Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,692 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? (13519 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of Boxing Day? / Watch This Funny Nigeria Kids Dec 2017 Boxing Day / On The Boxing Day; What Do You Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:08am On Dec 26, 2021
Boxing Day is a holiday celebrated after Christmas Day, occurring on the second or third day of Christmastide. Though it originated as a holiday to give gifts to the poor, today Boxing Day is primarily known as a shopping holiday. It originated in the United Kingdom and is celebrated in a number of countries that previously formed part of the British Empire. Although according to traditional custom Boxing Day is the 27th if the 26th is Christmas Sunday, in recent times the 26th has been termed "Boxing Day" even on a Sunday. The attached bank holiday or public holiday may take place either on that day or one or two days later (if necessary to ensure it falls on a weekday). Boxing Day is also concurrent with the Christian holiday Saint Stephen's Day.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

What Does "Boxing Day" Mean?

When i first heard the term, "boxing day", what first came to mind was boxing, as in, people throwing real punches at each other, as the likes of Mohammed Ali did in a boxing ring, but I wondered what that could possibly have to do with Christmas since it was a Christmas holiday.

It was not until until I came to realize that "boxing" actually meant packing things, such as, gift items into a box, and not people exchanging punches in a ring, that it began to make sense to me, since Christmas was synonymous with distribution of gifts, so probably that day was set aside to "box" such gifts during Christmas.

Some of the beneficiaries of such gifts are the poor and the needy, as Christmas is a time of the year many set aside to distribute gifts to the poor and needy, because they view it as a season of sharing, caring, giving and showing love.

It's a good gesture from such ones that they remember the poor and needy and distribute gifts to them at such a time, however what they should also realize is that Christmas is not the only time the poor and needy were in need of such things, therefore they don't have to wait til it's Christmas to help them.

They can help them anytime of the year, whenever they're in the position to help, because some of the poor and needy may not be able to survive til Christmas if they have to wait til then to get what they need.

So as we box our Christmas gifts to distribute to those in need today on boxing day, let us also remember that they need our help not just on boxing day, but everyday of the year.

God bless.

12 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:08am On Dec 26, 2021
Matthew 25:37-40 (KJV)

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 26, 2021
jesusjnr2020:
What Does "Boxing Day" Mean?

When i first heard the term, "boxing day", what first came to mind was boxing, as in, people throwing real punches at each other, as the likes of Mohammed Ali did in a boxing ring, but I wondered what that could possibly have to do with Christmas since it was a Christmas holiday.

It was not until until I came to realize that "boxing" actually meant packing things, such as, gift items into a box, and not people exchanging punches in a ring, that it began to make sense to me, since Christmas was synonymous with distribution of gifts, so probably that day was set aside to "box" such gifts during Christmas.

Some of the beneficiaries of such gifts are the poor and the needy, as Christmas is a time of the year many set aside to distribute gifts to the poor and needy, because they view it as a season of sharing, caring, giving and showing love.

It's a good gesture from such ones that they remember the poor and needy and distribute gifts to them at such a time, however what they should also realize is that Christmas is not the only time the poor and needy were in need of such things, therefore they don't have to wait til it's Christmas to help them.

They can help them anytime of the year, whenever they're in the position to help, because some of the poor and needy may not be able to survive til Christmas if they have to wait til then to get what they need.

So as we box our Christmas gifts to distribute to those in need today on boxing day, let us also remember that they need our help not just on boxing day, but everyday of the year.

God bless.
the day after the birthday of the sun god Sol invincible, that it's worshippers give wrapped gifts . That is the 26th of December, when Xmas was later adopted centuries long after Jesus death, they also adopted the practice. Xmas Ann new year celebration are pagan practice. god janus was a god of beginning and ending, and of Gates and doors, depicted as having two faces, one facing front, the other facing backwards. Celebrated the first day of every year.later adopted by Christendom Babylon churches to be celebrated too. January is named after it. You can verify it too.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by AntiChristian: 9:03am On Dec 26, 2021
I knew Christianity is a mix of pagan religion! Jesus was not born in December. That father Xmas and Xmas tree sure looks idolatrous just as P. Kumuyi said a couple of years ago!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by jericco1(m): 9:32am On Dec 26, 2021
A day set aside for unboxing of gifts

3 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by lesbiconverter: 9:32am On Dec 26, 2021
AntiChristian:
I knew Christianity is a mix of pagan religion! Jesus was not born in December. That father Xmas and Xmas tree sure looks idolatrous just as P. Kumuyi said a couple of years ago!
Why are you Antichristian? grin
Is kumuyi God? grin

Bring your left ear make I show you

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by AuntRose(f): 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
The day after Christmas is usually filled with the activity of sending boxes of gifts to loved ones. That's why it's probably called 'Boxing Day'

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by tutudesz: 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
No time to explain grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by God1000(m): 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
Boxing Day, in Great Britain and some Commonwealth countries, particularly Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, holiday (December 26) on which servants, tradespeople, and the poor traditionally were presented with gifts. By the 21st century it had become a day associated with shopping and sporting events. Boxing Day is celebrated on Sunday, December 26, 2021.
Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by EmekaBlue(m): 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
Box and fight who no give you Christmas meat

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by HEAVEN4444: 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
means jacob vs esau . the tussling contest between jacob and esau or in reincarnated times the tussling match between Jesus and Satan
Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by tillaman(m): 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
angry
Nobody dey wait to Unbox gifts again jare, if you gimme gift yesterday why I go wait till the next day to unbox? If na bomb nko

Boxing Day suppose be that special set aside to settle scores, punch anyone wey come your house chop on Xmas empty handed or those wey nor give you Xmas chicken
Box the shiiit outta them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Sydney43(f): 9:34am On Dec 26, 2021
Who go send me boxes of gifts bayiii cool undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Bayaar02(m): 9:34am On Dec 26, 2021
To box!
For real...
To box, box and box!
Till box loose its meaning.
Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by fasho01(m): 9:35am On Dec 26, 2021
To unbox Christmas gifts

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by God1000(m): 9:35am On Dec 26, 2021
Boxing Day got its name when Queen Victoria was on the throne in the 1800s and has nothing to do with the sport of boxing. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants - a day when they received a special Christmas box from their masters.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by LollySeaSide: 9:35am On Dec 26, 2021
AJ day for sure.
The name is pretty clear and self explanatory.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by GboyegaD(m): 9:35am On Dec 26, 2021
Time to open your gift boxes.

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by money121(m): 9:35am On Dec 26, 2021
Ok
Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Omicron007: 9:36am On Dec 26, 2021
shocked

A day to look for those slowpoke wretched poor BMC miscreants and punch them in the face for spewing trash and supporting mediocrity and failure for a whole year.

Where is that vulture griller?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Winters23: 9:36am On Dec 26, 2021
It means the day after christmass when people put gifts in the "box" and deliver to friends & well wishers.

1 Like

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Fuckthamods: 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
It's the day to box our enemies..
God please make i catch that vulture griller

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by ominilongest(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
as we no c gift unbox,na to unteeth ur gum remain comrade

6 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by nony43(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
Un boxing Christmas gifts. I un boxed this morning and I got loads of gift cards, cakes and cards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by parzdor(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
Ww
Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by AFULA(m): 9:38am On Dec 26, 2021

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by LollySeaSide: 9:39am On Dec 26, 2021
Vickyvice:
the day after the birthday of the sun god Sol invincible, that it's worshippers give wrapped gifts . That is the 26th of December, when Xmas was later adopted centuries long after Jesus death, they also adopted the practice. Xmas Ann new year celebration are pagan practice. god janus was a god of beginning and ending, and of Gates and doors, depicted as having two faces, one facing front, the other facing backwards. Celebrated the first day of every year. You can verify it too
You are right about Xmas being a pagan practice. That is why we don't celebrate Xmas as Christians. We celebrate Christmas!
You get the point now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by Patrioticman007(m): 9:39am On Dec 26, 2021
AntiChristian:
Pagans

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by obembet(f): 9:39am On Dec 26, 2021
The day I will beat

Lalasticlala

mynd44

OJEEMAH

JohnnyPalmer

Paulolee

2 Likes

Re: What Does "Boxing Day" Mean? by nony43(m): 9:40am On Dec 26, 2021
AntiChristian:

You have a date of birth. When is Jesus date of birth?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do People Wait Till January Of Every Year To Make Resolutions? / Baby Kidnapped From Labour Room In Abia / Ofe-nsala May Abort Your Early Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.