Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,877 members, 7,810,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (27173 Views)

TRAVELLING TO UK, How Much Will It Cost. / Who Schooled And Worked In The Uk?.how Did You Do It?. / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by Vicjustice: 8:38am On Jun 15, 2011
Courtesy of Babefishing dating community, the ideal free Nigerian dating site. Click www.babefishing.com now!
[flash=620,370]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxvkGXPlP2M&feature=related[/flash]
[flash=620,370]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXGZLpZnGuk[/flash]
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 15, 2011
Pretty normal to me, even when they get really excited, or angry, and the accent gets thicker, I can still understand them perfectly.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by mazamaza: 9:22am On Jun 15, 2011
I know right, smiley smiley this seems like the fresh general one. Went to glasgow and barely heard a word anyone there said, undecided undecided undecided Edinburgh is definitely better.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by justwise(m): 10:09am On Jun 15, 2011
I actually like the accent, i used to struggle with it untill i started watching[b] Frankie Boyle[/b], though his comedy do cross the line sometimes but he made Scottish accent popular.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by OmoTier1(m): 12:17pm On Jun 15, 2011
@scotish accent

well, the worst of all UK accents! Very funny and weird! Need to hear those OAP talking, oh boy, you think they are speaking another language.

me likes the bristolian accent! West country accent is the best of them all, while London is very dry and local.

oi! chappy! you got mee cuppa hot with mee toastee? grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by mazamaza: 1:04pm On Jun 15, 2011
nothing interesting about the glaswegian accent. especially when you can't pick a word, even 'a' = eeee, shocked
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by busybody20: 2:30pm On Jun 15, 2011
geordie accent is better than this grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by likeithot(f): 3:30pm On Jun 15, 2011
MY first three months in Glasgow was rough. Could barely hear a word.

Now I hear them perfectly. Guess I'm used to it, i'm beginning to pick the accent too.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by Vicjustice: 3:51pm On Jun 15, 2011
Huhm, i was just watching the film which seems to be very funny and amusing, but believe me, i still can't understand up to 30% of the entire words (the only person that seems to speaks clearer in the video is the Pastor).
I think Scottish accent is way too bizarred
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by mazamaza: 11:36pm On Jun 15, 2011
@likeithot,

yes, it is true, You have to go there like 3 months before you start school or work or else, person fit carry last for class when they got no idea of what is being said. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by mazamaza: 11:41pm On Jun 15, 2011
@busybody20,

those geordie people even speak english, the scottish don't, cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by chelseabmw(m): 12:55am On Jun 16, 2011
;d ;d
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by nrdgeek: 6:31am On Jun 16, 2011
Well, not too bad. Guess it's because I'been in Aberdeen for about two years now. Still, I find the Glaswegian accent kinda thick. LOL , !
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by iice(f): 8:23am On Jun 16, 2011
Most of the time i can understand. . .other times it gets thick and i can only pick out words here and there. Anyway i kinda like their accent grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by busybody20: 9:17am On Jun 16, 2011
iice:

Most of the time i can understand. . .other times it gets thick and i can only pick out words here and there.  Anyway i kinda like their accent grin

I hope you speak like them on your next trip to naija  grin

naijas go ask if u sure say na uk u dey come from

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by busybody20: 9:17am On Jun 16, 2011
mazamaza:

@busybody20,

those geordie people even speak english, the scottish don't, cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by iice(f): 9:44am On Jun 16, 2011
busybody20:

I hope you speak like them on your next trip to naija  grin

naijas go ask if u sure say na uk u dey come from

grin grin I dey stick to pidgin ooo.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by Vicjustice: 11:20am On Jun 16, 2011
Siena:

Pretty normal to me, even when they get really excited, or angry, and the accent gets thicker, I can still understand them perfectly.
I don't even understand them when they talk in normal terms how much more when they talk in anger and swearing.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 1:48pm On Jun 16, 2011
The scottish accent has got to be one of the most 'un-sexiest' accents ever in the history of mankind. Yuck! I'll take a chinese or japanese accent long before a scottish one.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 1:58pm On Jun 16, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

@scotish accent

well, the worst of all UK accents! Very funny and weird! Need to hear those OAP talking, oh boy, you think they are speaking another language.

me likes the bristolian accent! West country accent is the best of them all, while London is very dry and local.

oi! chappy! you got mee cuppa hot with mee toastee? grin
LOL . . . I visited London for the first time last yr. It came after a few weeks in non-speaking english countries so I was happy to finally be able to communicate with people . . . good Lawd!!! I could barely understand most of the accents we came across. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the american accent is the easiest to understand . . . uhmm except for those with the southern twang cheesy
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by justwise(m): 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2011
JeSoul:

LOL . . . I visited London for the first time last yr. It came after a few weeks in non-speaking english countries so I was happy to finally be able to communicate with people . . . good Lawd!!! I could barely understand most of the accents we came across. Maybe I'm biased, [/b]but I think the american accent is the easiest to understand . . . uhmm except for those with the southern twang  cheesy

Yes u are biased grin grin grin. . kidding, yea some London accent could be tricky especially the [b]Cockney Accent
, u really have to listen long and hard b4 you could pick up, Liverpool/Everton  accent is another hard one, listen to Steven Gerard or wayne rooney speak, u hardly understand some of the things they say.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2011
justwise:

Yes u are biased grin grin grin. . kidding, yea some London accent could be tricky especially the Cockney Accent, u really have to listen long and hard b4 you could pick up, Liverpool/Everton accent is another hard one, listen to Steven Gerard or wayne rooney speak, u hardly understand some of the things they say.
Lol. My guy that one is beyond listening hard oh lol. We were ordering lunch in this restaurant in the famed oxford st area, we must've asked the waiter the repeat at least 4 times. We gave up and just nodded to anything he asked after that. Gosh. If you ask me, it was definitely easier negotiating taxi rates in the middle of ancient Corinth in greece grin you darn brits! open your mouths and pronounce when you talk now lol grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by justwise(m): 2:53pm On Jun 16, 2011
JeSoul:

Lol. My guy that one is beyond listening hard oh lol. We were ordering lunch in this restaurant in the famed oxford st area, we must've asked the waiter the repeat at least 4 times. We gave up and just nodded to anything he asked after that. Gosh. If you ask me, it was definitely easier negotiating taxi rates in the middle of ancient Corinth in greece grin you darn brits! open your mouths and pronounce when you talk now lol grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, Americans speak through the nose grin grin, London is a multi-cultural city,the waiter in that restaurant could be Asian or Eastern European, some barely speak a word of English. Americans actually love British accent grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 4:42pm On Jun 16, 2011
justwise:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, Americans speak through the nose grin grin, London is a multi-cultural city,the waiter in that restaurant could be Asian or Eastern European, some barely speak a word of English. Americans actually love British accent grin
Na lie! grin He was a full fledged brit, inside out, top down, complete with all the stereotypical facial/body features of una. Oga, na una they talk thru nose pass anybody else on the planet grin. American accent is easy to understand now, which american movie have you ever watched that you didn't understand? cheesy And don't even get me started on you folks driving on the wrong side of the road  shocked . . . that was just about the freakiest thing I had ever seen  grin crossing the street almost became an olympic event as everything was opposite and required brain activity lol. Una self, too much drama  grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by justwise(m): 5:25pm On Jun 16, 2011
JeSoul:

Na lie! grin He was a full fledged brit, inside out, top down, complete with all the stereotypical facial/body features of una. Oga, na una they talk thru nose pass anybody else on the planet grin. American accent is easy to understand now, which american movie have you ever watched that you didn't understand? cheesy And don't even get me started on you folks driving on the wrong side of the road shocked . . . that was just about the freakiest thing I had ever seen  grin crossing the street almost became an olympic event as everything was opposite and required brain activity lol. Una self, too much drama  grin

grin grin grin grin grin calm down calm down!!!! which one be wrong side of the run now? grin grin grin, typical Americans grin grin grin they can't cope without their system, you would have got used to things if u had stayed a little bit longer in London grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by tunnytox(m): 6:43pm On Jun 16, 2011
I can't stand Scotish accent! but if you think Scotish accent is difficult wait till you listen to Northern Irish accent! almost impossible to understand surprisingly I have not problem understanding their brothers in the South (Dublin).
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 6:45pm On Jun 16, 2011
justwise:

grin grin grin grin grin calm down calm down!!!! which one be wrong side of the run now? grin grin grin, typical Americans grin grin grin they can't cope without their system, you would have got used to things if u had stayed a little bit longer in London grin grin
 grin you berra believe it . . . chanting *U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! . . . * lol.

Nah seriously, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, it really threw me off. At least you guys had the foresight to write by many crosswalks "look left" or "look right" for poor tourists like me (here's a snapshot I took). Stayed longer? I don't think I can ever get used to those tight roads with reversed driving lol.

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by justwise(m): 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2011
JeSoul:

grin you berra believe it . . . chanting *U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! . . . * lol.

Nah seriously, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, it really threw me off. At least you guys had the foresight to write by many crosswalks "look left" or "look right" for poor tourists like me (here's a snapshot I took). Stayed longer? I don't think I can ever get used to those tight roads with reversed driving lol.

grin My brother in-law was just like u when he visited here, he complained about almost everything, roads not big enough, our rooms not big enough, he wants bigger burger, we don't drive bigger cars, i was like. . .oh well. . what do i expect from somebody coming from a country that gave us Sarah Palin  and  Donald Trump grin grin
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by iice(f): 1:50am On Jun 17, 2011
tunnytox:

I can't stand Scotish accent! but if you think Scotish accent is difficult wait till you listen to Northern Irish accent! almost impossible to understand surprisingly I have not problem understanding their brothers in the South (Dublin).

I agree. I find theirs hard to break down than the Scots.
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by nrdgeek: 2:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
JeSoul:

The scottish accent has got to be one of the most 'un-sexiest' accents ever in the history of mankind. Yuck! I'll take a chinese or japanese accent long before a scottish one.

While the Scottish accent may be one of the most 'unsexiest' around, it happens to sound quite funny (that if you understand what they are saying). I bet they'll make good comics smiley grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by JeSoul(f): 2:26pm On Jun 17, 2011
justwise:

grin My brother in-law was just like u when he visited here, he complained about almost everything, roads not big enough, our rooms not big enough, he wants bigger burger, we don't drive bigger cars, i was like. . .oh well. . what do i expect from somebody coming from a country that gave us Sarah Palin and Donald Trump grin grin
Lol. Don't mind us yanks jare . . . we like everything super-sized. Which is why our obesity rate is also super-sized leading the world in the amount of fat people . . . be you guys aren't too far behind us sha cheesy

nrd_geek:

While the Scottish accent may be one of the most 'unsexiest' around, it happens to sound quite funny (that if you understand what they are saying). I bet they'll make good comics smiley grin grin grin
That one I second. That accent is only good for one thing - to be laughed at cheesy
Re: Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? by snowdrops(m): 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2011
for some obscure reasons, most British people find Scottish accent amongst the best in UK.

Birmingham is rated the worst. there is a joke;

whats better than a brummie accent?

"silence".

(1) (2) (Reply)

Female UNIZIK Post-UTME Candidate Dies In Accident (Graphic Photos) / Flood Takes Over Lagos Estate Road (Photos) / 9 Party Members Died Going For Appeal Court Ruling On Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.