Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa (10982 Views)

Andoni Ethnic Nationality (obolo As They Love To Be Called) / Which Ethnic Nationality Has The Most Diverse / Best Dance Moves? / Are Igbos The Lost Descendents Of The Jews? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by nwaafo1: 1:00am On Jun 15, 2011
AN EXTRACT FROM NWIMO'S COMMENT ON VANGUARD,

The Igbos need to start appreciating their strength and what they have, in order to leverage those better in Nigeria or wherever they find themselves, which is now everywhere. The Igbo used be a landlocked Equatorial Rain Forest tribe, with warlords and intractable inter communal conflicts, among other good social and economic redeeming group qualities. That is how the White man found them and testified to by no other than Professor Chinua Achebe, in the highly critically acclaimed epoch novel:Things Fall Apart. Compare that to where they are now despite all odds placed in their tracks: from this landlocked rain forest locale to a very thriving world wide Diaspora, all in a little over100 years. This is no mean accomplishment and part of it is easily accreditable to their civil war experience and being handed the short end of the stick in Nigeria, since then. Somebody mentioned Germany supporting Biafra? Nothing could be more contradictory. Avoiding war or supporting one is enshrined in the German Constitution, after the debacle foisted on Germans as a result of the nationalistic excesses of the Third Reich. The easiest way to lose election in Germany, is advocating Germany that would assert itself, outside its borders. Germany could have reasserted itself on global scale since then, but just like Japan, they chose not to, leaving war mongering to the conquering former USSR, US and the UK, which social and economic fabric is continually being eroded by their self imposed status of Policemen of world, since WWII. USSR of course, imploded under the weight of Super Power Status. Germany and Japan continue to prosper with social and economic policies that make their people one of the happiest in the world, while their conquerors straddle themselves with the burden of imperialism. The Igbo should not give up on what they believe is their right in a country they are supposedly held hostage, but should also emulate other nations and people, with similar history, the Jews included, in handling their internal affairs. Being part of Nigeria does not take away the innate attributes of being Igbo. Though, under a quasi-confederation, the Igbo was at his best, before the war and under Nigeria. That is the magic that needs to be reinvented and is more sorely missing than not producing a president yet. What did the rest do with their opportunities;earned or otherwise? The Southwest is what it is today due to Awo and to UPN, when their people were in opposition. They were enhanced during their stint of sharing the bed with the Hausa/Fulani, just like every other group, except the Igbo. Most of the gains have evaporated in most of Nigeria, leaving unmaintained dilapidated and elephant projects, that were never supposed to be in those places, to begin with, like some airports and refinery, in the North. The Yoruba Southwest is resilient because of the good psychological foundation their leaders laid for them. The Igbo and to some extent, the North lost theirs. Igbos need to regain group cohesion and love for the common good. This was the psychology that propelled the Igbo out its former myriad of little Rain Forest "Nation States", where every village existed without regard to its other tiny neighbor, to a true integrated nation, in a little more than 100 years! The experience of the Igbo in Nigeria, is not all gloom and doom. It has some silver lining and for the religious, the hand of God. The Igbo is always the next in population, after the indigenes, in any state in Nigeria. Estimated population in Lagos State alone is over 40%, the largest concentration of the Igbo, outside the Southeast zone. Beyond the shores of Nigeria, a very viable Diaspora has developed, with a second generation Igbos that are holding their own in all spheres of endeavors in the US and Canada. There is a vibrant Igbo Diaspora, even in the cold Helsinki, Finland to which the all important Nokia phones are natives. It can boast of blond and blue eyed Igbo children. What of China, Libya, Japan and Korea? A popular saying in Nigeria is "its condition that make crayfish bend". In the case of the Igbo in Nigeria, these hazardous conditions, are not without long term benefits for the Igbo and Nigeria. The blond hair and blue eye Igbo kid in Helsinki will one day work for Nokia as a Finish citizen, from who no industry secret, would be hidden from. Like the Chinese, Jews(Israel), Koreans who were developed by their Diaspora, these benefits are lurking there, to be harvested pretty soon, by Nigeria. Their recent history of persecution has made the Igbo less insular and less discriminatory of where to call home in large numbers:Togo, Benin Republic, South Africa, Ghana, Botswana, Swaziland, Ghana, Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Liberia, the Cameroons. Just name it, the ubiquitous Igbo is there! Its something to celebrate and not to anguish over. In history, the predator goes before the prey and the latter is forced into fast adaptation, in other to survive! Let me end with this story. A certain blue blood Fulani was once Nigerian Ambassador to the US. In one of his rare question and answer sessions with Nigerians at an embassy social event, a certain Igbo stood up, ranted and raved about the Igbo experience in Nigeria and how they were denied admission through quota system and other "Affirmative Action" programs, for which Nigeria was notorious for instituting only in the areas they believed Igbos had advantages. The well known brilliant academic, veritable administrator and politician turned diplomat, asked the Hausa/Fulani in the audience to stand up. They could be counted with the fingers found on one hand. Same went to most other Nigerians of other ethnic extractions. When it came to the turn of the Igbos, they were over 90% of the audience. The ambassador concluded by telling the obviously aggrieved Igbo in the audience, that the make up of the audience clearly showed that whatever discriminatory policies they were accused of perpetrating on the Igbos did not work. In fact, it failed woefully in the face of what the Igbo has accomplished in the US and all over the world, where they were forced into the status of economic refugees, by policies against them at home. Igbos must lift themselves out of self pity in Nigeria;acknowledge and celebrate their accomplishments worldwide and work hard in reviving all those innate abilities that let them flourish in Nigeria of the 60s in academia, business, industry, sport, the military, the police, federal civil service, etc. The Igbo must not drop his guard and succumb to corruption, because everyone else around him is doing it. I refuse to continue to subscribe to persecution mentality/complex the Igbo has exhibited since 1970 or languish in self pity. No matter what is thrown to them by other groups, the Igbo has done well as individuals, regardless. He is far his own worse enemy, when it comes to his group interest. The group eternal vigilance and protection mantra need to be regained. It is more sorely needed in Nigeria and the Igbo Diaspora, than the Nigerian Presidency.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 15, 2011
Igbo's are the salt of Nigeria. The phenomenon called Nigeria remains tasteless without Igbos. Otherwise, what is holding Pharaoh to release,

1 Like

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
my People, still loading
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by nwaafo1: 2:31pm On Jun 15, 2011
we made it so
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
Okoro2015:

Igbo's are the salt of Nigeria. The phenomenon called Nigeria remains tasteless without Igbos. Otherwise, what is holding Pharaoh to release,

i dont lyk salt.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

i dont lyk salt.

That has been our issue with Nigeria, You don't like salt, why insist on using it? They r borrowing a leaf from the Ape who said he doesn't eat meat but offers to use his Teeth to share it,

3 Likes

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:53pm On Jun 15, 2011
whos using it i lyk my meat raw n bloody. cool
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 10:34pm On Jun 15, 2011
Would be better (and more believable) if the article was done in Igbo.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 10:46pm On Jun 15, 2011
When you compare Igboland (where the biggest achievements of the Igbo are made. . . . .or are supposed to) and a place like south western South Africa or Tunisia, I really don't see the need for celebration. The Igbo seem to be one of the worst at preserving their culture, picking up everything from the outside and calling it their own (wearing "uniforms" to funerals, issues with modesty, naming their children names of which they know no meaning), the Igbo also have a bad attitude to their language, even when someone manages to manage the language or teach their child the language, it's Engligbo. Let's not talk about Igbo people fleeing to another man's land to become somebody machete sharpener. What about all the poverty and suffering and poor infrastructure in Igboland, even if they are the best in Nigeria?

What really is there to celebrate when there are more than 100,000 Igbo in the UK and US and their language or even their presence is not recognised, yet an immigrant community in their hundreds can be recognised before them because they have pride in themselves and where they come from.

There are better-doing ethnic groups who do not need to open up a thread on a forum in the country that once sealed off their sovereignty claiming to be successful. Until the Igbo can reach the economic/living standard heights and worldwide influential power of a group like the Japanese, or the Koreans, or the Scandinavians, I really don't see the need for celebration, only luck in being the best of the worst in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 11:00pm On Jun 15, 2011
nwa afo:

The Igbo used be a landlocked Equatorial Rain Forest tribe, with warlords and intractable inter communal conflicts, among other good social and economic redeeming group qualities. That is how the White man found them and testified to by no other than Professor Chinua Achebe, in the highly critically acclaimed epoch novel:Things Fall Apart. Compare that to where they are now despite all odds placed in their tracks: from this landlocked rain forest locale to a very thriving world wide Diaspora, all in a little over100 years.

nwa afo:

This was the psychology that propelled the Igbo out its former myriad of little Rain Forest "Nation States", where every village existed without regard to its other tiny neighbor, to a true integrated nation, in a little more than 100 years!

nwa afo:

It can boast of blond and blue eyed Igbo children. [. . .] The blond hair and blue eye Igbo kid in Helsinki will one day work for Nokia as a Finish citizen, from who no industry secret, would be hidden from.

Who wrote this shit?
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:16am On Jun 16, 2011
ezeagu:

When you compare Igboland (where the biggest achievements of the Igbo are made. . . . .or are supposed to) and a place like south western South Africa or Tunisia, I really don't see the need for celebration. The Igbo seem to be one of the worst at preserving their culture, picking up everything from the outside and calling it their own (wearing "uniforms" to funerals, issues with modesty, naming their children names of which they know no meaning), the Igbo also have a bad attitude to their language, even when someone manages to manage the language or teach their child the language, it's Engligbo. Let's not talk about Igbo people fleeing to another man's land to become somebody machete sharpener. What about all the poverty and suffering and poor infrastructure in Igboland, even if they are the best in Nigeria?

What really is there to celebrate when there are more than 100,000 Igbo in the UK and US and their language or even their presence is not recognised, yet an immigrant community in their hundreds can be recognised before them because they have pride in themselves and where they come from.

There are better-doing ethnic groups who do not need to open up a thread on a forum in the country that once sealed off their sovereignty claiming to be successful. Until the Igbo can reach the economic/living standard heights and worldwide influential power of a group like the Japanese, or the Koreans, or the Scandinavians, I really don't see the need for celebration, only luck in being the best of the worst in Africa.

true.true.true. The Igbos it seems r gettin too proud. i mean look at d Japs, i have neva seen ppeople who have progressed to such extents and are yet soo culturally oriented and have preserved their traditional religion, language and culture. God bless them.

whereas our Igbo, it seems, are losing all 3 of them. God help them. cheesy cheesy
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by WhiteMan1: 1:31am On Jun 16, 2011
true.true.true. The Igbos it seems r gettin too proud. i mean look at d Japs, i have neva seen ppeople who have progressed to such extents and are yet soo culturally oriented and have preserved their traditional religion, language and culture. God bless them.

Japans old news man, haven't you heard about the new masterace go on this forum http://krautchan.net/int/ they will tell who is truly the masterace of the world man

BTW dem igbos got nothin on the Boers man, dutch pride worldwide grin
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:07am On Jun 16, 2011
na. i find dutch too fat n s.tupid. i srsly wonder whos dutch here cuz if der r any here (God forbid), den dey must immediately do a skin n gender n name transplant.  cool
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Dede1(m): 8:32pm On Jun 16, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

whereas our Igbo, it seems, are losing all 3 of them. God help them. cheesy cheesy

This is a classic true statement about Ndigbo and in contrast with Japanese. When a person of Igbo extraction embraces cultural orientation which is homely to Igbo ethnicity, the ardent critic is definitely another Igbo who is delusional about 21st century and unfounded education.

Any group of people who forgot where they started a journey will never get to the destination. Japan has not forgotten about its culture amidst advancement in technology and education. Every level of education is impacted through Japanese language not English, French, Chinese, German or Spanish.

I guess Nigeria which is a product of colonialism remains stumbling block. Personally, I do not see any success in Igbo land since the area can not be regarded as nation state.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 10:54pm On Jun 16, 2011
Dede1:
Any group of people who forgot where they started a journey will never get to the destination. Japan has not forgotten about its culture amidst advancement in technology and education. Every level of education is impacted through Japanese language not English, French, Chinese, German or Spanish.

Dede1:

Personally, I do not see any success in Igbo land since the area can not be regarded as nation state.

[center]Kpom! Kwem![/center]

If there was success in Igboland, people would be so forward thinking that they will be angry that an Igbo country hasn't reached Mars yet. People from successful countries are too busy trying to think of ways to get themselves and their nation (the true definition, an extended family) to the next frontier, which is why you would never see a 'Japanese are the most successful ethnic nationality in Asia' thread, at least from a Japanese.

1 Like

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:00pm On Jun 17, 2011
ezeagu:

[center]Kpom! Kwem![/center]

If there was success in Igboland, people would be so forward thinking that they will be angry that an Igbo country hasn't reached Mars yet. People from successful countries are too busy trying to think of ways to get themselves and their nation (the true definition, an extended family) to the next frontier, which is why you would never see a 'Japanese are the most successful ethnic nationality in Asia' thread, at least from a Japanese.

one must never be too proud. especially if he has nothing. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by pcmadu(m): 9:16am On Jun 18, 2011
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 5:28pm On Jun 18, 2011
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:37pm On Jun 18, 2011
wat nxt Chinese askin 2 accept Igbo

1 Like

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ChinenyeN(m): 6:38pm On Jun 18, 2011
Ezeagu & Dede1, there's no other way to say it. I agree with you two 100%

1 Like

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nayah(f): 1:41am On Jun 19, 2011
Have you ever heard about Bamiléké tribe? if yes you'll rethink about your post. I think people should stop looking for supremacy over others, everybody has it goods and bads, as soon as you'll get it our people will evolve/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by MrsChima(f): 1:52am On Jun 19, 2011
PO THANGS.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by tpia5: 3:57am On Jun 19, 2011
there's little phenotypical difference between bamilekes and igbos, for real.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by igboboy1(m): 5:34am On Jun 19, 2011
tpia@:

there's little phenotypical difference between bamilekes and igbos, for real.

there is no pphenotypical difference between yorubas and somalis
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by tpia5: 5:44am On Jun 19, 2011
^^i have no idea why you're catching feelings.

did you find what i said, insulting?

have you seen bamilekes and feel there's no similarity between them and igbos?

then just say that instead of perambulating.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by igboboy1(m): 7:22am On Jun 19, 2011
why do people always ask if i catch feelings? For naira land? I should be shot if i do,

well i just noticed the similarities between yoruba and somalis (my personal opinion o )
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nayah(f): 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2011
Tpia actually i know bamiléké people very well and actually, they wouldn't say they have some similarities with igbos, trust me.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by namfav(m): 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2011
yes ibos are the most successful ethnic group in africa, they have palaces all across africa and most of them are millionaires, mashallah
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by ezeagu(m): 6:48pm On Jun 19, 2011
Nayah:

Tpia actually i know bamiléké people very well and actually, they wouldn't say they have some similarities with igbos, trust me.

What are they known for?
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by Nayah(f): 10:25pm On Jun 19, 2011
Ezeagu strong economy.
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by adabeke12(f): 6:07am On Mar 12, 2013
ezeagu: When you compare Igboland (where the biggest achievements of the Igbo are made. . . . .or are supposed to) and a place like south western South Africa or Tunisia, I really don't see the need for celebration. The Igbo seem to be one of the worst at preserving their culture, picking up everything from the outside and calling it their own (wearing "uniforms" to funerals, issues with modesty, naming their children names of which they know no meaning), the Igbo also have a bad attitude to their language, even when someone manages to manage the language or teach their child the language, it's Engligbo. Let's not talk about Igbo people fleeing to another man's land to become somebody machete sharpener. What about all the poverty and suffering and poor infrastructure in Igboland, even if they are the best in Nigeria?

chukwu gozie gi!! i ga di. u make sense die
Re: Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa by adabeke12(f): 6:39am On Mar 12, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians / Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.