Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,926 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) (30515 Views)

Would You Eat This Food? (Photo) / Safety Measures For Cooking Delicious Snake Pepper Soup / What Are The Safety Measures For Gas Cooker & What Kind Of Gas Cooker Is Worse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
Fellow Members of Nairaland Forum and Superb Guests! Today we shall be doing something different but very educative, interesting and awesome.

It's tagged "Food Safety Quiz". Can you pass the quiz?

We need to be very conscious of the food we eat and how we store them.

There's a popular say that "The first wealth is health."

All you need to do is to choose the correct answer to the questions below by quoting the question number and type your answer.

The correct answer will be posted below when the time comes.

Together we can do this. JUST EIGHT QUESTIONS.

Let's get started.

Cc: lalasticlala
Mynd44
Mukina2
Seun

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
ANSWERS:

1. C. Indefinitely.
Food will be safe indefinitely at 0º F though the quality will decrease the longer it is in the freezer.

2. C. 40º F.
Keep your refrigerator at 40º F or below. Buy an inexpensive appliance thermometer for both your fridge and your freezer; check them often.

3. A. Yes.
Bacteria present in soil can contaminate the outside of melons. When melons are cut, these bacteria are transferred to the part we eat.

4. C. Maybe.
However, don’t count on your taste, smell, or sight to tell you if a food is safe to eat. Even if tasting could tell ... why risk getting sick? A “tiny taste” may not protect you. A small amount of some bacteria, such as of E. Coli, could make you sick. When in doubt, throw a food out.

5. B. No.
Washing increases the danger of cross-contamination by spreading bacteria present on the surface of meat and poultry to nearby ready-to-eat foods, kitchen utensils and counter surfaces. Cooking meat and poultry to the recommended internal will make them safe to eat.

6. A. 3 to 4 days.
Use leftovers within 3 to 4 days. Discard any food left at room temperature for more than 2 hours or 1 hour if the temperature is above 90º F. Place food in shallow containers and refrigerate at 40º F or lower or freeze at 0º F or lower. Frozen leftovers will taste best and be at best quality if eaten within about 3 months.

7. A. Yes.
Some people have a greater risk for foodborne illnesses. A food you safely eat might make others sick. People with a higher risk for foodborne illness include infants, pregnant women, young children, older adults, people with weakened immune systems and individuals with certain chronic diseases.

8. B. 3 to 5 weeks.
Store eggs in their original carton in the coldest part of the refrigerator, but not on the door when they are more susceptible to temperature changes as the door opens and closes. Though the “sell by” date will probably expire during that time, the eggs will still be safe to use.

Source: https://food.unl.edu/can-you-pass-food-safety-quiz

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:56pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 1:
How long will food stored constantly at 0º F remain safe?

A. 1 to 2 years
B. 5 years
C. Indefinitely

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 2:
What temperature is recommended for your refrigerator?

A. 50º F
B. 45º F
C. 40º F

8 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 6:57pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 3:
Since only the inside of melons (such as watermelon) is eaten, does their outer rind need to be washed?

A. Yes
B. No

11 Likes 2 Shares

Question 4:
If a food tastes OK, is it safe to eat?

A. Yes
B. No
C. Maybe

5 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 7:01pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 5:
Should you wash raw meat and poultry before preparing it?

A. Yes
B. No

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 7:01pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 6:
How long should you store leftovers in the refrigerator?

A. 3 to 4 days
B. 1 to 2 weeks
C. 3 weeks
D. Indefinitely

1 Like

Question 7:
If you’ve never gotten sick from food that you prepare — even though you don’t follow “food safety guidelines” — could it make someone else sick?

A. Yes
B. No

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
Question 8:
For best quality, how soon after purchase does the Nigerian Department of Agriculture recommending using eggs?

A. 1 week
B. 3 to 5 weeks
C. 2 to 3 months
D. No Idea

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 7:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
PHOTO CREDITS:
Questions 1 and 2: USDA/FSIS Image Library
Question 3: Alice Henneman
Questions 4, 5 and 6: Pixabay.com
Question 7: Canva.com

3 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by tillaman(m): 7:06pm On Dec 17, 2021
sad
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by devilmaycry: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2021
Omoh....I dn chop I dn chop b dat....

Disease no d kill Africans grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Sleekfingers: 7:37pm On Dec 17, 2021
devilmaycry:

Make u continue

8 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Kriss216: 7:48pm On Dec 17, 2021
devilmaycry:

AIDS dey kill Africans, my brother.
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
Odewaleadesoye:

Sorry green man if I critique your question (positively though).

It's not 0° F (it's either 0°C or 32 F).

1. C

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:07pm On Dec 17, 2021

2 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:09pm On Dec 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:11pm On Dec 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by dfrost: 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2021
Those are the ones I could attempt.
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:23pm On Dec 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2021
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by proxitaly: 9:02pm On Dec 17, 2021
I reserve here for now
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Akerele44(m): 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2021
tillaman:
sad
Copyright ©️
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Akerele44(m): 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2021
[quote author=Odewaleadesoye post=108589058][/quote]
Copyright ©️
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 1:31am On Dec 18, 2021

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Ademola47(m): 6:02am On Dec 18, 2021
Odewaleadesoye:

How long will food stored constantly at 0º F remain safe?
Indefinitely...

Question 2:
What temperature is recommended for your refrigerator?
C. 40° F (± 4...the temperature needs to be moderately low because for every 10° c rise in temperature, the reaction will be doubled. Also, more temperature means more kinetic energy, which negatively makes the food spoil faster since the microbial reactions will take place in a shorter time).

Question 3:
Since only the inside of melons (such as watermelon) is eaten, does their outer rind need to be washed?
Of course, it needs to be washed. Using just water and maybe soft sponge (without soap) to wash the exterior won't be bad to remove physically visible and microscopic dirts.

Question 4:
If a food tastes OK, is it safe to eat?
Tasting 'ok' is not good enough to eat food. Taste is relative as it depends on past experience and current situation (mood). Spoilt food may taste 'ok' if the brain intepretes it okay.

Question 5:
Should you wash raw meat and poultry before preparing it?
No. Raw meat shouldn't be washed. In the process of 'washing', bacterias outside the meat and on the utensils/bowl may be transferred to the (inner) part of the meat (a process called cross-contamination). During cooking, any bacteria on/in it will be killed because it won't be able to withstand the high temperature.

Question 6:
How long should you store leftovers in the refrigerator?
It actually depends on the type of food. We all know rice tastes bad when left for like 10 hours in the fridge. Generally, it shouldn't be more than 7 days. (Personally, however, I don't like 'foods' that have been kept in the freezer.... excluding meat, grinded Pepper etc)

Question 7:
If you’ve never gotten sick from food that you prepare — even though you don’t follow “food safety guidelines” — could it make someone else sick?
Yes. Some people are allergic to certain food (preparation method). Also, the other person's health condition may not support circumventing the standard process. In extreme cases, some people react to even small changes to preparation method as their body systems are used to the hitherto preparation method.

Question 8:
For best quality, how soon after purchase does the Nigerian Department of Agriculture recommending using eggs?
3-5 weeks...

Let me stop here while waiting for Nairaland experts to do justice to the questions....

7 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by CAPITALBEE: 9:07am On Dec 18, 2021
1. Ans: Indefinitely - But then! Who wants to wait this long when the taste would have deteriorated?

2. Ans: 40° F - E dey inside manual...

3. Ans: Yes - I am not satisfied without washing... Even if them wash am for my eyes for where I buy am grin

4. Ans: No - "E taste good to wack no mean say body no go do you somehow if e dey somehow"

5. Ans: Yes - tongue For me ehn... Even after using hot water to remove the feathers of my chicken... I go still rinse am with water before cooking! Who knows I may be wrong tho

6. Ans: 3 - 4 days - Make e no pass like that for better consumption kiss However... This doesn't apply to my freshly cooked peppers. tongue grin

7. Ans: Yes - One man's food is another man's poison!

8. Ans: Absolutely no idea - Even if there is, I am not sure many know about it. I have not seen eggs with Expiry date stamp on them here in Nigeria. No jokes! Except you wan spoil market for some people

5 Likes

Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 10:26am On Dec 18, 2021
Re: Can You Pass This Food Safety Quiz? (Photos) by Odewaleadesoye(m): 10:28am On Dec 18, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Efirin/scented Leaf Soup / A Post For Nigerians Who Love Food, By Nigerians Who Love Food(pictures) / See The Quantity Of Granulated Sugar I Bought #50.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.