Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) (5529 Views)

Asisat Oshoala Joins Super Falcons For Last Training Session In Abuja. Photos / AAG Qualifier: Okon Names 18 Super Falcons For Mali Trip / Photos: Meet Beautiful Francisca Ordega Who Plays For The Falcons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by sadiq88: 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/sports/2011/june/15/sports-15-06-2011-001.html

Eucharia names 21 Falcons for World Cup
Stories by ROMANUS UGWU, Abuja
Wednesday, June 15 2011

Falcons celebrate
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has submitted to world governing body, FIFA, a list of 21 players who will fly the country’s flag at the 6th FIFA Women’s World Cup finals taking place in Germany this summer.

Goalkeeper Precious Dede, a 31-year-old veteran from the 2003 and 2007 FIFA World Cup final tournaments, tops the list that includes, at least, seven players who have seen FIFA World Cup action.

Coach Eucharia Uche picked three goalkeepers, six defenders, six midfielders and six strikers in a squad with mixture of experienced players and young ones. Defenders are: Faith Ikidi, Onome Ebi and Ulunma Jerome; midfielders- Ogonna Chukwudi and Perpetua Nkwocha and forward Stella Mbachu were at the last tournament in China in 2008.

The Falcons, who have been training in Saalfelden, Austria since May 26, on Tuesday had a training match with an Under-17 boys in Austria.

The team will play the National Women’s team of Slovakia at the Eugendorf Stadium tomorrow.
Since setting up the camp in Saalfelden, the Falcons have walloped an Austrian first division team, Wacker Innsbruck, 7-0, piped the Czech Republic national women’s team 1-0 and drew 1-1 with the national women’s team of Austria in friendlies.

THE FINAL SQUAD
Goalkeepers: Precious Dede, Tochukwu Oluehi, Alaba Jonathan.
Defenders: Helen Ukaonu, Faith Ikidi, Onome Ebi, Osinachi Ohale, Ulunma Jerome, Josephine Chukwunonye.

Midfielders: Rebecca Kalu, Glory Iroka, Rita Chikwelu, Ebere Orji, Ogonna Chukwudi, Perpetua Nkwocha.
Strikers: Stella Mbachu, Francisca Ordega, Desire Oparanozie, Sarah Michael, Uchechi Sunday, Amenze Aighewi.

Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by adejoro75: 5:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
She went for the best. Can you mention who is better than those selected that was missed out?
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by sadiq88: 9:18pm On Jun 15, 2011
adejoro75:

She went for the best. Can you mention who is better than those selected that was missed out?

what do you mean by the best?

so there is no good player from the west or middle-belt?

what type of team is this?
imagin, the coach is igbo, 18 out of the 21 players are igbos, the remaining 3 are their Niger-Delta cousins,

there is no single yoruba or Notherner,
so you mean, Yoruba Girls and Northerners cannot play football again?

i wonder ooo
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by MeGaStReEt: 11:01pm On Jun 15, 2011
sadiq88:

imagin, the coach is igbo, 18 out of the 21 players are igbos, the remaining 3 are their Niger-Delta cousins,

i wonder ooo

whats the bitching about? Guy go rest jor
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by ayusman16(m): 12:02am On Jun 16, 2011
I tire o. Point out any Yoruba or Hausa girl that deserves to be in d team and is not? Must everything be zoning or quota system?
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by semid4lyfe(m): 2:06am On Jun 16, 2011
@ OP
The Super Falcons have always been dominated by Igbos even when James Peter (South-South), Ismaila Mabo (a Notherner), Nterio Effiom (from either Cross Rivers or Akwa-Ibom state), Sam Okpodu (South-South), Jossy Lad (Yoruba I suppose?) were in the saddle. Hell, even the girls taken to the first Women's world cup in '91 by Bonfrere Jo were mostly Igbos.

I suggest you to take a stroll to the National Stadium- Surulere, Abete field- Iwaya, Police College- Ikeja, Gbagada Roundabout etc. . .all in Lagos (I never mention playing fields in the South-East & South-South o) or any football training ground/field in Nigeria where you reside on a Saturday to see the "aspiring" female footballers who come out to train & play and then come back and tell me how many non-Igbos and non-Niger Deltans you see. Only then will you begin to understand why the Igbo's dominate our Female National teams (Flamingoes- U-17 , Falconets- U-20 & the Super Falcons) and will continue to dominate for a long time to come.

For example, the USA 99 Super Falcons squad that got to the quater-finals which was handled by Ismailo Mabo (a Notherner) had a starting-11 of Ann Chiejine, Ebere Okpara, Prisca Emeafu, Kikelomo Ajayi, Yinka Kudaisi, Florence Omagbemi, Nkiru Okosieme, Patience Avre, Rita Nwadike, Mercy Akide and one other player I can't recall now. The full squad was like 80-90% Igbo and this was selected by a Notherner o.

Simply put. . .at least 70% of the girls actively playing soccer in Nigeria are Igbos and it stands to reason they'd dominate the National female football landscape. Moreover, these selected players are the best. . .although I feel Loveth Ayila deserved to be in this squad ahead of Francesca Ordega afterall she and not Ordega was our best player at the T&T 2010 U-17 Women's World cup.

Me thinks Coach Eucharia should be commended for having the balls to drop established but expired players like Effionwan Ekpo, Lilian Cole, Cynthia Uwak, Chi-Chi Igbo etc and selecting a relatively young squad (on paper). . .afterall na wetin the Super Eagles handlers no fit do with some kain players (Kanu, Aiyegbeni etc) she do so grin

I'm particularly happy with the inclusion of Faith Ikidi and Sarah Michael in defence and attack respectively. Both are sheer class!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by slodot2000: 8:10am On Jun 16, 2011
sadiq88 i dnt knw who u r but i think u r a piece of shit. This is one of the reasons why Nigeria can never be good. That why corruption will neva die in 9ja. look @ ur mindset.

semid4lyfe i must commend u for ur contribution, straight to the point no sentiments. Can any Nigerian tell me that he or she is not aware the Sports (generally Football) is eastern, delta, edo affair in the History of Nigerian sports?
u cannot cheat nature. Football is on merit choose the best and all the way u go. The Igbos got it locked down as far as football in Nigeria is concerned for both male and female teams.

Fakers and tribalist just stick it to ur heads.
Thanks semid4lyfe for keepin it real
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 9:03am On Jun 16, 2011
No player from the Under 23, U 17 team there?

Unfortunately i dont recognise the names but they should have graduated into the Falcons by now (considering some are over aged in the junior team)
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by seunlayi(m): 9:46am On Jun 16, 2011
No matter what the list looks like, I'm wishing them the best
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 10:15am On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

Unfortunately i dont recognise the names but they should have graduated into the Falcons by now (considering some are over aged in the junior team)

Unfortunately you are misleading people here and I am very sure you did not watch the last under 20 World cup where Nigeria finished runners up to Germany.

The likes of Francisca Ordega, Desire Oparanozie, Alaba Jonathan,Ebere Orji (One of the best player of the tournament) and Sarah Michael came from that squad.

Caps Goals                                                           Clubs

GK Precious Dede            18 January 1980 (aged 31)               14 0                                                         Delta Queens FC

GK Tochukwu Oluehi       3 June 1988 (aged 23)                                                                                     Bayelsa Queens

GK Alaba Jonathan       1 June 1992 (age 19)                                                                                      Pelican Stars

DF Helen Ukaonu               17 May 1991 (aged 20)                                                                                      Sunnanå SK

DF Faith Ikidi                       28 February 1987 (age 24) 2 0                                                         Piteå IF

DF Onome Ebi                5 August 1983 (age 27)                                                                                   Djurgårdens IF                              

DF Osinachi Ohale            21 December 1991 (aged 19)

DF Ulunma Jerome       11 April 1988 (aged 23)                                                                                          Piteå IF

DF Josephine Chukwunonye 19 March 1992 (aged 19)

MF Rebecca Kalu              12 June 1990 (aged 21)

MF Glory Iroka              3 January 1990 (aged 21)

MF Rita Chikwelu              6 March 1988 (aged 23)                                                                           FC United Pietarsaari

MF Ebere Orji                     23 December 1992 (aged 18)                                                                    Rivers Angels

MF Ogonna Chukwudi      4 September 1988 (aged 22)                                                                     Umeå IK

MF Perpetua Nkwocha     3 January 1976 (aged 35)                    30         10                                             Sunnanå SK

FW Stella Mbachu             16 April 1978 (aged 33)                    60         26                                              Rivers Angels

FW Francisca Ordega     19 October 1993 (aged 17)                                                                       Bayelsa Queens

FW Desire Oparanozie      17 December 1993 (aged 17)                                                                       Delta Queens

FW Sarah Michael               22 July 1990 (aged 20)

FW Uchechi Sunday       9 September 1994 (aged 16)

FW Amenze Aighewi       21 November 1991 (aged 19)

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR FACTS BEFORE POSTING !!!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 10:18am On Jun 16, 2011
When did a question become fact? so dumb!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 10:26am On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

When did a question become fact? so dumb!
Its a pity you don't even know how/when to use the question mark symbol "?"

Dis Guy:

How on earth does these appear as a question? I weep for your background
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 10:29am On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

So Dumb!

misleading people like you who cant read eh?
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 10:48am On Jun 16, 2011
NB:Take to correction else you fail when it matter most

"No player from the Under 23, U 17 team there?" THIS IS WRONG

Your post should have been: Is there no player from the Under 23, U 17 team there? THIS IS BETTER

Also
"Unfortunately i dont recognise the names but they should have graduated into the Falcons by now (considering some are over aged in the junior team)" THIS IS AFFIRMATIVE

ALWAYS THINK BEFORE POSTING
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 11:00am On Jun 16, 2011
Not a question of taking to corrections! You could have answered the question without concluding i'm MISLEADING ANYONE

"No player from the Under 23, U 17 team there?"   THIS IS WRONG

it is a question! i don't have to write a full sentence

Unfortunately i don't recognise the names but they should have graduated into the Falcons by now (considering some are over aged in the junior team)

uncertain question with an opinion- not fact!

Always think before accusing others of misleading others
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 11:40am On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

Not a question of taking to corrections! You could have answered the question without concluding i'm MISLEADING ANYONE

it is a question! i don't have to write a full sentence

uncertain question with an opinion- not fact!

Always think before accusing others of misleading others

If you insist that what you have there is a question, then your educational background/ value adding culture must be very poor
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 11:49am On Jun 16, 2011
if you insist that I'm misleading someone with what i wrote up there, they you're not very stable upstairs

Not eating? and Are you not going to eat your food = the same thing

I'll probably you the latter if I'm talking to a primary 2 pupil

and the former to anyone that can make their mind up if I'm asking a question of making a statement

value adding culture? what a pillock!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by semid4lyfe(m): 12:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:
No player from the U-23 U-20, U-17 team there?

Unfortunately i dont recognise the name but they should have graduated into the Falcons by now (considering some are overaged in the junior team)

Na wa for you o!

Shey you close eyes and ears watch the flamingoes & the Falconets at the 2010 U-17 and U-20 Womens' World Cup ni?

Anyway, here are the  players from the Junior teams in this Germany 2011 World cup squad:

Francesca Ordega (U-17)
Alaba Jonathan (U-20)
Osinachi Ohale (U-20)
Helen Ukaonu (U-20)
Rebecca Kalu (U-20)
Glory Iroka (U-20)
Ebere Orji (U-20)
Desire Oparanozie (U-20)
Uchechi (Esther) Sunday (U-20)

It's a good blend of youth and experience IMO
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 12:12pm On Jun 16, 2011
Shey you close eyes and ears watch the flamingoes & the Falconets at the 2010 U-17 and U-20 Womens' World Cup ni?

Na Wa for you too o, you think say i go remember names of players that come on TV once in two years, when no be say na epl them dey  wink

Thanks for answering the question jare!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Na wa for you o!

Anyway, here are the  players from the Junior teams in this Germany 2011 World cup squad:

Francesca Ordega (U-17)
Alaba Jonathan (U-20)
Osinachi Ohale (U-20)
Helen Ukaonu (U-20)
Rebecca Kalu (U-20)

Glory Iroka (U-20)
Ebere Orji (U-20)
Desire Oparanozie (U-20)
Uchechi (Esther) Sunday (U-20)

It's a good blend of youth and experience IMO

Abeg leave that guy alone b4 he takes you up. E no dey take to correction
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 12:40pm On Jun 16, 2011
Dis Guy:

Na Wa for you too o, you think say i go remember names of players that come on TV once in two years, when no be say na epl them dey  wink

Thanks for answering the question jare!
Definately, you are not a pundit and your IQ must be very low to:

1. Forget the impact those girls made in less than a year to the extent that Ebere Orji was one of the best player in the tournament.

2. Forget that they were recognized and given scholarship by Goodluck Jonathan

3. That Patience Jonathan organised a dinner party for them.

I wonder why non of these is enough[b] to register at least a recognized name[/b] in your medulla oblongata
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by DisGuy: 1:00pm On Jun 16, 2011
femi4:

Definately, [b]you are not a pundit[/b] and your IQ must be very low to:

1. Forget the impact those girls made in  less than a year to the extent that Ebere Orji was one of the best player in the tournament. 

2. Forget that they were recognized and given scholarship by Goodluck Jonathan

3. That Patience Jonathan organised a dinner party for them.

I wonder why non of  these is enough[b] to register at least a recognized name[/b] in your medulla oblongata

what an , whoever claimed i was a football pundit, junior female football team for that matter? your very low IQ couldn't decipher that? from this
Unfortunately i dont recognise the names

what an i.di.ot, what's my business with Dame's dinner party, Do we live in the same town? you can cram all the paralmypians that won gold medal if you like gimp!
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 1:44pm On Jun 16, 2011
The last time I checked I wrote PUNDIT and not FOOTBALL PUNDIT. Moreover,you don't need to know what happens around/to people around you because you dont live in their houses, LWKMD! Anyway,thanks again 4 confirming/exposing your level of gullibility
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by Gbenge77(m): 1:47pm On Jun 16, 2011
On paper,she appears to have selected a good squad.
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by femi4: 1:51pm On Jun 16, 2011
Gbenge 77:

On paper,she appears to have selected a good squad.
Yea, those girls are tested and trusted. With determination and luck they can go beyond the quarter final stage this time.
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by vitality22(m): 3:12pm On Jun 16, 2011
GOODLUCK GIRLs, we are praying for you
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by pereze: 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2011
Where on earth is Cynthia Uwak, 2006 African women footballer of the year?
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by Limaoscar: 7:09pm On Jun 16, 2011

i wonder ooo
Mallam, You're completely besides yourself. Didn't Sebastine brodericks take a bunch of under 16's to China (mostly from Bendel State then) and we won the Cup, just shut-up and go blow Police Hstation/hqts up in your village that's all you guys know to do. Don't drag yorubas or any other tribe into your mindless ramblings.
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by phreakabit(m): 8:08pm On Jun 16, 2011
Where on earth is Cynthia Uwak, 2006 African women footballer of the year?

In her husbands Kitchen preparing meals for the KIDS . (Self explanatory)
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 17, 2011
make she kuku tell us say she dey go world cup with her cousins and family. how come no other regions has players in the team? abi na only igbo girls dey play soccer now ni?
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by sadiq88: 11:18am On Jun 18, 2011
slodot2000:

sadiq88 i dnt knw who u r but i think u r a piece of poo. This is one of the reasons why Nigeria can never be good. That why corruption will neva die in 9ja. look @ your mindset.

semid4lyfe i must commend u for your contribution, straight to the point no sentiments. Can any Nigerian tell me that he or she is not aware the Sports (generally Football) is eastern, delta, edo affair in the History of Nigerian sports?
u cannot cheat nature. Football is on merit choose the best and all the way u go. The Igbos got it locked down as far as football in Nigeria is concerned for both male and female teams.

Fakers and tribalist just stick it to your heads.
Thanks semid4lyfe for keepin it real

shut it there man,
who and what do u think u are,
don't insult me again,
tribalist
Re: Eucharia Names 21 Falcons For World Cup ( 18 Out Of 21 Are Igbos) by Roland17(m): 5:31am On Jun 19, 2011
say na our fault say na our girls strong pass and sabi play ball pass? all the same its a Nigerian team, they would be representing Nigeria and would be putting on the national colours.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Emmanuel Adebayor Retires From Togo International Duty / Whatsapp Betting Group: Sure Daily Bet Tips And Football Predictions / Secrets Revealed: How To Make Money From Sport Betting WITHOUT Betting!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.