Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

My Trip To Chicago - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip To Chicago (25857 Views)

My Trip To Marrakech-morocco / My Trip To Calabar and Akwa Ibom From Lagos / My Trip To Kainji Lake National Park And Kainji Dam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:10am On Dec 24, 2021
I love adventures and travels. During this holiday, I have some few time for that and I decided to visit the third largest city in the USA. Chicago is indeed a mega hub in the state of Illinois. According to the 2010 census, the population was 2,697,480. I am fascinated by skyscrapers and indeed, Chicago has a lot of them. I know New York City(NYC) is another city of skyscrapers , but I shelved my visit to NYC due to the brutal cold and many restrictions as result of the rising omicron strain. However, NYC is still on my bucket list. I took a train ride operated by AMTRAK to the Chicago union station.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:17am On Dec 24, 2021
One major thing I love about the train is the roominess. Even the trains are somehow old compared to the likes of the Shinkansen used in Japan or China, the Amtrak train still does her job well. The seats are very comfy with enough legroom to stretch and have a good sleep.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:25am On Dec 24, 2021
After some few hours ride, we safely arrived at the Chicago union station which is located at the downtown area of Chicago. We were welcomed by the tall Christmas tree at the Union station in the spirit of the Christmas holiday.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by samuel051: 6:28am On Dec 24, 2021
Holy gram
This is so cool
Wtf man..

7 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by lkillbrokehoes: 6:30am On Dec 24, 2021
Enjoy and stay safe.

9 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by delzbaba(m): 6:32am On Dec 24, 2021
This is not the chicago we see on the news, we always see gun violence and shootings

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:45am On Dec 24, 2021
The Chicago downtown is also synonymously called the loop. In this area of Chicago, there are high concentration of high rise edifices which host many businesses, fine restaurants and hotels. The famous 108-story Willis Tower as well as the Trump tower is located in this axis. Many people live in the suburbs of Chicago and they majorly come to the loop to work. This area could be very busy during the daytime but becomes quiet at evening as people find their way home using the METRA trains or bus services going to the suburbs.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:46am On Dec 24, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
Enjoy and stay safe.
Thank you. I will.

12 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:52am On Dec 24, 2021
delzbaba:
This is not the chicago we see on the news, we always see gun violence and shootings

Some areas in Chicago are actually notorious. Especially the Chicago west side. However, those areas are not popular with tourists. Gun violence really runs high in those places but I choose to tour the loop for now.

41 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by Cousin9999: 6:55am On Dec 24, 2021
delzbaba:

There are good people in Chicago, and it's a decent city in terms of infrastructure. However, it's a part of the Midwest. And offshoring hit their economy very hard. Much of the Midwest never recovered. News and oyinbos will always talk about the symptoms, but never the disease (e.g. private prison labor sl*very, systemic racism, and shipping entire industries overseas).

Oyinbo media also makes it a point to show negative images of African/black people. There are many reasons for this, but one major reason is that the simple idea of happy, healthy black people living well infuriates oyinbos. It literally makes them angry to see black people not suffering or having something wrong with them.

Their media will also try to demonize random things, for example, if a bunch of teen oyinbos do a prank or get in a fight, it may never make it to media. But if black teens do something arguably far less harmless, they may try to paint it as some dangerous trend or crime.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 6:59am On Dec 24, 2021
For my trip, I decided to visit the Millennium park and the Navy pier. If you need to tour the downtown Chicago, I don't encourage you to use a car. It is interesting if you walk around more. I rely on my Google map to get to some of these locations, but I was kind of frustrated with Google map. It was just rerouting me here and there and I just decided to let go of it and ask people the direction instead smiley.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by silverdawn: 7:20am On Dec 24, 2021
Walking down to the Millennium park from the Union station takes approximately 22 minutes. Here is one of the Chicago PD parked vehicle I came across. In the States, the police I came across so far are quite friendly. Though, there are some reports of unpleasant attitudes by some especially to people of colour, but I have not experienced that. They are highly trained and professional. Vehicles like this do have high tech interior design. I could remember one encounter of driving with a friend and we were flagged down. The officer politely asked for the driver license and went to his car to do some cross checking. He returned to informed us that we were not suppose to drive that route in a certain hour of the day. We were not given a ticket but a warning after which he bade us farewell.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:51am On Dec 24, 2021
silverdawn:
Walking down to the Millennium park from the Union station takes approximately 22 minutes. Here is one of the Chicago PD parked vehicle I came across. In the States, the police I came across so far are quite friendly. Though, there are some reports of unpleasant attitudes by some especially to people of colour, but I have not experienced that. They are highly trained and professional. Vehicles like this do have high tech interior design. I could remember one encounter of driving with a friend and we were flagged down. The officer politely asked for the driver license and went to his car to do some cross checking. He returned to informed us that we were not suppose to drive that route in a certain hour of the day. We were not given a ticket but a warning after which he bade us farewell.

Chicago is a cool city. I’m so happy that you saw beyond the news and visited to see for yourself. Navy Pier is awesome and I hope you get to try some Garrett’s popcorn and deep dish pizza. Enjoy!!

21 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by delzbaba(m): 7:55am On Dec 24, 2021
Cousin9999:

There are good people in Chicago, and it's a decent city in terms of infrastructure. However, it's a part of the Midwest. And offshoring hit their economy very hard. Much of the Midwest never recovered. News and oyinbos will always talk about the symptoms, but never the disease (e.g. private prison labor sl*very, systemic racism, and shipping entire industries overseas).
wow, this is enlightening thanks
Oyinbo media also makes it a point to show negative images of African/black people. There are many reasons for this, but one major reason is that the simple idea of happy, healthy black people living well infuriates oyinbos. It literally makes them angry to see black people not suffering or having something wrong with them.

Their media will also try to demonize random things, for example, if a bunch of teen oyinbos do a prank or get in a fight, it may never make it to media. But if black teens do something arguably far less harmless, they may try to paint it as some dangerous trend or crime.
Re: My Trip To Chicago by WiszyFraud: 8:16am On Dec 24, 2021
Did you know??

A person who is okay with not being liked is a powerful human being.

lipsrsealed

71 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by NewDelhi(m): 8:16am On Dec 24, 2021
Chicago, one of the most beautiful and at the same time dangerous cities in the world.

2 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by cliqtips: 8:16am On Dec 24, 2021
Chai... I love this mehn !!!

Issa testimony
Re: My Trip To Chicago by DropsMic(m): 8:16am On Dec 24, 2021
Cool
Re: My Trip To Chicago by tillaman(m): 8:17am On Dec 24, 2021
Chiraq
Trap Lanje Lil Durk Omo werey
Enjoy your stay brethren

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by ThatFairGuy1: 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
God is not helping you out of this country neither is He giving you Biafra/Yoruba Nation.

Stay and fix your country!
If those Canadian forefathers ran when they also experience hardship, WOULD YOU HAVE WISHED TO TRAVEL THERE undecided
haconjy:
God help me,
It's either you give me Yoruba Nation/Biafra
Or
You get me out of this zoogeria to Canada.

God this is my Prayer.

Amen.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip To Chicago by haconjy(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
God help me,
It's either you give me Yoruba Nation/Biafra
Or
You get me out of this zoogeria to Canada.

God this is my Prayer.

Amen.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by Antoeni(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
One Woman Is Enough! It Saves Time, Money & Mental Energy There's No Trophy To Be Won In Womanizing.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Trip To Chicago by pegix(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
Pegix adventure to iyanfoworogi village embarassed
Re: My Trip To Chicago by Olam09(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
Chicago
Re: My Trip To Chicago by IMASTEX: 8:18am On Dec 24, 2021
Nice one
Re: My Trip To Chicago by KiNg0G: 8:19am On Dec 24, 2021
I be here some day.

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by JUSTASLIP: 8:19am On Dec 24, 2021
Nice
Re: My Trip To Chicago by Ray07(m): 8:19am On Dec 24, 2021
Nice
Re: My Trip To Chicago by Triangles1(m): 8:19am On Dec 24, 2021
This is sky scrapper not Kai crapper

4 Likes

Re: My Trip To Chicago by ismhab(m): 8:19am On Dec 24, 2021
What a bad road...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

C&S Primary 6 Pupil Killed By BRT Bus On His Way To School In Ikorodu / A Nairalander Celebrates Independence Day At Olumo Rock / 4 Airlines Set To Launch Operation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.