Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:25 AM

Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' (8978 Views)

7 Year Old Girl Brings Warnings From Jesus To Top Nigeria Pastors & Their Wives / Top Ten Nigeria Pastors Who Did Not Talk To Each Other / Is It Proper To Label Pastors As Crooks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by ogbori(m): 11:28am On Jun 15, 2011
U guys should stop talking bout this pastors and their wealth, leave them for God to judge! All your posts and rants would change nothing i repeat nothing!

I think all these uncomplementary remarks about Pastors in Nigeria has got to stop. Please leave them to fulfill their ministry and let God be the Judge.

If only these pastors can re-invent all this wealth/money into local/poor community, i dont think there would be so much noise over their wealth.

Apostle Paul wrote in one of his books; WE DO NOT PEDDLE THE GOSPEL FOR PROFIT. He must have seen this as attribute of Christ and other disciple. Jesus could have easily gotten alot from people he preached to, healed, encourage and so end up been very comfortable. So many were ready to be his slaves.
The point is, WHAT WILL JESUS DO IF HE HAD SO MUCH MONEY?

Our pastors claim to be follower of Christ and preaching his ways.

Would he amass so much money if he was living in this generation and invest in 4 jets. Or get involved in competition with other preachers?

Peter encouraged the people to bring all they had, not to use for some investment but to upgrade the poor. To meet the need of the poor. To show true brotherhood  and Christianity which Jesus preached, to be your brothers and neighbours keeper. to be concerned about the needy in your church, community and country.
There is a good difference between moderation and excessive lifestyle  which the bible condemn. Excess of food; gluttony, of wine; drunkenness, even of honey  will purge you.
There is a portion of the bible which says the rich is made rich to be of assistance to the poor. One of the reason for paying tithe was to give to the the needy, poor, fatherless, widow, stranger,

So when a so called man of God has so much and plays around with it in waste, what example is he giving  or what message is he giving to those who pay tithe and offerring.

Keeping quiet and waiting for their condemnation is not a good practice, . Just like waiting for your child to grow up in evil and be destroyed in future. Or is it because we belong to one of so called pastors church and are not comfortable  when people complain
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by FEMARY(m): 11:35am On Jun 15, 2011
God is good.

Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by odiraa(f): 11:40am On Jun 15, 2011
church business is a very profitable business in this country but i am advising government to be taxing them.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by rareman(m): 11:50am On Jun 15, 2011
its either u guys are misinformed or deformed in thinking, if u have any case against any of d pastors pls do not hesitate to bring d said pastor up for justice to take its cause, but for u to sit their and rain abuse on men of God is very unfair, someone compared them with politicians, there are a whole lot of difference. First they did not steal ur money, second they are rendering service to people, am sure their church members do not complain. I mean no one put knife on their neck to pay tithes and offering. Pls live them alone
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Stonnydrey(m): 11:51am On Jun 15, 2011
I will join them soom, NLers Watch Out, COME AND PAY YOUR TITHE GOSPEL MINISTRY
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by kennethjunior(m): 11:59am On Jun 15, 2011
some of u just cum here yarn balls & tink u hav made a sensitive post, some of u said dey should help the poor by creating Job , Dr David Oyedepo Owns a university & many other establishments, dose Non academic staff who dem be e.g security staff, gardner, cleaners, Bursary staff e.t.c is that not means of Job creation i wonder how some of u Reason, Or na FOC, stop complaining & commenting on Pastors Wealth, d one wey pastor chop na im una dey c DUNGS,
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by ocelot2006(m): 12:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
Mehn, my tithes will NEVER go to the church again. Rather, I'll donate them to orphanages.
By the way, these churches MUST be taxed. No excuses.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by zaza1(m): 12:07pm On Jun 15, 2011
in the days when Jesus was on earth, the only times I heard of him using a means of transport were either on his feet,on an ass and yes!!, on the fishing boat that nearly sank, in those days there were chariots,he could have gotten his disciples to carry Him about in a chamber hoisted on their shoulders but he did not, These pastors tell us to every Sunday to emulate Jesus but yet they have forgotten the first thing, Humility!, why for God's sake do they need private jets, they can fly first class cant they, if they believe they shouldn't rub shoulders with mere un-anointed mortals like us in Economy, a lot of people who go to church have really big issues, mostly financial and these guys are going around in private jets(and then someone like rareman says we should not talk about them), we should learn to start telling the truth, what is wrong is wrong, they cannot justify their acts, they think they are rockstars, people tend to give a lot in church because we all feel our sacrifice of cash might somehow register directly to God and he will hear our cries, others give to help with church development, I am sure if you went to a church and the pastor started openly calling for funds to buy a jet we won't give, so they sell books,etc, in Oyedepo's secondary school Faith Academy,they sell his books compulsorily to the students as text books(my niece goes there), she came home last holidays with a text book about deliverance from bad dreams blah blah blah, she was in JSS1 AND SHE WAS SCARED FOR A BIT and just got bored later, even i found the book quite boring, now I have a choice to buy it or not, she didn't,hence more money for Pastor Oyedepo, (sigh), these guys need to be checked
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Hardeyorlah(f): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2011
church has now become a business centre
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by kennethjunior(m): 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
zaza1:

in the days when Jesus was on earth, the only times I heard of him using a means of transport were either on his feet,on an backside and yes!!, on the fishing boat that nearly sank, in those days there were chariots,he could have gotten his disciples to carry Him about in a chamber hoisted on their shoulders but he did not, These pastors tell us to every Sunday to emulate Jesus but yet they have forgotten the first thing, Humility!, why for God's sake do they need private jets, they can fly first class cant they, if they believe they shouldn't rub shoulders with mere un-anointed mortals like us in Economy, a lot of people who go to church have really big issues, mostly financial and these guys are going around in private jets(and then someone like rareman says we should not talk about them), we should learn to start telling the truth, what is wrong is wrong, they cannot justify their acts, they think they are rockstars, people tend to give a lot in church because we all feel our sacrifice of cash might somehow register directly to God and he will hear our cries, others give to help with church development, I am sure if you went to a church and the pastor started openly calling for funds to buy a jet we won't give, so they sell books,etc, in Oyedepo's secondary school Faith Academy,they sell his books compulsorily to the students as text books(my niece goes there), she came home last holidays with a text book about deliverance from bad dreams blah blah blah, she was in JSS1 AND SHE WAS SCARED FOR A BIT and just got bored later, even i found the book quite boring, now I have a choice to buy it or not, she didn't,hence more money for Pastor Oyedepo, (sigh), these guys need to be checked

So becos Jesus use Boat take travel make him use boat travel Go Abroad, About ur niece , Didnt u read the prospectus b4 she was given admission or u were forced to put ur niece there? undecided
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by focusxo4: 12:29pm On Jun 15, 2011
Why can't some pple think, about how they can become an authority in their chosen carrier than waste time on another man chosen field.
Or u can simply start ur own church and start marking money and become "As rich as oil barons".u can't hear serious mind like Bill Gate,making commit
like this,because he earn recognition by hard work so, i know that if these pple did not stand out u would't see them.4 those who are following them. the bible says u shall know the truth and truth u know shall set.The important thing is that we should all know the truth so that we can be free.
So, we can also be recognized and be more richer than oil barons.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by justwise(m): 12:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
focusxo4:

Why can't some pple think, about how they can become an authority in their chosen carrier than waste time on another man chosen field.
Or u can simply start your own church and start marking money and become "As rich as oil barons".u can't hear serious mind like Bill Gate,making commit
like this,because he earn recognition by hard work so, i know that if these pple did not stand out u would't see them.4 those who are following them. the bible says[b] u shall know the truth and truth u know shall set[/b].The important thing is that we should all know the truth so that we can be free.
So, we can also be recognized and be more richer than oil barons.

If you must quote the Bible please quote it right.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by stmarc32(m): 12:41pm On Jun 15, 2011
Suffer suffer suffer suffer
Suffer for World
Na your fault be that
Me I say na your fault be that
Suffer suffer for World

Enjoy for Heaven
CHORUS: Amen
Christians go dey yab*
“ In Spiritum Heavinus”
Moslems go dey call
“Allah wa Akbar”

Open your eye everywhere
Archbishop na miliki*
Pope na enjoyment
Imam na gbaladun*

Archbishop dey enjoy (with chorus)
Pope self dey enjoy (with chorus)
Imam self dey enjoy (with chorus)
My brother wetin* you say? (with chorus)
My brother wetin you say? (with chorus)

My sister wetin you go hear?
My sister wetin you go hear?
Archbishop dey for London
Pope dey for Rome
My people – them go dey follow Bishop
Them go follow Pope
Them go follow Imam
Them go go for London
Them go go for Rome
Them go go for Mecca
Them go carry all the money
Them go juba* Bishop
Juba Pope
Juba Imam
Them go start to yab themselves

Every day – for house
Every day – for road
Every day – for bus
Every day – for work
My people my people my people
Every day my people inside bus
CHORUS: Suffering and smiling
Forty-nine sitting forty-nine standing
Them go pack themselves in like sardine
Them dey faint, them dey wake like cock
Them go reach house water no dey
Them go reach bed power no dey
Them go reach road go-slow go come
Them go reach road police go slap
Them go reach road army go whip
Them go look pocket money no dey
Every day na the same thing

Suffer suffer for World
Enjoy for Heaven
Christians go dey jab
“ In Spiritum Heavinus”
Moslems go dey call
“Allah wa Akbar”

How many many you go make
CHORUS: Many many
Suffer suffer for world
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by IBEXY(m): 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
Dont forget to pay your tithes on sunday and , wait o! Offering is different from tithe. Offering will be at least 5 times on each of the 4 sunday services.

You have to hold your envelope high on each occasion to earn the blessing of the lord. This is not to make the brother without an envelope embarrased but to proove to the pastor that you are an active member of the congregation.

Remember! Approach ye not the altar with anything less than one thousand naira. Your money will be doubled by next week. Now you know why you should donate more. Every amount gets doubled or even trippled depending on how wide you flash that fake smile.

If you are poor, you need salvation in your life. How dare you keep coming to church when you cannot afford 2 square meals a day? Look here, say it even if you dont have it. Claim you are rich even if you are jobless. Better still, release that ten naira you've been carrying around in your pocket for the last one week into the offering basket. It will be replaced with one thousand naira by sunday.

I want all the oil company execs in the front seat. Sit behind if you are a cleaner.

and much more
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by oracular: 1:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
FGN should carve out a  new ministry called, ' Ministry of Religious Resources' with a 'Nigerian National Religious Corporation' (NNRC) as regulatory agency. They need to plough back these profits to the betterment of Nigerians, after all we gave it to them
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by kulutempa: 1:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
@stmarc32, thanks for posting the lyrics of Baba 70's Suffering and Smiling. Fela was not just a musician, he was a visionary and a prophet whose songs captured the mental slavery and bondage that most Nigerians live in everyday.
Truth is a rarity in Nigeria,but the sad thing is that even when it is spoken, Nigerians don't want to hear it.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by nogames: 1:25pm On Jun 15, 2011
rareman:

its either u guys are misinformed or deformed in thinking, if u have any case against any of d pastors pls do not hesitate to bring d said pastor up for justice to take its cause, but for u to sit their and rain abuse on men of God is very unfair, someone compared them with politicians, there are a whole lot of difference. First they did not steal your money, second they are rendering service to people, am sure their church members do not complain. I mean no one put knife on their neck to pay tithes and offering. Pls live them alone
oh will should all sit down like mumu and watch while these people are converting churches of god to some thing else abi? no wonder Jesus said my father,s house shall be call house of prayer, but it as been turned to den of robber, He doesn't kept quiet but HE drove them out of the synagogue. He  even rain caused on pharisees and Sadducee, so what are u saying?
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by samakson(m): 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2011
akinnux
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons'
I think all these uncomplementary remarks about Pastors in Nigeria has got to stop. Please leave them to fulfill their ministry and let God be the Judge.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But you can Judge Sani Abacha and the rest ? I don't know why its just so difficult for you to see the truth and face it.

Nobody is holy we all do most of the things the bible forbids us from doing, we all Judge DIMEJI BANKOLE so why don't we Judge them too?

God did not tell us they are Superior.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Gift4all(m): 2:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
tellwisdom:

E be like sey u knw knw d country u live in, Even if jesus come nigeria today, he go use body guard,

Jesus faced more deadly men (opposition) in those days than mere kidnappers, armed robbers etc.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Gift4all(m): 2:33pm On Jun 15, 2011
Ignorance and poverty is the cause of this. If the people get richer, they will be less gullible to the antics of fake pastors. If they get more informed, they won't fall for the deceit of fake men of God. I advise Christians to study the lifestyles of Jesus, Paul etc. They never aspired to llive beyond those who they serve, neither do they demand any financial or material gratification, either directly or indirectly, from their followers. They preached it.

There is nothing wrong with tithing, offerings etc. But all these offerings are supposed to be used for the development of the Church of Christ, not the pastors and their families alone.

okemmadu:

I heard that in America the founder of a church does not have control over the offering money. that its managed by church board of directors. How true?

There is a provision for board of directors in our laws too, but our smart 'men of God' use their family members so that the 'church business' belongs to their family alone.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 15, 2011
One thing about these superrich pastors is that they are just gobbling all the money without a thought of the poor masses.Take Kanu for instance who is a footballer many nigerians have benefited from his heart foundation programme so why cant these super rich pastors initiate something of the same level?
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Wallie(m): 3:10pm On Jun 15, 2011
I usually don’t comment on religious issues because it is personal but I can’t help but think that people are blinded by ignorance, poverty, and/or wishful thinking!

Shouldn’t these so called “men of God” be helping the needy and the helpless? Why can’t they use the money to run hospitals, free schools, motherless baby homes, community development programs, recreation centers, shelters for battered women, borehole projects in rural communities, or anything to make the less fortunate believe that God is there to take care of him or her?

Are you guys aware of what the white missionaries did and still do? Why can’t there be African churches with black missionaries? Why can’t we the fortunate ones, including the so called men of God, help the less unfortunate ones?

And the worst part is the ignorant people defending the men of God because they purportedly spread the word of God! Men of God are humans just like us, which makes them fallible, and as such shouldn’t be above questioning. Word of God is not questionable but a human’s interpretation of it is questionable.

I am religious but you don’t need religion to know that you need to give a helping hand to those in need, especially if you’re fortunate! And all these men of God are fortunate by virtue of their positions!

I read an article recently that said Bill Gates donated about $28 billion of his money already and that each of his 3 kids will only inherit $10 million when he dies. The rest of his money will be donated. The funny thing is that Bill Gates is probably not religious, and yet has more compassion than the so called men of God!
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by FlyboyZee: 3:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
This is the end of the matter:

Christ instructed all the Rich men he came across in the Bible to sell all they have, give the money to the poor and follow him. He never collected tithes, offerings, seeds, first fruits, whatever you may call it from anybody, instead he gave, gave and even gave his lyf for us. Even Paul that was a travelling Evangelist, never collected from anybody, not even tithes or first fruits or offerings.

Offerings (Burnt, seed, drink, etc), Tithes and First Fruits are all parts of the law that Christ came to fulfil that we myt be liberated. If these Pastors can take us back to the Law by collecting Tithes, First fruits and Offerings, they should also take us back by carrying out Burnt offerings, Drink offerings, Lamb Sacrifices, Incense Burning and so on. So that we will know that even with the sacrifice of Christ (HIs Death), we are still under the law.

The bone of contention here is not on whether they are collecting money from people or enriching themselves, they are taking us back to the pre-Christian tyms. No one is judging them, but the truth remains that they are leading people away from God, instead of to God and professing a gospel that is inimical to the very doctrine on which Christianity is founded. Lyk my learned friends will always say: Irest my case, let God be the judge of us all.

Please, read Ecclesiates Chapter 12: Verses 13 & 14. Shalom!
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by rikoko: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
hmmmmmmmmmm! as dey wud always say church busines seems to be good business.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by donraja: 4:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
Big believer in wealth creation., Fine with me as long as they live a modest life and dont act like vagabonds.

SMS MYQUIZ to 33200 (MTN) and if you are on Etisalat to 3245. Soccer quiz will be sent to you when you get the question right, another question will be sent. Every question you get right gives you 20 points. Once you have 2000 p, oints call and redeem any of the prizes available. To check your points text MYQUIZP and you will see your total points. To see the list of prizes SMS PRIZE to any of the code that is for your network 33200 (MTN) and 3245 for (Etisalat). For the quad bike you need to get 4000 points. Remember the prizes are limited so if you are first to redeem it is gone other can only redeem the an item in the list that is still left
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by fultrackng: 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2011
what do u pple really want from the pastors? sometimes ago they were refered to as Church rats, good 4nothings but now the same pastors have become objects of envy and criticisms. i think if you can think of the pastors as fellow humans who have been able to distinguished themselves in their chosen vocation by hardwork and dedication then you would begin to appreciate them. for those of you who think pastoral work is the easiest way out, WHY NOT START YOUR OWN CHURCH NOW and begin to amass your own wealth. don't be deceived there is no vocation thats bread and butter. if you doubt me pls just go ahead and start your own church.

Mind you there are thousands of pastors, lawyers, engineers, bankers out there who wish they could quit now. in every vocation, there are those who would always shine above others and that should not call for jealousy or bitterness. if you celebrate others successes, your own would come. There are other Africans doing mega businesses but why is the name Dangote ringing bell, why Bill Gates etc.

your major concern should be how you too can workhard enough to achieve your own success in whatever vocation you have chosen to pursue. BE A NEWSMAKER NOT JUST A CONSUMER, thanksas
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Aboluwarin: 5:47pm On Jun 15, 2011
I can see you people having problem,why talking about men of God,when they started the ministry in suffering when they can feed them selves and family,turning hunger into fasting you dont see them to help,or God should try you with small of the experience. This is my 15yrs in ministry 10yrs of pastoring a church we just manage to get half plot of land for the church, you dont talk now.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Sike(m): 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2011
Abeg make all of una leave diz pastors alone jawe. If u'all r interested, it's all FREE! Go & join da club. Com'on, let dem enjoy dia lives keh. Haba!
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by fahdy2k: 7:56pm On Jun 15, 2011
Hello friends!  sad sad
I must say I feel the passion of each and everyone that have commented on this post. Blogging is not really part of me but I feel passionate also to share my view. Before I go ahead, may I proudly let you know that I am a born again Christian, spirit filled and a heaven seeker. I implore you to give some time in reading this epistle, I understand it may be long but I promised as I have learnt in yours you will surely take something away from this too, trust me.

It is really saddening to see what the Gospel of our lord Jesus Christ has been turned to today, I feel bad when I read about Pastors and the way they amass wealth in the name of God. It is now widely believed even by Christians that the ONLY way to show that God is really working in your life is with riches; yet Jesus was quick to rebuke this saying in Luke 12:15 (NLT) “ … Life is not measured by how much you own”. Nowadays, people go to church looking for overnight prosperity, we have come to believe all you need is give God a 1000 and He will give you back a million. Walking in Love and holiness is not really important again as long as you can give money, as if God will eat those monies. Friends, I think it is high time we woke up from our slumber. Someone commented earlier that “My people perish for lack of knowledge”, Yes! You are greatly right but in my own opinion, I believe this knowledge were those we left un-studied in the Bible, those hours we should have used to meditate on the word and times we should have used to pray but we never did – living only the Pastors to do it for us. It is then not surprising if we are fooled by the enticing words of human wisdom as said by Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians (1Cr. 2:4). I think we asked for it.

I want people (especially my brothers and sisters in Christ) to understand one thing here, do not let us see every comment against Pastors as slanders or whatever it might have been called. If we as Christians have been humble enough to imitate Jesus truly, do you think we will be attacked in this manner? If we Christians have taken it upon ourselves to shine and truly be the light of the world, wouldn’t this world truly be a better place as we await His coming? But the reverse is the case. Brothers and Sisters do not seek after walking in love again. We see the poor, the sick, the less privileged but we prefer to give all our money to this so called spiritual leaders than giving it to this unfortunate ones. Where then is that LOVE that we preach? Where is the God of LOVE that we proclaim we serve? Has He not manifested Himself in that dying child, that all he need is just a meal? Has He not show forth Himself in that family  whom all they needed is our financial support, but we will rather only tithe to that Church than giving our widows mite to such unfortunate people. I guess the book of John said it all (1 John 4:20) which I paraphrased: We are only pretending that we love God, it is obvious that we do not really love Him if we can see those in lack and all we can do is turn our eyes away from them. And Jesus Himself did not mix words in the book of Mathew 25: 34-46.

Another disappointing truth is that it is now the world that is showing us how to love. I felt grieved in my spirit when I read what the likes of Bill Gate, Mark Zuckerberg and Warren Buffet are lately doing with their wealth. My grieve was not in what they are doing for it’s a kind gesture but how I wished this would be said of us Christians especially the rich ones and our so called Spiritual Leaders. I know some Christians are very Charitable and I pray that God empower more of us in reaching out like this. The truth of the matter is that these folks I just mentioned are far from being Christians; as a matter of fact Zuckerberg just lately claimed he is an atheist. Yet his expression of love (which is what Christianity stands for) is amazing. Those three I just mentioned are probably the richest in the world yet they came together to sign a promise called “Giving Pledge” , in which they promised to donate to charity at least half of their wealth over the course of time. Put that word in quote in google to read more or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg . Yet our own spiritual leaders cling on to money as if that is what life is all about. Flying jets and building monuments with the blood of people. I called it blood because these are widows’ mite of a lot of Christians who have trusted them in the name of God and has been let down.

Friends! Have anyone of us here read about the life of someone like John Wesley, if you are interested please click on this link (http://www.urbana.org/articles/what-wesley-practiced-and-preached-about-money ) or just put into Google the word “John Wesley 28 pound” and you will find a lot of articles about him. This is a Pastor that revived the 18th century Christianity, tell me, do you think the world can say things like we hear about our Pastors today concerning this man who used most of his wealth to show what Christianity is all about? These days, the reverse is the case, if you are not grounded in the word of God, some Pastors will even make you doubt if there is truly heaven. Because the way they live does not add up to what they preach and what the Bible says.

Let us not forget that this same Christianity was brought to us by the Whites in those days, have we sat down to really think on how those folks preached it? They were not leaving like Kings yet they are Kings. They brought us Schools, gave us education, clothed us, built hospitals for our sick, and when they opened there mouth to tell us that Jesus is Love, we never needed to look too far. Their lives have shown it. Saint Peter Primary School, Saint Bernard Secondary School, Adventist Hospital etc. were in the community where I grow. The money paid to enjoy these facilities can never be compared to the investment. Look around you these days, virtually all the Churches including mine have a school yet a very large percentage of the members cannot afford it.  You will look at a brother who is an assiduous worker in the vineyard of God and what you see written all over his face is Poverty. But for the hope he has in Christ, he would have given up. And this is the same churches that will use billions to build camp grounds, use millions to build chapels and use millions to ride in big cars all in the name that our God is a big God.  Have we read about Solomon in the Bible and how the queen Sheba gasped seeing the man’s servants the way they were well kept and in wealth (2 Chronicles 9). Can we look at the life of Moses as he led the Children of Israelites – the man cannot even eat until the Israelites have eaten.

Where am I going with all this? I will just want to use this opportunity to challenge each and every one of us that we are the solution to this problem. It is important to note that Christianity is beautiful, and I have never regretted it since I got born again – I have been tremendously blessed spiritually and physically. In fact, it is live in its entirety so never miss out on being a practical born again Christian. Let us get back to the basis, let’s us practice Christianity the way it ought to be practiced. Let us be Charitable!!!. Instead of financing the frivolities of our so called spiritual leaders, let us spend time in discovering what God wants us to use our money for.  Let remember brothers in need, the sick, the poor, the orphans, widows etc.  Let’s invest in the poor – as a matter of fact it is a better investments compared to what they now use your money for today, it is as good as you are giving Jesus your money when you give to this unfortunate folks and scriptures confirms it (Mathew 25: 35-40). Let us acquire more wisdom in the word of God so that someone will not just mount the pulpit and in the name of God feed you with foolishness. Remember the Bible already warned us about it.

For my Christian brothers and sisters reading this, again I will say do not let us be fanatical about this whole thing. As we pray for these our leaders let us also watch, most of the allegations are true and we cannot run away from if we truly look inward. I pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to do His work of conviction in the lives of all Christians worldwide so that we can truly profess Jesus as He ought to be professed.

Thank you all for taking time to read my piece.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jun 15, 2011
fahdy2k:

Hello friends!  sad sad
I must say I feel the passion of each and everyone that have commented on this post. Blogging is not really part of me but I feel passionate also to share my view. Before I go ahead, may I proudly let you know that I am a born again Christian, spirit filled and a heaven seeker. I implore you to give some time in reading this epistle, I understand it may be long but I promised as I have learnt in yours you will surely take something away from this too, trust me.

It is really saddening to see what the Gospel of our lord Jesus Christ has been turned to today, I feel bad when I read about Pastors and the way they amass wealth in the name of God. It is now widely believed even by Christians that the ONLY way to show that God is really working in your life is with riches; yet Jesus was quick to rebuke this saying in Luke 12:15 (NLT) “ … Life is not measured by how much you own”. Nowadays, people go to church looking for overnight prosperity, we have come to believe all you need is give God a 1000 and He will give you back a million. Walking in Love and holiness is not really important again as long as you can give money, as if God will eat those monies. Friends, I think it is high time we woke up from our slumber. Someone commented earlier that “My people perish for lack of knowledge”, Yes! You are greatly right but in my own opinion, I believe this knowledge were those we left un-studied in the Bible, those hours we should have used to meditate on the word and times we should have used to pray but we never did – living only the Pastors to do it for us. It is then not surprising if we are fooled by the enticing words of human wisdom as said by Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians (1Cr. 2:4). I think we asked for it.

I want people (especially my brothers and sisters in Christ) to understand one thing here, do not let us see every comment against Pastors as slanders or whatever it might have been called. If we as Christians have been humble enough to imitate Jesus truly, do you think we will be attacked in this manner? If we Christians have taken it upon ourselves to shine and truly be the light of the world, wouldn’t this world truly be a better place as we await His coming? But the reverse is the case. Brothers and Sisters do not seek after walking in love again. We see the poor, the sick, the less privileged but we prefer to give all our money to this so called spiritual leaders than giving it to this unfortunate ones. Where then is that LOVE that we preach? Where is the God of LOVE that we proclaim we serve? Has He not manifested Himself in that dying child, that all he need is just a meal? Has He not show forth Himself in that family  whom all they needed is our financial support, but we will rather only tithe to that Church than giving our widows mite to such unfortunate people. I guess the book of John said it all (1 John 4:20) which I paraphrased: We are only pretending that we love God, it is obvious that we do not really love Him if we can see those in lack and all we can do is turn our eyes away from them. And Jesus Himself did not mix words in the book of Mathew 25: 34-46.

Another disappointing truth is that it is now the world that is showing us how to love. I felt grieved in my spirit when I read what the likes of Bill Gate, Mark Zuckerberg and Warren Buffet are lately doing with their wealth. My grieve was not in what they are doing for it’s a kind gesture but how I wished this would be said of us Christians especially the rich ones and our so called Spiritual Leaders. I know some Christians are very Charitable and I pray that God empower more of us in reaching out like this. The truth of the matter is that these folks I just mentioned are far from being Christians; as a matter of fact Zuckerberg just lately claimed he is an atheist. Yet his expression of love (which is what Christianity stands for) is amazing. Those three I just mentioned are probably the richest in the world yet they came together to sign a promise called “Giving Pledge” , in which they promised to donate to charity at least half of their wealth over the course of time. Put that word in quote in google to read more or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg . Yet our own spiritual leaders cling on to money as if that is what life is all about. Flying jets and building monuments with the blood of people. I called it blood because these are widows’ mite of a lot of Christians who have trusted them in the name of God and has been let down.

Friends! Have anyone of us here read about the life of someone like John Wesley, if you are interested please click on this link (http://www.urbana.org/articles/what-wesley-practiced-and-preached-about-money ) or just put into Google the word “John Wesley 28 pound” and you will find a lot of articles about him. This is a Pastor that revived the 18th century Christianity, tell me, do you think the world can say things like we hear about our Pastors today concerning this man who used most of his wealth to show what Christianity is all about? These days, the reverse is the case, if you are not grounded in the word of God, some Pastors will even make you doubt if there is truly heaven. Because the way they live does not add up to what they preach and what the Bible says.

Let us not forget that this same Christianity was brought to us by the Whites in those days, have we sat down to really think on how those folks preached it? They were not leaving like Kings yet they are Kings. They brought us Schools, gave us education, clothed us, built hospitals for our sick, and when they opened there mouth to tell us that Jesus is Love, we never needed to look too far. Their lives have shown it. Saint Peter Primary School, Saint Bernard Secondary School, Adventist Hospital etc. were in the community where I grow. The money paid to enjoy these facilities can never be compared to the investment. Look around you these days, virtually all the Churches including mine have a school yet a very large percentage of the members cannot afford it.  You will look at a brother who is an assiduous worker in the vineyard of God and what you see written all over his face is Poverty. But for the hope he has in Christ, he would have given up. And this is the same churches that will use billions to build camp grounds, use millions to build chapels and use millions to ride in big cars all in the name that our God is a big God.  Have we read about Solomon in the Bible and how the queen Sheba gasped seeing the man’s servants the way they were well kept and in wealth (2 Chronicles 9). Can we look at the life of Moses as he led the Children of Israelites – the man cannot even eat until the Israelites have eaten.

Where am I going with all this? I will just want to use this opportunity to challenge each and every one of us that we are the solution to this problem. It is important to note that Christianity is beautiful, and I have never regretted it since I got born again – I have been tremendously blessed spiritually and physically. In fact, it is live in its entirety so never miss out on being a practical born again Christian. Let us get back to the basis, let’s us practice Christianity the way it ought to be practiced. Let us be Charitable!!!. Instead of financing the frivolities of our so called spiritual leaders, let us spend time in discovering what God wants us to use our money for.  Let remember brothers in need, the sick, the poor, the orphans, widows etc.  Let’s invest in the poor – as a matter of fact it is a better investments compared to what they now use your money for today, it is as good as you are giving Jesus your money when you give to this unfortunate folks and scriptures confirms it (Mathew 25: 35-40). Let us acquire more wisdom in the word of God so that someone will not just mount the pulpit and in the name of God feed you with foolishness. Remember the Bible already warned us about it.

For my Christian brothers and sisters reading this, again I will say do not let us be fanatical about this whole thing. As we pray for these our leaders let us also watch, most of the allegations are true and we cannot run away from if we truly look inward. I pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to do His work of conviction in the lives of all Christians worldwide so that we can truly profess Jesus as He ought to be professed.

Thank you all for taking time to read my piece.

Outstanding post!
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by devmantic(m): 10:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
Tithing?

A New Covenant Look At An Old Covenant Practice

by Jon Zens
Searching Together

A very strong appeal has been made to promote the practice of Tithing in a book of that title by R.T. Kendall. It received glowing reviews in the British evangelical press. However, it contains nothing new and it may prove to be a trap for those who are least able to discern truth from error in the light of Scripture. Careful study of the subject of giving in the Bible is required, having regard for sound principles of exegesis. What follows is an attempt to supply such a need.

Like all books of this nature, Dr. Kendall's work is strong on testimonies from experience, and very weak with reference to sound hermeneutics. In this study no store will be placed on experiences. Rather, only Scripture will be examined, and Scripture will interpret Scripture. This is not intended to be a refutation of the book, but an attempt to let God's Word speak on the matter of giving, and display the errors of those who teach that tithing is a New Testament requirement. At times the book will be referred to, but this is only to illustrate that it is typical of the doctrine as it is generally taught. First, the doctrine of tithing will be examined, and then, secondly, the New Testament view of giving will be unfolded.

AN EXAMINATION OF TITHING

Malachi 3:8-10 is always the key text used to support tithing. Little care is ever taken to exegete these verses in light of Scripture itself, and the meaning of individual words is badly distorted by assuming that they intend what has no support in the Word of God. It is therefore necessary to examine this passage, and several particular words in some detail. It is always assumed by those who press tithing on the believer that:

"Tithes and offerings" = the same thing.

"Tithes and offerings" = the giving of money.

"Tithes and offerings" = giving a fixed percentage of one's income on a regular basis. The only controversy is whether it should be based on gross or net income.

"Storehouse"= "Church."

There are in the verses themselves safeguards against their misuse, but they are ignored by those who propound this doctrine.

Much is always made of the first clause of Ma1.3:8, "Will a man rob God?" Like all teaching which seeks to impose laws on the believer's conscience, guilt is always used first. It is simple psychology to impose a sense of guilt on the conscience so that the imposition of a regulation might bind others more effectively. These teachers pass the emphasis directly from the first clause of Ma1.3:8 to the last clause, "in tithes and offerings.'' It is here that the first error is made, that is, that "tithes and offerings" are the same thing. They are, in fact, two distinct and separate teachings of the Old Testament worship. The second assumption is that these "tithes and offerings'' have to do with a fixed percentage, and that this amount is to be given to the "Church." which is the "storehouse." Finally, it is assumed that there is an obligation upon the New Testament believer in accordance with these assumptions, and that this fulfills one's obligations in the matter of giving. As we shall see, each and every one of these assumptions is contrary to the truth.

Both of the words used. "tithes and offerings," have their origins in the Old Testament law. They are both specific parts of ceremonial laws which, by all standards of exegesis, have been abrogated by the work of Christ. Yet the teachers of tithing as a new covenant practice, who on other matters accept that the ceremonial laws have passed away, not only accuse those who disagree with error, but commonly pronounce as sinful any refusal to tithe.

CEREMONIAL TITHING

Leviticus 27:30-33. Notice that the tithe relates to the fruit of the land, or of the tree, or of the flock. Nowhere in Scripture is the tithe of anything else ever taught. R.T. Kendall quotes Lev.27:30 on five occasions in his book, but only once in full (p.46). In the other four instances only the first and last parts of the verse are quoted: "All the tithe . . . is the Lord's.'' Yet the part of the verse omitted defines and qualifies the subject of the tithe, the fruit of the land and the fruit of the flock. There is not one reference in the Word of God to the tithing of money.

Numbers 18:24-52. In verse 24 we read that the tithes were offered as a heave-offering to the Lord for the Levites. The further instruction is given to the Levites to tithe the tithe and offer the tenth part of the tithe as a heave-offering. The nine-tenths was for the maintenance of the Levite who had no inheritance in the Promised Land.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29. In accordance with Deut.12:5, the tithe was to be brought to the place of God's choosing. If, however, the place was too far, provision is made in the law to direct how the tithe should be used. This passage shows that the Lord did not intend the tithe to be a rigid burden upon the Israelite who lived far away from the appointed place of worship. He was to sell the goods that constituted his tithe, and then take the proceeds to the appointed place. He was not to offer the money to the Lord. Instead, he was to provide himself with the necessities for a feast of rejoicing, including the consumption of alcoholic beverages. The choice was his: ''whatsoever your soul desires" (v.26).

In verses 28-29, the triennial tithe was to be kept "within your gates" (not taken to the appointed place), and the Levite, stranger, fatherless and widow are to come.

Conclusion. It is clear from these passages that tithing was ordained by God with a twofold purpose. First, as a provision for the Levites, and secondly as a part of a systematic legal worship, in order that they might learn to fear the Lord (Deut.14:23).

Deuteronomy 26:12-19. At the triennial tithe a rededication is commanded of the Israelite, thus reinforcing the legal nature of the practice. Obedience to law carries the divine promise to His Old Covenant people, Israel. Does the New Testament teacher of tithing believe that the Christian is under the Old Testament ceremonial law? Does he also teach that obedience to this commandment brings the blessings ordained by God to the Old Covenant people? If so, on what grounds? Is the Christian under this ceremonial law and no other?

CEREMONIAL OFFERINGS

The laws of offerings are found in Lev. l:l to 4:12. These were the ceremonial sacrifices demanded by God:

The Burnt Offering, chapter 1.

The Peace Offering, chapter 3.

The Sin Offering, chapter 4.

It is interesting to observe that Mary and Joseph complied with the provisions of Lev.5:7 in Luke 2:24. "They were not able to bring a lamb," indicating that they were poor people.

As we can see, "tithes and offerings'' have nothing to do with the giv- ing of money or regular giving of income, but are rather related to the ordained worship of God in the Old Covenant age.

STOREHOUSE

We are further told by teachers of tithing that "storehouse" means "Church." Such an assumption is totally without foundation by all accepted standards of exegesis. Serious exposition of this word is always avoided, and recourse is made to the psychological argument, "I believe," "in my view," etc. Great stock is put in "testimonies," often cited as evidence for tithing or as irrefutable indication that God "honors" those who tithe. By this method the motive for tithing becomes very dubious. The desire to prosper materially takes precedence over that of spiritual prosperity. A popular statement used to support this idea is "God is no man's debtor," and other remarks in the same vein. Appeal is often made to famous writers or preachers to support this view, and their opinions are then quoted as if they possessed some authority.

This demonstrates a serious departure from the evangelical standard of sola Scriptura - the Scripture only. The "storehouse" of Mal. 3:10 has reference to the Temple, which in the New Testament passed away. The Temple typified Christ. It was a shadow, and when the antitype came all types and shadows were fulfilled. There is no ordained place of worship under the New Covenant (John 4:21-23). To identify, therefore, the storehouse with the church building, or the place where the assembly meets, is false exegesis.

The claim is made that because Abraham offered tithes in Gen.14:17-20, it can be maintained that tithing is pre-law and therefore valid for the Messiah's age. However, within the context of Gen.l4 are certain statements which do not support this view. Abraham gave tithes of the spoils of battle. Nowhere is it stated that he did this with his income or his flocks and crops. The Scripture does not indicate that Abraham made tithing a regular weekly, monthly, or annual event.

GIVING OF MONEY IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

There are two references in the Old Testament to the giving of money.

Exodus 30:11-16. This giving was neither offered to the Lord, nor was it a tenth. It was a fixed sum, a shekel, given to men who had been numbered, and was called "atonement money." Half-a-shekel was to be given by the person numbered as an offering to the Lord. The word "offering" is used here in the sense of a gift, not as a ritual sacrifice.

Leviticus 5: 15-19. This was part of the trespass offering with reference to sins of ignorance, not against the Law of God, hut in the "holy things" of the Lord. Lev.S:17ff. makes it clear that the offering of money had no part in the offerings to be made for breaches of the law.

For the Biblical origins monetary giving specifically to the Lord, or to the Temple, we must turn to 2 Kings 12 in the reign of Joash, and to 2 Kings 22 during the reign of Josiah. This financial giving was used for the upkeep of the Temple. The idea originated in the mind of Joash, and it must be noted that it was never commanded by God in the Mosaic Law.

It is remarkable that no percentage is suggested or commanded in either passage. It had no sacrificial or worship motive behind it, and was quite distinct from the tithes and offerings.

In Haggai 1:1-7. we see that the people had allowed the Temple to deteriorate, while they lived in affluence. Because of this they are told to reconsider their ways. It is striking that they are nowhere rebuked for not tithing, and no mention is made of "robbing God.''

The "treasury" is found in Mark 12 and Luke 21 in the accounts of the widow's mite. It is interesting to note that by this time the "treasury" had developed from a "chest" in 2 Kings 12. There is no suggestion of tithing in the account of the widow's mite. The Lord did not commend either the wealthy or the widow for tithing. She was praised for giving 'all her living." given out of love for the Lord.

NEW TESTAMENT PRINCIPLES

Matthew 23:23. Great stress is laid on this text by advocates of tithing as a New Covenant duty. It is the only place in the Gospels where the Lord mentions the word "tithe." Serious misuse of Scripture occurs when this verse is employed in such a manner.

This practice is called "proof-text theology" - the use of a verse or even part of a verse, out of its context, to establish a doctrine. It is usually found to be the only verse in the whole Bible which even vaguely refers to the topic. Often, a more careful reading of the passage will quickly reveal serious discrepancies between the verse and the doctrine being taught. Sometimes it is a little more subtle and a detailed explanation of the verse in the light of the whole Bible is required. The most common problem is that time and tradition have associated the proof-text with the doctrine, and it comes to be widely accepted and believed. But the age of a doctrine does not validate it, nor do the numbers or credentials of those who teach or believe it. The Scriptures alone, correctly interpreted, must be our authority.

Matthew 23 deals with the Lord's condemnation of the Pharisees for their hypocrisy, for their misuse of the law, and for their wresting the Scriptures in order to impose legal bondage on the people. It is remarkable that a verse from this chapter is used to establish tithing, the very place where the Lord is showing His attitude toward those who misuse the Word of God. Those who profess to be evangelical in doctrine and practice condemn the cults and Rome for the very thing they do in the case of tithing.

The modern teachers of tithing stress the last clause of verse 23, teaching that the Lord's words sanction tithing as a duty today. "Not to leave the other undone." we are told, shows that the Lord reaffirmed tithing in the Messianic age. The Pharisees had become meticulous in tithing mint and cummin, but had in the process neglected the "weightier matters" of the law. They are exhorted not to neglect judgment, mercy and faith. He then tells them "not to leave the other undone," because under the law there was a place for tithing. Again, remember that money is not being tithed, but the fruit of` the soil - herbs, mint and cummin! The Lord does not suggest that tithing will be the standard of giving in His kingdom. The law was in force "until the Seed [Christ] should come" (Ga1.3:19,25). The Lord throughout His ministry kept showing how the Jews had perverted the law into a means of salvation, when in fact the Old Testament pointed forward to the Messiah who was to come.

Because our Lord was born "under law." and mingled with many whose allegiance was to the Torah, there are a number of statements in the Gospels which assume that the law is in force. The fact that Paul designates believers as not "under law,'' is a crucial perspective that qualifies our ethical relationship to verses like Matt.23:23.

To determine New Testament norms for giving we refer to other specific passages which deal with the subject, and clearly illustrate the early church's approach to giving.

There are two main objects for giving in the New Testament:

The support of believers in need. This was not a part of the budget in New Testament assemblies - it was the budget!

The support of elders.

Acts 11:27-30. We are told here that a prophecy was given from the Lord that a famine would seriously affect the believers in Judea. In verse 29 we read that the disciples "every person according to their ability, determined to send relief . . ." The foundation of their giving was not conceived of in terms of percentages, but in terms of the New Commandment - "as I have loved you, love one another'' (John 13:34; 1 John 3:16-18). Those who read tithing into this passage are finding a foreign element to the text itself.

I Corinthians 16:1-4. The same principle applies here. The reason for giving is again the need of other believers. The determining factor was "as God has prospered each" or "according to one's income" (NIV). It is an unwarrantable assumption to read tithing into this statement. This is affirmed in 2 Corinthians 8, the sequel to this letter.

2 Corinthians 8,9. In verses 2-3 we learn that the churches of Macedonia had given more than they could reasonably afford. Throughout the rest of the chapter Paul goes on to encourage the Corinthian church to emulate them. He uses several lines of argument to encourage them. He had sent Titus(v.6). He listed their "graces" (v.7. He makes it clear that he is not commanding them to give. If tithing is the standard, is it not strange that Paul never "settles" the issue of giving by simply referring to a ten percent method? He tells them that he does not intend for them to go without while others have abundance (v.13), and reiterates the principles of equality (v.14). Over and over he places before them a variety of reasons as to why they should give in this case - but tithing is never a reference point. He closes chapter 8 with the confession that he has been boasting of them.

He begins chapter 9 by stating that it is unnecessary for him to write to them about giving (vv.l-2). In verses 6 -7 we see the foundation principle again: "according as he purposes in his heart." He reinforces the argument by saying, "not grudgingly, or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.'' Nowhere among his many words about giving does Paul mention tithing.

I Corinthians 16:1-4. The expression "in store" is sometimes used to support the "storehouse" found in Malachi. The phrase "in store" actually means to save up in a kind of "piggy bank." The Greek words par heauto mean "by oneself" or "at home." The idea behind Paul's remark is that they should accumulate their gifts (which could include money and other goods, like raisins), so that when his company arrived Paul would not have to make any special effort to consummate the collection. R.T. Kendall uses this phrase in the "storehouse" = "Church" sense.

Hebrews 7:1-10. Most teachers of tithing use this passage at the core of their argument. It is the only New Testament passage which makes any real reference to the matter. It is used as a proof-text to establish the idea that tithing was practiced before the law was given at Sinai. Since this is recorded in the New Testament, it is affirmed that tithing still applies after the law has been abrogated.

The context, however, shows that this was not the case. Hebrews was written to show that Christ is the fulfillment of all the types and shadows of the former era, and that Christ is superior to the Levitical priesthood. These verses establish that the Levitical priesthood was subordinate to the priesthood of Melchizadek. To use these verses as proof that tithing is yet obligatory for believers is to use them out of context for a purpose other than that for which they were given. Hebrews 7 in context is not dealing with Christian giving, but with the superiority of Christ. We have examined texts where New Covenant giving is in view, and tithing is never enforced. This observation must be allowed to have hermeneutical force.

THE SUPPORT OF ELDERS

The support of elders in the New Testament is established in the following Scriptures: Ga1.6:6-10; Phi1.4:I0-20; 2 Thess.3:6-9; I Tim.5:17-18; and Heb. 13: 16-17.

It is clear from these passages that the elders should have the support of the assembly, but it is not something to which they may claim entitlement. The obligation is laid upon the church to support them, but the object of elders is not financial gain or material advancement, but to be servants in Christ's body. The assembly should, however, return material good for the spiritual benefits they receive from the elders' ministry. At the same time, the elders cannot demand that the church support them - all things must be done in mutual love and self-giving. This approach fulfills the obligations of submitting to one another, of esteeming one another better than oneself, and of bearing one another's burdens.

It will be noticed that some of the Scriptures cited above refer specifically to the support of apostles. The principle, however, is the same in each case. The believer should - out of love for the Lord and for those who teach good things from the Word - give of his material blessings.

CONCLUSION

The motive for giving in the New Testament age is not obedience to a tithing-law, but response to Christ's redemptive love for us, which brings us to care for others (1 John 3:16-18). The amount given is in accordance to a person's ability (Acts 11:29), and as the Lord has prospered (1 Cor.16:2). This also governs the frequency of giving. The rich are able to give of their abundance in readiness. The poor give out of their poverty, sacrificially.

To those who have faithfully tithed, perhaps for many years, you have acted according to the light you have had. Examine these matters in light of the Word, and if what has been said in this article is in accordance with the truth as it is in Jesus, then you must adjust your practice accordingly. If you see that the New Covenant perspective is not compatible with a percentage approach to giving, then tithing must give way to the truth.

Tithing is a deeply engrained tradition, and therefore it is not surprising if many sincere believers assume it to be God's expectation in giving. The Lord looks on the heart, and for those who have faithfully given according to the light given, they have nothing to be ashamed of. When we learn further truth, however, we must lay aside tradition and be faithful to the truth.

The New Testament principle is giving from the heart, cheerfully, out of love and in light of Christ's sacrifice (2 Cor.8:9). We must give in secret in order that the Father who sees in secret may reward us openly. Those who sow sparingly will reap sparingly. This may be true with many who tithe. They could be giving far more than a tenth of their income, but satisfy their conscience by going back to the beggarly element of the old ceremonial laws.
Re: Nigeria's Pastors 'As Rich As Oil Barons' by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
Floyet,nobody is judging anyone.PPl here are only asking why is it that some of these wealthy Pastors are exploiting their congregation under the name of GOd.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Trinitarians - Is there One Throne In Heaven Or Three ? / Everyone Pray For Sonofluc1fer Who's On NAIRALAND, He Is POSSESSED.. / “in Every Hour, 667 Muslims Convert To Christianity." Sheikh Ahmad Al Qataani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.