Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits (10470 Views)

Employees, Are We Going To See You In January Abi O Ti Lo / Reasons Why Employees Leave Your Business / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Qtsnow(m): 9:32pm On Dec 08, 2021
Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 reasons why employees are calling it quits

There is currently a mismatch between what employees want and what employers can provide. This has caused millions of workers worldwide to resign from their jobs, demanding better pay, remote work options, good working conditions and work-life balance.

This trend is called “The Great Resignation” or “The Big Quit”, giving employees the upper hand and employers facing a massive talent crunch. So we can’t help but ask, how can employers find and retain top talent in the age of this worldwide trend?

Jobberman Nigeria, Sub-Saharan Africa’s top recruitment portal, has recently shared its findings from conversations they’ve had with thousands of employees across the country over the last several months. The results have been compiled in a power-packed report tagged THE EMPLOYEE SATISFACTION REPORT
It covers expectations and workplace satisfaction data of over 2,700 employees from various industries and job categories.

This article discusses five reasons why employees are quitting their jobs and how to boost retention -

Lack of flexibility - The COVID-19 pandemic has allowed workers to rethink their careers, work conditions, and long-term goals. As many workplaces attempted to bring their employees in person, workers desired to work from home during and after the pandemic. With telecommuting also came schedule flexibility, which was the primary reason to look for a new job. Additionally, many workers, particularly in younger cohorts, are seeking to gain a better work-life balance.

Insufficient benefits - More and more workers are realising the value of their time and efforts. They do not only recognise but are demanding good benefits and remuneration. An excellent job experience isn’t just about salary but the total package, including paid leave, health care, bonuses, rewards, and so much more. When these factors don’t meet the standard, employees tend to feel unappreciated and undervalued.

Toxic work-culture- It should come as no surprise that unhappy employees are more likely to quit than happy ones, and research shows that this is indeed the case. The younger generation is beginning to value peace of mind over money, so consider this when structuring your working environment.

Lack of career growth and development - The lack of career growth and development can be considered a key reason why employees exit their previous companies. Nobody likes feeling stuck and stagnant, so for them to get new opportunities, they will look for them somewhere else if your company doesn’t provide it.

Image 1
Job satisfaction Quota as contained in the Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report 2021

HOW TO BOOST EMPLOYEE RETENTION
Image 2
Top External Traits that matter most in the company as contained in the Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report 2021

The forces at play in the labour market don’t necessarily apply to every industry, so workers should do their own research about their field before leaving a job. Companies also need to get on the same page with employees by reconceptualizing what it means to be part of their organization.

Watch as some HR experts share their views on this topic and suggest ways companies can improve employee retention based on our new Employee Satisfaction survey report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSI50ryH6Q

Featuring - Aramide, Recruitment Lead at Flutterwave; Temi Richard Banji, Head of Talent acquisition at Mastercard Foundation; Sheila Ojei, Communications Manager, Jobberman Nigeria (Host); Idris Abdulgafar, Head of Human Resources, Jobberman Nigeria.

The Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report unpacks employee satisfaction among Nigerian employees. It can be used as a guideline to prioritise employee satisfaction in the workplace and improve productivity and overall long-term organisational success.

- TechPoint - Are employers the real superpower in the recruitment industry? (Who has the power? Employers Vs Employees)
- Nairametrics - XXXX of Women are going to leave their jobs in the next six months and here's why (Use stats from report)
- TechCabal - The Great Resignation: And what it means for Nigerian Employers.

Source -

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Froshloaded: 9:08am On Dec 09, 2021
Lmao, there is nothing like loyalty, when you know you can be laid off anytime..

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Mko123(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2021
Sincerely speaking, this thread is more than what many nairalander can comprehend.
Swear

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by tillaman(m): 9:08am On Dec 09, 2021
Hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by elmessiahs(m): 9:09am On Dec 09, 2021
; D grin grin grin
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by yuzjet(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2021
Government has made everything difficult for anyone already. Then there are the employers that feels like demigods making you feel like you can't do without the peanuts they pay you for your time and value.

Employers are only loyal to the value you give them, and want to pay less for high value as much as they can.

Until when employers appreciate values, respect employees that are the main sources of the values that promote whatever they have and doesn't see money/salary as the most important factor they can exchanged for these employee's services, that's only when employees can begin to show their loyalty.

Nigerian employers are one of the most devilish people on earth.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by onoms4luv(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2021
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Ballack1(m): 9:11am On Dec 09, 2021
Loyalty as how? When you are underpaid

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 09, 2021
God forbid make I work under any Bastard

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Kendaboss(m): 9:13am On Dec 09, 2021
Some employers feel because they employ you, you should become a slave to them. Especially those 50k jobs.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by hemartins(m): 9:13am On Dec 09, 2021
Job satisfaction is very important.

Nobody wants to stay where their intrisinc and extrisinc needs aren't met.

Sometimes, it's not all about the salary but the satisfaction

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by drkrest(m): 9:13am On Dec 09, 2021
Qtsnow:
Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 reasons why employees are calling it quits

The forces at play in the labour market don’t necessarily apply to every industry, so workers should do their own research about their field before leaving a job. Companies also need to get on the same page with employees by reconceptualizing what it means to be part of their organization.

Watch as some HR experts share their views on this topic and suggest ways companies can improve employee retention based on our new Employee Satisfaction survey report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSI50ryH6Q

Featuring - Aramide, Recruitment Lead at Flutterwave; Temi Richard Banji, Head of Talent acquisition at Mastercard Foundation; Sheila Ojei, Communications Manager, Jobberman Nigeria (Host); Idris Abdulgafar, Head of Human Resources, Jobberman Nigeria.

The Jobberman Employee Satisfaction Report unpacks employee satisfaction among Nigerian employees. It can be used as a guideline to prioritise employee satisfaction in the workplace and improve productivity and overall long-term organisational success.

- TechPoint - Are employers the real superpower in the recruitment industry? (Who has the power? Employers Vs Employees)
- Nairametrics - XXXX of Women are going to leave their jobs in the next six months and here's why (Use stats from report)
- TechCabal - The Great Resignation: And what it means for Nigerian Employers.

Source -
I left my former employer because of toxicity. Many Nigerian employers have creatively learnt how to exploit employees because of the unemployment rate. Funny thing was that, despite the fact that I gave them one month prior notice, I didn't get paid for the 20 days that I worked with them. The fact that labour laws are impotent in Nigeria is a blessing to evil employers of labour.

10 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Kingcalls: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2021
Employers are now acting like gods just cos they feel there is high level of unemployment.... the last time I worked 10yrs ago, my stupid boss was always insulting me and my other colleagues at the slightest opportunity and treating us like crap ....he tot I too was dependent on salary.... I change am for am , the fool was surprised, I almost throw am slap if not for my colleagues that held me ...I rained insults on the fool and walked away...after that day I promised myself I was never gonna work fir anyone again... the only good thing I gained was the experience, which helps me today in running my business

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Ballack1(m): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2021
[quote author=Kendaboss post=108341780]Some employers feel because they employ you, you should become a slave to them. Especially those 50k jobs.
This one got me � �

3 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Johnjanrt: 9:15am On Dec 09, 2021
If employees are quitting as claimed OP how comes we are still unemployed, or is Nigeria excluded from the list?
Unemployment is real hold your job tight 'a bird in hand'
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by RealAdewole(m): 9:15am On Dec 09, 2021
Most of those that are loyal to the core saw the most bitter part of covid19, when their supposed employer did not even care if they survive or not (especially private school teachers), hence gather what you can gather and japa...
you can even be showed the way out anytime, is it not one employer that laid off 900employee via video call, treating them as trash...

being an employee in nigeria can be even termed as cooperate slavery.

8 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by VOsimhen144(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2021
Jazzxytf:
No
Then extend the winning to your families and relatives by giving them your "sure odds" to save them from generational poverty.... Abi you na orphan?

6 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Codedlyon: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2021
People only leave their jobs because of bad management bad boss especially when they are not happy with the job.

4 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Presido44: 9:17am On Dec 09, 2021
The posts above me are the Nigeria's number one problem.

Frankly, we in a post modern world. The demand and the objectives individuals play has changed overtime. Take for instance the gender role has gradually shifted, the responsibility an average individual as member of a family and then a society has changed. The pressure is high and it's a never ending challenge.

In the end humans evolve and adapt always, In all, take care of mental health and thrive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Oleka2: 9:19am On Dec 09, 2021
sad
Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by olisefom: 9:19am On Dec 09, 2021
Another thing that is not mentioned is the fact that working/career culture is dead.

Knowledge to make money is everywhere (both good and horrible ones) and definitely, no one wants to be slave in the name of one blind loyalty.

I am surprised that some companies that casualize there workforce heavily are even talking about loyalty...that's tantamount to witchcraft.

When people are sure of their future as a result of them working for you, you won't need beg for loyalty as an employer...but in a situation when your employees are underpaid and also casualized, they will leave at any slight opportunity/provocation.

4 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by drkrest(m): 9:19am On Dec 09, 2021
Codedlyon:
People only leave their jobs because of bad management bad boss especially when they are not happy with the job.
you are spot on. I loved my former job and I loved my colleagues but my boss was a terrible being. I couldn't just cope with his excesses. I japa

5 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by drkrest(m): 9:22am On Dec 09, 2021
Kingcalls:
Employers are now acting like gods just cos they feel there is high level of unemployment.... the last time I worked 10yrs ago, my stupid boss was always insulting me and my other colleagues at the slightest opportunity and treating us like crap ....he tot I too was dependent on salary.... I change am for am , the fool was surprised, I almost throw am slap if not for my colleagues that held me ...I rained insults on the fool and walked away...after that day I promised myself I was never gonna work fir anyone again... the only good thing I gained was the experience, which helps me today in running my business
one thing Nigerians should be concerned about is that experience. Once you can garner a reasonable number of experience coupled with academic experience, you are good to go.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by DanielPop(m): 9:28am On Dec 09, 2021
For employees with value to add, yes to upscaling their remuneration and even remote working! But a cursory look at the workplace in nigeria today reveals employees with certificates with no real value to add. No creativity and professionalism is almost zero. All they care about is making it big at company expense.

On the flip side, difficulty in finding quality staff have led many employers to downscale their rewards as you can't keep rewarding people who are just there to complete the numbers. I must state here that some employers are their own problem as they ensure their growth is not commensurate to that of their staff. People join organizations because they want to help the organization to grow while they grow as well. I have noted some employers who grow but are suspect of their staff showing signs of growth too.

For me, while employers need to align company growth to reflect in the life of their staff, employees need to constantly seek knowledge and skills they can bring to add value to operations. If you are key to the organization's growth, you can name your price!

3 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by solonubinho(m): 9:30am On Dec 09, 2021
It irks me how employers are quick to pull out the corporate loyalty card while their loyalty to employees or to even treat employees with fairness is pretty non existent when business interests are at stake. Deal with employee issues, that's your job as a manager.

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Rastaramsey(m): 9:32am On Dec 09, 2021
Employers are motherfuckers.... They only think about their proceeds.... I remember back then when I worked as a motor boy at onitsha, my oga will buy materials worth 150k, we go work and sell everything, when it is time to pay, that man go use our salaries buy another material and pay us after two weeks...

Damnn that shit was so bleeped

Abeg if na small business, make una start am o

1 Like

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by fatymore(f): 9:32am On Dec 09, 2021
It depends on the kind of loyalty though. Some people are loyal to a firm because of the embezzlement going on from their side

2 Likes

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 09, 2021
I felt loyalty only when I was well paid and my workplace was very close to my house.

And you don't disturb my weekends..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits by jojothaiv(m): 9:33am On Dec 09, 2021
drkrest:
I left my former employer because of toxicity. Many Nigerian employers have creatively learnt how to exploit employees because of the unemployment rate. Funny thing was that, despite the fact that I gave them one month prior notice, I didn't get paid for the 20 days that I worked with them. The fact that labour laws are impotent in Nigeria is a blessing to evil employers of labour.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? / Working As A Teller In A Bank And Working In An Accounting/audting Firm / Opportunities In Tourism & Hospitality In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.