Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,128 members, 7,860,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:34 AM

Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! (20312 Views)

IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / 80% Of University Lecturers Are Quacks - Shehu Chindo Yamusa / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Gerrard59(m): 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2021
othermen:
Congratulations to the ones mentioned. We are a remarkable people and would do even more if the necessary infrastructure and support exists.

list based on authors output just for the year 2020 and about 190, 064 names are listed. Again, using excel, I probed the data a little further.

About 165 countries were listed.

Australia has 7140 names, China has 16,604 names, Canada has 7478 names, Germany has 9434 names, France has 5272 names, UK has 15,843 names, Italy has 6126 names, Japan has 5416 names, the USA has 66,233 names listed, South Africa has 752 names listed, while Nigeria has 121 names listed which is about 0.064% globally.

In Nigeria, 17 are from UI, 8 from Covenant university, also 8 from UNN, 6 from FUTA, 5 from OAU, 4 from Landmark University, 4 from Unilag…no other university in Nigeria has up to 4 names listed. Harvard University has about 1763 names listed.

N.B for the purpose of this, Harvard university included Harvard Business School, Harvard Medical School and other Harvard affiliates. While UI includes researchers from UCH and College of Medicine, Ibadan.

Thank you for the breakdown. Like I've stated countless times, no country can compete with the US in teritary institutional research. This book explains it: https://www.amazon.com/Markets-Minds-Money-University-Research/dp/0674244230

For Nigeria to excel in research output, the country has to be rich as there's a limit to what the private sector can fund. Then again, it takes a rich and vibrant private sector to fund R & D effortlessly. The country needs GDP growth of minimum 10% for ten consecutive years for a noticeable change to occur.

That said, kudos to Covenant University, compared to private universities that started during the same period or even earlier (Madonna University), she has performed tremendously well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by 36STATES: 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2021
Reading Nigerian university research paper is like reading Rhapsody of Reality from pastor Christ. It is all full of bull's crap.

Because their rubbish papers get thrown away when they send it to international research journals, Nigeria lecturers have set up their own, where every manner of nonsense is accepted as a research work, even when they have no rigour, methodology nor adhere to the principle of verifiability and replicability.

The same reason we have greatest number of books written by charlatans (mostly pastors) in the world, 99% of them worthless than tissue paper.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Drogunov: 1:41pm On Dec 09, 2021
GorillaApp:
Nothing widespread there! Just two tribes dominating that list

Whose fault? Was there any government policy clearly spelt out preventing Northern Nigerians from seeking Western education?
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by chukwumzurum(m): 2:02pm On Dec 09, 2021
Amongst all this scientist non comes from the polytechnic community or other related tertiary institution...
Nigeria will continue to be it's own problems..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by GorillaApp(m): 2:23pm On Dec 09, 2021
Drogunov:

Whose fault? Was there any government policy clearly spelt out preventing Northern Nigerians from seeking Western education?
I'm not not blaming anyone. I responded to the op who said it is well spread.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by GorillaApp(m): 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2021
Afriqan:

Don't mind him. As if education is by quota system. If you cannot study, maybe the FG should give you a free certificate because of your tribe...
Go and read my post again.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by GorillaApp(m): 2:28pm On Dec 09, 2021
peculiar2233:

The other tribe are also doing well in terrorism and banditry
Lol.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by MrMacinterchi1: 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2021
no unizik lecturer? nawa o
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Drogunov: 4:15pm On Dec 09, 2021
GorillaApp:

I'm not not blaming anyone. I responded to the op who said it is well spread.

Lol
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by CalmElder(m): 4:24pm On Dec 09, 2021
motymop:
SCIENTISTS YET NO RESULTS

IITA Is trying in the area of research... but they are mostly naturalized Nigerians.
From my personal experience with them, I feel that it's riddled with bribery and corruption.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Hkff: 4:48pm On Dec 09, 2021
Really
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Limassol(m): 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2021
Any reference(s) where this list was culled from?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by onojaford(m): 5:24pm On Dec 09, 2021
okeyumez:
There's no scientist in Nigeria. Let's stop fooling ourselves. We only have theory scientists with plenty grammar. Why hasn't any so called scientist in Nigeria discovered vaccine for malaria or covid 19 drugs? No scientist in Nigeria has built transformers, phones, X-ray machines, motor engines, photocopy machines or spaceship. We only study to have titles and depend on white man.

Wow... Very factual and straight to the point. Thanks for pointing this out.
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by Sheggy13(m): 6:55pm On Dec 09, 2021
36STATES:
Reading Nigerian university research paper is like reading Rhapsody of Reality from pastor Christ. It is all full of bull's crap.

Because their rubbish papers get thrown away when they send it to international research journals, Nigeria lecturers have set up their own, where every manner of nonsense is accepted as a research work, even when they have no rigour, methodology nor adhere to the principle of verifiability and replicability.

The same reason we have greatest number of books written by charlatans (mostly pastors) in the world, 99% of them worthless than tissue paper.
You're a blockhead that just likes to comment about something you know nothing about. In a thread where a top-rated University like Stanford listed many Nigerians as top 2% of researchers in the world, yet you're making such ignorant comment about Nigerian lecturers research not accepted by International Journals. You think Stanford will list these people here if their research is not groundbreaking and published in International Journals of repute?
Re: Nigerian Scientists/lecturers Are Not Lazy! by excell0001: 10:18pm On Dec 09, 2021
okeyumez:
There's no scientist in Nigeria. Let's stop fooling ourselves. We only have theory scientists with plenty grammar. Why hasn't any so called scientist in Nigeria discovered vaccine for malaria or covid 19 drugs? No scientist in Nigeria has built transformers, phones, X-ray machines, motor engines, photocopy machines or spaceship. We only study to have titles and depend on white man.

my supervisor is on that list and from what I know about the work he has done, you are wrong. we might have few inventors not few scientist

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Get Admission Into University Of Ghana? / UNN SUG Directs Students To Stop Payment Of School Fees, Shuts Down Portal / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.