Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea (9593 Views)

My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job / Why Degree Dependence Is A Bad Idea Especially In Developing Countries / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by ReventifyCV: 12:32pm On Dec 20, 2021
That cliché saying, ‘Do not put all your eggs in one basket’, is a good saying until it comes to job applications. The idea of throwing your CVs all over the place, and clicking on every ‘apply’ you find is not entirely a good idea. Granted, the economy is a mess, and the wait for a job is tiring; however, going the route of multiple applications can deprive you of a good job.

This goes in two ways. There is one part where people send out applications to different companies at the same time. Then there is sending out applications for different roles in the same company. However, some people think it is okay to send job applications for multiple roles in one company. They most likely will not get any of the jobs at all.

1. Lack of Career Focus: When the Job application hits the HR’s desk, the next thing they look at after your name, is your career focus.

2. The Use of Generic and Non-personalized CVs: HRs hate generic CVs. If you are applying for a role, the goal is to show that you are very fit for that role, which means your CV should show that you are fit.

3. Unpreparedness for Multiple Job Interviews: Your interview is your one opportunity to sell yourself to your prospective employer properly.

4. Burnout During the Various Application Process: Application processes can be very strenuous. As a job seeker, you need your head and mind to be in the right place when applying for a job.

5. Loss of Credibility: A company will not take a person who applies for multiple roles in their company seriously. The ‘jack of all trades’ saying is a myth you should trash.

Getting a job is the goal. However, your strategy through which you intend to get that job matters. The processes leading up to your first interview determine if you get the interview or not.

Apply to a few jobs at a time, go for the interviews prepared, after sending an impressive CV.

There are jobs, however, you are not qualified for all of them, focus on the ones you are qualified for and apply a few at a time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Egbetayo(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
ftc
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by GboyegaD(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
My school of thought and understanding suggest you send your resume to every job that seems like what you want and are qualified for by meeting at least 60% of its requirements. Not getting a job doesn't take away the experience and exposure you get from an interview/application process.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Muyiwaipere(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
Na wetin Nigeria matter reach be that...even the Bible said keep slwing your seed cause you dont know the one that will grow

2 Likes

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by ebuk4real(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
angry

As if jobs even dey For nija

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Sonnobax15(m): 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
lipsrsealed
Not a bad idea abeg....... Guyman no suppose put all him eggs inside one basket for this big for nothing country...

How many application letters person wor write before God go even finally pick him calls self?

1 Like

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Kennyideal(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by danielbello(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
Ok
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by xtophy1(m): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
Hunger never call this one 4 hookup

10 Likes

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Olufemi99(f): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
True talk
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
This is an idiotic advice to say the least.

10 Likes

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by faithfull18(f): 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
It depends.
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Authoreety: 7:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
Never quit

1 Like

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by macaranta(m): 7:01pm On Dec 20, 2021
Not a one size fits all thingy.

1 Like

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Femich18(m): 7:01pm On Dec 20, 2021
What work for you may not work for another person.

Just do what you think is best for you

1 Like

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Okunolaniyi: 7:02pm On Dec 20, 2021
OK
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:02pm On Dec 20, 2021
Reading

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by AFULA(m): 7:03pm On Dec 20, 2021
smiley
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Tombrown3(m): 7:05pm On Dec 20, 2021
Last last, all this won't matter if you have the right connect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by mamawa123: 7:09pm On Dec 20, 2021
Every Nigerian is a motivational speaker

2 Likes

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Bayaar02(m): 7:10pm On Dec 20, 2021
Na Naija we dey.
Job wey no dey b4, mek we con still dey selective.
Go hard and go home.
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by ikorodureporta: 7:11pm On Dec 20, 2021
No be who get job dey find job na...
Not applying means unseriousness...

Maybe na d good chance you sideline
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by arazanbal: 7:19pm On Dec 20, 2021
for a country like naija is neva a bad idea bro. things hard, e better say u get hope for as many as possible dan dy wait one wy dm fit mor even call u self
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Naijaforeigner: 7:24pm On Dec 20, 2021
tiazedi:
Op, you never heard about the law of average?
In a loose labor market like ours, you need to apply to as many jobs as possible.

I see no reason why a Job seeker in Nigeria should be applying to less than 50 jobs monthly

I completely agreee with you and it is just Nigeria alone.

A month before I graduated from a college in Canada, I sent out my resume to nothing less than 50 companies in the space of 3 - 4 weeks.

Once I see a specific job advert that checks all my boxes, I will calm down and draft a very tailored resume for that role. But for others, I just keep applying.

It is a number’s game and yeah, it worked for me.

1 Like

Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by smile4kenn(m): 7:25pm On Dec 20, 2021
ReventifyCV:
That cliché saying, ‘Do not put all your eggs in one basket’, is a good saying until it comes to job applications. The idea of throwing your CVs all over the place, and clicking on every ‘apply’ you find is not entirely a good idea. Granted, the economy is a mess, and the wait for a job is tiring; however, going the route of multiple applications can deprive you of a good job.

This goes in two ways. There is one part where people send out applications to different companies at the same time. Then there is sending out applications for different roles in the same company. However, some people think it is okay to send job applications for multiple roles in one company. They most likely will not get any of the jobs at all.

1. Lack of Career Focus: When the Job application hits the HR’s desk, the next thing they look at after your name, is your career focus.

2. The Use of Generic and Non-personalized CVs: HRs hate generic CVs. If you are applying for a role, the goal is to show that you are very fit for that role, which means your CV should show that you are fit.

3. Unpreparedness for Multiple Job Interviews: Your interview is your one opportunity to sell yourself to your prospective employer properly.

4. Burnout During the Various Application Process: Application processes can be very strenuous. As a job seeker, you need your head and mind to be in the right place when applying for a job.

5. Loss of Credibility: A company will not take a person who applies for multiple roles in their company seriously. The ‘jack of all trades’ saying is a myth you should trash.

Getting a job is the goal. However, your strategy through which you intend to get that job matters. The processes leading up to your first interview determine if you get the interview or not.

Apply to a few jobs at a time, go for the interviews prepared, after sending an impressive CV.

There are jobs, however, you are not qualified for all of them, focus on the ones you are qualified for and apply a few at a time.

very true.

https://gist.am/question/why-applying-for-too-many-jobs-could-be-a-bad-idea
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by minks(m): 7:31pm On Dec 20, 2021
ReventifyCV:

All valid points but all of us know how Naija be.
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Supreme145(m): 7:31pm On Dec 20, 2021
cheesy
Lol....I send out at least 50 job applications every week, if sapa hold you I'm sure this your reasoning will change
Re: Why Applying For Too Many Jobs Could Be A Bad Idea by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 20, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Not a bad idea abeg....... Guyman no suppose put all him eggs inside one basket for this big for nothing country...

How many application letters person wor write before God go even finally pick him calls self?

When I just graduate I dey agile they apply for jobs online, my neighbour(bros) told me he doesn't bother doing that anymore except someone recommends him. Few years later, I now understand. I stop applying for jobs 3 years ago. This country nah man know man.
People get job base on merit but it is slim (strong scholar). All the government jobs are on sale.

My advice get a skill something you can do without sourcing for paid employment. This country has failed us. Tech is the new oil money, most of these IT skills you don't need a degree.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apply Now For Appnigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment - 2016 / Apply For Delta State Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2014 Without Mistakes / Apply For Nokia Nigeria Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.