Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,655 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought (5050 Views)

A WP developer is needed to EXTENSIVELY edit an ADULT website theme / PHP/ Node JS Web Developer Is Urgently Needed / JOB ALERT: A Smart Android App Developer Is Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 3:17pm On Dec 20, 2021
I have not met one Software Engineer who does not plan to Japa. Don't get me wrong, there are some who may be completely okay with living in Nigeria for some reasons, chief of which could be their spending power due to currency exchange rate.

If you work remotely for a foreign company, you might be closer to achieving your goal than you thought.

Myself, a Software Engineer, living abroad and working for yet another foreign org., my dream is wandering all over the globe( barring ongoing COVID madness). I call myself a global wanderer.

Your chances before now:

Before now, the most common means to japa was through sponsorship by a potential foreign employer. However, you have to be a whiz in your tech stack with tonnes of experience. As per requirements, most countries require potential employer to prove that they are unable to source talent locally before "importing" talent (you). The odds against us in respect to this is huge. Why should any company go through that stress except you're really special. Few people I know "Japa-ed" through this means. Other disadvantage of this is that you're somewhat restricted to that country. For people who are "waka-abouts" like myself, this is not acceptable.

Your chances today:

One of the good things that came with this COVID outbreak is the popularisation of remote work. With this popularisation came Digital Nomad Visa. This visa category started getting known in 2020 and blew up in 2021. 2022 is going to be mad...

Estonia, Germany, Georgia, UAE, Portugal, Iceland and many more European and third world countries alike have implemented this visa class or a variant of it. Feelers are that more countries will follow suite.

It makes sense for these countries because they can stimulate economic growth by bringing in independent workforce that'll not compete with indigenes for local jobs.

The requirements

The requirements are almost the same across the board except for few variations here and there.

1. Proof that you're employed or self-employed by an organisation outside your proposed country of residence.
2. Proof of a minimum monthly income typically an average of $2000 per month. Some others like Portugal require as low as less than €700 per month.
3. Other sundry requirements for immigration like police background check, health insurance e.t c

The residence permit you'll get ranges in duration from 1 year to 5 years and are mostly renewable.

So if you're skilled, currently working remotely, and you hope to japa, don't sleep on this one. Do your research, plan and do the needful. On the other hand, if you love moving around, 3 months, 4 months or longer here and there, all the while working and earning $$$, THIS IS IT. Let's do it!!!

For people like us who can't stay in one place, we've found a way to run around the globe. My goal is to have lived in 6 countries by 2025.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by after4: 3:27pm On Dec 20, 2021
op abeg what is the best way to get remote jobs. i major on Js

3 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 3:52pm On Dec 20, 2021
after4:
op abeg what is the best way to get remote jobs. i major on Js

I don't know the best way but I got all the jobs I've worked at through LinkedIn

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Sheriman(m): 4:21pm On Dec 20, 2021
It all depends on your choice. But I will rather stay in Nigeria enjoying my dollars to the fullest. Though, sometimes if I wish I may travel to Europe to spend holidays then comeback again.

3 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 4:27pm On Dec 20, 2021
Sheriman:
It all depends on your choice. But I will rather stay in Nigeria enjoying my dollars to the fullest. Though, sometimes if I wish I may travel to Europe to spend holidays then comeback again.

That's another point of view. However, nothing excites me more than meeting new people from different corners of the world and having a world view beyond what I've grown up to know.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:34pm On Dec 20, 2021
Sheriman:
Lol people that say this are very funny. Do you know the opportunities you will access once you leave Nigeria. You don't know your location determines your allocation.

I have only had like 3 recruiters reach out to for me for jobs just 3 since I started this tech thing but guys abroad get like 10 or more weekly. People who weren't even getting shit started getting same once they left Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Gbsks: 4:35pm On Dec 20, 2021
Honestly, this thread should make front page

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by after4: 4:45pm On Dec 20, 2021
ok, i normally get some job adverts in linkdin too, ho do I make good of them

Lindner:

I don't know the best way but I got all the jobs I've worked at through LinkedIn

1 Like

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by after4: 4:47pm On Dec 20, 2021
did you see snake or ipob in the write up? how do you expect it to make fp?

Gbsks:

1 Like

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 4:52pm On Dec 20, 2021
after4:
ok, i normally get some job adverts in linkdin too, ho do I make good of them

First thing is to make your LinkedIn profile very professional. Link it to all your application assets like github profile, portfolio(if you have one). Showcase some projects or relevant articles also. Once your LinkedIn profile is tight, filter for job titles you want in specific region (e.g Europe, North America e.t.c). Apply to as many as possible. Forget about years of experience, JUST APPLY, as long as you're competent in the job description. If you're an entry level applicants, it's a game of numbers. Those days, I can submit 50 applications in 30 minutes. LinkedIn made it really easy. The more QUALITY applications you submit, the higher your chances.

After your first or second job, you might not need to apply again. Head hunters will find you and ask if you're interested in new roles.

I wish you good luck

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by after4: 4:58pm On Dec 20, 2021
yes i have a github account but am not sure I understand what you mean by portfolio and making my linkedln professional. can you explain this two? thanks

Lindner:

First thing is to make your LinkedIn profile very professional. Link it to all your application assets like github profile, portfolio(if you have one). Showcase some projects or relevant articles also. Once your LinkedIn profile is tight, filter for job titles you want in specific region (e.g Europe, North America e.t.c). Apply to as many as possible. Forget about years of experience, JUST APPLY, as long as you're competent in the job description. If you're an entry level applicants, it's a game of numbers. Those days, Incan submit 50 applications in 30 minutes. LinkedIn made it really easy. The more QUALITY applications you submit, the higher your chances.

After your first or second job, you might not need to apply again. Head hunters will find you and ask if you're interested in new roles.

I wish you hood luck

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 5:05pm On Dec 20, 2021
after4:
yes i have a github account but am not sure I understand what you mean by portfolio and making my linkedln professional. can you explain this two? thanks

Some people have a portfolio of projects to show potential employers of the projects they done in the past. It's just a website about you and your work. It's usually not compulsory since you have a github profile with all/most of your projects. It's different forn github because github contains the repositories with the code base while portfolio just showcases few projects that you're proud of in finished form.

There are free learning resources online on how to create compelling job application assets specifically for developers.. Resume, github, linkedin, portfolio(optional), even twitter profile, e.t c

NB:
IF YOU'RE AN ENTRY LEVEL APPLICANT, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO CREATING STRONG APPLICATION ASSETS. THEY ARE OFTEN WHAT SEPARATES YOU FROM OTHER ENTRY LEVEL APPLICATNTS.

Some guys are really good, but employers dont know and cannot know until you get to the interview stage. The tragedy is that a lot of them are never given a chance to get to the interview stage because they have really poor Resume or unprofessional social media presence. Work on this and you're many steps ahead.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Gbsks: 5:30pm On Dec 20, 2021
after4:
did you see snake or ipob in the write up? how do you expect it to make fp?

That's true though.

1 Like

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Gbsks: 5:33pm On Dec 20, 2021
What's the market like for game developers ?
Lindner, JaskanFactor

1 Like

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by jesmond3945: 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2021
Gbsks:
Any nigerian young man should avoid nairaland frontpage. It is useless. Go to programming, car, business, career and travel section. Dont waste your time.

11 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 6:06pm On Dec 20, 2021
jesmond3945:
Any nigerian young man should avoid nairaland frontpage. It is useless. Go to programming, car, business, career and travel section. Dont waste your time.

Lol. I typically read the entire thread on the front page in less than 2 minutes. Sometimes, less than that. I end up clicking just one or two topics.
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 6:07pm On Dec 20, 2021
Gbsks:
Lindner, JaskanFactor

Dont know much about the mkt
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Gbsks: 6:08pm On Dec 20, 2021
Lindner:

Dont know much about the mkt
okay, thanks
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by JaskanFactor: 6:16pm On Dec 20, 2021
Gbsks:
Lindner, JaskanFactor

I am new convert to game developer myself, coming from robotics etc.

So far i am finding there is good demand for Unreal Engine skills, its just about the most powerful game engine, the most complex and challenging. So its hard work, and as result there is demand for the skills.

Its the Game Engine that was used to develop Fortnight .

Skills required is C++ , but the game engine also has its own programming language called Blueprints, and Its got a whole ton of internal tools .

Think of game production like movie production , so that tools like Unreal Engine and UNity have a ton of tools that you have to learn for doing things like animation, NPC AI , and all kinds of graphics special effects .

The good thing is though there is a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube.

The online forum for unreal engine is https://forums.unrealengine.com/latest

Thats where you get help from other users and also where the jobs are advertised.

Also there will be more jobs for game developers now that Metavese is a thing, its this graphics engines that will be used to develop metaverse .

Documentation and tutorials here
https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/

Epic Games is the company behind Unreal Engine

Youtube page for the Unreal Engine
https://www.youtube.com/c/UnrealEngine

On thier forums i am IkoLogs you can PM me there if you need any starting Tips.

The business model for developers in tools like this is that.

1- You can get paid helping on another persons project
2- You can develop your own game , the Engine is free until your game is making 1 million dollars , then you have to pay royalty
3 - You can develop Assets that other gam dveopers can use either inform of software or Artwork such as landscape , materils, animation etc

So that I forgot to mention Unreal Engine is not just for programmers to make money, Artists too can make money, and the engine has its own market place where programmers and artitts sell the tools used buy other developers to make thier games.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/store

Beware Unreal Engine is a Graphics Engine, its not just used for developing games, its also used for CAD type work in Vehicle production , Also used by Interior designers for prototyping.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Gbsks: 6:30pm On Dec 20, 2021
JaskanFactor:

I am new convert to game developer myself, coming from robotics etc.

So far i am finding there is good demand for Unreal Engine skills, its just about the most powerful game engine, the most complex and challenging. So its hard work, and as result there is demand for the skills.

Its the Game Engine that was used to develop Fortnight .

Skills required is C++ , but the game engine also has its own programming language called Blueprints, and Its got a whole ton of internal tools .

Think of game production like movie production , so that tools like Unreal Engine and UNity have a ton of tools that you have to learn for doing things like animation, NPC AI , and all kinds of graphics special effects .

The good thing is though there is a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube.

The online forum for unreal engine is https://forums.unrealengine.com/latest

Thats where you get help from other users and also where the jobs are advertised.

Also there will be more jobs for game developers now that Metavese is a thing, its this graphics engines that will be used to develop metaverse .

Documentation and tutorials here
https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/

Epic Games is the company behind Unreal Engine

Youtube page for the Unreal Engine
https://www.youtube.com/c/UnrealEngine

On thier forums i am IkoLogs you can PM me there if you need any starting Tips.

The business model for developers in tools like this is that.

1- You can get paid helping on another persons project
2- You can develop your own game , the Engine is free until your game is making 1 million dollars , then you have to pay royalty
3 - You can develop Assets that other gam dveopers can use either inform of software or Artwork such as landscape , materils, animation etc

So that I forgot to mention Unreal Engine is not just for programmers to make money, Artists too can make money, and the engine has its own market place where programmers and artitts sell the tools used buy other developers to make thier games.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/store

Beware Unreal Engine is a Graphics Engine, its not just used for developing games, its also used for CAD type work in Vehicle production , Also used by Interior designers for prototyping.

Thank you for this detailed response sir. I actually started out with interest in building games, tinkering with C++ checking game engines like Godot and unity (this was around 2014) but I got discouraged because there wasn't anyone to guide me so I made alot of mistakes and had several burnouts which made me lose interest entirely. It was so hard to find a game developer then (even now it's still hard) as everyone I met was into web development. By the way Blueprint is somewhat similar to python and Lua right ?
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Busch: 6:35pm On Dec 20, 2021
Please does anyone knows what the market is like for backend developers. Django in particular.

1 Like

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 6:57pm On Dec 20, 2021
Busch:
Please does anyone knows what the market is like for backend developers. Django in particular.

Backend developers are always in demand.

3 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:13pm On Dec 20, 2021
Even the work visa is no more difficult to get like before. The standards have been greatly reduced for tech guys. Imagine people getting UK and Germany like say na garri them dey drink. I have ever seen Canada and Australia. This was unheard of like 10 years ago. Getting a work visa to a first world country from Nigeria. Who you be? I just wish I started coding earlier but nothing spoil grin

10 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by Lindner: 7:44pm On Dec 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Even the work visa is no more difficult to get like before. The standards have been greatly reduced for tech guys. Imagine people getting UK and Germany like say na garri them dey drink. I have ever seen Canada and Australia. This was unheard of like 10 years ago. Getting a work visa to a first world country from Nigeria. Who you be? I just wish I started coding earlier but nothing spoil grin

Sometimes I feel like I wasted 7 years of my life calling myself a banker grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:48pm On Dec 20, 2021
Lindner:

Sometimes I feel like I wasted 7 years of my life calling myself a banker grin
Me I was a mechanic and I also had one foolish business. I look back at those days with serious regret.

6 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by solidmyk(m): 8:03pm On Dec 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Me I was a mechanic and I also had one foolish business. I look back at those days with serious regret.
Bros no matter how foolish the business be e dey part of your story and that's what makes it interesting.
I know say my own prayer sef go become reality one day, tho e get wetin JS dey use my eyes see this days but anyhow your story dey motivate me everyday including your contents, tho you no go fit understand but I dey grateful say I followed you on this forum.
Reespect bro

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:36pm On Dec 20, 2021
solidmyk:

Bros no matter how foolish the business be e dey part of your story and that's what makes it interesting.
I know say my own prayer sef go become reality one day, tho e get wetin JS dey use my eyes see this days but anyhow your story dey motivate me everyday including your contents, tho you no go fit understand but I dey grateful say I followed you on this forum.
Reespect bro
It will become a reality. Keep on working hard and applying to opportunities. E go happen.
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by babakb: 8:44pm On Dec 20, 2021
My question is, does this countries mandate you to have a degree in IT or not for Work Visa..
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by solidmyk(m): 8:45pm On Dec 20, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It will become a reality. Keep on working hard and applying to opportunities. E go happen.
Sure bob, thanks baba.
Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:49pm On Dec 20, 2021
babakb:
My question is, does this countries mandate you to have a degree in IT or not for Work Visa..
Just have a degree. Degree can even be In basket weaving sef. You can still get work visa without a degree but getting it with a degree is a very sure part to a permanent residency and then citizenship. The path without a degree is long.

2 Likes

Re: Why Relocating Abroad As A Software Developer Is Easier Than You Thought by jesmond3945: 9:20pm On Dec 20, 2021
Lindner:

Lol. I typically read the entire thread on the front page in less than 2 minutes. Sometimes, less than that. I end up clicking just one or two topics.
you dont need at all. Full of trash. Linda ikeji things.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whats The Expectant Salary For A Cybersecurity Software Engineer / Who Is The Best Programmer In Nairaland? / VR (virtual Reality) Developer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.