Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated (38940 Views)

Desmond Tutu's Ashes Buried Inside Church Floor (Pictures) / Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / Archbishop Desmond Tutu Is Dead. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by NwaNimo1(m): 11:27pm On Dec 31, 2021
The late anti-apartheid campaigner Archbishop Desmond Tutu is to be aquamated - a process using water that is described as an environmentally friendly alternative to cremation.

It was "what he aspired to as an eco-warrior," said Very Rev Michael Weeder.

Thousands of South Africans have been paying their last respects at St George's Cathedral in Cape Town where Tutu's body has been lying in state.

There has been an outpouring of emotion since his death a week ago aged 90.

One man, Wally Mdluli, hitchhiked more than 1,000km (620 miles) from Bloemfontein to Cape Town - enlisting the help of family and friends to pay for some of the trip and even sleeping at a petrol station on the way.

"I feel fulfilled after I saw the coffin. It's like his spirit is in me," he told the BBC's Nomsa Maseko in Cape Town.

Wally Mdluli travelled more than 1,000km to pay his respects to Archbishop Desmond Tutu
"It's a memory [I will have] for the rest of my life," Mr Mdluli added, saying he hoped that he and all South Africans would live according to Tutu's values.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu's burial is expected to take place this weekend. It is not yet known whether his family will opt for a private or public ceremony.

He had insisted there should be "no ostentatiousness or lavish spending" on the ceremony and that he be given "the cheapest available coffin", with the only flowers in the cathedral to be "a bouquet of carnations from his family", according to the Archbishop Tutu IP Trust and the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation.

His ashes are to be interred behind the pulpit at St George's Cathedral in Cape Town - the Anglican diocese he served as Archbishop for 35 years.

What is aquamation?
Aquamation, which uses water, is touted as a greener alternative to cremation, which uses fire. Practitioners say it cuts the amount of environmentally harmful carbon dioxide produced by up to 90%.

The technical name for the process is alkaline hydrolysis - and it involves weighing the body, then heating it to 150C (300F) in a mixture of potassium hydroxide and water for up to 90 minutes.

This dissolves the body tissue, leaving only the bones - which are then rinsed at 120C, dried, and pulverised into a coarse powder using a machine called a cremulator. shocked

Once all these steps are complete, the remains can be buried or scattered in accordance with the deceased's wishes - just as would happen in an ordinary cremation.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-59842728

22 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by God1000(m): 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2021
If the family is okay with it, then there's no problem.
May his soul continue to rest in peace.

Happy new year nairalanders, being alive to witness 2022 is enough reason to celebrate.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by bamdly(m): 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2021
BABA DON GO REST.........
HELP ME GREET NIPSEY HUSSLE THA GREAT

18 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Mrkumareze(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
shocked subjecting the dead body to different stress is what I do not understand. Why not ask to be buried in the grave like every other dead Christian

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by WhizdomXX(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
Kweke. My God this man is an eco-warrior even till the end cheesy . Nice one Bishop Desmond Tutu. We love you.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Tovard(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
Happy new year ! I pray this 2022 we favour us in all ramifications.

Welcome to the year of double blessings.

11 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by DanZenithh(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
Y
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by 3rdavefarms(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
As it was written for a man to die Once and after that Judgement follows ; Eru fun Eru ; Erupe fun Erupe Eruku fun Eruku will end everyone now that it is water for water , breeze for breeze and moisture for Moisture

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by fasho01(m): 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
Interesting

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by jamata20: 11:32pm On Dec 31, 2021
May his soul rest in Peace.

May 2022 be the best year of our life. May we find success, happiness and every of our heart desires.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by peppermint7(m): 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Mad ooh

Even South Africa is years ahead of Nigeria

16 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by wickedtuna: 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Not a bad way to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by jaydeeking(m): 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Good
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Makz: 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
RIP to the dead. RIP Tutu.
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Olololonwa: 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Okay nah
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by YourFavorite21(m): 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Rip
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Possitivevibe: 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
SN Epilo Tutu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Bigheart042(m): 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
Good man with good hrt

1 Like

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by starbuck(f): 11:33pm On Dec 31, 2021
My kind of person..
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Femiwilli: 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
Desmond Tutu was a Freemason, just like most GOs in Nigeria

https://www.discerningtheworld.com/2014/11/19/nelson-mandela-freemason/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Righteousness2(m): 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
Vanity upon vanity!
All those things are not relevant. Whatever they are holding there as arch bishop tutu is pure dust.

The Being called tutu is long gone to stand before the GOD he claimed he cannot follow.
Infact ! HE is right now in his place of Eternity..

8 Likes

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by OGraffix(m): 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
shocked
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by ucyoma(m): 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
They should allow the dead to rest in peace
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by tuna85: 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
Islam, no doubt is a complete way of life.

Proper ways of burying a Muslim have been clearly outlined. No need for cremation or aquamation.

Muslims, let's be proud of what we have. Steadfastness and guidance are very important.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by money121(m): 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
Ok
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Laggafin: 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2021
Will it make the body Aqua immortal?.. they should please allow our Daddy to kontinu dancing and rocking past heavens gate to rest in glorious Peace
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by b3llo(m): 11:35pm On Dec 31, 2021
I don learn. It might interest you to know that cremation and aquamation are much more better than burying. Hopefully in the future Nigerians will start doing it.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Agricmoney(m): 11:38pm On Dec 31, 2021
cool

Anyway, Agriculture is life.
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by chakula: 11:39pm On Dec 31, 2021
Not a bad way to meet with your creator.

1 Like

Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Jokerman(m): 11:41pm On Dec 31, 2021
Hopefully his soul made heaven.... no one knows the mercy of God....

We wish him RIP....
Re: Desmond Tutu: Body Of South African Hero To Be Aquamated by Shellsploit: 11:41pm On Dec 31, 2021
Amazing aqumation !
I don learn another English tonight
Make i quickly note the word for ny jotter sad

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Britons Oppose Oyedepo's School Over "Slaps-Giving" Video / He Was Denied A Job Because His Church Doesn't Pay Tithe / A Nairalander's Life Experience With Mermaids!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.