Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,103 members, 7,828,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video (18554 Views)

Pictures From Ofala Festival In Anambra State / Onitsha Ofala Festival Of Obi Of Onitsha Kicks Off- PICTURES / Ooni Of Ife Arrives Onitsha For The Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival- PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Goodtidenings: 8:05am On Dec 29, 2021
Nka bu nke anyi

4 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Karemarealty288(m): 8:05am On Dec 29, 2021
Billionaire Igwe.

4 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Sammy07: 8:19am On Dec 29, 2021
Frigga13:

Sammy e never reach like this naa. Ah ah grin

Be calming down

grin
Cruise, compliment of the season

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by udukakalu78(m): 8:20am On Dec 29, 2021
Nice one, really beautiful

I buy used or fualty laptop here, check my signature

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by johnpablo541(m): 8:20am On Dec 29, 2021
soliddust2020:
This is beautiful. Igbo Amaka.
To igbos in the house is Ofala festival the same as New Yam festival? And is it celebrated in only anambra because every year i always see pics if the celebration in Anambra.

The Ofala Festival is an annual ceremony practiced by Igbo people, particularly the indigenes of Onitsha, Umueri, Umuoji and other neighboring communities such as Aguleri, Nnewi and Ukpo in Dunukofia Local Government Area.[1] It serves as a rites of renewal of the king or Igwe or Obi and it is similar to the Igue festival in Benin and the Ine, Osi or Ogbanigbe Festival in many mid-West Igbo communities of Nigeria. The term ofala, is derived from two Igbo words - ọfọ (English: authority) and ala (English: land).[2] The festival is celebrated within two days mostly in October by the Obi (English: king) and is a customary obligation that must be performed every couple of years without fail.[3]

HISTORY
According to some oral history sources, the Ofala Festival can be traced back to the 16th Century when Onitsha people emigrated from Benin to the eastern banks of the River Niger presently known as the city of Onitsha and brought with them among other customs, the tradition of monarchy. The festival is akin to the Igue Festival celebrated annually by the Oba of Benin. Some historians also believe the festival is related to the New Yam Festival in Onitsha and devotion of the king to the safety of his people.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Frigga13: 8:21am On Dec 29, 2021
Sammy07:

grin
Cruise, compliment of the season

Una no go kee person for this online community grin

Greetings!
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by victorazy(m): 8:28am On Dec 29, 2021
johnmartus:
I can see that truly igala own Anambra.

grin
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by nonxo007(m): 8:32am On Dec 29, 2021
Terorislam:
Children of hate from brown roof republic will soon come here
This is a very childish and silly comment
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Samuelriano1(m): 8:37am On Dec 29, 2021
Terorislam:
Children of hate from brown roof republic will soon come here
please don't take this hate to 2022,bcus I see no reason for this statement. you people need to grow up , honestly. what's there to jealous
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by FreeStuffsNG: 8:40am On Dec 29, 2021
CannibalTorment:
Cultural slavery, why are his subjects putting on buba and Sokoto, what happened to Igbo wears
That's not Buba and Sokoto and it's condescending referring to folks old enough to be your grandfather as slaves. Even recklessness behind a keyboard has its own drawbacks in life

4 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by ReneeNuttall(f): 8:50am On Dec 29, 2021
Igbo,calabar and Bini culture will always be my favourite anyway anytime.

Especially the Igbo culture. kiss

4 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Landmack: 8:53am On Dec 29, 2021
Sane minds should disregard those illiterate ipob minions turning this beautiful thread to a tribal one.
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by wink2015(m): 8:54am On Dec 29, 2021
Ofala festival used to be celebrated by the Onitsha monarch but now Nnewi town people have joined to organize their own Ofala festival.
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Landmack: 8:57am On Dec 29, 2021
Terorislam:
[s]Children of hate from brown roof republic will soon come here[/s]

illiterate ipob minion...you're very foolish to bring such statement to this thread. Ezi ofia

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by agadez007(m): 8:58am On Dec 29, 2021
johnpablo541:

The Ofala Festival is an annual ceremony practiced by Igbo people, particularly the indigenes of Onitsha, Umueri, Umuoji and other neighboring communities such as Aguleri, Nnewi and Ukpo in Dunukofia Local Government Area.[1] It serves as a rites of renewal of the king or Igwe or Obi and it is similar to the Igue festival in Benin and the Ine, Osi or Ogbanigbe Festival in many mid-West Igbo communities of Nigeria. The term ofala, is derived from two Igbo words - ọfọ (English: authority) and ala (English: land).[2] The festival is celebrated within two days mostly in October by the Obi (English: king) and is a customary obligation that must be performed every couple of years without fail.[3]

HISTORY
According to some oral history sources, the Ofala Festival can be traced back to the 16th Century when Onitsha people emigrated from Benin to the eastern banks of the River Niger presently known as the city of Onitsha and brought with them among other customs, the tradition of monarchy. The festival is akin to the Igue Festival celebrated annually by the Oba of Benin. Some historians also believe the festival is related to the New Yam Festival in Onitsha and devotion of the king to the safety of his people.
Tis is totally not correct
The communities that practice Ofala call land “Ani” or “Ana” and not Ala as claimed,Ofala is a very old tradition and I don’t see how their ancestors would name it with another dialect

2 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Landmack: 8:59am On Dec 29, 2021
ReneeNuttall:

ndeewo nwanyioma

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by AlphikkaTech: 9:03am On Dec 29, 2021
ReneeNuttall:

You've not scratched the surface yet. Come to the Niger Delta proper and you will fall in love over and over with every culture here. The display is unique and mostly unadulterated by other tribal influences.
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by ReneeNuttall(f): 9:05am On Dec 29, 2021
AlphikkaTech:

You've not scratched the surface yet. Come to the Niger Delta proper and you will fall in love over and over with every culture here. The display is unique and mostly unadulterated by other tribal influences.

Wow! I would really love to explore that area too in the future.thanks.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Irondome1: 9:07am On Dec 29, 2021
Igwe igadi ooo

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by ReneeNuttall(f): 9:07am On Dec 29, 2021
Landmack:

ndeewo nwanyioma

Thanks sir,I'm just an admirer, not an Indigen.
But I must say I enjoy ur culture alot especially your food.

3 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Landmack: 9:08am On Dec 29, 2021
SlyDev:
This is beautiful igala festival, I have not seen where igbos are wearing trouser

culture evolves.

And you're very foolish and backward to term our festival as an igala festival. when dey insult ur brown roofs and brown teeth...u start crying all over the place like a headless chicken.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Landmack: 9:17am On Dec 29, 2021
ReneeNuttall:

Thanks sir,I'm just an admirer, not an Indigen. But I must say I enjoy ur culture alot especially your food.
'ndeewo nwanyioma' means greetings fine woman/well done better woman grin
our food? like the legendary oha soup/abacha/ukwa,right?grin
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Ceska(f): 9:36am On Dec 29, 2021
agadez007:
Tis is totally not correct
The communities that practice Ofala call land “Ani” or “Ana” and not Ala as claimed,Ofala is a very old tradition and I don’t see how their ancestors would name it with another dialect
You are very correct. Ovala is an Omambala tradition that other Igbos especially in Anambra copied. Nothing bad in borrowing a beautiful culture though. The Omambalas call ala ,ana. Therefore it was ovoana initially

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by emperor863(m): 9:46am On Dec 29, 2021
MsAllison:

take rice and chop ok?

Take kerosene to cook the heads of the policemen your husbands killed.

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by emperor863(m): 9:51am On Dec 29, 2021
Sheriman:
Had it been we are still practicing regional system of government up till today, this celebration would have been glamorous and remarkable even more than this.
This is beautiful. Abeg I won marry Igbo girl but I be Yoruba boy. I like Igbo girls cos they are beautiful especially any of these ladies named
Chinyeres, Chiomas, Eberechuckwu, Ufiomas, Chinaza and Ngozi

Yoruba wannabe, try Chidinma. She is waiting to despatch to the great beyond.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by ReneeNuttall(f): 9:54am On Dec 29, 2021
Landmack:

'ndeewo nwanyioma' means greetings fine woman/well done better woman grin

our food? like the legendary oha soup/abacha/ukwa,right?grin

Ok greetings noted.

I have an unforgettable experience in 2018 on my way to calabar.We happened to stop at onitsha to refuel our stomach.So I saw people(men and women) eating abacha rambunctiously and the thing come enter my throat. OMO! I never knew I was eating trashy abacha here in Benin untill I tasted the one at onitsha.Gush! The taste was entirely different, coupled with the different traffics inside. Then we also stopped at Enugu on our way back to eat correct ofe onugbu with plenty stock fish and fufu.Twas heaven for a foodie like me.

3 Likes

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by Agricmoney(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2021
Culture is very important

Anyway, Agriculture is life.
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by kendological(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2021
Aanumi16:
Nairaland is the home of tribal bigots.

All of una dey craze
It's too much, just too much.

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by CannibalTorment: 10:47am On Dec 29, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

That's not Buba and Sokoto and it's condescending referring to folks old enough to be your grandfather as slaves. Even recklessness behind a keyboard has its own drawbacks in life
Are you with your senses? how do I refer to them as slaves, is no obvious difference between slavery which is a status and slave, Learn to read without sentiment
Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by jimyjames(m): 11:05am On Dec 29, 2021
CannibalTorment:
Cultural slavery, why are his subjects putting on buba and Sokoto, what happened to Igbo wears
Can you explain what you mean by cultural slavery?

1 Like

Re: Igwe Of Nnewi Colourful Ofala Festival: Pictures & Video by jimyjames(m): 11:08am On Dec 29, 2021
SlyDev:
This is beautiful igala festival, I have not seen where igbos are wearing trouser
So igala's wear trousers? Lol

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alhaji Mamman Isa Okatahi Receives Staff Of Office As Ohi Of Okene / Oro Festival In Ikorodu: Lagos Community Warns Females To Stay Indoors May 16 / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.