Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,627 members, 7,851,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:40 PM

What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) (43492 Views)

This Picture Will Convince You How Some People Have Completely Given Up On ASUU / NECO Releases SSCE Results, 878,925 Get Credits In English And Mathematics / Nigerian Defense Academy (NDA) Shortlists Names For 71RC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Burruchaga71(m): 1:02pm On Dec 11, 2021
This is locust in English and Ukpana in Igbo
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Oyinlomobambam(m): 1:07pm On Dec 11, 2021
Bigredmachine:
is that not labalaba

That's Tata in Yoruba language
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by ThatFairGuy: 1:07pm On Dec 11, 2021
grin grin grin

My Benin brother, YOU CAN'T TEACH ME MY LANGUAGE cheesy

Grasshopper is always green in colour.

Locust is green and deeply dark with spots.

That's cricket, ÌRÈ grin
Eriokanmi:
Olodo ranata oju eja loo moo jęę.

That's not cricket( irę) oo, it's tata ( grasshopper or locust ).

The below pictures are the irę( cricket ) which you have mistaken for the tata( grasshopper)

You go back to the front page and zoom the image to see more clearly
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Rickmann: 1:17pm On Dec 11, 2021
WoundedLamb:
That's a locust. While locusts can mate and produce other locusts (already-made gregarious) , it's also a known fact that grasshoppers turn into locusts when the conditions are right. In fact, the initial set of locusts in any outbreak cycle is just a bunch of grasshoppers that are suddenly exposed to abundance of green leaves after a prolonged period of drought. The release of serotonin in thier CNS makes them to change from being solitary (solitaire) to being migratory (gregarious). This also comes with change of diet, colour, reproduction speed, etc. When the the locusts reproduce, the nymphs could be solitaire or gregarious. It's not really very easy to tell if one is born a locusts or a grasshopper-turn-locust by looking at them. But you can guess by comparing the age with the outbreak start-date.

It's still consumed as a source for protein today.

Yes grin
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Akanoaaa(m): 1:24pm On Dec 11, 2021
BMathew:

grin grin grin
If you don't gerrrit, forget about it.

That's Tata and it's not in anyway resemble elete. Elete is totally different from tata.

1 Like

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by BMathew: 1:35pm On Dec 11, 2021
Akanoaaa:

That's Tata and it's not in anyway resemble elete. Elete is totally different from tata.

Okay sir
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:56pm On Dec 11, 2021
Odogwu70:
Ça c'est le français.

oui, c'est exacte.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Teripaul(m): 2:01pm On Dec 11, 2021
BabaIbo:
[s][/s]
Trash... You are a sick fellow, you need to see the doctor asap.
GTFOOMM

pervert slowpoke grin
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by gladdensir(m): 2:20pm On Dec 11, 2021
Deep yorubas call it 'kubana'
longetivity:
We call it abutata in YORUBA languages cool
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Eriokanmi: 2:21pm On Dec 11, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
grin grin grin

That's cricket, ÌRÈ grin
Wrong. Grasshoppers have different colours, not only green. Maybe you attended one of those secondary schools which didn't have football field lol. We killed grasshoppers taya in those days. We also dug cricket holes underneath the rocks and weeds. It's their noise that usually attracted us, especially in the night. This one posted by the OP is a grasshopper not cricket. You can argue it till eternity.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not only Edo, im also yoruba by birth grin. I stand a better chance in both states to be whoever I want to be , politically. If tinubu and femi hamzat could become governor and deputy governor,then I'm more than qualified as a Lagosian. Let's leave all the tribal argument here for now my Friend.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by alanto: 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2021
OnyeObodo:
Ukpana.. Nothing like ukpara please.
Ukpara means ashawo somewhere grin
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by walozanga(m): 2:43pm On Dec 11, 2021
OGA IT IS UKPALA NOT UKPARA ( IN IGBO )
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Anndrew(m): 2:50pm On Dec 11, 2021
We call it the Benjamin
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by ariesbull: 3:29pm On Dec 11, 2021
mekuso89:
Ok guys I caught this (Ukpara in igbo) resting on my Shirt I hunged outside

So I decided to snap it and upload here.

in Igbo we called it ukpara

What do you people call it in your various languages And also the correct English name for it?.

It is ukpana in Anambra and cricket or locust in English..

Locust is the cousin of cricket which is the brother of playing mantis
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Limassol(m): 5:28pm On Dec 11, 2021
sisisioge:
I grew up calling this Fara....not sure if its Yoruba or Hausa.

Isnt that grasshopper in english?
yeah, Fara. Every hausa and to some extent most Northeners knows this.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by merits(m): 5:37pm On Dec 11, 2021
ajumma:
Since this post no concern me, let me use dis opportunity to extend my condolence to Michael Jackson's family. I don't have data when he died..ohh wat a huge loss of such a great footballer..
You don go take your local gin bah.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by 147abbey(m): 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2021
Mumu
U don't knw Buhari....
Is Aisha joorrr.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by alexola20(m): 5:48pm On Dec 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

grasshopper = 蚱蜢/Zhàměng=tata= konik polny

1 Like

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Ghostmode2two(m): 5:51pm On Dec 11, 2021
Na dwarf monkey be this nah. You nor go school?
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Nothingserious: 5:54pm On Dec 11, 2021
mekuso89:
Ok guys I caught this (Ukpara in igbo) resting on my Shirt I hunged outside

So I decided to snap it and upload here.

in Igbo we called it ukpara

What do you people call it in your various languages And also the correct English name for it?.

Ukpara, okpara, ogugu
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by sisisioge: 5:56pm On Dec 11, 2021
Limassol:
yeah, Fara. Every hausa and to some extent most Northeners knows this.

My brother! I grew up in Kano, you? They had a season then when everywhere became invaded with them....infact, we were always catching them inside "leather" with the hope of keeping them as pets until they suffocateand die. They were so much in varying colours and sizes! How time flies grin.
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Nothingserious: 6:02pm On Dec 11, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
grin grin grin

That's cricket, ÌRÈ grin

Lol!

That’s grasshopper.

Crickets are different. They make noise from holes in our village football fields and in the nights when they flap their wings.

In our primary school days, we would use fresh leaves to lure them from their holes and get the big ones out.

1 Like

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Nwaelohim: 8:56pm On Dec 11, 2021
I thought indomie generation was bad but this cocopop generation is worse. What this generation teach their children?
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by cownobygo: 9:03pm On Dec 11, 2021
Bigredmachine:
is that not labalaba
it is tata in Yoruba
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by G450: 9:22pm On Dec 11, 2021
22o62021:

Cool bro
which side ar u 4m in NSK?
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by insidelife22(m): 9:23pm On Dec 11, 2021
ajumma:
Since this post no concern me, let me use dis opportunity to extend my condolence to Michael Jackson's family. I don't have data when he died..ohh wat a huge loss of such a great footballer..

Was he a footballer ?coz I know him as a pick pocket at Alaba int. Market.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by darrytoz(m): 9:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
chatinent:
Na soldier ant wey join army.
You are a wicked somebody ����

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by Stanleyq: 9:46pm On Dec 11, 2021
22o62021:
It’s called Nkaka

Igbele na the big one

Na my dialect oo
haha, nkaka d ett ett mob green me ogbagbo, onyee b ukpana, aanyakwa for language promotion o

1 Like

Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by 22o62021: 10:33am On Dec 12, 2021
G450:
which side ar u 4m in NSK?

Nsukka Local government

Odim side
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by G450: 8:47pm On Dec 12, 2021
22o62021:

Nsukka Local government

Odim side
ok bro
Re: What Are The English And Local Names For This? (Picture) by ajumma(m): 8:27am On Dec 13, 2021
merits:

You don go take your local gin bah.

dan kwaya

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See The Cost Of Studying For 5 Years In A Nigerian University / Bamidele Impeached As NANS President Over $200K Embezzlement Scandal / Male Hostel At The University Of Sule Lamido, Jigawa (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.