Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience (618 Views)

(Video) Woman Display Madness in Bank As This Happened To Her 58 Thousand Naira / I Think Fintech Banking Is The Way Now! Our Banks Are Scams. / Black Friday Madness In Shocking Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:03pm On Jan 11, 2022
I started banking with Oceanic Bank. Eco Bank inherited us after the merger... Since then I've been a loyal customer of Ecobank till sometime in 2021 when the bank could no longer take care of my business need. I had to open a UBA account. I had a Mastercard and Visa card linked to my UBA. Everything was going fine till something happened and I had to block the two cards. I went to all the five branches of UBA in my city to collect new card, but each time I go, there will be long queue in each of them. I hate long queue.

Now I decided to make Ecobank my primary bank once again. Activating the mobile app on my new phone was a challenge. Doing online transaction with the Verve card was a challenge. I went to two of their branches but nobody had any clue on how I could activate ordinary mobile app. As for their card, I was told they no longer support internet transactions.

I needed to move on so I thought about my next move. I remembered that there are banks that don't have large crowd so I went to a keystone branch, it was like a college library; very quiet. So I requested to open account and then asked how long it will take before they gave me a card. I was told that their machine for printing on card is faulty so it would take up to two weeks. I left because I needed a card desperately.

I went to heritage Bank, they gave me a form, I returned it the next day with all the requirements. I forgot to even ask about the card. After submitting I was told that I will receive my account number in few hours time. That day passed, next day passed, till after one week, no show. I went back to them and as usual, they apologized, but I wasn't taking it so I moved to another keystone branch.

Everything in this branch was smooth. I got my account number and a Mastercard same day. Later in the day I tried to link the card to my add account to no avail. I called their customer care, I was told to wait for 24 working hours. After that no show. I called again and they kept giving me hope until I couldn't have it again then I went back to that branch. That is when they told me that keystone no longer support internet transactions.

I had to return to Heritage. By this time they had sent me the account number but I had not transferred a dime to it. I inquired about their card. They told me it's not instant; I will have to apply and come back in two weeks time because it was already the last week of December. I asked about online transaction, they said their card doesn't support it. I asked why, they said a lot of fraud have been reported, the same thing keystone told me.

At this point I had no option than to go and queue up at UBA. I finally got a UBA Mastercard on the 24th of December. So out of my now four banks, (Eco, keystone, Heritage and UBA) only UBA card supports internet transactions.

UBA app is very poor. It opens only when it likes.
Keystone app is very much reliable when compared with UBA, but I have doubt about it's security; a close observant aquaintance can access it.
Ecobank doesn't have mobile app because you can no longer activate It once you have any cause to change device or delete your old app
I've not installed Heritage app because I now use the account as kolo.

So my people, my UBA card is now a treasure. I don't ever step out of my house with it.

Who else have experienced this type of frustration?
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by soundOsonic: 10:05pm On Jan 11, 2022
Sorry o, you ain't lucky bro
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Barbiturate(m): 10:12pm On Jan 11, 2022
Try GTB.
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:15pm On Jan 11, 2022
Barbiturate:
Try GTB.
There are only two branches of GTB in my entire city. When I was working for one media organization, we used GTB. It wasn't easy
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by obojememe: 10:17pm On Jan 11, 2022
Try AB microfinance bank nigeria
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:17pm On Jan 11, 2022
soundOsonic:
Sorry o, you ain't lucky bro
Lol. Maybe I don't have patience. I hate getting close to bank hall. With my card and mobile app active, I don't see myself going inside bank, so it was very frustrating for me
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Barbiturate(m): 10:18pm On Jan 11, 2022
uncleck:

There are only two branches of GTB in my entire city. When I was working for one media organization, we used GTB. It wasn't easy

I don't have issues with GTB. I do online transactions with my card. I use their app for transactions too.
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by kingphilip(m): 10:20pm On Jan 11, 2022
Those low budget abi low-end banks always disappoints.

I don't really know how they're still in the business after the Soludo bank recapitalisation some years ago.

Try GTB and Zenith, you'd get a far more better experience.
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by SportsHD: 10:24pm On Jan 11, 2022
uncleck:
I
Union bank is still the best. I've been to around ten branches In different cities and the customer care is awesome. No stress whatsoever, most of their users are old people so, the halls are always not so packed. They support online transactions.

Since when I've been transferring, there's nothing like, "money has not entered, maybe network problem".

Needless to say; they're top notch.
That's the Only good thing about buhari. His 20% shares in union bank.
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:34pm On Jan 11, 2022
SportsHD:

Union bank is still the best. I've been to around ten branches In different cities and the customer care is awesome. No stress whatsoever, most of their users are old people so, the halls are always not so packed. They support online transactions.

Since when I've been transferring, there's nothing like, "money has not entered, maybe network problem".

Needless to say; they're top notch.
That's the Only good thing about buhari. His 20% shares in union bank.
You may be right. Union was my NYSC bank buy I only used it for the alawee and forgot about it thereafter.

1 Like

Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Kobicove(m): 10:38pm On Jan 11, 2022
uncleck:

Lol. Maybe I don't have patience. I hate getting close to bank hall. With my card and mobile app active, I don't see myself going inside bank, so it was very frustrating for me

I have business accounts in both UBA and Keystone Bank including online banking apps...I have never encountered the problems you mentioned here with them
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Kobicove(m): 10:39pm On Jan 11, 2022
uncleck:

You must be in Enugu
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:57pm On Jan 11, 2022
Kobicove:

I have business accounts in both UBA and Keystone Bank including online banking apps...I have never encountered the problems you mentioned here with them
Maybe run Facebook add and try to pay with your keystone card or buy something online with it
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 10:57pm On Jan 11, 2022
Kobicove:

You must be in Enugu
Nope. Owerri
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by webxpert107: 1:04am On Jan 12, 2022
Man! All this trouble for online transaction card. I guess we should say thank you to GTB and Access bank for not letting us even know such problem exist out there in other banks.

Everything is so instant now adays. Got my access card within minutes of requesting for it... As for GTB, those ones are on another planet, you can practically print out your card yourself at anytime of the day and night.
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by uncleck: 7:32am On Jan 12, 2022
webxpert107:
Man! All this trouble for online transaction card. I guess we should say thank you to GTB and Access bank for not letting us even know such problem exist out there in other banks.

Everything is so instant now adays. Got my access card within minutes of requesting for it... As for GTB, those ones are on another planet, you can practically print out your card yourself at anytime of the day and night.
Maybe GT will be my next bank. But there's something with UBA, their ATM makes withdrawal very easy. Just enter 150k once then stay back and watch it dispense your cash in 20k tranches
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Twoclans(f): 7:32am On Jan 12, 2022
I was just giggling as I was reading because everything the OP wrote is spot on.The banking system is just a shadow of itself.Except for one or two banks that still value service and good customer experience .
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Froshloaded: 9:37am On Jan 12, 2022
Twoclans:
I was just giggling as I was reading because everything the OP wrote is spot on.The banking system is just a shadow of itself.Except for one or two banks that still value service and good customer experience .

Twoclans happy New year...I hope you are doing good..
Re: Banking Is Pure Madness In Nigeria: My Experience by Twoclans(f): 10:42am On Jan 12, 2022
Froshloaded:

Twoclans happy New year...I hope you are doing good..

Happy new year dear .Wishing you a splendid year ahead.

I am doing great .Thanks .

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Advertise with $300 and get paid $500 or $3,000 profit share + $100k salesprofit / If You Want To Sell Your Pi / I Need Info About Inverters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.