Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops (1334 Views)

The Cash Crops With Huge Potential In 2022 / 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria / Self-Driving Tractors & Drone Plant & Harvest Crops In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2022
Hey guys, I have 5 acres of land I want to plants on but I’m still thinking of d crops I will are be going to I need help thanks for I need your respond urgently Thnks
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Dekadet(m): 5:50pm On Jan 02, 2022
Maureenibi:
Hey guys, I have 5 acres of land I want to plants on but I’m still thinking of d crops I will are be going to I need help thanks for I need your respond urgently Thnks
Going into farming (agriculture is the best thing anyone can do right now) so where is your farm located? we produce foundation seeds for farmers( seed company) But first tell us what you want and which area because we have different crops suited for different ecological zones.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 9:03pm On Jan 02, 2022
Am in Delta state, so I was thinking of cucumber, Ugu, and okra but as a new farmer, so do u think it will be 2 much 4 me 2 start with d 5 acres
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Dekadet(m): 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
Maureenibi:
Am in Delta state, so I was thinking of cucumber, Ugu, and okra but as a new farmer, so do u think it will be 2 much 4 me 2 start with d 5 acres
Yes and no, yes because you're new and it's like you don't have any practical experience in the production of cucumber, ugwu(pumpkin) and okra so if you start small then you could use that to get first hand practical experience and correct some errors you might have.

And

No only if you can get labourers who are experienced then you could pay them in exchange for their skill then you too could learn from them.

we are based in kaduna and over here anything we are farming now is strictly irrigation and currently we are producing tomatoes to try and prepare for scarcity when it hits during February

1 Like

Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 10:24pm On Jan 02, 2022
If you don't want to waste your money, invest in practical knowledge first before you commit scarce funds to any agribusiness.
It is not as easy as it seems. There are many factors that are working against the success of many agribusinesses in Nigeria. Apart from God, we are still in agribusiness due to our tenacity and passion.
Your choice of crop depends on factors such as:
* Availability of market for the produce.
* Climate requirement for the selected crop.
* Your financial budget.
* Access to quality input.
* Labour requirement.
* Technical know-how.
* Access to market. etc.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 11:04pm On Jan 02, 2022
Yes I was thinking about hiring someone 2 do d planting and fixing of water dats d irrigation on d land, and getting lik 4 workers then buying of good seeds so was planing to start dis month, my budget is million, wit d water and setting up of farm
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by BJanta: 3:22pm On Jan 03, 2022
REUBEN010:
If you don't want to waste your money, invest in practical knowledge first before you commit scarce funds to any agribusiness.
It is not as easy as it seems. There are many factors that are working against the success of many agribusinesses in Nigeria. Apart from God, we are still in agribusiness due to our tenacity and passion.
Your choice of crop depends on factors such as:
* Availability of market for the produce.
* Climate requirement for the selected crop.
* Your financial budget.
* Access to quality input.
* Labour requirement.
* Technical know-how.
* Access to market. etc.

Excellent
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 3:49pm On Jan 03, 2022
Maureenibi:
Yes I was thinking about hiring someone 2 do d planting and fixing of water dats d irrigation on d land, and getting lik 4 workers then buying of good seeds so was planing to start dis month, my budget is million, wit d water and setting up of farm

Do you mean budget of #1million?
You are getting it wrong. You're placing the cart before the horse but I pray it doesn't lead to premium tears.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by fashtos(m): 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2022
Dekadet:
Going into farming (agriculture is the best thing anyone can do right now) so where is your farm located? we produce foundation seeds for farmers( seed company) But first tell us what you want and which area because we have different crops suited for different ecological zones.
Which company do you work for?do you have pepper seeds?
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by fashtos(m): 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2022
Maureenibi:
Cultivating 5 acres of land is a huge project.that's 2 hectares of land...is huge for a novice in agriculture.to be on the safer side ,don't dare make any attempt to cultivate any vegetable crops cos it will surely end in premium tears .if the land is fertile,try plantain.a novice can manage that on a large scale
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Dekadet(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2022
fashtos:
Which company do you work for?do you have pepper seeds?
Yes we have pepper 25grams satchet and 100g tin.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Dekadet(m): 11:05pm On Jan 03, 2022
angry
fashtos:

Cultivating 5 acres of land is a huge project.that's 2 hectares of land...is huge for a novice in agriculture.to be on the safer side ,don't dare make any attempt to cultivate any vegetable crops cos it will surely end in premium tears .if the land is fertile,try plantain.a novice can manage that on a large scale
please stop discouraging her, people who make mistakes get correction and become perfect or Masters in the long run, but never trying at all because of discouraging tales from bystanders will leave one a novice for life.

she said she was going to hire people to set up to the irrigation facility, what you should be asking is which type of irrigation and are the people experienced. angry[quote author=fashtos post=109048080]
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 1:07am On Jan 04, 2022
Thnks 4 d advice, just want 2 know somethings b4 I start, and yes my budget is 2millon, maybe I should just start with one acre and just do only cucumbers for now, well am paying people 2 do work 4 me den learn from dem all maybe I should just plant pineapple everywhere and wait for 18 - 24months
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 2:28pm On Jan 04, 2022
Dekadet:
angry
please stop discouraging her, people who make mistakes get correction and become perfect or Masters in the long run, but never trying at all because of discouraging tales from bystanders will leave one a novice for life.

she said she was going to hire people to set up to the irrigation facility, what you should be asking is which type of irrigation and are the people experienced. angry

The person you quoted just gave a honest opinion. You don't need to lose so much just because you want to gain experience. Managing vegetables on a large expanse of land can be overwhelming for a novice compared to other less technical crops.

I've suggested that she seek practical knowledge from successful farmers first before committing her funds but it seems she just want to jump processes.

Her chance of succeeding is higher when she has practical knowledge even with her employing experienced hands.

1 acre of cucumber is not a child's play and is a project worth millions of naira if gotten right. You don't just rely 100% on your farm staff. They can hold you to ransom or even dupe you when they know that you know nothing about the business. There are cases of farm staff sabotaging investments worth millions just because the farm owners refuse to oblige to their ridiculous requests.

We are not finding it easy in the sector even with our years of practice.

Anyway, what do I know? She may have further reasons for relying 100% on her farm staff.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 2:33pm On Jan 04, 2022
Maureenibi:
Thnks 4 d advice, just want 2 know somethings b4 I start, and yes my budget is 2millon, maybe I should just start with one acre and just do only cucumbers for now, well am paying people 2 do work 4 me den learn from dem all maybe I should just plant pineapple everywhere and wait for 18 - 24months

Wish you the best.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 11:42pm On Jan 04, 2022
Ok Mr Reuben, I should just back up and keep my money, and leave d land de 4 now, I have a small palm oil plantation, of about 9 acres and a fish pond 4000 fishes, u kw all dis collect money dats y I wanted 2 go 4 a short term crops maybe dat can be given me Miney every 2 or 3 months, but truly am confuse now, maybe I should just look 4 something else to do
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by fashtos(m): 3:13am On Jan 05, 2022
Dekadet:
angry

she said she was going to hire people to set up to the irrigation facility, what you should be asking is which type of irrigation and are the people experienced. angry
This is not discouragement...did you know what to take to manage a hectare of land?
Even the irrigation you are talking about..did you know how much it will cost to buy irrigation kit for a hectare?
Even as an entrepreneur,you don't invest much on a biz you have no idea when starting.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 1:14pm On Jan 05, 2022
Maureenibi:
Ok Mr Reuben, I should just back up and keep my money, and leave d land de 4 now, I have a small palm oil plantation, of about 9 acres and a fish pond 4000 fishes, u kw all dis collect money dats y I wanted 2 go 4 a short term crops maybe dat can be given me Miney every 2 or 3 months, but truly am confuse now, maybe I should just look 4 something else to do

I quite understand you. An alternative is to:
* Take trips to any successful farm of the desired crop you want to cultivate close to your location for a real life experience,
* Create a good network with the technical person and ask that he mentor you,
* Read up articles on the Internet about cultivation of your desired crop,
* Follow up Okoroemeka's thread on cucumber here on Nairaland,
* Follow up FarmerAkinloye's thread on cucumber here on Narialand,
* Start up with 1plot maximum as pilot,
* Get consistent good results from the 1plot over 3cycles,
* Expand gradually after repeated successes,
* Connect with inputs sellers,
* Be prayerful,
* Finally, build enough confidence and guts because it won't be that easy.

If you can follow up the highlights above and more, you're 85% close to success.
Cheers.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Maureenibi(f): 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2022
Maybe I should just use 2 acres for the 3 crops I want to plant is dat one ok, or maybe I should just go for pineapple and rest my case wat do u think? Cos is lik d vegetables will be too hard 4 me wat do I think
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by sunbreaker: 2:55pm On Jan 05, 2022
Maureenibi:
I will pick okro and ugu. But try to put irrigation plan in place. A bag of okro in River state is 60k and you can harvest okro every five day interval
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by REUBEN010(m): 4:15pm On Jan 05, 2022
Maureenibi:
Maybe I should just use 2 acres for the 3 crops I want to plant is dat one ok, or maybe I should just go for pineapple and rest my case wat do u think? Cos is lik d vegetables will be too hard 4 me wat do I think

In my opinion, you are already late for Ugu because you won't enjoy high market price for up to 2 months. The rains will soon be here to crash Ugu price (except you have a special market or you are considering growing it for pods against next dry season.
Okra on the other hand is a money spinner with low technicalities. You may cultivate this but must back it up with appropriate irrigation plans. Remember to cultivate a variety that is very much accepted by your target market.

But why are you so fixated on cultivating large expanse of land even with your limited knowledge? Do you know that 1 acre that is properly managed is better than mismanaged 10 acres?

What is your source of water (borehole, river, dam, water board etc.)?
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by sulorog(m): 7:56pm On Jan 05, 2022
Why don't you plant cassava in all the land , you don't need experience for that.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by sulorog(m): 8:03pm On Jan 05, 2022
Why don't you plant cassava in all the land, you don't need experience for that.
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by fashtos(m): 2:40am On Jan 06, 2022
Dekadet:

Yes we have pepper 25grams satchet and 100g tin.
Okay.great...how can I get it
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Dekadet(m): 10:29am On Jan 06, 2022
fashtos:

Okay.great...how can I get it

where are u located and what quantity do you need, I would link you to any of our outlets closest to you. we have sweet pepper( variety- California wonder) and hot pepper
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by Ufeolorun(m): 11:04am On Jan 06, 2022
How can you have acres of palm and alot of fishes and refer to yourself as inexperienced? thats really funny. Some of the skills youve acquired managing your palm is very valuable -going forward. the water from the fish is commonly used as fertiliser, some other resources you have niw can be shared

pick any crop, get decent people who are into the chosen crop, learn from them , start small and relate to them often in case you hit a wall . Build confidence and scale. Veggies are the easiest to grow as long you manage them well.

Maureenibi:
Re: I Need 5 Lucrative Cash Crops by fashtos(m): 3:37pm On Jan 06, 2022
Dekadet:

where are u located and what quantity do you need, I would link you to any of our outlets closest to you. we have sweet pepper( variety- California wonder) and hot pepper
Am in Ekiti.

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Invest In Your Agricultural Business / Agribusiness For All In Africa / We Have All Kinds Of Oil Extractor...@ DcentGlobal..650k Negotiable!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.