Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,062 members, 7,821,650 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? (20257 Views)

2015/2016 JAMB Direct Entry Admission Processes Into Universities Of Your Choice / Solve This Maths And Win #200 Any Network Of Your Choice Credit Card / Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by olawalebabs(m): 2:02pm On Jun 11, 2012
There are many factors that influence one choice of course in the higher institution, to some it is their parent. others may be peers. So, what influenced your own choice?
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by kaysy(m): 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2012
The type of girls in the school... Lol
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Jarus(m): 6:05pm On Jun 11, 2012
My dream career in secondary school was banking(due to influence of late Dr Femi Adekanye, CEO of Commerce Bank) but my favourite subject was Economics.

I wanted to go to Unilag to study Banking/Finance and had already completed my UME form. My brother, a graduate of Unilag, advised that I choose Economics, which is more encompassing, instead of a narrow banking/finance. He also advised against choosing Unilag due to the very tough, often not merit-based admission process. That was how I changed to Economics and Ife.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Odunnu: 6:35pm On Jun 11, 2012
I actually wanted to be a lawyer back then. My eldest brother studied law in UNN and would always come home during breaks and speak big big English unlike the regular ones we were used to. I was always impressed and swore I was going to be like him. I read every Grisham novel. Then Jamb came and I filled in Law Ist choice UNN, Law 2nd Choice UNIZIK, Law 3rd choice ABU. UNN cut me off by 8marks on merit, I landed fine with UNIZIK, but they denied me admission, 2nd choice. I was in the merit list for ABU but for some strange reasons my name/score was swapped and after trying to rectify for a while, that session ended. I forgot to mention that UNN offered me Sociology and stupid me, I rejected it.
So I stayed at home another year and started lessons, I was so close to the administrator that he started changing my views. It was he that noticed I was better in figures than in long grammar and the 5mths I was under his tutelage saw me make a sharp turn for a figure based course. I bought JAMB again and filled in UNN 1st choice Accountancy
UNN 2nd choice Accountancy
UNN 3rd choice Banking and finance.
I was cut off Accountancy again and this time by 9marks , I was comfy in B/F but I was told as well that B/F was restrictive and i'd never loved banks or working in one. I made up my mind to change after my first year then I left the north and landed in the east to start sch with an admission for B/F. I went to register and was told my name was for Accountancy and was given reg number meant for Accountancy class.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by cmon(m): 10:05pm On Jun 11, 2012
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by noblegas2(m): 10:10pm On Jun 11, 2012
Always been moved by ENGINES and its modus operandi....Got a Diploma in Marine Engineering and a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering!
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by icon2: 10:12pm On Jun 11, 2012
@op.... I wanted medicine but changed because of the long academic period... So I settled for Engineering(EEE).. No regrets because I made my choice no parental influence.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by ifihearam: 10:12pm On Jun 11, 2012
Na connection of my people ooo
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
JAMB and UNILAG's (of blessed memory) unattainable cut off marks before the era of Post-JAMB screening exercise.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 11, 2012
I studied éngineering cos my pastor said it is my way to success....lolssss....cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Xtfield(m): 10:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
I studied Linguistics at Unibadan. I actually wanted to study law then, but a friend discouraged me. He told me lawyers join cults to be successful, so I backed off Law. But one of my lecturers in my A'L Use of English was so good at teaching the course that I walked up to him and asked what course he studied in the university. His reply? Linguistics. That was how I ended up studying the course.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by tit(f): 10:16pm On Jun 11, 2012
Ignorance
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 11, 2012
As an autodidact, I was influenced by autodidacts like Socrates, Leonardo da vinci and other great polymaths. And that made me self-educate in many fields of study from philosophy to cognitive science cheesy.

Damn college shocked. It is more or less cramming already established facts.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by emorse(m): 10:23pm On Jun 11, 2012
you get choose?!!! grin for this naija, na wetin dem give you you go take o. Except say you get enough dough to burn!
I had always loved electronics (since childhood) but I ended up studyung physics edu. after JAMB and UNILAG collabo head-butt me several times.

4 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by emorse(m): 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2012
[/quote][quote author=1supremo]JAMB and UNILAG's (of blessed memory) unattainable cut off marks before the era of Post-JAMB screening exercise.
lol @ blessed memory.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
Mine was parental influence especially from my mum. She longed to be addressed as Mama doctor and was ready to give what it takes for me to be one. No regret so far sha. Thanks to my mama doctor

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by mikron(m): 10:29pm On Jun 11, 2012
wanted to study Economics but opt for Fine and applied Arts in Ahmadu Bello univ. (ABU) Zaria. Its a God given talent. Dont want to waste it. My personal choice. Majoring in painting

2 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 11, 2012
I love d sea... I wanted to be a marine engineer...
But i couldn't get a good skool fro dat in nigeria..
Hence, i settled for petroleum engineering @ uniport..
Since dats gonna also take me offshore too..
Its been an awesome experience..
D challenges are interesting too.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by drzed: 10:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
emorse: you get choose?!!! grin for this naija, na wetin dem give you you go take o. Except say you get enough dough to burn!
I had always loved electronics (since childhood) but I ended up studyung physics edu. after JAMB and UNILAG collabo head-butt me several times.

lol @after JAMB and UNILAG collabo head-butt me several times.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Jarus(m): 10:36pm On Jun 11, 2012
Interestingly, I'm an Accountant today. Accounting was the subject I hated most in secondary school and I always ran away from it in university too(electives). I just hated it. I only started ICAN to while away time in my service year, but today, that is the work I'm doing. I know it, but still not my favourite career line.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by zaboy: 10:39pm On Jun 11, 2012
for me, i just wanted to be respected. So it was either Medicine or the Military. Couldnt get into the military, but luckily, got medicine. will be graduating soon insha Allah

3 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
Mine was funny.

My mom wanted me to study medicine, My Dad wanted me to study Electrical Engineering.

My choice was influenced by the desire to be far from home Lagos or Ibadan.

When i was writing UME in 1995, I wanted to Choose Petrochemical Engineering in UNIPORT and my dad was against it cos its too far away and I told him I would never go to UNILAG or UI where my parents can just walk into my room anytime they wanted.

So a compromise based on distance has to be reached I wanted far(UNIPORT or UNIBEN), My parents wanted nearby(UI or UNILAG) so we chose IFE which was midpoint.

Also choice of course. I hated medicine cos it involves blood and you working at odd hours. Also it was the Effikos and born again that were always studying Medicine and Pharmacy, The cool guys were always in Engineering And I believe even till now that Engineers are the smartest people around. So In Secondary school all the cool guys filled in Engineering and the Born-agains filled in for medicine.

To choose the particular Engineering course, my dad insisted on Electrical and Electronics, I wanted Chemical Engineering, So when my dad was at home I filled Electrical but when he went to work, I changed it to Chemical Engineering and submitted it before he came back from work.

When results came out and he saw it was Chemical I told him I changed it and That was what I wanted. We fought over it and I won at the end.

Graduated as a Chemical Engineer from ife

4 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by nijanigga: 10:40pm On Jun 11, 2012
Why is that nobody is carring this news?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18404325
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Redhot111(m): 10:46pm On Jun 11, 2012
In my case, i wasn't born rich so immediately after my SSCE i started husslin in buildind site n within d shortest possible tym i got so much experience on site dat i decided 2 study a course dats related 2 building. So i went 4 civil engineering n specialized on structure cos i ws alread into d field work.

3 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by idmanzik: 10:49pm On Jun 11, 2012
I wanted to study Medicine but JAMB "JAMBED" me two times and i finally ended up studying Statistics.

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Alfred200825(m): 10:53pm On Jun 11, 2012
Am a lover of science nd tech. My childhood dream was to be an engineer or a computer scientist so I applied for. Comp. Sci. But I gat ma butt kicked into geophysics @ the prestigious AAU Ekpoma. Nd I kind of love the course sha

2 Likes

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Ajibel(m): 10:54pm On Jun 11, 2012
FAMILY- YOUR DAD AND MUM WOULD WANT TO LIVE THEIR LIFE IN YOU... MAY ALSO WANT TO ANSWER 'FATHER/ MOTHER O A DOC/ LAWYER etc.'
LOCATION- PROXIMITY TOWARDS WERE YOU RESIDE. YOUR PAPA NO GO GREE MAKE YOU STAY IN IBADAN WHEN HIM AND FAMILY DEY VILLAG FOR UMUAHIA
FINANCE- IF YA MOMMY NO FIT CATER FOR THE FAMILY WELLA, YOU THINK SAY SHE GO GREE MAKE U ENTER BOWEN?
PRIDE- MOST STUDENTS WOULD WANT TO HAVE A SWAG ATTACHED TO THEIR CV, UNILAG..UI...etc...ALSO, THEY'D LIKE TO MIX WITH OTHERS AND PROVE THEY HAVE MUCH WHEN THEY ACTUALLY HAVE NUFFIN
PASSION- WHEN YOU SEE A GUY LIKE ME DYING TO SUCCEED IN HIS CHOSEN FIELD, NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDITIONS THAT HAVE BEEN LISTED ABOVE, I'D FIND THE BEST INSTITUTION TO GIVE ME WHAT I WANT AND WHAT I NEED IRRESPECTIVE OF THE SITUATION

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 11, 2012
I am currently studying Zoology in Uniport because I want to be the next President of Nigeria

Hope that answers your question?

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by born2boink(m): 11:00pm On Jun 11, 2012
Before choosing any school, always go there first to observe number of girls

1 Like

Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by jidowu(m): 11:01pm On Jun 11, 2012
the people around me that did the course,i was inspired seeing the lekan sanusi official car estate surveyor and valuer by those i look up to in my environment,i am in ma 3l student studying estate management in the federal university o technology akure..and i a happy doing the course
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by donigspain(m): 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2012
I am what I have always wanted to be...
A METEOROLOGIST/GEOGRAPHER
I was influenced by the mysteries of our environment e.g space, asteroids, weather, ocean, atmodynamics, spatial disparities etc.

I owe my most profound gratitude to my Geography teacher back in secondary school - Mrs C.N.O Egenti.
Re: What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? by sadyeek(m): 11:02pm On Jun 11, 2012
noble_gas1: Always been moved by ENGINES and its modus operandi....Got a Diploma in Marine Engineering and a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering!

[size=16pt]this here is my icon! Are you working bro!?

For me it was kind of peers, they pointed me towards my course of study, and to be sincere I couldn't have wished for anything better, my dad had a hand in it though. Originally, I wanted to be a banker, he was like NO, NEVER!!!! Lol.

[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Top 100 Best Universities In Nigeria - 2014 Universities Ranking. / Final Year OAU Student Killed By A Trailer / JAMB Has Released Withheld Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.