Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo (3729 Views)

Siasia And Super Eagles Training At Abuja Stadium (PICS) / Keshi Condemns Abuja Stadium Renovated Pitch / N96M Abuja Stadium Re-Grassing Causes Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 7:44pm On Jun 13, 2011
Just yesterday, Kanu Nwankwo, one of Africa's finest players officially bade goodbye to the sports he loves and spent a better part of his life playing. The event which was witnessed with the very best in world football. From Samuel Etoo to Jay jay Okocha etc. The intimidating presence of stars shows that Kanu is indeed a legend. He's arguably the best footballer Nigeria has ever produced and unarguably the most decorated Nigerian Player. Looking at all this achievement, i think it's high time the Federal givernment named the Abuja National stadium after the one we call Papilo. Enough of naming stadiums after politicians. I think stadiums should be named after sports men that have done this country proud. People like Sam Okparaji that sacrificed his life because of the love he had for his country. Someone like Chioma Ajunwa who for the first time won us a gold medal at the Olympic games. I thereby wish that that stadium be named after Kanu "Papilo" Nwankwo.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 7:51pm On Jun 13, 2011
i agree, kanu is a great player and has don a lot for this country football

but why abuja stadium why not enugu or somewhere in the east or better still his state of birth. just asking

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by AndreUweh(m): 7:54pm On Jun 13, 2011
How about the national stadium at Surulere, Lagos?.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 7:56pm On Jun 13, 2011
Andre Uweh:

How about the national stadium at Surulere, Lagos?.

hmmmmm not a bad idea actually
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 7:56pm On Jun 13, 2011
alj_harem:

i agree, kanu is a great player and has don a lot for this country football

b[b]ut why abuja stadium why not enugu or somewhere in the east or better still his state of birth. just asking[/b]

Kanu did not play for Enugu or Igboland. he played for Nigeria. All the medals he won was for Nigeria. I shouldn't be telling you this now.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 7:59pm On Jun 13, 2011
afam4eva:

Kanu did not play for Enugu or Igboland. he played for Nigeria. All the medals he won was for Nigeria. I shouldn't be telling you this now.

i agree but so did people like oparaji and i am not against that but why abuja i ask, why not lagos or port harcount etc

this parts are also part of the greater nigeria
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 13, 2011
I think the stadium should go to Okocha if you ask me,
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 13, 2011
Any tangible reason why this should be so ? How many stadia have been named after messi ?
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 8:04pm On Jun 13, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Any tangible reason why this should be so ? How many stadia have been named after messi ?

Nawa for this your mentality sha. Who's messi by the way. Someone that just started playing yesterday.

By the way, MODS why was this thread moved to the sports section.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 8:06pm On Jun 13, 2011
afam4eva:

Nawa for this your mentality sha. Who's messi by the way. Someone that just started playing yesterday.

By the way, MODS why was this thread moved to the sports section.

because it is sports related

i ask again why abuja why not port harcount, lagos etc why the capital ?
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 8:11pm On Jun 13, 2011
alj_harem:

because it is sports related

i ask again why abuja why not port harcount, lagos etc why the capital ?

Why not the Capital?
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 8:13pm On Jun 13, 2011
afam4eva:

Why not the Capital?

i asked the question first

i mean there must be a reason why u chose abuja to owerri
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 8:17pm On Jun 13, 2011
alj_harem:

i asked the question first

i mean there must be a reason why u chose abuja to owerri

I think i've answered your question. The stadium in Owerri should be named after probably someone who represented Imo state or Heartland football club. Just like how the state owned stadium in Lagos was named after a relatively unknown player "Teslim Balogun". We're talking of a National team player here.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by aljharem3: 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2011
afam4eva:

I think i've answered your question. The stadium in Owerri should be named after probably someone who represented Imo state or Heartland football club. Just like how the state owned stadium in Lagos was named after a relatively unknown player "Teslim Balogun". We're talking of a National team player here.

okay, i support you idea

good thought
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by babyboy3(m): 8:37pm On Jun 13, 2011
i think it's high time the Federal givernment named the Abuja National stadium

I have never heard so much rubbish?

The Maracana - Why didnt they name it after Edson dos Arente Nascimento (Pele)
Stade de France - why didnt they name it after Platini or Zidane
Wembley - why didnt they name it Bobby moore or Chalton Stadium?

So what did Kanu do for Nigeria that warrants the National Stadium to be named in his honour?

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Jun 13, 2011
baby-boy:

I have never heard so much rubbish?

The Maracana - Why didnt they name it after Edson dos Arente Nascimento (Pele)
Stade de France - why didnt they name it after Platini or Zidane
Wembley - why didnt they name it Bobby moore or Chalton Stadium?

So what did Kanu do for Nigeria that warrants the National Stadium to be named in his honour?

I'm very sorry! He didn't do anything. Case closed. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by babyboy3(m): 6:29am On Jun 14, 2011
I'm very sorry! He didn't do anything. Case closed

Name it!
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by donraja: 11:04am On Jun 14, 2011
Has he really contributed to soccer in this country. I ws of the opinion Rasheed yekini has contributed more than him to grassroot soccer, so if we are to name it after anyone then why not him. if not just call it "Eagles stadium"

Win a signed shirt by Pele, Messi and many more.
SMS MYQUIZ to start answering soccer questions, once you get 2000 points call to redeem any prize available. 4000 for the quad bike.
To check your points SMS MYQUIZP
To see list of prizes SMS PRIZE

MTN send keywords to 33200
Etisalat send keywords to 3245

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by femmy2010(m): 11:06am On Jun 14, 2011
Guus Hiddink just had a stadium named after him in South Korea.
It is not too much to name a stadium after Kanu.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by kshow1(m): 11:16am On Jun 14, 2011
Why name the stadium after him
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by babyboy3(m): 11:25am On Jun 14, 2011
Guus Hiddink just had a stadium named after him in South Korea.
It is not too much to name a stadium after Kanu.

Guus Hiddink did the unthinkable

South Korea to the Semifinal of a world cup is a mammoth effort despite not speking Korean, so many players moved into Europe after that world cup now you want to compare to Kanu? apart from the Semi-final against Brazil in an under 23 game, What has Kanu done

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by femmy2010(m): 11:38am On Jun 14, 2011
baby-boy:

Guus Hiddink did the unthinkable

South Korea to the Semifinal of a world cup is a mammoth effort despite not speking Korean, so many players moved into Europe after that world cup now you want to compare to Kanu? apart from the Semi-final against Brazil in an under 23 game,  What has Kanu done

He gave hope to many on and off the field.
Forget his heart foundation thing? and remember a non Nigerian Adebayo of Togo has Kanu has a role model and that has greatly motivated him to get to where he is today.
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by twinstaiye(m): 11:48am On Jun 14, 2011
It is not even necessary. A road in his state should do, and at best another road in the FCT wouldnt be a bad idea. This is because apart from his football career his Kanu Heart Foundation is enough to merit him something of this nature, but the stadium is asking for too much. IMO
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by babyboy3(m): 11:56am On Jun 14, 2011
He gave hope to many on and off the field.
Forget his heart foundation thing? and remember a non Nigerian Adebayo of Togo has Kanu has a role model and that has greatly motivated him to get to where he is today.

----------------------------------

So let them name an hospital after him, before the arrival of Kanu players like Keshi who opened the door to europe for hundreds of Nigerian and Ghanaians and other, Sam Okparaji died playing for Nigeria, Yekini led the attack for Nigeria for more than 15 years, Jay Jay shed sweat and blood for the country!

From what I know Kanu did more distruption in the Eagles camp than Stephen Keshi, this is what got Babayaro angry!

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by honeric01(m): 12:11pm On Jun 14, 2011
Well he didn't win us a nations cup nor did he win us a world cup, so what exactly is his feat o? undecided

BTW, teslim balogun stadium IS NOT a national stadium, it's a STATE stadium just like AGEGE stadium and Onikan stadium.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by kbdrim(m): 1:16pm On Jun 14, 2011
kanu has never scored a world cup goal, he has never scored at the african nations cup, he is an underachiever as far as the national team is concerned, name emirates after him. cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 14, 2011
afam4eva:

Teslim "Thunder" Balogun is not relatively unknown.go read more about the man,he was a real baller.I am not even yoruba and he i on of those i fully respect as a footballer

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by MMM2(m): 1:41pm On Jun 14, 2011
yes,
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by daroz(m): 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2011
name after him for what
Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by Allem(m): 2:25pm On Jun 14, 2011
for what reason?
is he the first to retire?
f**k the inventor of that .

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by bong4(m): 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kanu for all i care was paid for all his service to Nigeria, if there is any player who deserves to be remembered by the remaining of any stadia to his name, it should be Samuel Okwaraji who died on the field of play. Infact i move the motion that the National Stadium Lagos be named after Samuel Sochukwu Okwaraji (in his days players played out of love for their fatherland).

1 Like

Re: Abuja Stadium Should Be Named After Kanu Nwankwo by reegee: 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2011
Yes plsssssssssssssssssss,I totally concur.[/color][color=#770077]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hard Times? Austin Jay Jay Okocha Puts House Up For Sale. / Lovers Of Long Ticket, Play This Bet9ja Booking With N100; Possible Win Is 500K / Top 10 Ridiculous And Yet Important Football Records Set By Famous Player N Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.