Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy (242 Views)

Gay Marriage Is Accepted By Oyibos. Should African Christians Forbid Polygamy? / Bible Actually Supports Drinking Of Wine. Don't Let Anyone Fool You / The Bible actually preached For Us To Eat Our Tithes? see for yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by Mille: 6:02pm On Jan 09, 2022
This thread is not to bash any religion or promote the criticism of any religion. This is mainly for learning purposes.

I have heard a lot of pastors and Christians say that polygamy is not allowed. While I understand that it is not something Christians may approve, no one has been able to convince me that God actually forbids polygamy. Nowhere in the bible is it explicitly commanded that "thou shall not take multiple wives".

*I understand that the books of Timothy and Titus states that a polygamist is ineligible for church leadership. Polygamy itself is not forbidden.

*Genesis 2:24 also says that Polygamy is not God's original intent but it was also something he allowed (cc; Jacob, David, Solomon).

*In Deuteronomy 17:17, God commanded against a king taking many wives. It therefore should not be understood as a command that no one should ever take more than one wife.

Lastly, If a polygamist converts to Christianity, what is he supposed to do.

Thanks; an aspiring polygamist.

1 Like

Re: Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2022
king david..... confirmed polygamist, well respect man of your holybook, never ever punished by your god
king Solomon..... confirmed polygamist, well respect man of your holybook, never ever punished by your god
Abraham...... confirmed polygamist, well respect man of your holybook, never ever punished by your god
Re: Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Jan 09, 2022
Mille:
. *Genesis 2:24 also says that Polygamy is not God's original intent but it was also something he allowed (cc; Jacob, David, Solomon).
How did you arrive at the claim in bold above? undecided
Re: Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by POLYGAMY: 7:07pm On Jan 09, 2022
Kobojunkie:
MILLE PLEASE DON’T REPLY THIS ANT-CHRIST

1 Like

Re: Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by Mille: 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh

The principle of monogamy seems to be implied by "Shall be one flesh". The language itself points to the unity of just two persons. But still nowhere does it discourage or forbid polygamy. I'm still interested in answers that can prove biblically that polygamy is forbidden.
Re: Did The Bible Actually Forbid Polygamy by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2022
Mille:
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh

1. The principle of monogamy seems to be implied by "Shall be one flesh".

2. The language itself points to the unity of just two persons. But still nowhere does it discourage or forbid polygamy. I'm still interested in answers that can prove biblically that polygamy is forbidden.
1. Principle of monogamy or principle of marriage? undecided

2. The language points to a union between an agreement between a man and a woman - the unit. However, the language does not in any way limit a ma or woman to only one such union, or does it? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Gospel Singer, Dunsin Oyekan Rap In Tongues (Video) / The Blessings And Benefits Of The Resurrection Of Jesus. Part 61. / Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.