Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,866 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Help My Friend And His 98 Camry - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help My Friend And His 98 Camry (2374 Views)

Help With My 98 Camry P0401 Code / AC Controls For 98 Camry / Help My 98 Camry Vibrate On Engine On D, More On AC On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 10:49pm On Dec 27, 2021
Now the problem is that his car engine shuts down in traffic or at times when he slows down.

He has changed
Plugs
Plug wire
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

I have scanned it n here is the DTC, I am thinking it's a sensor issue?

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 4:48am On Dec 28, 2021
Take it to a reliable mechanic.

These error codes are pointing to oxygen sensor at the intake manifold. I am not sure if this will make the car stops on traffic.

Do you normally have hard start in the morning when car engine is cold?
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 5:36am On Dec 28, 2021
no hard starting

oxygen sensor can not cause an engine to shut down in traffic

3 Likes

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 10:01am On Dec 28, 2021
ogawisdom:
no hard starting

oxygen sensor can not cause an engine to shut down in traffic

Yeah. But change them if you can

Check to see if your air filter is dirty

Clean the throttle body too
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Lexusgs430: 10:20am On Dec 28, 2021
ogawisdom:
Now the problem is that his car engine shuts down in traffic or at times when he slows down.

He has changed
Plugs
Plug wire
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

At idle, what's your rev count(idle needle) on .........

1 Like

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by scottyoloye(m): 5:54pm On Dec 28, 2021
Check the oil filter and have the throttle body cleaned. If it persists, increase the idle speed if it’s too low. N.B: don’t use a carburetor cleaner to clean the throttle body rather, use a clean handkerchief and make sure you depress the pedal to achieve thorough cleaning
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 9:45pm On Dec 28, 2021
Lexusgs430:

At idle, what's your rev count(idle needle) on .........

Idle rpm on starting

Almost 900,rpm
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2021
ote author=Dozieson post=108874538]

Clean the throttle body too[/quote]

Air filter recently changed
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ricki: 9:54pm On Dec 28, 2021
ogawisdom:

He has changed
Plugs
Plug wire
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

Head gasket has popped or crack in the cylinder pick one. Water is getting into the cylinder/s. Check to make sure this isn't occurring.
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by chillex8(m): 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2021
ogawisdom:

He has changed
Plugs
Plug wire
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

Replace ect sensor.
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 6:54am On Dec 29, 2021
author=ricki post=108891576]

Head gasket has popped or crack in the cylinder pick one. Water is getting into the cylinder/s. Check to make sure this isn't occurring.[/quote]

Hmmm this should cause over heating?

Car is not over heating at all
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 6:55am On Dec 29, 2021
chillex8:

Replace ect sensor.

Will look in that direction
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 2:59pm On Dec 29, 2021
ogawisdom:
ote author=Dozieson post=108874538]

Clean the throttle body too

Air filter recently changed

Have you cleaned the throttle body?

Again, if no solution, check the car fuel tank to see if it is contaminated with water and dirt.

1 Like

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by MOTIONTECH(m): 3:42pm On Dec 29, 2021
scottyoloye:
Check the oil filter and have the throttle body cleaned. If it persists, increase the idle speed if it’s too low. N.B: don’t use a carburetor cleaner to clean the throttle body rather, use a clean handkerchief and make sure you depress the pedal to achieve thorough cleaning
Increasing the idle speed will increase fuel consumption and reduce the engine life span. Wrong advise. A proper diagnosis will point you to the issue.
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by MOTIONTECH(m): 3:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
ricki:

Head gasket has popped or crack in the cylinder pick one. Water is getting into the cylinder/s. Check to make sure this isn't occurring.
stop na.....what's this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ricki: 7:35am On Dec 30, 2021
ogawisdom:
author=ricki post=108891576]

Hmmm this should cause over heating?

Car is not over heating at all

Ask me how i know .. ... however, i said check to eliminate from probable cause.
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 7:10pm On Dec 31, 2021
ogawisdom:

He has changed
Plugs
Plug wire
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

The major thing in this scan is ur Pedal/Throttle position sensor
I take it your car cooling fan runs directly from battery, if not replace coolant sensor.
Does ur car smoke? dose it lose Oil and coolant? Does it do over heat?

1 Like

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 7:48pm On Dec 31, 2021
erico2k2:

The major thing in this scan is ur Pedal/Throttle position sensor
I take it your car cooling fan runs directly from battery, if not replace coolant sensor.
Does ur car smoke? dose it lose Oil and coolant? Does it do over heat?

Yes fan runs directly no more running like factory spec
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 7:54pm On Dec 31, 2021
ogawisdom:

This was were your problem started, people just kill their Engines with their bare hands
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2021
erico2k2:

This was were your problem started, people just kill their Engines with their bare hands

Most cars in Nigeria are connected directly and still running well. This may affect some cars by sludging up the engine expecially when you use thicker oil. It may not affect some others if they use lighter synthetic oil and service regularly
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2021
ogawisdom:

Is the car still shutting down? Have you check the tank for dirt?
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2021
Dozieson:

Most cars in Nigeria are connected directly and still running well. This may affect some cars by sludging up the engine expecially when you use thicker oil. It may not affect some others if they use lighter synthetic oil and service regularly
Sorry to say but I can tell you are not so clued up when it comes to car. The Temp sensor was put there to control the fan, and these signals are from the ECU.You car running direct from the battery puts a large burden on your car as it goes, it will never charge the battery to its full capacity. The main and only function of your car during the day time is to start your car.
2nd problem is that your car runs cold at start ups and initial movements, fuel/air ratio is fxxxcked up. You will use more fuel.
As per your car oil, you should only use the Oil weight specified by the car manufacturer.
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ogawisdom(m): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2021
ote author=Dozieson post=108972234]

Is the car still shutting down? Have you check the tank for dirt?[/quote]

No dirt in tank

The new mechanic I met says it's fuel pump dt mine is weak grin he even said he will give guarantee if it doesn't solve the problem.

Managing the car like dt for now till 3rd January.

The good part is that it restarts after shutting down n drives up to 4 miles before it happens again
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 11:26pm On Dec 31, 2021
ogawisdom:

No dirt in tank

The new mechanic I met says it's fuel pump dt mine is weak grin he even said he will give guarantee if it doesn't solve the problem.

The good part is that it restarts after shutting down n drives up to 4 miles before it happens again
Check your fuel filter
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by ricki: 1:35am On Jan 01, 2022
ogawisdom:

No dirt in tank

i don tell you already............people and agidi sha
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 1:41am On Jan 01, 2022
erico2k2:

Sorry to say but I can tell you are not so clued up when it comes to car. The Temp sensor was put there to control the fan, and these signals are from the ECU.You car running direct from the battery puts a large burden on your car as it goes, it will never charge the battery to its full capacity. The main and only function of your car during the day time is to start your car.
2nd problem is that your car runs cold at start ups and initial movements, fuel/air ratio is fxxxcked up. You will use more fuel.
As per your car oil, you should only use the Oil weight specified by the car manufacturer.

Bro, how many cars have you used? How does that affect battery? I have my Camry car runs direct and battery lasted for 2 yrs plus.

Again, the major fear in connecting fan direct is that engine will not hit the running temperature at start up thereby affecting fuel economy and sludging up the engine oil.

Some car can hit the half mark temperature after 3mins of warming the car thereby eliminating those stated risk above. I used my Camry for solid 8yrs plus without any single sludge and fuel economy was about 10km/l from home to work. Note: Car was serviced with synthetic oil.

Try to do more research rather than just concluding
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 7:29am On Jan 01, 2022
Dozieson:

Bro, how many cars have you used? How does that affect battery? I have my Camry car runs direct and battery lasted for 2 yrs plus.

Again, the major fear in connecting fan direct is that engine will not hit the running temperature at start up thereby affecting fuel economy and sludging up the engine oil.

Some car can hit the half mark temperature after 3mins of warming the car thereby eliminating those stated risk above. I used my Camry for solid 8yrs plus without any single sludge and fuel economy was about 10km/l from home to work. Note: Car was serviced with synthetic oil.

Try to do more research rather than just concluding
I don't know how old you are but I drove my 1st car gifted by my Old boy while still in Uni in the year 1994. SO go figure, I have been fortunate to only drive brand new cars, At present, I manage a total of 4 cars, A Jeep Liberty, A Toyota Sienna, a BMW 320D and A Range rover sport Autobiography. There goes your answer about how many cars I own. Most drivers drive their car day in day out so do not know when the Engine change sound. We have had this talk about people wiring their cars direct on the Auto section nearly 10 years ago and I'm sure you were not a member then if not you would have seen the issue.
If your car hits the operating temperature within 3 mins of starting from cold something is wrong with your cooling system because your thermostat is meant to be closed from start once the coolant which I hope you are using instead of just water does not make your engine run cold too long and opens once your car hits operating temperature. I xplained the battery drain to you as your fan working directly off your battery is bad for your battery. Fan has a huge drain on your battery when it is on also if its a clutch fan it then has huge effect on your engine output. You really need to google the effect of wiring your radiator straight and how your thermostat works to further understand it.
Also telling me your car was serviced with synthetic Oil is a no-brainer, it only shows your do not even know the engine oil weight poured to your car, mechanic just chose any synthetic they like. Let me ask you, what's written in the oil container's label? or look on your engine oil cap, Toyota would write the Engine weight on the Oil cap, for the Sienna which the Mrs uses, its Oil specification is 5W30. The range rover uses this too.SO if you use 10w40, your guess is as good as mine.
PS, I have just gone fru your username and profile, I can see the catalogue of troubles you have listed with this car and you said you drove this car straight for 8 years no issues? is it not the same car from 2014 I am confused
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 8:13am On Jan 01, 2022
erico2k2:

I don't know how old you are but I drove my 1st car gifted by my Old boy while still in Uni in the year 1994. SO go figure, I have been fortunate to only drive brand new cars, At present, I manage a total of 4 cars, A Jeep Liberty, A Toyota Sienna, a BMW 320D and A Range rover sport Autobiography. There goes your answer about how many cars I own. Most drivers drive their car day in day out so do not know when the Engine change sound. We have had this talk about people wiring their cars direct on the Auto section nearly 10 years ago and I'm sure you were not a member then if not you would have seen the issue.
If your car hits the operating temperature within 3 mins of starting from cold something is wrong with your cooling system because your thermostat is meant to be closed from start once the coolant which I hope you are using instead of just water does not make your engine run cold too long and opens once your car hits operating temperature. I xplained the battery drain to you as your fan working directly off your battery is bad for your battery. Fan has a huge drain on your battery when it is on also if its a clutch fan it then has huge effect on your engine output. You really need to google the effect of wiring your radiator straight and how your thermostat works to further understand it.
Also telling me your car was serviced with synthetic Oil is a no-brainer, it only shows your do not even know the engine oil weight poured to your car, mechanic just chose any synthetic they like. Let me ask you, what's written in the oil container's label? or look on your engine oil cap, Toyota would write the Engine weight on the Oil cap, for the Sienna which the Mrs uses, its Oil specification is 5W30. The range rover uses this too.SO if you use 10w40, your guess is as good as mine.
PS, I have just gone fru your username and profile, I can see the catalogue of troubles you have listed with this car and you said you drove this car straight for 8 years no issues? is it not the same car from 2014 I am confused

You didn't understand what i wrote. Your epistle is not needed. I am telling you from my own experience. Most of the things you read online about cooling will not be same for all countries. We are in a very hot region and connecting fan directly in Nigeria hardly affect some cars(mine and that of my friends). I use Mobil 1(5w 30) and Castrol (5w 30). How many common Fully synthetic oil in Nigeria is not 5w 30? How does the issue I shared relate to connecting fan directly? Did is say I drove the car with no issue? Or no sludge? It means you still don't understand cars after managing so many as you claimed. Everything I said here is from my own experience since 2013 and not google search.

2 Likes

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Jan 01, 2022
Dozieson:

You didn't understand what i wrote. Your epistle is not needed. I am telling you from my own experience. Most of the things you read online about cooling will not be same for all countries. We are in a very hot region and connecting fan directly in Nigeria hardly affect some cars(mine and that of my friends). I use Mobil 1(5w 30) and Castrol (5w 30). How many common Fully synthetic oil in Nigeria is not 5w 30? How does the issue I shared relate to connecting fan directly? Did is say I drove the car with no issue? Or no sludge? It means you still don't understand cars after managing so many as you claimed. Everything I said here is from my own experience since 2013 and not google search.
No my epistle is need cos you lot think cos you own a car others treck, This is the ideology of the man on the street in 9ja so I got to set U straight.
You talking about 5w30 in Nigeria sold N18k for 5 litres and you think is genuine or you want to tell us that the 11 or two times you change your Oil in a year you spend N28k to buy oil?For me every time I go to 9ja I buy fluids frm the UK ship down to service all car.
You also talking of all region not being same in hot country blah bla bla, I have driven in the route 66 B4 from carli in the USA, go and check the temp o n average there, hotter than ABJ and cars are designed to drive in all weather.
And I did not google search not a car mechanic however as Fluid Engineer in the UK, I do know a thing or two about how fluids in car flow and circulate do not really need google claim your car stops in motion how do you know the ECU did not shut it down each time to prevent a castraphopic damage to the Engine?
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by erico2k2(m): 8:43am On Jan 01, 2022
Dozieson:

You didn't understand what i wrote. Your epistle is not needed. I am telling you from my own experience. Most of the things you read online about cooling will not be same for all countries. We are in a very hot region and connecting fan directly in Nigeria hardly affect some cars(mine and that of my friends). I use Mobil 1(5w 30) and Castrol (5w 30). How many common Fully synthetic oil in Nigeria is not 5w 30? How does the issue I shared relate to connecting fan directly? Did is say I drove the car with no issue? Or no sludge? It means you still don't understand cars after managing so many as you claimed. Everything I said here is from my own[b] experience since 2013[/b] and not google search.
@ the bolded lol very funny, I got my UK driving licence 2002 angry angry angry u talking 2013 this is very funny
Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 9:04am On Jan 01, 2022
erico2k2:

No my epistle is need cos you lot think cos you own a car others treck, This is the ideology of the man on the street in 9ja so I got to set U straight.
You talking about 5w30 in Nigeria sold N18k for 5 litres and you think is genuine or you want to tell us that the 11 or two times you change your Oil in a year you spend N28k to buy oil?For me every time I go to 9ja I buy fluids frm the UK ship down to service all car.
You also talking of all region not being same in hot country blah bla bla, I have driven in the route 66 B4 from carli in the USA, go and check the temp o n average there, hotter than ABJ and cars are designed to drive in all weather.
And I did not google search not a car mechanic however as Fluid Engineer in the UK, I do know a thing or two about how fluids in car flow and circulate do not really need google claim your car stops in motion how do you know the ECU did not shut it down each time to prevent a castraphopic damage to the Engine?

I agreed you are who you said you are but be rest assured that I have told you all I know from my personal experience and I never regretted connecting my car directly. I have another camry and it is connected directly. It is working for me and I drive long distance to work. I never said my car stops in motion. I am not the op.

Again, I don't know if the oil I have used is fake or not but my cars have never had any sludge related issues.

1 Like

Re: Help My Friend And His 98 Camry by Dozieson(m): 9:07am On Jan 01, 2022
erico2k2:

@ the bolded lol very funny, I got my UK driving licence 2002 angry angry angry u talking 2013 this is very funny

Congratulations

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help, My Rav4 Ac Not Cooling- Changed Compressor And Condenser To No Avail! / Help! My 2009 Toyota Corolla Is Not Shifting To Gear 4 / Questions On Rx 300 Lexus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.