Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL (1648 Views)

I Want To Create A Forum Like This One / If I Want To Develop A Forum Or Mini Blog Should I Design Like Nl / How To Create A Forum Like Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by OfficialGaGa(m): 11:32am On Jan 04, 2022
PS. I am not a tech savvy... pls pardon any of my mistakes

Hello bosses in the house, the thing is I really don't know much about programming n software development ish... etc... but I have an idea.... to start a Forum like NL but NOT identical, nor a REPLICA... but a lil similar forum to explore other options that NL does "cover"

so gurus in the house pls be honest with me, to start how much money will be needed... (high end website) to create the site, hosting etc... And how much do u think I will spend in the long run with technical support team or staffs....

pls u can just give a ballpark figure for
1. high end website
2. normal average or regular website...

PS. I am not a tech savvy... pls pardon any of my mistakes...

thanks guys
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 11:50am On Jan 04, 2022
OfficialGaGa:
PS. I am not a tech savvy... pls pardon any of my mistakes

Hello bosses in the house, the thing is I really don't know much about programming n software development ish... etc... but I have an idea.... to start a Forum like NL but NOT identical, nor a REPLICA... but a lil similar forum to explore other options that NL does "cover"

so gurus in the house pls be honest with me, to start how much money will be needed... (high end website) to create the site, hosting etc... And how much do u think I will spend in the long run with technical support team or staffs....

pls u can just give a ballpark figure for
1. high end website
2. normal average or regular website...

PS. I am not a tech savvy... pls pardon any of my mistakes...

thanks guys
Ok for a start you need
A frontend developer
A backend developer
A ui/ux expert.
Maybe a product manager

For a start one person could be the ui/ux and frontend developer
The other person a backend and product manger/team lead.

Let’s say frontend dev 150k - 250k/month
Backend developer/team lead 150k - 250k per month

If your developers are productive, in the first two month they should be able to match what Nairaland functionality offers especially if they use Agile methodology and if you don’t distract them.

Other roles are graphics designer, Agile master, social media expert and SEO expert, marketer etc

So on the software side you should be looking at 1.5M with a timeline of roughly 3 months to get started

There are also other cheaper strategies though.

Na free consultancy I just give you so o

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by OfficialGaGa(m): 11:58am On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

Ok for a start you need
A frontend developer
A backend developer
A ui/ux expert.
Maybe a product manager

If your developers are productive, in the first two month they should be able to match what Nairaland functionality offers especially if they use Agile methodology and if you don’t distract them.

Other roles are graphics designer, Agile master, social media expert and SEO expert, marketer etc

So on the software side you should be looking at 1.5M with a timeline of roughly 3 months to get started

Thanks boss.... I really appreciate... God bless you sir
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 2:43pm On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

Ok for a start you need
A frontend developer
A backend developer
A ui/ux expert.
Maybe a product manager

Aren't there already existing free software solutions that can be used? NL for example was built on the open source SMF forum software with customisation done when needed.

Even Donald Trump, in his attempt to deploy a rival to Twitter, is using Mastodon; an open source solution to get the platform kick startedi believe OP can use Discourse software as an MVP to test out his idea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 3:25pm On Jan 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Aren't there already existing free software solutions that can be used? NL for example was built on the open source SMF forum software with customisation done when needed.

Even Donald Trump, in his attempt to deploy a rival to Twitter, is using Mastodon; an open source solution to get the platform kick startedi believe OP can use Discourse software as an MVP to test out his idea
Like I said there are other strategies.
Meanwhile understand that different strategy has different technical debt.
Using SMF also need modifications with frontend and backend developers. CMS get in your way when you want some thing they specifically worked against. Making it a little difficult to implement new ways.
Cms gets you started but …
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

Like I said there are other strategies.
Meanwhile understand that different strategy has different technical debt.
Using SMF also need modifications with frontend and backend developers. CMS get in your way when you want some thing they specifically worked against. Making it a little difficult to implement new ways.
Cms gets you started but …

So I always counter this position by using real life analogies. If you wanted to start a taxi business, would you start off by building a custom made vehicle or would you go and buy a 2006 Toyota Corolla and start Uber?

If you wanted to do say some data analysis, would you start of by using Excel or would you invest time and energy building a doped out data analysis software?

If you wanted to start a smartphone brand would you use Android OS or would you rather build a bottom-up OS built specifically for your use case?

Forums have been tried and tested in the world and there is almost nothing new that can be added to them. My advice would always be to start with an existing solution to reduce your cost to get to market while you tweak and adapt the tool you choose to use to get into the market.

I mentioned the example of Trump and Mastodon. I'm 100% certain that Trump has the war chest to start building a microblogging software from scratch. But he chose to use an existing solution. Successful businesses leverage by climbing on the shoulders of proven solutions

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 3:57pm On Jan 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:

So I always counter this position by using real life analogies. If you wanted to start a taxi business, would you start off by building a custom made vehicle or would you go and buy a 2006 Toyota Corolla and start Uber?

If you wanted to do say some data analysis, would you start of by using Excel or would you invest time and energy building a doped out data analysis software?

If you wanted to start a smartphone brand would you use Android OS or would you rather build a bottom-up OS built specifically for your use case?

Forums have been tried and tested in the world and there is almost nothing new that can be added to them. My advice would always be to start with an existing solution to reduce your cost to get to market while you tweak and adapt the tool you choose to use to get into the market.

I mentioned the example of Trump and Mastodon. I'm 100% certain that Trump has the war chest to start building a microblogging software from scratch. But he chose to use an existing solution. Successful businesses leverage by climbing on the shoulders of proven solutions
The simple conclusion is if the core of your business is not what sound like a CMS concept don’t go such route.

If the secondary needs of your business are what are custom and primary needs are CMS then use CMS.

Custom solution sometime are cheaper and more lite weight than any CMS you can find.

If I needed a tools to simply manage my personal inventory, Practically most available CMS around will be bloated with things I don’t need. Only custom solution would come to my rescue.
Above you mentioned Excel, If my business needs has just fewer needs than using excel. my lightweight custom software would be better, the only difference is that my software shouldn’t be dope like you mentioned, it should be very lightweight to do only what I need at the moment and maybe a little uglier.

Also some business owners are opportunistic and don’t have a good idea of their business goals. They change it now and often. It is best to use a custom solution which is lightweight and easy to change(Agile methodology)

Existing solutions aren’t always a magic bullet if it was Facebook, Twitter or yahoo should have started like that. But then none existed. But they crafted a light weight solution.
Most company this days fail because they tried to craft some heavyweight dope solution.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

The simple conclusion is if the core of your business is not what sound like a CMS concept don’t go such route.

If the secondary needs of your business are what are custom and primary needs are CMS then use CMS.

Custom solution sometime are cheaper and more lite weight than any CMS you can find.

If I needed a tools to simply manage my personal inventory, Practically most available CMS around will be bloated with things I don’t need. Only custom solution would come to my rescue.
Above you mentioned Excel, If my business needs has just fewer needs than using excel. my lightweight custom software would be better, the only difference is that my software shouldn’t be dope like you mentioned, it should be very lightweight to do only what I need at the moment and maybe a little uglier.

Also some business owners are opportunistic and don’t have a good idea of their business goals. They change it now and often. It is best to use a custom solution which is lightweight and easy to change(Agile methodology)

Existing solutions aren’t always a magic bullet if it was Facebook, Twitter or yahoo should have started like that. But then none existed. But they crafted a light weight solution.
Most company this days fail because they tried to craft some heavyweight dope solution.

Valid points. However I will still ask, if you wanted to start a car hire business and had the choice of a free Mercedes-Benz or build your own customer vehicle, which would you choose?

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 6:03pm On Jan 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Valid points. However I will still ask, if you wanted to start a car hire business and had the choice of a free Mercedes-Benz or build your own customer vehicle, which would you choose?
My problem is very common and sure common solution should do it. I am going for the Mercedes-Benz
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

Ok for a start you need
A frontend developer
A backend developer
A ui/ux expert.
Maybe a product manager

Why u dey fall devs hand na?

Which dev will take 250 k a month to build a site like NL in 3 months. Sites like NL are high end sites, no be childs.

Only high end devs can do it well and they are not cheap.

1.5 MILL Naira Cant build a custom site like NL. Even 100k used cant.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2022
LikeAking:

Why u dey fall devs hand na?

Which dev will take 250 k a month to build a site like NL in 3 months. Sites like NL are high end sites, no be childs.

Only high end devs can do it well and they are not cheap.
I was talking to a start up company. 250k is the price for a mid-level dev. Nairaland is not a high end site on the software angle. Maybe on the marketing aspect

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 10:24pm On Jan 04, 2022
stanliwise:

I was talking to a start up company. 250k is the price for a mid-level dev. Nairaland is not a high end site on the software angle. Many on the marketing aspect

The site looks ugly lame on the outside, but inside its top notch inside.

Even 3 devs cant build NL in 3 months.

Just check the size of the file.

The 250k per month mid-level devs cant handle a job like this effectively. It will flop.

I know how long it takes to code even the smallest of things effectively.

Devs build and test at the same time and it takes so much time.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by OfficialGaGa(m): 10:42pm On Jan 04, 2022
LikeAking:

The 250k per month mid-level devs cant handle a job like this effectively. It will flop.

So like how much u think will go for it.... a ballpark...
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 12:29am On Jan 05, 2022
LikeAking:

Inside is top notch☺️☺️☺️☺️ Okay o. Top notch Wetin?

There is nothing top notch about nairaland,you’re over estimating nairaland. Nairaland has content is the reason it is thriving don’t confuse the two. A mid-level dev flopping in space of two month ain’t one to begin with.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 8:43am On Jan 05, 2022
stanliwise:

There is nothing top notch about nairaland,you’re over estimating nairaland. Nairaland has content is the reason it is thriving don’t confuse the two. A mid-level dev flopping in space of two month ain’t one to begin with.

I am talking about the engine = simple machines.

Just look at all the futures of NL engine, it also has an admin section take that into consederation.

Its not some thing for a mid devs in Naija.

And it will require lots of people to build not even 3 ppl.

Download the file and check.

Or better still try to build it from the scratch.

This is a big project form the scratch.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 8:47am On Jan 05, 2022
LikeAking:

Just look at all the futures of NL engine, it also has an admin section take that into consederation.

SMF that is so so so so simple
Infact the name is Simple Machine Forum.

Go to web archive and see that Seun just modified some functionality alittle.

I really don’t know your level of coding though, maybe you’re the one seeing it that way.

Nairaland here is as a result of hardwork in making content and marketing

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 8:54am On Jan 05, 2022
stanliwise:

SMF that is so so so so simple
Infact the name is Simple Machine Forum.

Go to web archive and see that Seun just modified some functionality alittle.

I really don’t know your level of coding though, maybe you’re the one seeing it that way.

Nairaland here is as a result of hardwork in making content and marketing

Nothing is easy in programming.

If its easy, how many Nigerian have built it from the scratch?

Until u start building a project like this from the scratch u wont understand.

If its that easy Seun for build im own.

Even big comps use Simple Machines and co. If e easy dem for code am sharply.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 10:09am On Jan 05, 2022
stanliwise:

Ọmọ, I shock when I see "top notch" and "Nairaland" side by side. I had to go and download SMF to be sure we are talking about the same SMF that NL slightly customised.

Like you said, NL's strength is content and brand visibility. In terms of topnotch they have a very stunted growth.

If I was starting a Forum today I'd probably be using more advanced solutions like Discourse or Reddit open source

2 Likes

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 10:11am On Jan 05, 2022
LikeAking:

You don't have to build anything from the ground up for it to be easy. If not everyone will be reinventing the wheel because they want to "build from the ground up". Use existing tools and leverage on them

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 10:34am On Jan 05, 2022
LikeAking:

What the heck are you saying?
Abegi, and who is “until u start building a project like this”?

I currently work professionally as a programmer and I maintain real life business website. So I don’t understand this your talk.

Infact I don tire. Have a good day

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 10:43am On Jan 05, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Ọmọ, I shock when I see "top notch" and "Nairaland" side by side. I had to go and download SMF to be sure we are talking about the same SMF that NL slightly customised.

Like you said, NL's strength is content and brand visibility. In terms of topnotch they have a very stunted growth.

If I was starting a Forum today I'd probably be using more advanced solutions like Discourse or Reddit open source
The guy just dey yarn dust. He no see flutter or paystack to call top notch na one SMF script he dey call top notch. He is prolly a beginner still on the wow moment so I don’t blame him.

Discourse is a great choice but you may need to consider the stacks and tools. Would you be able to hire devs to maintain discourse. Because discourse is built I think using python. I don’t know if there are a lot of good python devs in web space.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 10:49am On Jan 05, 2022
stanliwise:

The guy just dey yarn dust. He no see flutter or paystack to call top notch na one SMF script he dey call top notch. He is prolly a beginner still on the wow moment so I don’t blame him.

Discourse is a great choice but you may need to consider the stacks and tools. Would you be able to hire devs to maintain discourse. Because discourse is built I think using python. I don’t know if there are a lot of good python devs in web space.

Ember. js with Ruby on Rails. I'd mostly be using it vanilla if I were starting
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by Ebuka5: 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2022
I wish I'm as good as all of you guy here
I'm a tech and programming lover
But I don't know how to learn this thing

If anybody can advise me will be very much grateful
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by Chifrando(m): 8:09pm On Feb 01, 2022
There are many scripts availabe to test, using script saves time and money too
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by biz2get(m): 1:27pm On Feb 04, 2022
LikeAking:

This is Trash talk...
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 4:34pm On Feb 04, 2022
biz2get:

This is Trash talk...

OK!
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 4:39pm On Feb 04, 2022
stanliwise:

NL engine is top notch in its league..

Comparing NL engine with pay stack and co.

Are they de same thing?

OK!

PayStack that u mentioned is great but its easier to code than NL engine.

I fir bet all my ballz.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by airsaylongcome: 9:52pm On Feb 04, 2022
LikeAking:

Are they de same thing?

OK!

I fir bet all my ballz.

Are you kidding me now? Seriously? SMF is top in its domain? On what criteria do you make this assertion?
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by stanliwise(m): 10:14pm On Feb 04, 2022
LikeAking:

Are they de same thing?

OK!

I fir bet all my ballz.

abeg I can't continue in this drunk talk.
have a good day
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 10:19pm On Feb 04, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Are you kidding me now? Seriously? SMF is top in its domain? On what criteria do you make this assertion?

OK!
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by LikeAking: 10:27pm On Feb 04, 2022
stanliwise:

abeg I can't continue in this drunk talk.
have a good day

OK.

Bu dont compare a forum site with a fin tech app.
Re: How Much Is Needed To Kick Start A Forum Like NL by Hannania(m): 10:57pm On Feb 04, 2022
stanliwise post =109070056:

Ok for a start you need
A frontend developer
A backend developer
A ui/ux expert.
Maybe a product manager

This is pure joke. 150k to 250k for a team lead back end developer to design Nairaland kind of site? Lol

Thats the amount Nigerian start ups pay junior devs not to talk of a team lead. I see the project crashing already with that budget for the kind of programmers you'd employ..

(1) (2) (Reply)

C++ Book / Asp.net And Microsoft .net Technology Followership / Anyone With Help On Java App Creation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.