Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,216 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec (4466 Views)

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 100X Zoom Camera, 108 Megapixels - This Is It! / Samsung Galaxy A40 Launched With 25MP Front Facing Camera: Spec, Feature / Do Higher Megapixels Translate Into Better Cameras/photos? The Truth.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:30pm On Jan 08, 2022
As most people are starting to become more tech enlightened these days, you hear them make use of the words “megapixels”. They do this to try to rate different camera abilities on different smartphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_IycP0E8o

Smartphonemakers encourage this too. They tout the amount of megapixels present in their camera sensors and turn a blind eye to other camera specifications. This might lead one to believe (more often than not) that megapixel counts are the “alpha and omega” when it comes to rating camera abilities. These days however, there is another school of thought that believes that camera prowess and ability should be evaluated by the size of the sensor as well as that of the pixels too.

For those who may not know, a pixel is a light collecting bucket on a camera sensor. A megapixel simply means that there are a million pixels on the sensor. A camera with 12 megapixels (12MP) has 12 million pixels arranged on the camera sensor to help catch light (I have explained the process in detail here).

A camera sensor is a photographic plate at the rear end of the camera. It holds the pixels that are used to catch light as well as the electronic circuitry to convert the light into electric signals and send them to the phone’s Image Signal Processor (ISP) for post processing (a more detailed explanation can be found here).

The pixels that catch light also come in different sizes measured in micrometers (µm). The bigger the pixel size, the more light it can catch.

THE MEGAPIXEL ARGUMENT
The number of megapixels used in a camera is very important. A high number of megapixels boosts the resolution of an image. The image retains a lot of details from the scene, especially when zoomed in. It also provides a very quick and easy way to rate cameras. This is very true when you look at 1MP cameras against 5MP cameras or 8MP cameras against 12MP cameras. As soon as you go over 12MP cameras and start heading towards 48MP and 64MP, things start to get a little mixed up. The problem is compounded when pixel binning is thrown into the mix.

THE PIXEL/SENSOR SIZE ARGUMENT
The size of the pixels and sensor used in building cameras is rarely talked about. In fact, a lot of people barely even know that they exist but they are very vital to determine camera performance. The size of the sensor affects the type (size) of pixels used. It also determines the number of pixels that a manufacturer can pack into the sensor. A big sensor means that they can pack bigger pixels into the sensor. Even if they choose not to use bigger pixels, they can pack a lot more smaller pixels into the much bigger sensor. Small pixels (0.8µm) do okay in bright daylight but perform horribly at lowlight conditions. Bigger pixels work excellently in daylight and they do very well in the dark as they can collect a lot more light and render a better image than small pixels.

THE HEAD TO HEAD
Megapixels counts are only good for image resolution and for packing a lot of details. The size of the sensor on which they are packed on is much more important. A camera with a high megapixel count (48MP) made up of small 0.8µm pixels can be totally destroyed by a 12MP camera with 1.4µm (or even 2.4µm) sized pixels.

wp-1595156430466.jpg

The sensor on the left has 12 boxes. Each box is representing a million pixels so it is a 12MP camera. The one on the right has 48 boxes representing 48MP. The 12MP camera on the right has the bigger pixels and sensor. It will take better photos both day and night, completely outperforming the smaller 48MP. The smaller 48MP sensor would combine 4pixels (or boxes) together so as to get a wider surface area. This will boost its performance, but that would effectively reduce it’s resolution back down to 12MP.

Today, there are so many companies touting cameras with a high number of megapixels all over the place. So it is important to note that all 48MP cameras are not equal. Some 48MP cameras with very small sensors and even smaller pixels would give you terrible shots. Some 12MP cameras will give you flagship grade performance. Both Apple and Google use 12MP cameras. Their cameras give out better shots than most 48MP cameras in the market today.

WHAT MAKES UP A GOOD CAMERA?
Well a good camera should have good hardware (well sized image sensor and pixels as well as a good megapixel count). It should also have a good software to process those photos. Software in photography has started to take a more pivotal role these days.
If a company fails to post their hardware specs or release them to reviewers beyond the usual megapixel count, then they are practising false advertising and you probably should not buy from them.

https://inquisitiveuniverse.com/2020/07/19/megapixel-count-vs-pixel-and-sensor-size/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by sureinfo: 10:38pm On Jan 08, 2022
Nice, thanks for the info, I'm still very much flexing the amazing camera on my phantom x

6 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by OwoukoUrua(m): 3:37am On Jan 09, 2022
Wow!

This is very enlightening

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by dawnomike(m): 8:52am On Jan 09, 2022
Thus is an eye opener... Thanks Op

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Mohbola(f): 8:59am On Jan 09, 2022
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by DozieMartin: 9:26am On Jan 09, 2022
What that matters is, do I have the money to buy the phone I want?

4 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by scarycuteface(m): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2022
Another critical point and that is why we manage the one we can afford
DozieMartin:
What that matters is, do I have the money to buy the phone I want?

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by soundOsonic: 2:59pm On Jan 09, 2022
Are we buying phones or camera. I believe everyone should get a camera for good resolution. No need for all this pixel wars on phone. The resolution of average phone is normal. Any addition is altering the actual image or just more beautification features

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 3:18pm On Jan 09, 2022
Mohbola:
Thanks

You're welcome.
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 3:18pm On Jan 09, 2022
OwoukoUrua:
Wow!

This is very enlightening

Yeah it is.
dawnomike:
Thus is an eye opener... Thanks Op

You're welcome.
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Freelancerx: 3:19pm On Jan 09, 2022
Technology is evolving and that is why this kind of discussion need to be had
soundOsonic:
Are we buying phones or camera. I believe everyone should get a camera for good resolution. No need for all this pixel wars on phone. The resolution of average phone is normal. Any addition is altering the actual image or just more beautification features

4 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 3:19pm On Jan 09, 2022
soundOsonic:

Suit yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Kirkman: 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2022
Nice write-up. It opened my eyes to the fact that Goliath is not always the best, sometimes a small David can do the job better grin
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2022
Freelancerx:
Technology is evolving and that is why this kind of discussion need to be had

That was how some people told us here on Nairaland that the knowledge of processors (SoCs) is a waste.

That Helio P22 is good. As long as the phone works. That's what matters. That phones are not meant for gaming.

Today now they're singing about Helio G series and how processor is important. Talking about how G95 is a gaming processor.

As you see me, I no get power again. Anything when them believe. I agree. This na new year.

4 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2022
Kirkman:
Nice write-up. It opened my eyes to the fact that Goliath is not always the best, sometimes a small David can do the job better grin

These companies na scam oh bro. Always do your research. Haven't you noticed that people are complaining about Redmi 10 (MTK Helio G88) and Samsung Galaxy A12 (MTK Helio P35) because of their bad cameras.

That's because Mediatek sucks at image processing.

So no just only look the megapixel. There are many things to look at.

3 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by DarkJeddi(m): 9:24pm On Jan 09, 2022
soundOsonic:
The best camera you have..

Is the one available at that moment..

Do you expect people to be walking around lugging cameras?

When they are not professional photographers?

Cameras matter in a Smartphone..

3 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Randerl: 9:28pm On Jan 09, 2022
@atheistandproud another eye opener to those believe that screaming "Canon 19 Pro" is the best with 258MegaPixelis Kamera.

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2022
Randerl:
@atheistandproud another eye opener to those believe that screaming "Canon 19 Pro" is the best with 258MegaPixelis Kamera.

Good to see see you bro.

I don repent. I no dey fight again. Even Mohbola na my sweetheart now sef. Untill her husband go wipe me with 2 by 4.

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Randerl: 9:44pm On Jan 09, 2022
atheistandproud:

Good to see see you bro.

I don repent. I no dey fight again. Even Mohbola na my sweetheart now sef. Untill her husband go wipe me with 2 by 4.

grin grin grin grin

Nobody dey quarrel our other friends na make dem up their game.

Some of their devices just dey push me towards Samsung M series.

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Kirkman: 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2022
atheistandproud:

These companies na scam oh bro. Always do your research. Have you noticed that people are complaining about Redmi 10 (MTK Helio G88) and Samsung Galaxy A12 (MTK Helio P35) because of their bad cameras.

That's because Mediatek sucks at image processing.

So no just only look the megapixel. There are many things to look at.
So lemme ask, if these phones were powered by a Snapdragon processors would the image qualities of the cameras have been better and why are manufacturers switching from Snapdragon to Mediatek processors these days.
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2022
Kirkman:

So lemme ask, if these phones were powered by a Snapdragon processors would the image qualities of the cameras have been better and why are manufacturers switching from Snapdragon to Mediatek processors these days.

Snapdragon SoCs are bloody expensive and are kind of scarce due to the global chip shortage.

Mediatek on the other hand is cheaper and more readily available.

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 11:04pm On Jan 09, 2022
Randerl:

Nobody dey quarrel our other friends na make dem up their game.

Some of their devices just dey push me towards Samsung M series.

No be lie boss.

I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by smith946: 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2022
Nice write up..

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 11:45pm On Jan 09, 2022
smith946:
Nice write up..

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Idrisab(m): 4:00am On Jan 10, 2022
Infinix and Tecno with 48 MEGAPIXEL shit all the time

With blurry pictures grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by Kirkman: 5:37am On Jan 10, 2022
atheistandproud:

Snapdragon SoCs are bloody expensive and are kind of scarce due to the global chip shortage.

Mediatek on the other hand is cheaper and more readily available.
I thought as much..
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by chocoboi: 6:00am On Jan 10, 2022
Good write-up wink
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by sunshineV(f): 8:43am On Jan 10, 2022
na why iphone 12MP dey flog Tecno and Infinix 64MP

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by NightFood: 6:45pm On Jan 15, 2022
nice, thanks for info op, really good to know

2 Likes

Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2022
NightFood:
nice, thanks for info op, really good to know

You're welcome
Re: Why Megapixels Are A Misleading Camera Spec by atheistandproud(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2022
chocoboi:
Good write-up wink

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guys, Which One Should I Go For and why?HuaweiY9,Redmi Note7 And Nokiax6. / Just Got Myself The Galaxy S21 Ultra. / Smart Movie 4.15 Unlock Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.