Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,173 members, 7,829,193 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? (13002 Views)

Well Paid Teaching Job Vacancy... / Vacancy For A Well Paid Job / Top 10 Well Paid Jobs In Nigeria - Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by VTJN(m): 8:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
truthsayer009:

Eyah, sorry about your predicament. You have chosen not to go into academics and I applaud you for that, you are thinking in the right direction. Just recently, my eyes opened and I came to the realization that Intelligence and hard work will keep you surviving but you need more than that to be successful financially. You have to position yourself in a business or career that people pay highly for, It's not ONLY about how much work you put in, It is also about how do people value what you are doing. When people don't value your work and you keep trying your best, you'll still end up with nothing.

You are into business, research ways you can sell your Poultry farm ideas to people. If you feel your current business isn't bringing you money, please leave that business and start a new one. If you need to leave your environment, please relocate.

There is also a thread by Champagnemami talking about making cool bucks as a teacher in Dubai: https://www.nairaland.com/5571670/experience-living-working-uae/11#84780187 Teaching is a profession respected in other countries, Nigeria is just a shit hole. So research well.

Thanks for the head up boss!
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by VTJN(m): 9:01pm On Dec 27, 2021
vickydevoka:

Most ivy school needs referrals
Absolutely
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by erico2k2(m): 9:03pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:

Yes
ok but the way the OP wrote his post he should have said private school teachers

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by labelle123(f): 9:20pm On Dec 27, 2021
Any private school that pays up to 30/40k feels like demigod. They will even suck your life out to get back their money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Orente21(f): 9:22pm On Dec 27, 2021
Way4orward:
Their reward is in heaven.
Please let us enjoy our rewards here not heaven o
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Orente21(f): 9:24pm On Dec 27, 2021
labelle123:
Any private school that pays up to 30/40k feels like demigod. They will even suck your life out to get back their money
They sack anyhow and give so many conditions. You ll close late and resume early.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Orente21(f): 9:27pm On Dec 27, 2021
damosade:
I know a teacher (nur/pry school) earning 650k monthly.
Pls which school?
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by RosyIsBlessed: 9:30pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sheuns:

A level 08 teacher in Lagos state receives approximately 68,000 naira monthly. That is not well paid.

Level 8 step what?
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ModelLook(m): 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

If you/we complain now, they will reply " A Teacher's reward is in heaven".
In saner clime, Teachers are respected and well paid.

Very True
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Sheuns(m): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
RosyIsBlessed:

Level 8 step what?

Step 2. A level 9 receives just over 90k monthly. Level 15 receives about 300k monthly. All these are after taxes and deductions.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ultimateprof: 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
Government policies is the reason. Apart from GEJ, have there been any head of state in this nation that is a graduate? No!
Our leaders intentionally killed the education sector.
The worse still is that our ministers of education do not have education background.
Lastly, our college of education always admit those who do not get admission in to the university and by so doing they will produce incompitent teachers.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Worldlegend(m): 9:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
The reward of teacher is in heaven grin
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Ojady(m): 9:43pm On Dec 27, 2021
KulHeadedHuman:
I'm seriously thinking why the teaching profession isn't well rated in terms of welfare packages. Teaching should be a noble profession held up high, but that's not the case in my country. I'm personally a lover of the teaching profession, was in it for about 5years, left it for 'greener pastures' and now feel like coming back home. The question remains 'to what end'? In the end, passion wouldn't pay bills. How do we change this narrative??

Because if teachers are well paid, they will teach well and with passion, people will get educated not certificated(sic), think for themselves, reading between the lines, keep the politician liars on their toes and maybe, replace incompetent leaders...but of course, the elite cannot allow that, they must remain in power, the masses must not wake up from their illusion and so, education must be de-emphasized, the youth must be distracted, enticed and numbed with entertainment (shattawale bs, bbn naija etc) rather than having them pose not only the right questions but also demand correct answers

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by tiswell(m): 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2021
VTJN:
Passion doesn't pay bills o my brother

I was a very good tutor right from my high school days till college. I was exceptionally good at bringing out the best in oneself. All my circle back then in college, no matter how dumb they are, all bagged 2.1

No doubt, i had the dexterity of a good and exceptional tutor. I self sponsored myself through school as a tutor, taking students. My course mates inclusive. I can't imagine the meagre pay most schools offer her staffs. Academy staffs in particular. Can't even wrapped my head over it

I love teaching no doubt. I've got sumptuous of feedback from friends and different people suggesting i go into academics. However, in today's Nigeria. One needs to attain a certain academic prowess. At least, a masters degree before being considered. Moreover, schools had stopped retaining her best brain unlike how it's being obtainable back then. I dare not consider masters degree now when i can't even feed myself

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of teaching with paltry payment

Very few ivy league schools offer something reasonable and substantial. Hence, it's always hard to come by
what is STAFFS?
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by vickydevoka(m): 9:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
VTJN:
Absolutely
One of my guy just got one lar year. Within one year he got married. Starting salary 145k. He saves up to 100k bcus de school won't give u space to flex n de will give I accommodation within the school
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Mypeople2(m): 9:57pm On Dec 27, 2021
tosyne55:
Not government school teachers, they are well paid, even than civil servants
How much are they paid ? How much is their salary that you refer to it as "well paid"? Can you compare an oil worker salary with that of a professor ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
How do you mean. Those graduates paid peanuts don't give value??
Robisky001:
Salary is a direct proportion to the value you give.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Mypeople2(m): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2021
Robisky001:
Salary is a direct proportion to the value you give.
Please explain what you mean because I don't understand what they are doing in House of Assembly that is more valuable than the work of a teacher .What are the managers in Nig Gas or NNPC doing that is more strainous when compared to the work of a teacher ?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:04pm On Dec 27, 2021
Kindly expatiate, what was your criterion for distinguishing career from passion in this stance.
greatiyk4u:
Teaching pays well only to teachers with the right entrepreneurial mindset

When you take teaching as a career, you will surely pay your bills but when taken as a passion, the end is exactly what the op is lamenting about.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2021
This one come catch cruise
Starboytwo:
I mean, why pay them so much when they got a super bumper reward in heaven imo.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
How many 'big' schools are in the country to serve the number of teachers?? Don't ever question the intellect of a teacher because he/she is employed in a 'small' school. By the way, who says the so-called'small' schools can't pay something reasonable if they want to. They're simply capitalizing on the Nigerian situation.
dingbang:
Because you never meet teacher for big man school..

What do you know that would warrant you to be paid big money? You cant give what you dont have.. If you have quality stuff in your head then big schools will pay you big money

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:18pm On Dec 27, 2021
This shouldn't be a reason for poor remuneration, as long as they give value.
LordIsaac:
Because it is a profession that can absorb all graduates from all disciplines! grin
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Muhylonaire007: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2021
ModelLook:
When I finished University after getting a B.Sc in Geography and Planning, I applied to teach in a Secondary School.
(Forget the Planning attached to the course, it's all propaganda to make the course look professional. We don't plan anything).

The first school said they wanted to pay me between N15-N19K per month. I refused and left.

The second school said they will pay me N22K per month. I also refused and left.

I went for service. Was posted to teach in a Missionary School at Ilaro in Ogun state. Their students school fees was N150,000 per month.
The principal was paying me just N5K per month. According to him, Ogun state govt told them (School Owners) to pay Corpers that amount (N5K Per Month) and after all, we were being paid N19,800 as Alawee.

In that school, the principal gave me all the classes to teach. I taught Geography (SS1 -SS3) and Agricultural Science (JSS1 to JSS3). I was practically teaching the whole school. I was so over worked with little pay. After school around 5pm ehn, I will almost feel like collapsing on the ground everyday.

After NYSC, I refused to teach again.

Teaching in a country like Nigeria takes PASSION. If you don't have passion for teaching, you will hate your life.

Why because the GOVERNMENT is part of the problem why teaching is the way it is in Nigeria. Then School Owners Capitalise on them.

The Government And School Owners Are The Reason Why Teaching Is Not Well Paid.

Also remember, PASSION CAN NEVER PAY THE BILLS. MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND.

Wow, Ilaro is my home town o grin grin how are you doing after service?
It is well o jare
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:24pm On Dec 27, 2021
Of course, it has to be Nigeria
abobote:
Nigerian teachers you meant
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 10:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
U say?? Can't be Nigeria
damosade:
I know a teacher (nur/pry school) earning 650k monthly.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by tctrills: 11:28pm On Dec 27, 2021
KulHeadedHuman:
I'm seriously thinking why the teaching profession isn't well rated in terms of welfare packages. Teaching should be a noble profession held up high, but that's not the case in my country. I'm personally a lover of the teaching profession, was in it for about 5years, left it for 'greener pastures' and now feel like coming back home. The question remains 'to what end'? In the end, passion wouldn't pay bills. How do we change this narrative??
No one is well paid in 9ja.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by KulHeadedHuman: 11:30pm On Dec 27, 2021
Let's be serious, there are those who are well paid by any standard and there are those who are comparatively well paid as well.
tctrills:

No one is well paid in 9ja.
Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by tctrills: 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
KulHeadedHuman:
Let's be serious, there are those who are well paid by any standard and there are those who are comparatively well paid as well.
Well you are right, less than 10% of Nigerian labour force are well paid. Teachers happen to belong to the 90%

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by Dollywood(m): 12:38am On Dec 28, 2021
WibusJaga:

Any labour that is easy to source will generally be poorly remunerated. The easier, the poorer. School owners can easily afford to sack & replace most of their teachers.

Hardest truth I ever heard in a while.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by blowjohn(m): 1:58am On Dec 28, 2021
Noblest of trades
Poorest of professions

1 Like

Re: Why Are Teachers Not Well Paid?? by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:39am On Dec 28, 2021
Bifwoli:
You don't live in America.Do you know how high the taxes are to afford that "good teacher's pay" ? If you live in Ohio in a house worth $500K your yearly tax is about $7000, in New York Mrs Clinton pays $30K per yr as her property tax and in Florida,California,Illinois its just as high especially in San Francisco...these monies used for public school funding.

You're not making much sense here, bros. Why would he live in a house worth $500k, with a tax of $7000 yearly, as a teacher? That doesn't make any economic sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Vodacom Nigeria Ongoing Fresh Job Recruitment May 2018 (3 Positions) / Immediate Recruitment At Mocality Nigeria / Ikeja Electric (esr) 2017 invitation For Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.