student preparing for exams can be difficult. Especially when there is a lot of homework to be done. In these cases, the smart solution is to find some service that will help you do your homework and save you time. For example, I can recommend you one really reliable service where you can find help with biology assignments. Here you can find Biology Homework Help Online AssignBiology.com Try it, I think this is a great option for you.
Re: Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam by dertaikaaa: 6:10pm On Dec 11, 2021
Hi! I could really use a really great tutor recommend the best one, thanks in advance guys! I will be very grateful!
Re: Helping Your Child Ace Their 11 Plus Exam by hisokuuu: 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2021
A couple of years ago I wanted to start tutoring, but at some point I changed my mind. But now this desire has awakened in me again and I decided to find out more about this, in order to know where to start. While I was looking, I came across a website with tutoring rates. I was interested to find out how things are in online tutoring and there was some useful information. I hope you find it useful too!

(1) (Reply)

Grand Cereal Limited 2022 Graduate Trainee Program. / How To Japa / Devil's Tongue: The Scam Of Speaking In Tongues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.