Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc (2922 Views)

ASUU Strike And Nysc 2013 Batch C Mobilization. / Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc / Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by Xris74: 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2007
Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And NYSC

With a PhD degree, do you need an NYSC certificate to:

1. work in the federal/state service?
2. Work in the private sector?

Thanks for your candid response.
Re: Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by student001(m): 2:29am On Jul 30, 2007
NYSC certificate is mandatory if you must secure a graduate level job in Nigeria.
As a PhD holder you must serve no matter where you obtained your degree from.

I think it is being extended to the private sector as well. As I earlier stated, any graduate level job in Nigeria.
I also learnt that it has become a criteria at the embassies if you are going abroad to study for a Masters degree.
Re: Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by Xris74: 6:51am On Jul 30, 2007
Thank you very much for your response. A friend of mine got a wow offer for an MSc degree abroad and could not wait to serve in 2003. During the VISA process then, he never was asked for the NYSC cert. I should think NYSC is national and not required by foreign universities. He is almost rounding off a PhD program and is wondering if to return to Naija. You mean he has to first serve before he can get a job, especially as he has just passed the age of 30?
Re: Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by student001(m): 3:35am On Aug 01, 2007
He had his first degree when he was under 30 and should have served before traveling. As I earlier stated, he will need to serve if he is interested in working in Nigeria or even political appointment. In recent past, the senate had to ask NYSC for verification of service discharge certificates of ministerial nominees.

As regards the embassies, it can be viewed on two grounds; one, agreement with the federal government and second to prove that the person had actually graduated with a first degree especially those going for masters. I think it is a recent development, i did not have to present mine in 2002 either.

My cousin graduated with me in 1997 and left for London on the eve of our mobilization to NYSC camp. He did not serve with us. He went back to Nigeria to serve in 2005. He actually wanted a job and was told point blank he must show his NYSC discharge certificate; since, he did not have it he was forced to serve. Though, he ended up not taking up the job. However, he's had that sorted once and for all.

There is also a secret to this, your mate can still have an exemption certificate issued to him based on certain circumstance this is open to exploration because i do not know what the rule books say to that effect. There is no harm in trying.

Wishing him the best.

Visit: The Nigerian Student and Tell us Your Story, You can also Join our Community
Re: Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by smile007: 10:03am On Aug 02, 2007
Hello guys How do u think one can apply for NYSC when he/she is studying abroad ? Does this mean he have to go back home or what , is does NYSC have any website site? really need more info smiley
Re: Phd Degree (obtained Outside Nigeria) And Nysc by student001(m): 11:11pm On Aug 05, 2007
I am afraid you will have to contact the NYSC direct.
Can't seem to find their web site, it's a pity.

(1) (Reply)

Ten Hilarious Tweets On NYSC Corps Can Be Mobilized For War - NYSC DG / Ebonyi Batch A,2016 Corp Members / What Can I Do During NYSC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.